Berserk

I know why we all like Berserk, we all self-insert into Guts, a man who is dealing with severe depression, pain, anger and hatred and he becomes our lightning rod.
There's no other simple explanation for why this anime is so popular, it's not like the story itself is very original or anything.

I just want Sup Forums to admit with me that we are going through shit in our lives and Guts also going through shit helps us make sense of this fucked up world. It would make me feel better to know I'm not the only one going through this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_realism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't understand how people can think Puck and Isidro are the reader-insert characters

That would be nice but a lot of idiots read it for the edgy shit. It's why some faggots dont like the current direction.

I personally read it for the setting and Guts.

>Projecting this hard

Not really, I used to like Berserk because of the interesting relationship between Guts and Griffith, it really got boring after the Eclipse.

Not everything has to be self-inserted into.
>implying depression isn't a meme
I really can't claim to relate to Guts, his experiences are not of the mortal kind.

Fucking pleb.

I try to emulate Guts when faced with hardships. It helps. I don't know if you can call that projection, but struggling is often the way I make sense of what I do and the imperfections of life. It soothes the mind, I guess.
I don't care about the depression though, the trials and hardships are the endearing parts for me.

While you are mostly right I'd say that depression is real but it shouldn't be a word because it's just thoughts. Even you have what we call depression.
Guts is his own person as he says so himself. Nobody could possibly relate to him.

No, fuck off with your pain and muh angsty shit.

>Self inserting as a guy whose life is as shit as Gut's
user please

>There's no other simple explanation for why this anime is so popular
>anime

That was in the old days
Now berserk is shit

I just want Guts to be happy.

This

>we all self-insert into Guts

Speak for yourself, loser. Ain't no way I can see myself in a big, beastly hunk like Guts.

I've always only read it for Griffith. As awesome as guts is, I've felt more connected to Griffith way more.

I'm also a tranny, so there's that...

You kind of phrased it in a half degrading way.

The story of Berserk is literally the hero archetype which has been retold and existed for as long as humans have had society. Of course it isn't original, because it's a damn meta-story. Casca is the maiden and Griffith is the dragon. Berserk just has a take where Griffith is the ultimate form of dragon because he raped Guts' maiden in front of his eyes, and betrayed his entire legion of people who had ultimate trust in him.

Guts embodies a ton of ideals that the reader would like to strive for, he's just especially focused on absolute vengeance, anger, and determination to not back down no matter what the cost. If your life has been fucked up enough, and you haven't turned into an edgy nihilistic faggot or killed yourself, this is one of the outcomes. Anger is a more powerful, energy giving emotion than fear. It's destructive in the end but at least you're fucking alive.

Getting Casca restored and whatever happens with Griffith is the final therapy to this multi-decade long psychological struggle.

Nah I like Berserk for its characterisation and fucked up sense of humour. And its massive thematic scope and focus

The bit where Griffith blows on the leaf with Princess Charlotte is the essence of what makes Berserk so good, for me.

> >´^(

>self insert

lmao

hello, bucko

>I'm also a tranny
pics

Berserk went to shit during the Mozgus arc.
I blame Ishidoro and the other characters that are introduced after him.

There are a lot of good things about that arc but it's a little bit muddled overall, I think, and it starts to feel like its repeating itself (which I guess is the point, in a way). Its the first part of the story that really nails and epitomizes Berserk's humour, though.

The arc afterwards gets things back on track imo

Guts is almost never depressed. The only scenes I can think of where he is depressed would be right after he kills Gambino and when Griffith says no one is his equal and thus his friend, but he deals with these things with anger, which I don't think is relatable to many.

Gambino stumbling into the tent drunk was interesting though. I've had physical fights with my drunk father before, which I regret my stupidity over.

wtf Geese have teeth on their tongues?

>tfw want to introduce Berserk to my 65 yo dad but can't because I don't know if the old man would live enough to see it end
It hurts that he probably would love it.

Miura doesn't

Geese are fucks. Nice digits too

Berserk will end in 12 years at most. Trust me.

Miura will go to 1 chapter per 2 weeks

Does your dad work at berserk or something?

Isidro and Puck saved Casca from burning alive when Guts couldn't be in time. I believe that's good enough to at least give him some credit, he is just a kid after all, and can do a lot more than other grown up men.

But even if you don't like Isidro, the Conviction arc is one hell of an arc and has some of the most memorable quotes in the entire manga too, can't see why anyone would dislike it.

>
Guts embodies a ton of ideals that the reader would like to strive for, he's just especially focused on absolute vengeance, anger, and determination to not back down no matter what the cost. If your life has been fucked up enough, and you haven't turned into an edgy nihilistic faggot or killed yourself, this is one of the outcomes. Anger is a more powerful, energy giving emotion than fear. It's destructive in the end but at least you're fucking alive.

Getting Casca restored and whatever happens with Griffith is the final therapy to this multi-decade long psychological struggle.

Guts is no hero nor he has any great ideals, he is a fucking normal, average human being who just so happens to be a damn good swordsman. Nothing else. Actually, he isn't that good of a guy himself.

too long didn't read lol

I don't even know how to self-insert.

Guts isn't exactly a hero but he's still a good person considering what he lived. Like, who'd have done as well as him if they were in his shoes? Maybe Rickert, Judeau, Luka.. Flora? That's all the persons I can think of.

Keep in mind that the only other Eclipse survivor had to turn potato mode on to cope with the trauma.

Gaiseric did pretty well.

Nah, I'm nowhere near the kind of man Guts is. I wish I could be like him, but I'm not worth the energy used to be eaten and shit out by a demon.

Skull Knight is a bro.

The story might not be original but the development is, and the art is god-tier. Nothing feels out of place, like it's just there to fill space. It's a great story about universal topics, like redemption, survival, greed, pride, fate, luck and love.

I don't self-insert as anyone, but Griffith made me see how being too ambitious can be dangerous.

> father sells him
> raped
> killed his father by accident
> best friend is a dick and killed rest of his comrades
> gf is raped in front of him by his friend
> loses arm and eye in a fit of rage
And that's just the top of the list. Who the fuck self-inserts into this sort of things?

>Griffith made me see how being too ambitious can be dangerous.
Fucking faggot.

>summer a few years ago
>behind on bills
>about to get evicted
>entire body is covered in an ungodly itchy rash caused by washing clothes and blankets in cheap laundry detergent
>face is swelling, I look like a freak
>air conditioning has been broken for the past month
>it's 103 degrees in my bedroom
>got turned down for yet another promotion at work
>turn the boxfan on high and reread Berserk
>feel re-energized and ready to move forward
It has this amazing effect. I love it.

That's the way user.

Isn't the Eclipse a little too hardcore for a child like Rosine?

>Griffith made me see how being too ambitious can be dangerous.
Griffith's downfall wasn't entirely because of his ambition. Guts going away showed him he didn't own him, didn't had any control over him, and for the first time someone just wasn't an expendable tool for him to discard whenever he felt was necessary. He couldn't control a single person's actions, losing someone important to him and being unable to do anything for the first time in his life drove him insane. He's used to people worshiping him and being able to do whatever he wants with them, Guts slapped him hard without even knowing it.

But that's why their relationship was special, Griffith would never sacrifice Guts (and that's the only sacrifice that mattered) if he wasn't fucked up

Thanks!

Actually no. If I experienced even a fraction of Gut's life I would have killed myself ages ago. One of the series main appeals is how Gut's perseveres through such sadness.

>I know why we all like Berserk
>we
> we all self-insert into Guts
Its painful to read further

What did Guts do to deserve the suffering he gets?

Exist. Literally.

>Tranny
>somehow relates with Griffith

How so? You couldn't be more diagonally opposed.

Berserk has a lot going for it. Relating it to our everyday life struggles is just one of them.

It has darkness, but also a lot of light. It has a lot of research and care put into it as well. It deserves its recognition.

I'm currently reading through this shit and it was fucking great until the Mozguz arc ended. Right afterwards Griffith comes back, 4 boss apostles show up from fucking NOWHERE ONE AFTER THE OTHER IN THE MOST GOOFY MANNER IMAGINABLE asking to join his army. And now this fucking LOLI WITCH shows up and they help her rid some random fucking village from trolls and a water magic wielding horse frog and there's fucking magic everywhere and WOW SERPICO YOU'RE SO GOOD AT USING WIND ELEMENTAL MAGIC WOAH and Farnese, who was the most interesting and well developed side character by far has been reduced to a non-character at this point. Guts is acting more nice and human than ever despite knowing that his lifelong bloodsworn nemesis is flying around in his other nemesis' back after promising to conquer his own kingdom. And then after they get rid of the trolls with [magic] and Guts is rescued by Skull Knight blowjobbing his sword into a portal gun, they return only to face the Apostle army and Guts is like NO WAY ZODD ARE YOU SIDING WITH GRIFFITH I COMPLETELY FORGOT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED 20 CHAPTERS AGO AND NOW WOW DRAGONSLAYER HAS BEEN FORGED INTO A MAGIC SWORD FROM ALL THE DEMON BLOOD AND WOAH TAKE THIS MAGIC ARMOR VERY WELL GUTS NOW LET THIS MAGIC WITCH MAGIC YOU OUT OF YOUR MAGIC TRANCE THAT YOU GET FROM WEARING THE MAGIC ARMOR THAT GIVER YOU ASFÇASFAS AMGIC ASRNMAISASNIDODAND SADASDMOASDASIPPAIFNNKAGSÇKFAS

Does it get better?

Sadly, no. From this point it's Griffith cockgobbling and Guts+friends being on a journey.

>blowjobbing it into a portal gun.
Couldnt say it any better way. It does remind me of those guys who deepthroat swords for a hobby.

Not really. The story got too congested with all the supernatural elements it introduced. How is a man supposed to beat a literal god? Well, you gotta give his sword magic, then give him magic armor, and then ground the supernatural realm into reality as the "astral plane". It's all an excuse to get Guts on an equal playing field with Griffith.

There are cool elements to the story (how Berserker armor works, Skull Knight, Casca's memories, etc), but it's all pretty much downhill from the Golden Age arc.

Honestly I think the story told by the 90s anime sans the 1st episode was perfect. It sets Berserk more as a Lovecraftian horror tragedy. Past that, it turns more and more into an adventure shounen.

>I know why we all like Berserk

We don't all like Berserk, user

People often seem to confuse having empathy for a character for self-insertion. If you aren't a sociopath you should be able to sympathize with someone's struggles even if you don't see them as a reflection of yourself

SO PUT YOUR GRASSES ON

Fucking hell, this panel always kills me. Poor Jill

>self-inserting to anything or anyone
lmao no but seriously, how do people do that? I still don't get it

>we all want to self insert as a cucked, BLACKed man with low self esteem and anger management issues

Not all of us have daddy issues, OP

>CAPS
>Berserk is thrash after Mozguz
Couldn't you make anymore easier to spot your filthy edgefag ass? Drop it this instant, it's not intended for subhumans like you.

Elder God Tier:
Conviction Arc

High Tier:
Golden Age Arc

Mid Tier:
Black Swordsman Arc

Low Tier:
Millennium Empire Arc

Shit Tier:
Fantasia Arc

Ganishka is pretty cool. Everything else is pure trash with vegan neo-apostoles, shonen kids, boring sea good boss battles and other garbage.

autism
they try to find more meaning than necessary
anime/manga is pure entertainment, nothing more

I easily relate to GUTS
i'm a similar height and weight
similar build
i've lost a lot of friends over the years
i almost had my Right arm and Leg amputated

Just reread some of that chapter and holy shit, how did I miss pic related. They're climbing underground to save Griffith, and the princess brought up the story of King Gaiseric. Then Casca accidentally drops a torch down the center of the stairwell and it illuminates various things along the way down, including this.

I'm not saying that Gaiseric (Skull Knight)/Void are related to the sacrifices in this picture, but they sure look like they're from some eclipse. I guess this doesn't really bring up anything new but I just wonder how those skulls got there.

This. Honestly I got bored after the 500th troll rape so I dropped it.

>I'm also a tranny, so there's that...
nobody asked, freako

No, I think it's related. He obviously states that only people with severe psychological issues would side with Griffith

How many Apostles did Guts kill we haven't seen? I mean in terms of scope. Obviously he's been fighting evil spirits every night, but I'm talking Apostles.

Reminder that the movies and the 2016/2017 anime is better than 1997 shitty old version.

>I've felt more connected to Griffith
But Griffith used to have sex with old men for money, how did you connect with him?

>I'm also a tranny
Oh, i see.

>we all self-insert into Guts
speak for yourself nigga, I read it because it's a good story.

I read it for the struggle. I like how he survives his battles and wins the hard ones all the while guts has a handicap working against him.

Guts is the archtype of the struggler and one of the best fascistic heroes in fiction.

There's a reason why Sup Forums loves Berserk.

Mentally ill degenerates confirmed for preferring Griffith.

>fascistic hero
huh?

fancitic I think he means

Guts was never supposed to exist. He was supposed to die bellow his mothers corpse.

He's a struggler against fate, he embodies human will and inner strength.

He wants to survive and have self determination above pretty much all else.

He's the embodiment of human will power to conquer overwhelming odds. of course Sup Forums loves him.

>fancitic
What the fuck does that even mean?
What does this have to do with fascism?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_realism

hes just using buzzwords without understanding the meaning

>tfw your entire group of friends was sacrificed to demons and you now spend your days typing with your only hand on a Peruvian basketweaving imageboard when not fighting demons

I relate to the character of Guts very much, it's what makes it so great to me

I still don't see the connection. Striving to stay true to yourself while the world is overrun with degeneracy with liberals gaining more fans is one interpretation a Sup Forumsack may make, but it's not intrinsic to the story. And it still doesn't explain what you mean by "fascistic hero"

I dunno,

When the art used to be good.

You're 6'9" and weighs 350 pounds?

No shit. Edgy faggot retards thinks the 1997 anime was good.

:^)

If you don't care about epics then don't bother continue reading.

1997 has best art style and movie Griffith looks like a freak with that awful nose. The 16/17 anime don't have the same atmosphere or charm that the '97 series has, and you're a just a simpleton for not understanding that. It's OK though; you like what you like! Just making sure you understand that you're just not quite as smart as the rest of us, and you have the taste of a normie!

agreed. The movies we're my introduction to the series and it kept bothering me how this man is supposed to be a seraphic beauty with a schnoz like that. The old school super sharp, borderline ayy lmao anime face suits him so much better