Greco-Roman Culture Appreciation Thread

Post your favorite images from the Ancient World

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/humanities/art-africa/west-africa/mali1/a/great-mosque-of-djenne
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Djenné
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Djenné#Present_mosque
poolhouseltd.bandcamp.com/track/rewind
jstor.org/stable/3336477?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Djenné
wondermondo.com/Countries/Af/Mali/Mopti/DjenneMosque.htm
researchgate.net/publication/305807390_Veil_Modesty_Privacy_and_Resistamce
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Minoan Art is some of my favorite (1500 BC)

Fresco

Marcus Aurelius after triumph over Germans

They didn't have cameras back then and if they did, they probably wouldn't even be in black and white

Bump

Wish I could get a body like this

Can we post some Renaissance stuff aswell?

That is Hercules, friend.

This one is called the Dying Gaul

Checked and yeah I know. Lion skin and club gave it away

Checking myself

Looks more like the gaul with mild leg pain

I'm running out of Greco-Roman sculptures.

identity depends on source - some say this is caligula's mother/nero's grandmother; others say this is caligula's sister/nero's mother

Daily reminder that Minoans had a full plumbing system and a heating system (2500BC) while versailles palace (1715AD) had nothing. Minoans were talking hot baths and used toilets while the French aristocracy shitted on open holes and used perfume so they can avoid taking bath for 3 months or more
>the master race

Gr*eks and R*mans where black

Just incredible

This is nothing, imagine the original form, with colors and everything

Hadrian in a kansas city museum --- i went there and actually touched it. he was a faggot but he killed alot of jews so i guess he's ok

and Titus killed a fuckton of jews too and sacked their temple good

>ctrl+f laocoon
fucking plebs

(Africa)

Why do they have such curly hair if they're white?

Mediterraneans

Have you tried to chisel individual hairs in stone? It's probably not all that easy. And even the women have such curls in most of these statues.

Built by French.

Let me guess, their empires and kingdoms fell shortly after this was made?

you like little boys Sup Forums?

Documented by him but not built by him

khanacademy.org/humanities/art-africa/west-africa/mali1/a/great-mosque-of-djenne

Why do I enjoy these so much? It's mimicking reality as hard as it can but shouldn't that be boring because I see reality everyday all around me? Or is it because it's trying to mimic the ultimate beauty in reality which is only an ideal and doesn't exist?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Djenné

" The first mosque on the site was built around the 13th century, but the current structure dates from 1907"

It's barely a hundred-year-old building. Why bring it here?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Djenné#Present_mosque

Built by the French.

blue eyes and white skin?

HOL UP!

Perhaps it is a simple understanding of the difficulty involved. For the record I think some of the renaissance artists surpassed the technical skill of the Greeks and Romans, pic related.

poolhouseltd.bandcamp.com/track/rewind

I agree

>Or is it because it's trying to mimic the ultimate beauty in reality which is only an ideal and doesn't exist?
this.

classical antiquity aimed for the ideal: the good life, the best individual, and the best society. of course they fell short, but their greatest accomplishments were all in pursuit of the earthly ideal.

>Wikipedia

jstor.org/stable/3336477?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Why not? Really why not? Who's stopping me? Who? Im a grown man i get to decide

Lol they do

Your own source. Jesus Christ. Why are you niggers so stupid?

>I think some of the renaissance artists surpassed the technical skill of the Greeks and Romans
I'd say there's no competition at all. Renaissance era artists had far more knowledge and experience and better tools and materials. They were standing on top of giants, so to say. Some renaissance era art is almost unbelievably beautiful.

Your common sense should have stopped you, Julian.

Mabey political or economic support buy like i said there was a documented rr construction of it

newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Djenné

wondermondo.com/Countries/Af/Mali/Mopti/DjenneMosque.htm

This is called "The Chosen One" representing a prophecy of some ancient gods, sculpted in 810 BC.

It's hard to believe something like this could have been done without robots and lasers. Or without any machines at all. 300 years ago.

Looks too shitty to have been made by Greeks or Romans tbqh, probably made by some fat Anglo with sausage fingers.

researchgate.net/publication/305807390_Veil_Modesty_Privacy_and_Resistamce

Don’t ruin this thread with your autism.

Herakles is the best

I always love that curtain effect

Can i ask you something? How cold is it over there?

+2°C or something

Bernini is really GOAT

trump looks ugly

Well, you already have the penis. Now stop drinking so much soylent so your titties stop growing and you might have a chance!

and black hair, woah

datass