Question from some one relatively new to Berserk: Why do some humans look completely ordinary while others look way too...

Question from some one relatively new to Berserk: Why do some humans look completely ordinary while others look way too swole or monster-ish to be human? For example the disciples, these niggas don't look human, people can't get that swole, are they apostles in disguise? Or Wyald's "human form" for that matter

People can be this ugly IRL, mutations happen

"human form"

The bird guy explains it, they're deformed humans rejected by the normies

damn

Not a lot of affirmative action for the deformed in this world sadly.

So their jobs end up being less than savory.

Human limits seem to be far higher in that world just for convenience and ease of character design. I mean, Guts' sword might weight 100kg at least and he can lift it with one hand.
It's possible that your guy trained his strength far more than Guts, given that the latter was training with a sword that happened to be big.

All of them are literally disfigured except for the bird guy, who just can't have any skin exposed to sunlight. Them not looking like humans is essential to their characters.

Mozgus hits his face against the ground really hard every day so much that it’s flattened over time.

Wyald is an apostle. Pretty much all of them have non-human characteristics even before they transform into their full form. Grunbeld, Snake Baron, and Zodd all come to mind.

Guts has been shown to have broken the human limit. No regular human can get as strong as Guts without the same kind of training and literal lifetime of fighting for his life, from the moment he was born.

I'm saying Guts is far more well-rounded, having superb speed, endurance, combat strategy etc. That's why he won. Meanwhile, OP's brute may be able to lift heavier shit, that's all.
Not to mention those guys look like they've been through some shit themselves.

That bird guy looked very normal, attractive even. He lost the genetic lottery

>people can't get that swole
You'll get there eventually, kiddo

Oh yeah my bad, i must have misread shit. I totally agree though. Guts is a certified badass, whereas the other guys in Op's pic are just deformed, either making them nothing but strong or tiny fucks who can run fast or something.

best

There are people like that IRL.
Just look for disfigured or deformed ones.

Are there really a lot of people on Sup Forums only reading Berserk for the first time now because the anime is coming out?

really?

I get it for a less well known manga like idk Parasyte but Berserk has been uinversally lauded and praised on Sup Forums for 10 years.

IF you hadn't read it already why would a shittily-made anime persuade you?

nah not watching it because of the anime, just because

reading it*

If Guts can get so strong in one arm he can swing that giant "sword", why can't other people? Why are people constantly surprised at what Guts can do? There has to be more people in a medieval world that aspired to be great fighters.

Yeah but there's a high turnover rate.

Just saying if you can get progressively stronger like that, anybody should.

it seems kind of unfair that the victims of apostles are also sentenced to the abyss lol

I've noticed more people starting to read Berserk too. My guess is because they've heard that of the new anime. Which is pretty cool since the anime is supposed to make more people read Berserk.

why do some people become apostles and other become goddohand?

fate

Grunbeld and Zodd were probably freakishly swole even before they turned into apostles.

You really have no idea how heavy the Dragonslayer is, user.
Here engineer’s CAD model of one in CAD, with realistic assumptions with regards to materials and weight.

Comes out to nearly 400 pounds. Real-life Zweihanders were less than 10 pounds. Guts is swinging around with one hand more than most people can deadlift once.

>tfw I remember how much of a good guy birdman was before Guts takes his life
>tfw I remember his backstory
>tfw I remember he thanked God for letting Mozgus saves him
How can Miura go full shounen with those Sea God and pirates? REÈEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

But it he can, others should too, right?
Yeah that's true, but they are also freakishly huge.

Even if it's within "normal" human potential to become as strong as Guts in the Berserk universe, almost nobody has had the type of lifestyle and training Guts has had (since birth) to realize that potential.

However, the series DOES point out normie humans who come close to Guts. Serpico can go almost toe-to-toe with him before eventually losing (even Guts admits that his was a hard fight), and the mustachioed knight that's now traveling with them can also royally fuck shit up. Not to mention how the hueg Mozgus henchmen could probably swing around the Dragonslayer as easily as Guts could. So even though Guts represents peak human potential in the Berserk-verse, there are definitely others who approach it

Rosine is the most extreme case, probably. The count however looked very human. Far from average but I don't remember seeing something to make me think "this guy isn't human" other than him crushing that heretic's head with his hands

>good guy
>tortures innocent people to death for a living
No

they have special behelits too

We can assume that no, unless they live in the interstice. I'm certain that pre-eclipse Guts wouldn't be able to swing that thing. Lift it yes, maybe even toss it but not swing.

Though Guts is human, his abilities are now super-human due to his existence on the Interstice. No other human could possibly use the DS unless they met three requirements
>Unbelievable natural strength
>Offered as a Sacrifice, yet lived
>Sheer will to influence physical reality through spirit

if humans that interact with demons or get killed by them get sent to the abyss, where do humans that don't go?

>Though Guts is human, his abilities are now super-human due to his existence on the Interstice.
Where are the proofs

I think the finer details of the afterlife are kind of ambiguous.

Skull Knight explains it at some point. Someone more closely acquainted with the manga might be able to give you a chapter.

To the nicer version of the Abyss. Flora herself said that it's impossible to preserve your consciousness in the deepest layers of the astral world. If Hell is made of negative feelings then Heaven must be made of positive feelings. It can also explain why Vargas ended up in Hell (his life was full of suffering and he desperately wanted to avenge his family). It's extremely unlikely that a different kind of Heaven exists in Berserk world.

This is silly. It's not a real sword. In the manga Isidro was able to lift it. A kid like that wouldn't be able to lift 400 pounds. It's clearly less heavy than that.

it is obviously not a sword, is too big, too thick and too crude to be called a sword, is more like a big crude heap of iron.

>s impossible to preserve your consciousness in the deepest layers of the astral world.
Fuck that shit

>In the manga Isidro was able to lift it
No he didn’t. He got one side of it a little off the ground using leverage before failing utterly.

You guys really think it's because Guts now exists in the interstice?

I've always liked the idea of a completely human Guts, and he just overcomes everything through pure human will, like he did his whole life

Doesn't that make Guts less of a person than everyone else who worked hard without existing just shy of Hell?

>innocent people
A heretic is a heretic, we couldn't be expected to understand what those people are going through, just like how we can never fully understand the middle ages

It is said that those who reside in the interstice can affect matter with the mind to an extent. Guts wields the sword not just because his arm is strong but because his will is too.
Seeing Mozgus' treatment of that mother, we can very safely assume that among the heretics also were actually innocent people

That I can agree more with, and fits exactly how I've known Berserk. Guts doesn't survive solely because he's got a big sword, or because he has a canon in his arm, Guts survives because of his will to live. He's truly a struggler and he survives because he struggles. It just so happens now that he exists in the Interstice that his will has a more profound effect

Honestly this whole time I thought people were just saying that Guts is alive because of his boosts

Same kinda. No real intention on watching the anime at all

I'd wager Grunbeld, Zodd, and the rhino guy Boscogne could probably do it

Berserk plays fast and loose with what is physically possible for an ordinary human, if you think they're bizarre wait until you reach the onion men

Guts is the strongest warrior in history, in his own universe. His level of strength and skill are unique, which is why he is one of the only people that can wield the dragonslayer.

Also there are weapons that are a lot heavier than the dragonslayer, such as the torture wheel used by Mozgus' henchman.

When are these guys going to be relevant again?

>Guts is the strongest warrior in history,
Skull Knight

We don't know yet if Gaeseric could have fought on an equal footing with Guts

Never, they're going to be the fly on the wall, forever.

I'm one of this wave. Berserk has been in my backlog for a long time and the recent wave of threads finally made me begin with it.

>Casca wakes up, sanity restored
>Walks outside
>Guts is there, waiting anxiously for news
What happens next?

Guts trips, impales his other eye on a rock and dies

>What I want.
One of those jump-into-arms hugs.

>What I expect.
Stunned depressive silence as Casca slowly pieces together what's happened.

Guts starts crying. Casca starts crying. Schierke and Farnese are crying because they just experienced the eclipse. Puck and the other elves are crying because of their empath abilities. Everyone is crying.

why do some apostles become elf-like shits in their human form? rosine for instance, why doesnt she look human but instead elf-like

>blind Guts struggles so much more from now on
Wow, now i want this.

>they embrace
>Casca has a 1000 yard stare because she remembers everything
>Guts is staring off into space because he simply can't believe that it worked and that something actually worked out for once

>Farnese couldn't handle seeing the Eclipse and has gone insane

Zodd's human form doesn't really look human either.

Could be based on the form they want to take, or it just varies from apostle to apostle.

I don't know why, but I fucking love this panel. These two guys are just the greatest

I hope they and Luca's entourage make it out of Falconia alright.

He still lifted it slightly. A boy like Isidro wouldn't be able to move a 400 pound sword.

>finally save Casca
>Lose Farnese and/or Shierke in the process
That'd be depressing.

BAZUZO! THE GREY KNIGHT BAZUZO!

Farnese and Serpico are worth way more than Casca

any one else interested in chapters regarding the origin of the godhand? I'd like to see what void or slan were like before their transformation

>lose Farnese
Acceptable

I wish he would lose Isidro or Puck.

If everyone but Guts achieves happiness it'll serve to magnify his suffering, so it's likely they'll be A-OK

Farnese is one of the best characters.

*most useless

When Casca regains her sanity she will officially have no role to play on the team

Still made more of an impact than Isidro or Ivarela ever has. Besides, she's a magic trainee now.

I would think two spellcasters to be better than one, but what do I know?

Apostles "human forms" aren't human at all - they're generally not meant to be, with a few exceptions. This is what Wyald actually looks like as a human. I doubt guys like Grunbeld were actually that tall, or that Zodd looks like a manbear. We won't know unless we see them die.

Like if Griffith dies, he'll revert to his emaciated/tortured body, probably.

The torturers are all freaks/mutants in one way or another, but still human. Only the big baby faced hulk is really freakishly swole.

Not that user, but that also means the statement "Guts is the strongest warrior in history" is moot

There are plenty of great human fighters in Berserk. Most notable members of the Band of the Hawk were pretty strong/skilled. Griffith and Serpico had really skilled dex builds. Boscogn was a freak. Even Prince Pajeet and his rock men would be seen as supernatural by normal dudes. Guts is just stronger than them all. It's been noted he's a master swordsman a lot. Rakshas, Irvine, Zodd, and Grunbeld were all probably strongest before becoming Apostles.

I think him outskilling and forcing Zodd to transform at the Hill of Swords is a good indicator of it all. He beat an immortal superhuman blood knight in a swordfight, but started getting smacked around hard when Zodd turned into a flying bear. Even the strongest humans can just barely struggle against the supernatural. Look at what happened to Skull Knight.

Locus and the Count looked pretty normal

Yeah, I think it probably varies. The count looks the same. Locus has some bizarre bony ridges on his brow. Irvine looks fairly normal. I think Apostles end up looking how they want to/how they deserve to, to a certain extent.

He did mention it somewhere that he and the others do not enjoy the job, but they do it anyway because of Mozgus?

You say it like that's a writing flaw and not a change that Farnese herself is going to be struggling with.

Yeah, they do it out of love for Mozgus and can probably cope with it out of apathy for normal people, who rejected them.

>A character is only as good as his power level in combat

"GET OUT, GET OUT NOW NORMIEEEEEEEE", but memes aside Farnese is the best character next to guts when it comes to "fights". She is the only side character that didn't get an epic power up that trivialize the monsters, like fucking isidro with a lava dagger kills 10 trolls casually because he learned to roll and that gives him invincibility frames or something? The fucking trained solders around him get obliterated in one monster fart in an arc before that, I was speed reading through every battle arc that has him and Sirpeco in it. On the other hand Farnese is the only side character with believable interesting "battle" panels is a great example. This one panel is 100x more interesting to me then 10 pages of Serpico flying over a town and beheading trolls with a flick of his wrist, while everyone looks up at him going "woooooww he master his magic cape so quicklyyy".

Im not even going to argue the merits of her as a character out side of battles.

Who would win in a fight between pre-Eclipse Griffith and Serpico?

Serpico, grifith couldn't do shit vs end of golden age arc guts.

On the other hand, once all this high fantasy stuff breaks it's going to be catastrophic.
It'll be just like all the pre-Eclipse stuff, times ten. Every good thing that happens to Guts and his merry crew of travelers is storing up bad karma for the future.

It's a toss-up without knowing how their speed matches one another, but I'd probably give it to Serpico, simply because he lasted any time at all against post-Eclipse Guts.

I dunno, Serpico didn't manage to do much to Guts even in the most ideal situations/settings where the big guy couldn't use his sword.

I think Serpico is probably sneakier/more tactical, but that Griffith is probably faster/stronger/better with a sword.

I think the key difference was that Serpico knew he stood absolutely no chance against Guts in a straight fight, whereas Griffith was arrogant and hadn't noticed Guts' growth in strength and as a fighter.

Look at the angle you fucking spazwit, it was tilted. It's not like he lifted it flat off the ground. He pushed one end of the sword up in to the air a slight bit, then died under the weight, it's not the same as lifting the entire thing. The majority of it was on the ground.

Isma and Roderick cry because everyone else is crying. Azan cries because he's in touch with his emotional side. Serpico smiles gently.

Skull Knight's warning about what she might or might not want make me feel like there's gonna be some bad drama.

Who knows what the future holds, i felt it was fairly predictable in a good way how things would play out but Miura is an old lazy rich man now so who knows.