Koe no Katachi

This movie is the definition of all style no substance. It looks nice, but the story is an absolute condensed mess that lacks focus since the cast it too bloated and doesn't allow proper development for Shoya and Shoko. I tried to give this a fair chance, but it's clear that this should've been a TV show instead of a movie.

This is a textbook example of wasted potential, and the fact that there are people on this board that are unironically saying that this is better than Kimi no Na wa. is just laughable. I knew that KyoAnifags were delusional fanboys, but this is just pathetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SFtLvkqHIds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>another pasta for the list
Thanks.

Gordon Ramsay: HEY! KYOANI! C'MERE YOU!

KyoAni: Y-yes chef?

GR: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!

KA: I-it's our adaptation of Koe no Katachi chef...

GR: Koe no Katachi... A seven volume manga. Did you remember to cook it to 2 cours?

KA: W-we thought it'd be better if we shortened it down to a movie chef.

youtu.be/SFtLvkqHIds

GR: A movie?! A FUCKING 2 HOUR MOVIE FOR A 7 VOLUME MANGA?!

KA: W-we thought it'd be better to trim the fat off the story chef.

GR: Oh bloody fucking hell! It needed less fat trimmed off than Lindsay fucking Lohan! WHAT ABOUT SHOYA AND SHOKO'S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! HOW ARE YOU GONNA PROPERLY ADAPT THAT IN A FUCKING MOVIE?!

KA: W-we decided to show more scenes of the other secondary characters to make fans happy chef.

GR: OH MY GOD! 86 THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT! GET OUT!

Actually it's really good

>the fact that there are people on this board that are unironically saying that this is better than Kimi no Na wa.
I unironically say it's the greatest anime ever made.

I like it.
Ueno is hot.

I got this on .mkv. VLC doesn't play it but MPC does, then again it's too high res for my toaster.

File Format (program) takes way too long to convert to lower quality.

Any other options besides getting a new PC?

Look this up elsewhere. You aren't going to get the answer here, user.

Get a new PC.

How is the cast bloated what the fuck?

Kawai and Orange were irrelevant.
Shoko's sister was pretty much a messenger for the most part only until really late do we get any development from her.

This movie is one of the best things we've got in the past 5 years, I actually think KnK looked horrible compared to most of the Kyoani stuff I've seen.

Lelouch, don't respond to obvious bait. And I disagree with your last line. Koe no Katachi wasn't as good-looking as some of their previous works, but it's still pretty impressive compared to the average anime.

secondary

>but it's still pretty impressive compared to the average anime.
Oh no doubt about that but I'm talking about Kyoani standards.

Fair enough.

Good subs out yet?

>I actually think KnK looked horrible compared to most of the Kyoani stuff I've seen.
I don't really see how you could think this.

The original manga is forced drama shit, KyoAni managed to make it worse.
Leaving things unresolved doesn't make it more realistic, it's just bad writing plain and simple.

She is a bitch

>I actually think KnK looked horrible compared to most of the Kyoani stuff I've seen.
I don't think Yamada is a straight up "sakuga' kind of person. She tends to keep things as consistent as possible. However she puts much more thought into how characters move and act than the other Kyoani directors.
In that sense Koe no Katachi vastly outshines the rest with it's correct use of sign language. Though even straight up visually, it's still much better looking than anything Kyoani put out since Hyouka.

Also I have to mention how heavy of a role audio plays in the film. I don't think I've ever seen an anime that used audio as a narrative tool to this extent since Lain.

How so?

what's wrong with style over substance you glue huffing prole

Ishidate is more of a sakuga director.

Oh wow, somebody saved my pasta.

It's bloated for the movie shithead. They give a bunch of screentime to a ton of the minor characters without properly fleshing them out, cutting the amount of screentime Shoko receives and distracting from Shoya's story. I can write a whole fucking book on the amount of shit that KyoAni did wrong with this adaptation.

The manga wasn't well written in the first place.
But you're right, it would have benefitted more being a better-paced TV show that allowed more time for character development and to show the real ending.

>It's OK if the story is retarded so long as it looks pretty!
By that logic Guilty Crown is a good anime.

I never said the manga was good. The fact is that KyoAnus made it even worse.

i have just finished this and know i dont really know how i should feel about it.

The Endings was like in Anohana but whats with the Relationship between Shoko and Shouya?

I get a feeling that KyoAni dskipped a large Part of the source

In fantasy stories it's a good thing to reference things that aren't strictly plot relevant, because it builds up the world and makes it more real. Couldn't the same be the case for a realistic drama? When they introduce characters without giving attention to their stories couldn't that help building a greater scope for the setting? It really tells how the world is big and everyone has their own story. I think some of this could be lost if everything were streamlined to be plot relevant. Loose threads can be good.

I think there is a literature term for this. Essentially plot threads are left unsolved or there isn't some grand ending because real life doesn't really work that way and it makes it more realistic.
I like how Yamada gives side characters motivations and problems that aren't necessarily solved because it makes them feel more like actual people. That afro guy who liked that girl who was getting married from Tamako Market for example.

GodAni turned it into a masterpiece.

>I think there is a literature term for this
Yeah, it's called bad writing.

How is it bad writing?

Nah, Henrik Ibsen and Tennessee Williams used it a lot.

What was real about that red head guy that was introduced later on

Mashiba? He doesn't really have any plot threads in the film. He was just a plot device to create that conflict between Shouya and everyone else as an outsider.

And I unironically say that you're a faggot.

>using "muh world building" as an excuse for bad writing
Fuck you.
>I think there is a literature term for this.
Yeah, it's called a dropped subplot, which is exactly what said: bad writing. If you're gonna introduce a character with his/her own subplot and you don't follow through with it, that's bad writing. You either follow through, or cut it out of the story. This is proof of why Koe no Katachi had the worst fucking editing ever.

This is what KyoAnuslickers ACTUALLY believe...

What is he reaching for?

Nah, it's not bad writing, it's just writing you don't like. Not every character needs to have a finished story.

In a more plot centered work I can understand the criticism about hanging plot threads, but more realistic down to earth works like Koe no Katachi giving characters unsolved problems and small unimportant conflicts makes them feel much more human.

Going through Ueno's or Sahara's plot arcs would only detract from Shouya's story, which is THE story of Koe no Katachi, not to mention aspects of Ueno's and Sahara's personality play key roles in Shouya's story.

You did a good job user, hilarious and you hit the movie for one of it's many blatant flaws, good job your pasta will go down in history.

Of course not every character needs to be fleshed out, but when you introduce a subplot, you're expected to finish it rather than leave it unfinished. What don't you fucking understand about this?
No. It just makes the narrative more bloated with shit that shouldn't be the main focus. The other subplots should've just been cut and more focus should've been placed on Shoya and Shoko.

Straws to defend the shitty writing in this movie.

>The other subplots should've just been cut and more focus should've been placed on Shoya and Shoko.
They were there for Shouya's development. Hell, even Shouko's development was meant to complement Shouya's development. Cutting anything from the film would have required massive rewrites that would change the story entirely.

However that's just Koe no Katachi, the unsolved side conflicts in Tamako Market can be rearranged a bit but leaving them hanging plays a valuable part in giving the Market a very alive and human feeling, which was the main narrative for the show.

from now on i will say to a japanese girl in english that i love her and not in japanese because i dont want to get moonzoned

Just say "anata to seks shitai"
Works every time

Cute

The difference is that the subplots if the side characters were addressed and finished in the manga. Yamada is a hack and a shitty director.

Not him, and I didn't watch the movie so I don't know if it's good, but the side characters subplots being unaddressed was a major issue in the manga. There was no real development or progress on Ueno/Kawai/Mashiba's issues, and then it just jumped a few years and they're adults and we're supposed to assume it all got solved or something.

Way to out yourself as a dumb troll.

Is this made in 720p? cause it looks like it is.