Hey Sup Forums why are visual novels not as popular in the west than they are in Japan?

Hey Sup Forums why are visual novels not as popular in the west than they are in Japan?

Whats up with the recent noukome threads? I started rewatching it yesterday.

Might have something to do with the majority of them not being translated and the ones that do get an official translated are also usually censored in someway.

Visual novels need lots of efforts to translate

But Katawa Shoujo is popular in America while nobody cares about it in Japan

No GNU/Linux support

a.) Vast majority are not translated
b.) Translations either take fucking forever for fan work or get censored to shit in official; you might as well learn moon if you really want to play them and if you've done that then you may as well go talk with nips about them.
c.) Most Western anime/manga fans are far too casual to comprehend them i.e they're action-shonen kids etc; the overall culture is far not-developed
d.) Distribution is nil; only in recent years have any gotten some easy-to-find access on steam

There's nothing Americans hate more than reaidng

What do you think, you fucking retard?

Why are VNs still being made for 4:3 resolutions with no 16:9 option and text that doesn't scale properly and looks like a blurry mess?

I know Japan is behind the times with computers, but 16:9 became the standard more than a decade ago.

I think VNs are a little pathetic, and all the ones I've ever heard of seem to resemble a dating sim on some level. That's my honest opinion.

>English game made by English speakers is more popular in the west than in Japan
Who would have guessed?

Because you're a shitty EOP that doesn't know the reality of eroge and thus post untrue shit like this.

It's almost as if 99% are untranslated and thus unplayable for anyone who's not japanese, huh..

I actually think western-made VNs that aren't focused on romance could be pretty popular, but like said, 'merica hates reading, and those who do like reading usually don't want to sit at a computer to do it. A VN marketed as a "multimedia choose your own adventure experience" or some bullshit for ipads might actually sell.
Like I could see something like "you're the newfag at hogwarts" selling to the hipster crowd.

Not enough are translated, and a lot of the good ones aren't translated. And a lot of the stories don't appeal to a western audience. Also, reading. A lot of people don't like to read so much text.

What did I say that was untrue?

Language barrier aside a lot of VNs are eroge and we're too big of moralfags to allow such degenerate content to corrupt our youth. Many of these games feature explicit content involving characters stated or implied to be minors which is against the law and is bad for our kids because it promotes IRL child exploitation! Think of the children!

>Why are VNs still being made for 4:3 resolutions with no 16:9 option

Americans would rather watch something more than reading.

Who gives a shit about them?

I don't want to be a huge asshole but God damn it I hate the limited facial expressions they always have.
No problem with reading but God damn it with the other things. If it's going to be really limited on facial expressions, at least make it a game or something.

Also nobody gives a shit about big foot.