Grave of the retards

why is this forced drama so highly praised? the brother basically killed his sister because he was too proud to live with the aunt and too stupid to live on his own.

That's the point though.

This guy is right, that's what it's about, retarded pride

>forced drama
It's based off a true story.

That's the fucking -
Exactly.

What is the problem though?

Yep
Totally over-rated shit movie

No sympathy at all

Thank you. The whole tragedy would have been avoided if he wasn't an idiot, he drags his sister to live in a cave and a few hours before his sister starves to death he decides it may be good to take some of the money they have in the bank and buy food. He had a freakin savings account in a bank the whole time!!!

>!!!
Stop that.

It's literally someone's life though. This shit it not made up.

That's kind of the point. MUH JAPANESE PRIDE

People who make it a sob story are annoying. you're supposed to feel angry, not sad (except for the little girl I guess)

This tale of World War II civilians is actually a metaphor for Japan's role in WWII.

Japan picked fights it couldn't win because it was too proud and too stupid to just play it cool.

Even worse than that are the people who think it's an anti-war film.

It's a film that attacks the arrogance of Japanese society and the rebelliousness of youth. Note how the American occupation is depicted as a good thing.

>it's an Sup Forums shits on Ghibli episode again

sageru

Thank you

>He had a freakin savings account in a bank
wat, I don't remember this

The father did.

>hurr muh classics
ghibli had a lot of trash, get over yourself you retarded weeaboo

Here's your reply, fag-kun.

>ghibli had a lot of trash
Such as?

>This chorus of people who actually understood the film

Man.

Nobody seemed to get it back when it came out. Discussions were super frustrating.

Then why did the boy steal the farmer's crops? Or was that before he found out about the money?

wtf, is there a single redeeming thing about this retarded brother?

>using weeaboo as an insult
>on Sup Forums

I honestly don't remember, it's been a long time since I watched this movie and I don't want to ever watch it again because it's such a downer.

I mean he was just a kid too. He couldn't really do much. It's funny because the story this is based on (the brother), actually states that novel version of him is much more heroic than he was IRL. Apparently he never even saved food for his sister IRL and let her die and he had other siblings with him as well that died.
But he ended up living.

Both sides in this thread are retarded.

It's a garbage film, but for reasons Sup Forums evidently isn't smart enough to understand.

Webm related highlights a core problem.

his living descendants should be stoned to death

nips are retarded, in taste and in their head, nothign new here.

I don't know how so many people missed the point, if I'm honest.

The fact that after the girl's death they show a bunch of Japanese women enjoying the luxuries of the occupation and then cut back to the shelter to show it in ruins, should've driven the point home quite hard.

why do normalfags love this shit so much then? it has high ratings on western rating sites.

>I mean he was just a kid too. He couldn't really do much
It's not about him DOING things but more about him NOT DOING retarded things like going on a ridiculous project to live alone in the outside when he has a comfy home to live in and an actually understanding aunt who'll let him do nothing all day for some reason.

He went out of his way to fuck everything up.

>should've driven the point home quite hard.
We were too busy crying.

>crying
>at this forced drama
faggot probably cried during clannad too

>clannad
No! Don't remind me!

>the luxuries of the occupation
Did they show nihon girls getting sum of dat BWC?

This. Honestly, I don't know why Americans think this film is an attack on them. It's literally just a critique on Japan that failed them.

People saw that scene as "look at these kids who died heroically while these bitches are eating out of the hand of the invaders".

It's amazing reading the interview with the director where he straight-up says "this is a double-suicide story".

Why did they die so easily it's like that meme where they tell you 5 minutes out in the wilderness without food or water and you die.

Shit film.

so sad ;_;

For morons like you, sure.

Intelligent people are able to see the manipulative nature of that scene.

What are you talking about? I always understood that sequence as the contrast between the social classes during the war. While rich people just left their homes during the bombings and went somewhere else safe, (even out of the country), the poor and middle class had to endure them, having their homes and families destroyed and be forced to rely on those shitty shelters.

>I always understood that sequence as the contrast between the social classes during the war
Way to miss the point you stupid idiot.

I didn't realize how retarded it was until I was much older. I think I was in my early teens when I originally watched it and thought it was very sad.

>Intelligent people
Lost

how is it being manipulative?

>op actually started a discussion with a bait

>this cancer eye quality

Explain why that scene exists. Explain the purpose of it.

Yeah, right. Totally destroyed my argument with those personal insults.

to show what the little girl's life was like in the cave? an integral part of understanding the story?

the nature of provoking an emotional response in someone else is in itself a form of manipulation of someone's emotional faculties using a medium.

Your batshit insane logic is applied to everything since all of it is manufactured

Except this was after the war, when living conditions in Japan improved drastically.

The idea of that scene is to point out that if the brother had just stuck with his aunt and behaved a bit more humbly, then he and his sister could've lead a nice life. The shelter is a shrine of the brother's arrogance.

Why do think the film is called "Grave of the Fireflies"? Because the light that fireflie produce is lost quickly because they die quickly- Much like the brother's delusions of independence.

>forced drama
>ACTUALLY FUCKING HAPPENED

Movies try to make you feel things with actions and imagery in the film? Next you'll tell me water is wet

Literally EVERY single film manipulates you. You're not onto some sort of government top secret with this one, user.

Did you come up with this yourself, or did you read it on some movie review website?

Because it sounds like a load of bullshit.

don't let the other retards get you down, I know what you mean. a well written story elicits an emotional response without being obvious with it. if the illusion is too obvious, the magic trick loses its wonder.

I didn't think it was anything about the aunt/brother's arrogance though, at all. It was more about how the society failed them. They were both kids, he wasn't arrogant, just ignorant.

Thank you for confirming your stupidity.

Nice argument, thanks for proving yours

Sure thing buddy. You're only one of many here not to get it.

So both the boy and the girl are dead, and you think the film showing you a montage of the girl doing little girl things is "an integral part of understanding the story"?

Once again, thank you for confirming your stupidity. People like you will never learn.

Except that is literally the point of almost all movies, to make you learn or feel a emotions from the characters and its plot
Your autism fueling your cynicism is a bad combo m8

Cool buzzword kiddo

Good films evoke emotion from the audience through purely diegetic means. An idiot like yourself wouldn't understand what that means, and therefore you don't have a hope of ever knowing when you're being manipulated.

>he wasn't arrogant
Really nigga?

What the fuck else is a kid gonna do though? The aunt was rude as fuck. I'd run away too.

Your post exudes so much pretentiousness, dude.

>The aunt was rude as fuck. I'd run away too.
one thing to kill yourself for being a sensitive retard, but he also dragged his sister along with him

the stupid kid crying was the most irritating part of the movie. by the end of the movie, i was glad she died

the VA nailed it holy shit

She was also deliberately malnourishing and taking advantage of them. Besides the constant nagging, they had no freedom at all in that house, that can't be called a 'comfy life', like says.

She wouldn't be rude if he worked instead of sitting on his ass the whole day to do God knows.

And even if she was rude (not so much considering the circumstances) it's still easier to deal with a rude aunt than to fucking build a house and steal food to barely survive with your 4 years old sister.

Only because you're too stupid to understand it, no matter how clearly it's been outlined.

>deliberately malnourishing
They were healthy and got enough food, just not the greatest shit on the table because he didn't help with that unlike everyone else. WOW I DIDNT GET EXPANSIVE RICE BOO FUCKING HOO

>they had no freedom at all in that house
Like what freedom? They had their room. They could sit on their ass forever. That's what they did until the brother went all Snake Eater

It's easy to say this from your perspective, but look at it from his POV.
>son of high ranking military man
>lived extremely comfortable life before the war
>forced to live with aunt who barely feeds him, steals his food, and yells at his sister
A combination of extreme pride + anger does things to you, especially in his youth when he still is quite ignorant about the world in general. He wasn't thinking logically, just impulsively.

You're the bigger idiot if you really think I went into a well known tear jerker movie not expecting the writings driving point being to make me sad
When that scene of the little girl playing around the cave came on I knew she was going to die because the scene was trying to get me to empathize with her so I would feel her death more, and it worked even though I knew the writers/directors reasoning for scenes
It's called having empathy, here's the last (you) you'll get outta me

Re-watch the movie, pal. She made them sold their mother's belongings progressively to bring food to the table, and even then she wasnt giving them what by right was theirs.

>Like what freedom? They had their room. They could sit on their ass forever. That's what they did until the brother went all Snake Eater

They couldnt use the bathroom inside the house or even the kitchen. Why do you think he had to buy their own cooking tools?

So he acted the worst way he could because muh pride. I'm not saying it makes the movie bad or anything, but it's not a sob story about society failing kids. It's kids retiring from society and fucking dying because society wasn't there to support them anymore.

>t. Failed film school student

It was also during a war and they were poor as fuck, as if they're entitled to anything at all. They were lucky to have a roof and some rice. None of that justifies being a retard and getting your family killed just because you aren't getting the respect you'd like from your benefactors.

I'm not the poster you were originally quoting. Your post just gave me the impression that you are too far up your own ass, that's all.

>You're the bigger idiot if you really think I went into a well known tear jerker movie not expecting the writings driving point being to make me sad
You're the biggest idiot for not understanding anything I said, or what the meaning of diegetic is.

You don't have to fight it dude, dumb movies like this were made for people like yourself. You're the dumb market, which is essential to the industry.

Without ever trying to talk it out, mind you. The brother was a fucking leech

You're only further proving your stupidity here.

I almost feel bad for these types of autists, they come up with and argue the life out of the pettiest of things just to feel "superior" in their minds for only a moment in their sad lives

Yeah, shame on me. You are the only intelligent and enlightened one here, it seems.

Certainly more than a moron like yourself at least.

You have just proven that you can't have a debate without relying on personal insults to reinforce your points. Way to consider yourself 'inteligent', man.

Heh Plebians, this movie is not about muh little monkey brain fee fees but about showcasing how overrated the Japanese government is by its own people and how the filthy gaijin are dirty apes with too much power who throw their stinky feces bombs at anyone who so much as glares at their "beautiful land of the free"

Not the user you replied to, but you're a smug cunt.

Debate? What debate? You really are a moron.

>the idiot resorts to obvious samefagging

Did you have to think hard for that reply? Because it certainly took you a while.

this

It not samefagging, I'm still lurking around lads

Believe it or not, there are better things to devote focus to than morons like yourself.

It's that time of year again.

bump