Worldbuilding

Why does anime have such shitty worldbuilding compared to pretty much any other medium?

Really? I think anime tends to have pretty good world build, but shit narratives and character writing.

People enjoy things actually happening in anime instead of half hour expositions on economy and politics.

because japanese know nothing of the outside world

Anime doesn't have the time to go into detail about the rest of the world when they need to cram it all in a 30 min episode during 1 cour. The focus is usually on individual character development instead and maybe some slight world building details in the background.

12 episodes.

Because in anime world building, like character introductions, is just to eat up time.

>west eu in the east
>east eu in the west
probably quite accurate considering europeans

Like western fantasy is any better.

>MUH TOLKIEN COPY AND PASTE MEDIEVAL WORLD WITH ELVES, ORCS AND DWARFS AND SHIT

There. That's 90& of the shit that comes from American, British and European writers. Bad enough that there's so much Tolkien wannabe crap that pollutes the market they feel the need to copy George RR Martin too.

>compared to pretty much any other medium

Like what exactly? Modern movies and TV series refuse to even have settings like that so they won't insult anyone.

Warhammer.

This really.

So did Mahouka even ever bother to explain why would EU split like this?

Because it makes no sense.

>east EU is in south western Europe
>West EU includes finland, Ukraine, and Belarus
What the fug?

Actually it's better BECAUSE of Tolkien, since he established a tradition of detailed world building in fantasy literature.

How many western books have you read? have many jap books have you read not counting novels?

People vastly over rate the importance of world building, especially outside of books and tv live action.

It was just engrish mistake.

These names are terrible.

You're used to based Anglo worldbuilding. We have irl experience. When the nips tried we punched them a couple of times and they never learned how properly.

>I have never watched Sora no Woto

There are still plenty of shows with great world-building like Aria, Cowboy Bebop, Haibane Renmei, and Sora no Woto.

1. Read side materials for all the background!
2. Too lazy to develop one.
3. Not important in the story.
4. Said anime revolves a lot about worldbuilding, but you just don't like it, hence 'shitty'.

>tfw love anything post-apocalyptic
>tfw ALL post-apocalyptic anime have awful world building

most anime is crap and only pandering to otaku

>pretty much any other medium
Nah you mean books and video games and that's it.
Tv series rarely go beyond the same crime-hospital-sitcom shit, and most just feel like a theatre play. Zero worldbuilding there.
And most cartoons on tv lately are just random as fuck, no to mention all the classics that had no logic in the first place. Zero worldbuilding there either.

Then what movies? God I haven't seen any in years since it seems like everything is capeshit and sequels. Anyway isn't the internet talking about some nigger movie set in a literal we wuz kangs hidden space-age african kingdom? I'm sure Sup Forums must be loving it, but not even mahouka was that retarded.

So like I said video games and literature. And even then most anime and video games have a lot in common in terms of writing, specially the japanese ones, so it's pretty much just books.

So
>Why does anime have such shitty worldbuilding compared to literature?
Ehh I don't know actually, I don't read much.

Post the Falklands one

Haibane Renmei's worldbuilding isn't just mindless stuff, it goes hand in hand with the compelling narrative and good character development. It's clearly symbolic, fantastical, mysterious and taken advantage of in a substantial way.

And that show is only 13 eps long, goes to show you that when people with actual talent and craft are allowed to express themselves fully, it gives birth to greatness.

>Cowboy Bebop
>Sora no Woto
Hahaha no, kill yourself.

Care to explain yourself or is being smugly contrarian all you have to say on the matter?

Attack on Titan has better world building than 95% of all US tv series. It is easily on par or better at world building than the #1 TV show Game of Thrones.

I should be the one asking that, what world building there is in those two anime?

Bebop is just random space bullshit and they rarely give off any info about Earth or Mars and what actually happens/happened.

Sora no Woto is just CGDCT, but more boring than the average slice of life anime. The story behind to what happened to the world is generic as fuck:
>muh war killed off the world
>muh desert is advancing
>muh military boredom
>muh princess need to marry to fix things up

l o l

I specifically went out of my way, to world build an anime setting that did not any setting so far. I think the closest anime ive seen, was ironically re:Creators. Who used the same idea that I had, about humans being gods who created other worlds without knowing they did.

This.

And mangakas normally have a concept, they get serialized, then they flesh it out while they work on it for YEARS, at which point their original vision may have changed substantially yet they already have years of backstory to make compliant with which is a nightmare for inconsistency.

>the five plus episodes of Bebop that are entirely about world building qualify as "rare"
>SnW's worldbuilding doesn't count because I personally didn't like the plot
Ebin contrarianism my dude

With Bebop, the world-building is shown through all the little details, such as its technology, which always feels futuristic while also feeling grounded and like it could really exist, its communities, like the homeless people who live in that junk planet/asteroid and the trucking community, the entertainment, specifically when it comes to what is still enjoyed then, like horse racing and baseball and what's no longer a thing like soap operas as well as new things like like the strange cartoons and Big Shot, to what organizations are there. They gave plenty of info about Earth and heavily hinted or outright stated what all happened.

In Sora no Woto, once again, all of the world-building is in the details. Just because you didn't recognize all of the elements that fleshed it out, that doesn't mean that it didn't. Your reductionistic bullshit and use of the word "generic" is just proof that you didn't understand it. The people who inhabit its setting have a rich and detailed culture which is a mix of so many different cultures due to how little people are left. There are plenty of little tidbits given about how the world's militaristic focus ended up affecting hmanity, such as how there aren't even any schools and things that would be offered by them, such as music, are offered by joining the military. So many people in it want to live peacefully but because of the tensions between the nations and the few warmongers, the military is still necessary despite the declining population and state of the world. Good world-building isn't just about how """unique""" an idea is or how the broader strokes of the world are but also all of the little things in it and disregarding those little details is ignoring that. If you ever feel the need to describe something with "muh", then it's likely you didn't pay much attention or understand it too well.

The best world building is consistently found in anime based on long-running shounen manga.

>b-but it doesn't matter if the world building is shit, it's world building all the same
I don't think you redditors know what world building means.

>redditors
Who? Did you get lost on your way to reddit?

The writers can't imagine the world outside of the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. That said, Tokyo at night usually has great atmosphere.

But their world-building isn't shit, you motherfucker. Those posts, particularly the second one, are outright explaining that their world-building is not shit and that you just disregarded them. Also, fuck off with the Reddit shit. I'm not going to go back to where I've never been.
You fuck off with the Reddit thing too. It's not even clever or effective. It's a meaningless insult/reply.

>You fuck off with the Reddit thing too
Make me.

I probably won't.

Good. Take pleasure in entertaining that other fucker, for you seem to have plenty of time to spare.

Reminder that you can report everyone that says go back to Rebbit, as they are all crossboarders and shitposters

Show me it works, senpai.

"World-building" is for DnD players who want to be writers be don't understand how to write. A show's setting shouldn't take priority over its plot or characters.

good worldbuilding takes time. That's the reason books are better at it. Or you can have a very long running series like Naruto.

Japan makes the laziest medieval fantasy.

>It's like DND but cuter!
>and still has game mechanics!

>It's like dragon quest but cuter!
>and still has game mechanics!
Every country is lazy

Don't forget all the magic circles.

What anime has actually decent world building?

I really liked the setting of Shinsekai Yori

Really I thought Mahouka's magic system is one of the most original I've ever seen.

Berserk? I'm in chapter 222 or so and the world consists of an ambiguous blob called Midlands and Arab-ish nation we know jack shit of and apparently there's some mysterious wewuz kangdom somewhere where the five assassins come from.

Pretty much this. Also, every hack copies D&D and not Tolkien. Modern fantasy tropes have Tolkien stuff in name only, with all of it except metaphysical concepts coming from D&D.

>Japan being single entity out of all the other countries
lmao if anything they would either be gobbled up by Russia, China or US if it came down to it.

Fafner I guess.

>nippon stronk
same old shit, at least it wasn't rakudai level of stupidity where a fucking samurai leads japan to victory in ww2

Arabs and niggers? What the fuck are you talking about. What you have is western European nations and Hindus, nothing more.

>The greater union of asian

Herro we japones spokening Ingures to

>US and Mexico are one

Overlord's worldbuilding is pretty great.

Looks like Middle East.

Humans there are equally uncivilized.

But what about (((chosen people)))?

Wow now I can't unsee.

(((Slane Theocracy))) is basically (((their country))).

>Sora no Woto
Worldbuilding? More like single town building

because it is Middle east

west and east EU are fucking inverted too
don't they even know basic fucking geography, how can you get something so simple THAT wrong anyway

Just names. Holy Roman Empire didn't even occupy rome. Could simply be a left over aspect of when each conquered and subsequently lost territory.

Is it that from one of those 'inverted maps' series that labeled N/S opposite of what we did.

Episode limitation (if original), utterly left out (if a VN/LN adaption). It's typically there, but how many of the readers are there for 50% 'how does the infrastructure, politics, economy, other nations, magic work' etc. So try to give the basics and then only address things 'if it's not like normal'.

Cop dramas etc make it out as if entire major crime cases are solved in mere days. Most fiction glosses over the actual protocol, process and time needed to conduct some actions, boring your audience in that manner isn't a good idea. Though some will like learning about that how that world functions, they are generally a minority.

>ctrl + f 'Log Horizon'
>0 results

wew

THIS.

This had some pretty damn amazing and extensive world building. Granted, some of the best parts were in databooks, like the absurd detail of the magic system, so not sure if that's cheating or not.

Valkyria Chronicle's wordbuilding was pretty decent.

Bleach had the best world building I have seen so far.

>west and east EU switched

That's a good thing. The majority of anime worlds are boring and generic. The ones that are good do get world building.