Alt-Deco General

We are fighting a culture war on all fronts. In this thread, we will focus specifically on returning to grace the institution of European Architecture from the hands of the degenerates.

What core tenets should the Alt-Deco movement encompass? Prospective Architects, Civil Engineers, anons of artistic inclinations, your generation needs you. Posting here a late Alt-Deco building in Syracuse, NY for inspiration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qVBT3Cfsc-c
youtube.com/watch?v=7v5hmQt57lc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here is an example of what we need to alter dramatically - a modernist take on a home.

Angular and boastful, notice it's feigned attempt at transparency. It takes its beauty from hard, unnatural angles meant to act in defiance of nature - but not to glorify the achievements of man. No, it specifically calls to smugness. Modularized, plain and sectioned grounds that serve only to act as areas to observe the construction, and the implied wealth and superiority of those who dwell within it. The privacy above all, planked above the naked, glass sitting areas for those deemed worthy to witness it.

Gaudy, self-serving. Degenerate.

Here is a work proudly calling itself the Postmodern House. Where to even begin with this?

Again we see the clear attempt at fake transparency, only this time with corrugated metal fences lining the entrance ways. The material choice is all over the place, such as reflective of the postmodern assumption that no one thing is a better choice than anything else. This is taken to the extreme with it's flat, broad, crayon-pallet paint job that only serves to confuse the senses and eliminate any goodwill the glass sides provide by hiding the true nature of what section of the house you are looking at.

Lack of any decorations, or even areas to include decor, only serve to demonstrate the cookie-cutter nature of the house that desperately wants to seem as if it is not cookie-cutter. The home of those who cannot, and defiantly will not, think for themselves. Because that would be too offensive. Degenerate.

Bump

Let's examine Brutalism briefly.

An odd advancement of modernist design, this building appears at first to be fully utilitarian until you realize the vast wastes of space present. By design, the building it meant to cast your gaze downward, to avoid wanting anything to do with the structure as it looms with it's concrete watchtowers and tiered balconies designed at just the right angle to hide what, and who, they hold. A favorite of governments by the people against the people, and of those with some power who want to glorify and remind others of that power, most notably those who must work within it.

This style has a voice, it has a soul - by they are devoid of timbre and morality. It seeks only to dominate as it was the victor of the past and a bulwark of the present - there is no forward thinking. It's built with concrete for that very reason - vast and unchanging. A step towards a better style for the European Man, but inspirational? The complete opposite. Stagnant.

The distinctly Southern Plantation home. The last style I will detail out personally in this thread.

Decadence is favored here, and a hearkening to traditions of ones who came before (whether perceived or rooted in direct lineage) as evidenced in the not-quite-greek column usage, slight-angled roofing with tight, broad and flat-stepped curved walkways. The brutalist desire to gaze out upon those lesser is still present here, but adored with carefully wrought railings - not simple wooden affairs but those of iron. The foundations raised dramatically above the ground to state that even those who dwell on the bottom floor of such an estate tower over those who dwell in the land - power, and assured place - the foundation does not change and nor does this hierarchy.

Yet not all is in the dominance or channeling of brighter pasts, we see here something that can be inherited by design and is meant to be generational. Clearly demonstrated side housing, all appearing residential in function and comfortable in taste, ring around the central building. Turrets likely hold studies and are angled east so as to catch most of the sun in the late hours. This is a home with clear intentions - with familial intentions - and is built to last.

A fine example of a distinctly American value system put into architecture. The only problem is those values no longer exist, and as such these homes become cumbersome, lonely and decrepit. This is on the right track, but it like so many other styles are obsolete.

Brutalism has its uses. It's perfect for Flak towers and prisons.

To cap off and hopefully spurn discussion, while I am not an architect I come from a family of them, dating back to designing the iconic look of Oakland's churches and San Francisco's 'Full House' style homes. My great grandfather wept when he saw a church he designed in the 20s be demolished for a generic glass box in the 90s, and I never again want a generation of Europeans, regardless of their country, to experience the loss of something so deeply.

There are values we share, and we as creatures live to create. Our world will be what we imagine it to be and are willing to sacrifice for - let's make it one that is inspirational and assertive.

Are you on discord? I'm in for an Architectural Criticism server.

Never used discord but maybe I'll give it a go and set one up. If I do I'll post it here, though looks like not too many people seem to be very interested beyond us.

I'm actually interested in starting a right-wing youth culture magazine called Perseo. Do you have a blog or something?

I think trains showed Art Deco style pretty well.
Never thought about the complete waste of space there

Brutalist sculpture

Postmodern "art"

I like Brutalism but it had no place in cities or anywhere that people live. It is imposing and it needs a lot of nature around it to contrast it. Perhaps I only like it because of how sci-fi it looks but they are depressing buildings to be around.

Look up Prince Charles's projects.
/ourguy/?

I think it's more the case that brutalism was ultimately inspired by utilitarian design where separation of the outside and inside is key. So in my opinion, brutalism looks like flak towers, and a flak tower doesn't look like what it looks like to conform to architectural genres.

Always reminds me of that one magnet pokemon.

bump

Art deco trains are top tier
Brutalism is autism tier

Charles is lost in some idealized past. It's no use going full Neoclassical when you're designing space stations and exoskeletons.

I'm rather partial to art nouveau myself - gives that classic, pre-WWI vibe.

Mussolini's Rationalism is a mix of brutalist/classical that is a hit and miss to me

I think they show the art deco style better than buildings. It's all about excitement, only way I can think to describe it. Art Deco trains were around when steam trains were getting their shells to decrease air resistance. Trains were still the fastest way to travel.

I'd love an old plantation house

>Beaux-Arts
It's a great style

Also, I think they figured a flat shape would be boring. Steam engines were very cool looking and a thing to be proud of, so the Art Deco shell had to have bells and whistles on it.

There was some badass locomotives at that time

What style is this?

Some sort of stripped neoclassical revival.

I can't quite express it myself, but I know there is a link between ideology and aesthetics. Anyone have a good way to describe that process. In which man's thoughts are made manifest into architecture, visual arts, music, and culture in general.

Good luck

t. Architectural engineer

Art Deco is simple, yet comfy.
I've always wondered what commieblocks would look like if they were based on Art Decon, instead of Bauhaus/early modernism

art deco is cool as fuck

Architecture like any art form and can be used to express ideas.

Speer did this when he designed pic related
>From Wilhelmsplatz an arriving diplomat drove through great gates into a court of honour. By way of an outside staircase he first entered a medium-sized reception room from which double doors almost seventeen feet high opened into a large hall clad in mosaic. He then ascended several steps, passed through a round room with domed ceiling, and saw before him a gallery 480 feet (150 m) long. Hitler was particularly impressed by my gallery because it was twice as long as the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.
Hitler was delighted: "On the long walk from the entrance to the reception hall they'll get a taste of the power and grandeur of the German Reich!"

Brutalism is weird
pic related tallest building in Serbia

damn, it really used to look good...

Really neat, seems almost mathematic.

> It is formed by two towers connected with a two-storey bridge and revolving restaurant at the top. It is 115 metres tall (with restaurant 135–140 metres)
pretty based desu

>Art deco trains are top tier

HNGH!!

And Artdeco fits an engine so nicely - it just looks so powerful and masculine , unlike todays ugly as sin Toyotas

youtube.com/watch?v=qVBT3Cfsc-c

>Brutalism

dogshit, commie totalitarianism built to look like shit after 10 years

LOoks like a tacky , cheap knock off of something

stunning!

Good thread OP your construction today is pretty shitty, even by our standards, look how comfy cheap houses used to look in the old days

cant have architecture thread without falling water.

*blocks your path*
Georgian architecture is best architecture.

columns are gay, and tacky
also:
>angled east so as to catch most of the sun in the late hours
>east
*west

My city used to be based, that's when we still forbid white women from working in a Chinatown because women are sluts

Childish colors, childish forms and looks like cheap plastic.

The only thing beautiful in this image is the landscape this abomination is disfiguring.

we should bring aesthetics back
but unlike liberals we shouldnt be snobs about it

Hate me if you want but I kinda like these gypsy mansions. It's like they mixed every style they ever saw into one building.

not so much art nouveau as beaux arts, as said by
beaux arts mostly is a more modern take to neo-classicism
as to actual art nouveau, I'm not a Tolkien elve, so it's faggy to me

I visited Fallingwater years ago. awesome.

I love art deco. The brutalism of the post-war period is the biggest travesty that civilisation engaged in after communism itself. Fucking utopianists.

Art-Deco is my favourite style as well, I honestly can't fathom how it got completely abandoned... Same goes for (neo)gothicism.

art déco is great
but it's expensive: high ceilings, large rooms, luxurious materials, adornments, etc
it started to vanish in the 1930's, ie after the 1929 crash, if that tells you something

And whenever something amazing gets designed, it never sees the light of day nowadays...

I'm all for this. My ex-wife used to drag me to antique stores all the time.

Art Deco is God-tier white man's art, fuck (((post-modernist))) trash

This one was recently designed by Mark Foster Gage

I've always thought that brutalism and modern architecture was best suited in natural environments, rocks ,waterfalls and forests. Then art deco and classical in urban environments.

Where the fuck is that? Judge Dredd?

I envision a style of threes, with wide tapered edges that billow downwards to a hexagonal strut. Dark wood and gold pouring elegantly and naturally downward.

Within the details lie jade, and hewn stones of all kinds. Polished smooth as marble and layered, again in threes, in shapes of orbs. Great, hard lines dizzying outwards towards an endless horizon, Broken only by a floral pattern of leaves and diamonds escalating on each edge towards the lip.

This is the only inspiration that comes to me. I hope we can make it into being.

The guy's TED talk:
youtube.com/watch?v=7v5hmQt57lc

actually, I for one would like to see an art déco take on a modern wooden lodge

Commie blocks don't follow any architectural style. Communism isn't human.

dunno why but it reminds me a little of buildings from judge dredd 2012

Are we anti-Modernism? We should be anti-post-modernism

Living in San Francisco might seem degenerate, but it’s such a beautiful place from an architectural and nature perspective

Yeah, it sucks how short lived the streamliner train era was, just the brief time after they discovered aerodynamics, but before they started using diesel. I don't think there's a more classic train era at least in the US. Now it's just long ass dirty freight trains, which are cool but nobody really cares about them anymore, they're more of a nuisance to most people.

It's not thar we're anti-modern. It's just that modern isn't modern anymore and postmodern is a joke.

Hence, alt-deco.

Too much glass and large protrusions. I like the log cabin look the best in a wooded setting.

Syracuse native here, that building like so much else in this city has fallen into disrepair, but I still like going to visit it

>alt-deco
nice

This thread is genius. Good job OP. Today you not a faggot.

Makes perfect sense
The comic actually has quite a lot of art deco in it

Art Deco is truly one my top five favorite styles.
If I had the money I'd get a craftsman house and have an Art Deco study.

This is exactly the style of house I'd want to live in.

would be strange as fuck
arts and crafts is at total odds with art déco...

I wish there was more plantation style.

Those are McMansion versions of good architecture.

Batman has been a rich source of art deco design over the years.

i thought those houses are for middle class people in USA

Blocky, sharp lines with clean curves, monotone...so fucking beautiful.

I love the look of Neoclassical Architecture