Is Japanese curry really all that good? This shit is referenced or eaten at least once in 99% or series...

Is Japanese curry really all that good? This shit is referenced or eaten at least once in 99% or series. I imagine it must be different from the yellow Indian stuff which can be disgusting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B4CMe7Y-nKQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knödel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzelune
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
youtube.com/watch?v=vpG1vbh2gHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not as spicy and greasy as Indian curry. Might be disappointing if you like your curry to pack a punch but the flavour is nice.

It's very different from the yellow Indian stuff. It's more closer to cinnamon in aroma.

Jap cuisine is a meme to be honest

It's pretty good, but vastly inferior to Thai curry

Japanese curry is the Maple & Brown Sugar of Oatmeal flavors. Nice and mellow, at least compared to normal curry.

Its only popular since its easy to make, I think? Its less spicy compared to your indian/thai curry since it doesn't use a lot of spices or vegetables.

It's no vindaloo.

Its popular because its super simple and cheap to make. Its sweeter and less spicy than most other curry so its more popular with kids too.

Thai curry is the best

But is it as good as this?

Rogans diet is pretty disgusting and unappealing.
How about you eat carbs so it looks like food but with smaller portions?

Its less spicy because it uses a roux as the base, and fats mask spicy.
Its only easy to make because there are hundreds of companies that sell prepared roux blocks, so all you need to do is cut up veg and meat, cook it, add water, boil, add roux blocks, and stir.

Japanese curry is pretty good.
It's more of a gravy than indian or thai curry.
If you buy some roux blocks, buy some spices to add to it. It's like bouillon, it's a base for making a dish, but not special on its own.

So I had this stuff quite a few years back. It's fairly nice. It's not spicy at all. But it's nothing like actual Indian food. It's probably more akin to Strogonoff.

Is this some sort of meme?

I use japanese curry roux blocks in my gravy I make for biscuits and sausage gravy. Shit is god-tier.

Battleship curry is the shit with its additional cheddar and gouda.

Very mild, kinda sweet, tastes extremely comfy when watching anime and sipping a beer.

I'd prefer a ass-burningly spicy indian curry most of the time though.

jap curry is literal packed curry bar, meanwhile other asians and indian curry are mostly blended spices.
youtube.com/watch?v=B4CMe7Y-nKQ

Indian curry is better, but it has more side effects.

I dont get it? Why are they just putting food straight onto the table? I don't understand fancy dining.

its not made to be eaten. it's just for show

It's garbage. Real curry is with Masala. If you want something different from Indian curry then there's Goulasch with Knodeln or Polenta wich is also vastly superior to Japanese "curry".

Mostly so you can talk about it with other people and take pictures.
You dont go to fancy restaurants just to gain the necessary nutrients you need to live.

Don't even bother comparing Japanese curry to Japanese cuisine.

Japanese cuisine is highly regarded for a reason. Every country has their staples and comfort foods.

It's something along the lines of mac and cheese.

Cheap, easy to make, kids love it, tasty. A perfect recipe to create a nostalgic food.

I just can't.

Theres certainly huge amount of sushi restaurants in Finland so it cant be bad. I'd take sushi over burgers every time.

Japanese curry could fuck your gulash's ass any day of the week

You're disgusting

Its pretty much the truth though. Dont worry though im sure that only cost something like $100 a seat. Minimum.

Inoffensive, bland, not spicy at all. Tastes the same no matter which store you go to. Been living here for 4 years and I'm reeeally sick of it.

Out of the Asian cuisines :^)
Chinese>Japanese>Thai=Viet>>>Korean

But I recommend anyone actually wanting to learn the techniques and culture behind Japanese cuisine to read this. best cookbook I've read.

There's sushi and then there's proper served at 37C sushi.

Iirc he's a meme on /ck/ known for having literal shit taste and ruining food.

i like their hotpot rice thing, kimchi taste weird though

No, it couldn't, you fucking weeaboo. It doesn't even use Masala.

Goulasch and Spezzatino are both real recipes.

It's ready made food. You think your waifu is a good cook because she makes good curry? Well guess what, she just buys ready-made curry blocks (enjoy your artificial flavoring), throws it together with some leftover and lets it boil.

>Goulasch
Welp, now I want some

I get that it's the truth. I just cant understand it.

Japanese curry is more a roux than actual curry

What is the ball?

Maintaining temperature of rice isnt that difficult.

Don't you have a local supermarket selling those chocolate-shaped curry blocks?? I forgot the brand name but it doesn't hurt to try them as they're pretty cheap.

Japanese curry is more savory and is not spicy at all, which is good because it means you can actually taste it rather than having your tongue and sinuses overwhelmed by a fuckton of spices. The meat also is tasty and isn't dry as your grandma's pussy like how it is at most Indian restaurants. Honestly Japanese curry is much better than Indian curry imo. Thai curry is good too.

>what is a knodel?
Are you fucking for real?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knödel

They're delicious, especially the Kaseknodeln with butter and Parmigiano.

for real now. fancy dining is considered to be an art so it's not made for the pourpose for feeding you. It's like going to a culinary art galery only that you get a few bites of the displays.

So it's a dumpling.

Awful taste. Chilli and spices aren't a bad thing.

>the fucking flamethrower at the end

Sometimes chefs just use candle/cigarette lighters to do the effect when theyre not trying to impress anyone.
Its pretty neat on meringue.

No.
It's like when pizza is referenced as the best possible thing to eat in sitcoms.

No, it's a Knödel, retard. Schlutzkrapfen would be more similar to dumpling but even then they're not as shitty as simple dumplings.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzelune

You don't go to a place like that to actually eat. You go so you can take pictures and videos to post on twitter about how you ate at some cuh-ray-zee place where they used a blowtorch to sear glorified hamburger patties the size of bottlecaps or used condiments to draw your portrait on an edible plate.

You go to smaller, family run places if you want to eat actual good food in good amounts.

>chefs
Nope.
At least not the ones who care enough about their reputation to avoid people saying "that creme brûlée tasted like gas", which is precisely what happens when you use a lighter of some form.
Use this instead.

And what is a knodel? A type of boiled dumpling.

As boring and bland as pretty much every other japanese food

A Knödel is a Knödel, didn't you see the English wikipedia entry?
They use the dumpling to make ignorants understand what it is.

Dumb Americans would call Canederli, Schlutzkrapfen, Gnocchi di patate and Tortellini all "dumplings".

Top fucking kek.

>98F Sushi
Wait, what? I've never heard of this, the sushi place always gets sold out with premaid bentos I go has the fresh meals at 20C.
Sounds like you're confusing it with people who don't want temperature shock from warm sake or something.

>calling gnocchi "dumplings"
now that would be another level of retardation

Masala is just a general term for any sort of spice mix. Anything from pumpkin pie spice to garlic salt is considered "masala." It's not some special, god-teir ingredient like you're implying.

we /ck/ now

>didn't you see the English wikipedia entry?
I did, did you? Also I dont think you know what I would call a dumpling is.

/ack/ is one of my favorite things. I never grow tired of cooking manga.

>A Knödel is a Knödel, didn't you see the English wikipedia entry?
>Knödel ( sing. der Knödel), or Klöße ( sing. der Kloß) are boiled dumplings commonly found in Central European and East European cuisine.
Ahhhh....

What I'm implying is that Japanese curry doesn't use none of all those spices that would fall under the Masala umbrella term.
>They use the dumpling to make ignorants understand what it is
You are retarded, after all.

So masala can be an umbrella term but dumpling can't? Pretty fucking autistic there lad.

maybe it actually tastes good?
has anyone tried it?

You make the roux with masala you fucking poo-in-the-loo-and-slavs-too-aboo.

Even then the texture would be closer to vomit.

I didn't give the word masala its meaning, genius.
Knodel is already an umbrella term, you would know it if you took a look at the wiki page.
No.

>Inferior European swords, behold the beautiful katana
>but user, what is a katana
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
>I see, it is a sword
>No, retard, it is a wonderful katana, you wouldn't call a rapier, an estoc, or a scimitar a sword, would you?

Where did the katana obsession even originate from? Hollywood?

It's an umbrella term under the umbrella term of dumpling but I get it the only acceptable umbrella terms are the ones you say.

Sushi is so overrated.

CoCo's is one of my favorite chain curry restaurants to go to.

no real curry

>eggs from my yard

Did he just find them on the ground in his back yard?

>blended spices aren't masala because I'll be wrong if it's an umbrella term.

that is real curry

I always figured the art was in the taste, and I had just been supremely unlucky in having all the fancy food I've eaten be shit.

Probably just a byproduct of exoticism, specifically Japonism. Weird, far off places can seem pretty exciting, and Japan started drawing a fair amount international attention by building a colonial empire and winning a war against the Russians.

It's the Japanese equivalent to what America does to most other cultures' foods

Japan has loved to hype up katana for centuries. Its a class symbol.

>what is the lack of words in certain languages?
The English language is garbage for food and cooking, that's why you use French and Italian terms,

If you open the dumpling page you see chinese dumplings, which are made the same way as Tortellini or Ravioli but if you open the Italian page of those you will never find a similar term used for them. Why? Two reasons. First because they're a kind of pasta, not dumpling, second because you will simply refer to them with their names. Something English speaking people don't do because of their cronic ignorance about cooking. They prefer to call everything "dumpling" even when the ingredients, the way the dish is prepared and the cooking itself are different.
Just think about this for a second, you call Knödel and Tortellini the same.
There's no spices in the nip curry.

I love Taberu Tsukuru song so much so i live curry

A potato dumpling, served with goulash (And pretty much all other braised meals) in southern Germany and Austria. By itself, it doesn't have much taste, but together with a thick sauce, it's awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=vpG1vbh2gHA
Nyori nyori nyori nyori enjoy your curry.

The real damage hollywood did was to western swords.
>Pole weapons are for plebs, men use swords.
>Although broadswords are pleb tier too.
>They're made of common iron made into steel with primitive inferior methods.
>Then mass produced by pouring the molten metal into a big mold.
>Then you hit it with a hammer a couple of times and sharpen it on a big stone grinding whell to give it the blunt edge of a butter knife.
>And they're super heavy.

have not eaten it yet but made my own yakuniko the other day

Chinese cuisine is insanely varied and most people never get to experience anything other than their most famous dishes. You really need to hit up local Chinese centers and shit to get at least close recreation.

Thai = Indian > Japanese

Japanese curry is not bad but it's bland as fuck.

I'd take green curry or indian masala any day of the week over it.

Dude, that one is not a potato dumpling, it's made from egg, bread, and either cheese, speck or spinach.

The salad/cheese portion looks quite a bit worse than the meat part.
Who wants to eat salad that looks like that?

I eat it pretty often. I don't like putting brown sugar in it though, it makes it too sweet.

>CURRY POWDER isn't a spice mix
Fucking hell user.

Who is this fluffy cutie?

>There's no spices in the nip curry.
But there is. what do you think curry powder is made of?