Jin Roh: The Woof Brigade

Um...can someone explain to me how a movie that has nazis in power armor carrying MG-42's can be so fucking boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LpVNNC52Q_o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

2deep4u?

2deep4u

>the woof brigade

nice touch

Because the movie isn't about them.

At least the soundtrack was good.

youtu.be/LpVNNC52Q_o

Fucking top tier.

They forgot to make it entertaining.

Because you have ADHD

>2deep4u

>"symbolism" so deep that they literally pound you across the head with it over and over and over until you understand that "hey, maybe this just might have some allegorical ties to the Little Red Riding Hood?"

it's because you're 12.

If you need explosions or shouting or modern anime expression noises every 15 seconds to keep your interest then this movie is not for you.

The story has lessons to be taken away from but most of the underlying issues aren't relate-able for many people. Such as: changing political climates, soldiers attempting to integrate back into society, spies being torn between the mission at hand and the personal bonds they develop, the classic Romeo and Juliet style tragedy, watching the world change as you grow, etc.

You are a moron. It's one of the best movies ever made.

I do wish they would have explored the political and societal situation more. It would have made the personal drama that much more impactful.
Akira, for example, did an excellent job of that.

I don't remember the soundtrack being this good.
Maybe it's time to watch it again.

I felt like Jin-Roh touched upon a lot of little themes but didn't really explore anything in depth enough to be interesting or have any impact, it ends up being a film I only really enjoy for it's visuals, music, and general atmosphere.

It is and was intended to be part of a franchise about an alternate history. The film is not meant to represent its entire world perfectly on its own. Look into it; there's live action movies and sound dramas and all sorts of nonsense that take place in the same world as Jin-Roh.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga

>Only going so deep as a reference to another work instead of looking at the metaphysical concepts that such works are actually about
>Not being able to feel what a piece of art is meant to evoke about your own life and place in the universe

Typical.

Yeah, I already know the franchise is a big complicated thing, I just think Jin-Roh probably could've benefitted a lot from being like a 20 episode series, the themes could be explored very well and there would be a lot more emotional impact to everything if we actually got to know the characters and get attached to them beforehand.

>tfw we will never get a full Kerberos series
>tfw Mamoru Oshii will never make another anime
>never ever

Akira, for example, did an excellent job of that.

The manga, maybe. The film didn't give us much outside of a protest put down violently, biker gangs running amok, and governments doing psychic splicing on kids. I think it helped it in this way. The world is confusing to us, chaotic and frightening, because we don't understand what the hell is going on with these people. It makes the idea that the worst possible person to be given God like powers could happen.

Akira(manga) maybe. Anime? No.

A part I really liked is that Fuse is lying to the audience for the entire movie. We only see what he's really like when he suits up for the finale.

Oshii really isn't capable of writing something that long, shit just look at what happened when he started writing GITS with Innocence, that movie was hot garbage.

2deep4u probably

Because you're the type that can't find a story interesting if you don't invest emotionally in the characters? This movie suffers that due to the length.
I'm such people. Throw me any stories people call a masterpiece, it'll just be boring if I don't care about the character involved.

So yeah OP, I agree with you. Jin Roh is fucking boring.

Where the FUCK do I download Oshii's Stray Dog?
>not on Nyaa/Pantsu
>Baka has no seeders
>Piratebay stalled at 93%
Just fucking put me to sleep already.

new movie when? i'd even be happy with another live action one

>boring
t. ADHD kid with shit taste

Kill yourself.

This is wrong.
He HAD a breakdown in the beginning, that's why he didn't shoot. The wolf brigade used that breakdown to build the whole plan.

Why does it seem like no one understands this?

>2deep4u
I don't understand how is that an argument, when your movie is more boring than 3h special about turtles you can't expect sleeping people to pay any attention to the movie. Movie being slow or without any action is one thing being complete snore fest is another.

>things happen in the movie
>I get bored by them
>but it's not my fault

because they took a story about civil unrest and political change and made it into a personal story of one character who want all that interesting, but evidently over powered. honestly the whole meta duty theme that dragged on forever felt my like a Noh play than a fucking anime about social unrest... maybe that was the plan, maybe is wasn't. it just started on some very interesting subject matter, then never returned.

>The film is not meant to represent its entire world perfectly on its own.
that's a shame because for me that was the most interesting part, then is becomes all about this one guy i don't care about...

>I do wish they would have explored the political and societal situation more. It would have made the personal drama that much more impactful.
this

>this one guy i don't care about...
Your problem.
>It would have made the personal drama that much more impactful.
But it's a political and social movie above all.

well, unless you can get a better feel for the world you are in, you can get more invested. the beginning implies social order is on the brink of collapse, then that problem just vanishes for the rest of the film, everything's great, just not this one guy, he's conflicted, well, are these guys not supposed to be conflicted? and if so how or why? many people single him out for being conflicted, is that suppose to be impossible or something?

How is that my fault? The movie is just boring, nothing happen in 3h turtles special at all but I rather watch it than Jin Roh.

Calling it boring over and over again does not make you right, you know that right?

>the beginning implies social order is on the brink of collapse, then that problem just vanishes for the rest of the film,
Never heard of '68? Fucking ignorants I swear.
>he's conflicted, well, are these guys not supposed to be conflicted? and if so how or why?
A little girl just chose to blow up in front of him, I wonder why he's conflicted.

Dumb people should refrain from commenting.

>I don't care about the movie but it's the movie's fault
>hurr durr

But it describe the movie perfectly.

Because this is not a movie about nazis in power armor wielding MG-42's.
Hell, they aren't even Nazis to begin with, they're SWAT.

Boring is not a valid complaint, this is the problem with millennials

The movie made me think about what being a soldier would be like. I don't think I would have the guts to kill people.

You are watching movie for entertainment, psychological movie can entertain you by good plot, political movie by engaging characters or political commentary, Jih Roh have no entertaing value that's why everyone who don't have stick up their own ass will call it boring. It's the same as new spider man movie things happen, there is some action but nobody give a shit about any of that and walk out of cinema bored as hell so yes this is most definitely movie fault.

>Never heard of '68? Fucking ignorants I swear.
that's not an explanation...

>A little girl just chose to blow up in front of him, I wonder why he's conflicted.

and neither is anyone else, but its discussed as if his "programing" had failed. is this a thing or has this organization jsut never had soldiers defect before? how long have they been around, we are in alternate history so a frame of reference would help.

as a millenial who loved 12 angery men, judgement a nuremburg, the man from earth and inherit the wind, all film with a lax in action and a focus on issues, this film went on too long and stuck too religiously to personal crap instead of the broader issues it was leading with. yes, it was boring and played more like a noh drama at the end then it did an actual political satire.

this. the movie needed to commit to one idea, then build around it from the start, rather than fake everyone out with the social unrest plot that ceases to be important the rest of the time.

not wrong...

>i'm sure doubling down on the retarded buzzword will work
(You)

would you prefer long and unengaging?

Mind you, I am not the one who led with this "boring" stuff, but the guy who did is not wrong

I'd prefer actually backing up the statement of boring beyond "I DON'T LIKE IT REEEE"

Your mindless entertainment is not everyone's entertainment.
Jin Roh entertains me.
That is not a problem of the movie, if you want something else watch something else.

Mfw baka gaijins are literally too stupid to understand the art of the unsaid.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

>That is not a problem of the movie, if you want something else watch something else.

hey, you said millenials have no taste in deep complex movies, the films I listed are just that, and they nail it quite wonderfully. this film feels to me that it lost its direction within the 2nd act and by the very ending depleted its animation budget compared to first act.

if the manga has better writing I will happily track it down, but I am not going to defend a film that didn't really hold its own just because the subject matter behind it was the better than the film.

its a Noh play, translated to animation...

Those are not complex, retard, they're all very direct movies.
>I'm so smart because I watched 12 Angry Men
Only in America.

The movie is very interesting.

personal attacks don't back Jin-roh
also 12 angry men takes place in one room with ZERO action and its more engaging than this film... why? more subject matter...

also, what do you mean by "direct?" many of the above listed film with the exception of 12 angery men and man from earth leave the questions open to you rather than answered and none are disappointing in the slightest... I kinda wish America had more films like this regularly, only Kramer is dead and the rest of Hollywood wants franchises and remakes, so no hope there.

>The movie is very interesting.
then explain WHY! so with the emperor's new clothes shit and explain.

Jin Roh doesn't need to be defended from someone who thinks 12 Angry Men is complex.

Everything is spelled out directly in 12 Angry Men, you don't even need to interpret or think about what is said to understand what happens.

The depiction of what it means to be a wolf brigade member is simply amazing in the movie. That's what the movie is all about. Fuse goes from not being able to shoot at the first girl who's a dangerous target to shoot her sister, the girl he has feelings for.

>Jin Roh entertains me.
And new Spiderman entertains my 8yo cousin, he also don't understand why I didn't like the movie, it's good that you like something but being oblivious why other people might not like it isn't good. My favorite anime have plenty of flaws that might scare people away so when someone drop it or criticize I understand why, I don't shitpost them with >2deep4u or >adhd kid detected and refuse to admit that maybe my favorite isn't really as good as I think, especially when these people share interest in the same genre.

>Jin Roh doesn't need to be defended from someone who thinks 12 Angry Men is complex.
I didn't call it complex, just more engaging with no need for over the top action, just good writing and direction. and once again, you are playing the new clothes card by attacking men and this one listed film rather than backing Jin-roh. if its so great, backing it should be easy.

>The depiction of what it means to be a wolf brigade member is simply amazing in the movie. That's what the movie is all about. Fuse goes from not being able to shoot at the first girl who's a dangerous target to shoot her sister, the girl he has feelings for.

okay, first suggestion I would give the director, start INSIDE the wolf brigade to establish what the worlf brigade is rather than tell us after the fact "huh, why isn't he acting like a wolf brigade member, something we are referencing, but didn't define, when we faked out the viewers with a more engaging social unrest intro.

Oshii and Okiura
never could be entertainers

>you said millenials have no taste in deep complex movies, the films I listed are just that
Idiot.
>rather than backing Jin-roh. if its so great, backing it should be easy.
Just did.
>Everything is spelled out directly in 12 Angry Men, you don't even need to interpret or think about what is said to understand what happens
It was implied that the opposite is true for Jin Roh.

You are the one who said "I don't like it because it's boring" or "I don't like it because it doesn't talk about what I want to hear".

>Idiot.
that's not an argument...
>Just did.
not very well though... if the story is about the personal hurtles of a solider and duty, their are some heavier war films I could reference that did a better job.
>>Everything is spelled out directly in 12 Angry Men, you don't even need to interpret or think about what is said to understand what happens
>It was implied that the opposite is true for Jin Roh.

I didn't write that sentence, that was some other guy.

>You are the one who said "I don't like it because it's boring" or "I don't like it because it doesn't talk about what I want to hear".
by that logic you can argue the ghost busters reboot was a good movie...

>that's not an argument...
>I've not said that but in reality I did
Yeah, idiot seems like the perfect word to describe you to me.

>I didn't write that sentence, that was some other guy.
I did. To explain things to you. I had to point it out a second time and explain that the opposite of that was implied for Jin Roh because you didn't seem to understand.
Just how stupid are you exactly?
Oh, dear, another retard.
I wasn't trying to say anything about Jin Roh with that sentence, just that you have no argument.

>I did. To explain things to you. I had to point it out a second time and explain that the opposite of that was implied for Jin Roh because you didn't seem to understand.
>Just how stupid are you exactly?
to be fair this in an anonomous board, its not easy to track overlap when there is no labeling of different users.

my point is, Jin-roh, comes off as something super deep, but doesn't do a good job leading you in. might have worked better if they used a real conflict rather than a fictional one.

>Oh, dear, another retard.
Wow, that dude is right, you resort to insults too freely. Bad form

>my point is, Jin-roh, comes off as something super deep
It really doesn't. It's just about not being retards who can't understand non verbal communication.

Go cry to your mom, faggot, this is Sup Forums and everyone's gonna call you out on your bullshit.

>It really doesn't.
isn't that your ENTIRE fucking argument though?

>first watch
"wow I fucking love these designs, I love the post war 50s visuals and the cool red eyes armor, kinda slow though"
>second watch
"damn these political intrigues are pretty interesting and subtle, the main characters are pretty interesting too"
>third watch and onward
"I just love the moment when you realize he knows she's an agent but keeps playing the game, eventually choosing his pack over the little red riding hood"

the movie is amazing because it is boring at first glance, but gets more exciting with each viewing.

As one Japanese participant in one of my seminars said to me the other day “Finally I had to realize that when speaking with Americans, if I don’t say it they are not going to get it. So I have to say it.” This is truly on the mark.

Top kek, sums up this thread perfectly.

Uh? No.

>Go cry to your mom, faggot, this is Sup Forums and everyone's gonna call you out on your bullshit.
>im so deep, everyone else who doesn't get this film is a pleb, watch me insult everyone to make my point and no articulate my point because I doing fucking HAVE ONE!

>Jin-roh, comes off as something super deep
Only if it's babbies first Oshii movie. They literally explain everything you need to know in the movie. I bet you're one of those people who thinks that Lain is a super deep anime too.

>As one Japanese participant in one of my seminars said to me the other day “Finally I had to realize that when speaking with Americans, if I don’t say it they are not going to get it. So I have to say it.” This is truly on the mark.

actually, this also sums up why american liberals never can compete with conservatives, conservatives mean, what they say, liberals imply it. who wins the elections?

>I bet you're one of those people who thinks that Lain is a super deep anime too.
never saw it...

Yes but Fuse definitely had feelings for her.

>post war 50s
It's called "the '60s".
You have to go back.
>watch me insult everyone to make my point
I do it because it describes what I'm seeing. It's not an insult.
Learn to read and you'll know what my point is.
Well, Lain is more complex than Jin Roh, though.

>I do it because it describes what I'm seeing. It's not an insult.
>Learn to read and you'll know what my point is.
emperors new clothes...

>Academics love to come up with models about how the world works; it helps to simplify complex situations, and makes things more understandable to your average person. One model in particular has helped me better understand more about communication in Japan. In the late 1970s, anthropologist Edward Hall introduced the idea of "high context" and "low context" cultures.
>The differences between high and low context cultures is all about communication. A low-context culture communicates in very explicit, plain terms; a high-context culture, like Japan, makes the assumption that people have a shared set of knowledge, so things don't need to be outright explained.
>Obviously, both of these styles of communication have their advantages and disadvantages. While everything is spelled out very clearly in low context cultures, allowing even outsiders to easily understand what's going on, some of the communication can be painfully forthcoming and blunt. Subtlety is a rarity in low context cultures.

>the movie is boring
>I'd have liked it if was about the political context
>hehe he doesn't have any argument against this
Strange. Very strange indeed.

he had, no doubt, that made his choice of 'bros before hoes' even more

its on youtube

It is though. Boring does not necessarily mean it's bad or even that it's not good.

>>the movie is boring
>>I'd have liked it if was about the political context
>>hehe he doesn't have any argument against this
>Strange. Very strange indeed.
yeah... these are like three different people you are citing though...

Where's your argument then?

well, first you are trying to daisy chain the arguments of three separate people into one. My take is the film either doesn't work becasue of cultural differences, or it started with too much investment in the subject matter of the beginning, the greater conflict, then retreated away to a narrative about personal conflict, and the audience feels duped.

>well, first you are trying to daisy chain the arguments of three separate people into one
What a pompous faggot, you already said that and I already moved on. Why would you waste time to repeat yourself like that?

>My take is the film either doesn't work becasue of cultural differences
So it's bad because you're ignorant?
>it started with too much investment in the subject matter of the beginning, the greater conflict
It's called giving a context.
After 20 minutes you already have the event that gives motion to all the subsequent events, and it started way before 20 minutes with the chase.

Basically what you said is not even an argument.

>My take is the film either doesn't work
It does work. It's one of the more popular anime movies out there.

>or it started with too much investment in the subject matter of the beginning, the greater conflict, then retreated away to a narrative about personal conflict

If you prefer flashy riots and big fights then the movie isn't for you, and that's fine. But that's not the movies' problem; it's yours. If you got 'tricked' by basic storytelling into thinking that the movie was going to be about the riots then that's your problem, too, and you should probably watch more movies.

nice bait. It IS a bait, right?

>It's called giving a context.
Now we found the problem. The movie is just plain shit at giving context.

>If you prefer flashy riots and big fights then the movie isn't for you, and that's fine.
There hasn't been a single instance of this thread where someone showed that but continue being retarded.

Literally whats wrong with the dicksuckers itt? The movie is objectively shit but they can't provide a good counterargument to save their lives and are just insulting other people.

So it's bad because you're ignorant?
No it's bad because IT IS bad.

It's a political thriller.

>The movie is just plain shit at giving context.
Now we find the problem. You're ignorant about history and therefore unable to catch the hints.

>The movie is objectively shit
It's shit because you don't understand the context of the revolutionary '60s?
It's bad because you don't know about the terrorists of the '70s?
Sure.

>they can't provide a good counterargument
A counterargument to what, exactly?

Because you are not their target viewer.

>You're ignorant about history
Good thing that this is fictional then and it's a shitty one at that.

>It's shit because you don't understand the context of the revolutionary '60s?
Which is why the movie so half-assedly try to reference and show it and ended up being a poorly made tripe about sad Nazi cop man.

>It's bad because you don't know about the terrorists of the '70s?
see above.

the red riding symbolism was heavy handed and pounded into you the entire time. i could see where it was going halfway into the movie.

Boring = uninteresting.
Get a better grasp of the English language bitch ass nigga

Maybe it's uninteresting for you, retard.
>Good thing that this is fictional then and it's a shitty one at that.
It's not fictional, retard, it references the end of the 60s and the 70s. Specifically in Europe.
>the movie is half-assed because I'm ignorant about history
Not the movie's fault, it's your fault for being ignorant.

Incredibly beautiful film, both in animation and cinematography. And the audio was incredible. I can't remember the last time I felt that on edge only because of visuals and a soundtrack.

I could have understood why people didn't like how they pushed the red riding hood parallels if it wasn't such a red herring. Since both the protag and love interest were wolves in clothing in the story.
Not that that's really what it's about, nor I'd say social commentary. It's a character drama wrapped in a cold war-style spy film. One of few anime I've seen that doesn't feel like it's pretending to be deep.

>It's a character drama wrapped in a cold war-style spy film
This sentence sums it up perfectly.
It's basically le Carre in Anime form.

Let me add.
If you liked this movie read le Carre or watch the The Spy Who Came in from the Cold movie and all the BBC series.

ITT: babbys 1st movie

Cool! I'm torrenting it right now.

Are there any other good spy animu?

itt: people trying too hard to fit in

Because the movie is only 10% of that.
The rest is quiet guy, who's only cool with armour on, and bland the other times, and some annoying bitch.