what do you guys think about Junji Ito's mangas

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/Hn5Sb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they are good

Stories are good but the endings are nearly always shit

>mangas
Lurk more.

I love most of his endings because he rarely explains anything that happens, most horror media wants to give everything a backstory.

Just finished that yesterday. It was fun, stupid at times but just pretty enjoyable.

I read all of his shit and enjoyed most of it. It was then that I realized how hard it is to find another manganka with a similar style that has a lot of work out there.

Any sane person would leave the city after 3 people suddenly got turned into fucking snails.

No, seriously, what's the problem with that chick? The guy with glasses was the only normal person in that city.

Some weird ass shit, but that's why I like it. Cosmic horror, gothic horror, body horror, he does it all and he does it well.

I wish there were better scans of some of his shit.

It's the effect of the town, iirc the guy was at least aware of the spiral powers because he went to school outside of it, so he didn't spend as much time as the others locals within it's influence, so he could tell it was fucked up even before shit began to hit the fan.

There's always one question that must be asked.
How the FUCK did that guy get under the house?

There it is. Thank you, user

DRRRRRRR/10

GASHUNK

best threads on Sup Forums

Plenty of best girls

Fuchi best girl

People talk about Uzumaki too much and Tomie not enough.

Yeah, I actually like the fact that this shit makes as little sense to the reader as it does to the people suffering through it.

I think once the spiral infects you, it's impossible to leave. You'll always get sucked back into it no matter what.

Always good for a fun reread once in a while

I kinda want to do a Tomie story time.

overrated

Yes please

i started reading the dissolving one i like it i think the guys little sister is actually good and trying to scare people away from her brother

Yeah, I think there were a few decent conclusions like Amigara Fault, but most just kind of cut off.

Uzumaki's probably my favorite of his works, but I still think the ending felt pretty unsatisfying.

His comedy is better than his horror

Uzumaki was a fun read

>pic
cute

Uzumaki's the gateway for horror manga.
I'm sure most people that heiled him as the best horror mangaka haven't even read works from other horror mangaka, like Suehiro Maruo, Usamaru Furuya, Shintaro Kago, Umezu Kazuo, etc

It's a long story,,,

Wait does this read left to right? It rolls from the front of her face to disappearing into her head, but then its there again? I still haven't read uzumaki but I don't think its showing a teleporting eye here

I want to lock Tomie in my basement, kill her, and fuck the abominations that spawn from her body!

RAWR

Poor guy, you could tell he was really trying to make spirals seem scary,. Sometimes he succeeds, sometimes the story falls flat. It really isn't easy to do, but it helps that he doesn't take himself too seriously.

I honestly think his stories are his weakest point. It starts with an interestig concept but the execution comes out flat.

These two were the only leads of Ito's that I got attached to.

Wish they didn't give up in the end.

My favourite ito story is the one where this family convince the guy going out with their daughter who happens to be a draft dodger that the war is still going and that he has to stay upstairs because they blame him for her death so something. Some twists he does are pretty bad but the twist in that story was unnerving as fuck.

I love the way my boy junji draws women

The splatter honey one is really good btw

Junji Ito's strong point is his mastery with the uncanny, in his art, his characters, his plots. The thing with horror is that it is subjective, but what Ito does is that he uses the uncanny to create an uneasy feeling that is always there, even in his most stupid stories like his cat diaries.

I think the guy is basically the H.P. Lovecraft of our time. Most of his works rely on his own blend of cosmic horror, and on uncanny and unexplainable events and creatures. I hate the tendancy of explaining everything in most modern horror fictions, this guy is among the few to get that understanding a threat makes it less threatening. Also, seriously, Lovecraft himself wouldn't have denied Uzumaki or Hellstar Remina.

Do it

why no junji ito anime

why only ova and shitty live action movies no one wants to watch

It's not that he needs to explain shit but his stories often end too abruptly. Just as you're getting into the story, you're suddenly slapped with a "The End". It's highly dissatisfying

Sauce?

Yeah, that one had a pretty clever ending.

Junji Ito's excellent at paneling which is a bit harder to transition to timing in an anime format.

What do people think of manga like Fuan no Tane? Most of it is shit but there's some stories that creep me the fuck out, the hallucination one of the guy listening to white noise especially.

only if you're a retarded studio like the one doing Berserk.

if you're a competent storyboarder, it's a breeze

just don't turn the story into being about the characters. just make it an atmospheric horror piece like it's supposed to be.

did berserk getting an adaptation realy hurt you that much moefag ?

Good presentation, and the fact that all his stories center around very limited yet disturbing imagery and phenomena give them a unique power. They carry the same sort of emotional weight that an episode of the Twilight Zone would, which makes them very engrossing and engaging. This all falls apart when it becomes apparent that he apparently has no idea how to end a story other than showing something scary and unexplained on the very last page, and then cutting it off

You don't have to be a moefag to see how bad the Berserk anime is. This is coming from a fan of the series, fuck man it's cancer.

nah, anyone with half a brain can tell the storyboard artist didn't give a fuck. or, from what i've seen, doesn't exist. the animators just use the manga as reference without actual storyboarding which is why the pacing is fucked up.

i'll tell you a secret. i haven't read most of the manga.

They never really scare me, but they are sexy

Pretty Gud. Don't think they are actually scary (so far)

But the characters can sometimes look 99% the same which sucks

Bro.. I am pretty sure he meant to say the berserk 2016/7 is bad. Not the actual series.

Besides that moe loli ecchi anime is cancerous and will always be worse than berserk. Even retarded Muslims know that

My favorite is probably the PEOPLE ARE MOSQUITOES AND TREES ARE HUMANS one because it actually had a pretty good ending and the twist was actually surprising.

They're great. So much entertainment.
I'll binge all ito junji works as soon as they're available in english.
I've read all of them

I enjoy his work.

Except for Gyo.

And the one about the girl's brother who just sat around eating cooking grease. He was gross. It was gross. Thinking about it makes me feel gross.

imgur.com/gallery/Hn5Sb
Best Itou Junji story

None of his works scare me. They show uncomfortable or grotesque stuff. But not scary.
Hell the one OP posted is kind of insane at times.
Guys riding tornadoes?

Except for the bully. Holy shit that last panel is great.

>expecting to be scared by ito junji works
that's where you went wrong

>Horror mangaka
>Not scary
What? I felt unease at times but that's because the stuff was uncomfortable. Not frightening.

>that bit where he leans over here and squeezes the oil from his face onto here
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

It's from Hellstar Remina. Damn, ever heard of reverse image search ?

works that make you feel unease, discomfort, shock, or revulsion can be considered horror too.

Newfag detected.

>There was a chance they could've made it out if they ran away together at the beginning

fug

Never got the appeal. The only stories that were any good were the one with that dude who had long dreams and that joke one where the guy ends up underneath the support pillar for the house. And even then, he completely fucks up the ending on the dream one by having the guy turn into some weird monster thing.

I've always hated this story. Probably his most disgusting work.

Same. I gag every time I read it. But now I want to share the pain with others.

Do you just "run away" the moment you start realizing you have a bad dream?
Characters in horrors are always extra retarded but Ito gets a pass because it kind of works with his brand of nightmarish atmosohere.

Moreso I think he is actually still well aware of it because he has turned morbid curiosity of his characters into a joke in that poop manga.

Pretty sure every edgy high schooler has read them so far

edgy high schoolers are more into things like keion and eromanga.

On the other hand, people who proclaim he's shit for plebs are contrarian morons. Even if he's not "the best" he's very talented.

Kind of like how they wanted to share the grease

If you're going to tell the other user the source, why be an asshole about it? If you think he's being dumb, then just don't reply.

Not paranoia-nightmare inducing, but really unsettling and uncomfortable.
I really liked the one where the guy dreams for a millenia for some reason.

Those are cunchyroll spergs. Ever heard of tokyo ghoul?

>Do you just "run away" the moment you start realizing you have a bad dream?

I "run away" when people in my school turn into giant snails, yes.

>People still find media scary

What is this, the 70s? I haven't felt scared from a manga or a movie or a book in fucking forever.

That's probably why I like Ito so much, it doesn't need to be "scary" to be horror. His atmosphere is perfect.

Suichi is good boy, he dindu nuffin

but moefags are Sup Forumstards.

Pretty much. It's near impossible to make manga "scary" because the author can't control the pace at which the reader reads. Reading quickly ruins any kind of tension.The only reason why that korean webtoon with the charging woman is scary because the author forces the reader to slow down by having a million panels with each essentially as one frame of the action.

pretty crazy, haven't seen anything like it
makes me sad that he's not making that game with kojima and del toro

He needs to do a 40k story. The craziness in his stories falls in line with Chaos contrivances.

>prolapsed anus in the sky eats the moon
alright what the fuck

Would you fuck Fuchi?

>gigantess
>professional model
>stylish
>could indulge in your vore fetish
Fuchi is literally made for love

Part of me only thinks Fuchi attacks people because they treat her badly. I'm sure if someone pampered her she'd be an angel.

Nah, I'm not saying he's not a good horror mangaka, his art is creepy as fuck and made me often uncomfortable but his stories are kinda boring, not really mind-boggling like Shintaro's or Usamaru's stories.

I'm just saying nobody should claim that chicken meat is the best if he hasn't tasted any other kind of meat.

I've always thought that the girl had some kind of connection with the spiral that's why she refused to leave the town though she's probably unaware of that.

Are there any Junji Ito doujins?

They are not created equal, but I enjoy them.

The stories are too short for me to immerse myself.

Haven't had a Junji Ito story time in a while