Is keeping animals in captivity inhumane? Should zoos be banned?

Is keeping animals in captivity inhumane? Should zoos be banned?

Other urls found in this thread:

au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/24414152/crocodile-attacks-handler-at-australian-zoo-video-pictures/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_Altruism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I successfully gave it the meat in a pointlessly dangerous fashion, now let me shove my empty hand right into its mouth.

I think Zoos are fine from a utilitarian perspective. I think owning certain pets such as fish in a small aquarium or rodents in a cage is much more inhumane because they're not provided nearly the same level of living conditions as zoo animals.

living in the wild sucks ass. that's why humans stopped doing it a long time ago

That guy deserved to get bitten.

why the fuck did move his hand back towards its mouth what a fucking moron and then he let the gator fucking drag him into the water i hope that dipshit died

lol what happened to that guy? Any follow up?

No, prisons keep me away from niggers

Zoos do way more to educate and foster a love for animals than they do harm. They also raise a lot of money to protect many of their animals and for the most part they treat their animals well.

Thinking zoos are bad is just brainlet "thinking".

>His left hand is mangled with three or four tooth punctures, a 10 centimetre gash in his palm and a busted knuckle on his right.
au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/24414152/crocodile-attacks-handler-at-australian-zoo-video-pictures/

Depends on the zoo though.

Depends on the zoo desu. On one extreme you've got niggers keeping lions in ten foot cages. On the other extreme you've got huge ass safari parks. As long as the animals are given adequate space and care and stuff to do I don't have a problem with the zoo.

>mfw

maybe we r the ones in the zoo of the world and THEY are watching US from behind bars

Yeah that's true, most in the US are pretty good but i know some chink ones are awful

>>I successfully gave it the meat in a pointlessly dangerous fashion, now let me shove my empty hand right into its mouth.
This, what an idiot. He literally put his hands into the gator's mouth. The gator wasn't even trying to bite him, just thought he was handing him more meat.

Don't ban them
Make them State/Federal owned & regulated for better living conditions and use them for greater educational purposes

Alright guys, srsly though, you fuck up and find yourself in this situation, seconds are ticking: how do you escape?

Zoo's are great in Sweden as well except they kill the baby's if they aren't "needed". Kind of sick.

Hit it on the head with my other hand. Or literally launch myself at it to startle it to let me go. Just trying to drag the hand out can't be that effective right?

>Just trying to drag the hand out can't be that effective right?
no, it's not.

>Hit it on the head with my other hand
that wouldn't be effective either.

>Or literally launch myself at it to startle it to let me go
you actually think you are going to "startle it"?

No way you're getting that hand out unless he opens, and I think he'd take the shots well. I think I'd go for the eyes, thumb-strikes.

No because they are animals. May as well skin the fuckers and eat them, who cares, moralfag.

You asked me what I would do, I'd try to somehow startle it by attacking. Kicking it might also be an option (that guy might have been able to do that).
What would you do?

the shit that thing's species eat puts up a huge fight, and the parents don't teach it to hunt. there is obviously some heritable predisposition against timidity.

>What would you do?
I'm with this guy on sticking my thumb in its eyes

A lack of empathy for animals is correlated with a lack of empathy for fellow humans.

Eating zoo animals would be fine from a moral perspective, although stupid. But suggesting that it doesn't matter at all what is done to animals, that something like senseless torture would also be fine is not a good idea for the person making that suggestion if they want to keep being part of a civilized group of people. Civilized groups of people have, among other things, a higher empathy for fellow humans and exclude those who show signs of lacking that trait, one clear sign being a lack of empathy for animals.

To be clear, hurting animals for a reasonable purpose such as eating them is fine so chicken factories or whatever are not a problem at all.

If they have enough space I think they are OK, it's preferable for them to take in rescued animals though verses breeding.

how do you feel about tarantulas kept in tanks?

JF pls go

>A lack of empathy for animals is correlated with a lack of empathy for fellow humans.
Everything in its proper doses. Empathy isn't something where more of it is always better. Too much empathy can be pathological. You can't have empathy for a person who is initiating force against you and has no intention of reciprocating any empathy for you. Imagine if you're being robbed by a psychopath and you just passively let him rob you and then kill you to keep you quiet because you felt so sorry for the poor, downtrodden black man that you'd hate to ruin his life by getting him sent to jail. That would be suicidal for you, not a quality associated with long-term survival of individuals and by extension of civilization, so that level of empathy couldn't be called a virtue.

A book was even written about the subject.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_Altruism

As long as the animal has enough space to move around to be reasonably mentally healthy I don't care. Idk how much space tarantulas need. Only my opinion.

Yeah I certainly don't disagree with this. Only talking about the lowest acceptable level in a society.

Keeping animals in captivity is mandatory in a functional society.

Zoos are necessary for conservation efforts. They haven't been purely for the exhibition of animals in like 50 years. They're really more of a research centre that makes its money by letting the public in to see the exhibits.

At least here in Australia you literally cannot get a license to open a zoo without having some kind of conservation program and accreditation.

>gator
Fuck up seppo.

He probably did. As soon as the gator got him he was done.

Guy slipped up. Doesn't make him stupid.

He was fine. He tripped over when the croc dragged him over a fence and fell on its head. This startled the croc into letting go, and he pulled out. Then he walked over to try and calm down the crowd.

>visiting zoos
>keeping pets
>worrying about animals at all