/LOG living off grid thread - getting out of the rat race

Got a few questions yesterday about my semi off-grid living lifestyle.
My land is situated close to a rural road, have utilities so have to pay the minimum for water/electricity. My tiny home is situated on a lot of about 40m x 40m, my backyard is a tropical rainforest.

How I started: Purchased the poorest lot, 100% sand, no top soil, was a clearcut area that was previously used as a storage area for a Brazil nut harvesting station/outpost. I erected a wall around my lot to keep foreign species from contaminating the native flora.

How I recuperated the land:
Year one: spread a shit ton of Castor beans seeds and Argemone Mexicana and Moringa (in tropical climate from seed to tree in 6 months). This helps to fatten the land and loosen the soil. Could grow cassava and sweet potato, so I did. Erected an enclosure on wheels and raised bunnies (for their shit and meat), fed them mostly moringa and vege/fruit scraps.

By year 2, weeds started growing fast and furious, I let them go wild, did not uproot jack shit, waited for natural succession to take hold. Got a screw press made and started processing the castor seeds to get castor oil and started producing cold pressed Brazil nut oil and Coconut oil, sold that production to restaurants and built up a clientèle.

With the money I made I purchased a giant fresnel lense and built a trompe and fresh water well. Used moringa seed paste to clean the city water for irrigation purposes.

Year 3, I had topsoil from the bunny shit and started to bring in the food crops I needed, high protein plants first to feed myself and the bunnies: Heirloom amaranth seeds, more moringa, ora-pro-nobis and obtained leaf kenaf from a quilombo (ex slave colony). I now had the top 4 high protein plants I needed.

(continued in next post)

Other urls found in this thread:

survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bring in fruit trees, nut trees and the craziest shit I could find:

Started transplanting fruit trees:
- red banana
- pineapple
- Cashew
- Pequi (a rare fruit tree that makes a cheese/dirty socks fruit and a tasty nut)
- Blackberry Jam fruit
- Mulberry
-Miracle fruit
-Coconut
-Cocoa
-Vanilla
- Lime berry
- Lemon
- Lime
- Huito
- Brazilian cherry
- Suriname cherry
- Peanut butter fruit
- Curry leaf tree
- Agave
- Peach palms
- Soursop
- sweet ubaia
- Miracle fruit
- mangoes (6 types)
---
Starch plants: Carrot-potato / cassava
Malabar chestnut
--
Put tons of flowering plants and started a stingerless bee hive compound.
-
Put in medicinal plants
---
Planted personal hygiene plants:
- soap trees
- Jua trees (makes toothpaste from bark) + fruit.

8 years later, I am pretty much self sustainable, I only need to buy rice and toilet paper, clothing.

I now cold press:
Coconut oil
Pequi nut oil
Kenaf oil
Castor oil
Brazil nut oil
-----------
Monkeys and Iguanas started coming in:
I now collect iguana eggs, I don't eat the monkeys
-----------
I hunt every week end for bush meat, wild boar is my favorite and snakes.
-----------
Made a lava rock hottub that connects to a pine wood sauna I made, I use my fresnel lens to heat up the rocks until red and also have a BBQ/smoke house attached to that set up. This year I will have a pizza oven.
-------
I harvest brazil nuts and a shit load of fruit from the jungle and go fishing whenever I can to supplement my diet.
--------
I often trade with a neighbor to get chicken eggs.
-------
After I had enough wood litter, I started spreading spores of a boletus mushroom that is found in South America.

Mushrooms invaded my lot. I now collect and eat as much mushroom as I can eat. My trees are mature and are producing at an incredible level. My overstock is processed and sold to restaurants.

I started producing fermented coconut sap, kinda like soy sauce and is quite nutritious.
Thinking of producing a moat around my lot with fencing so I can start breeding caimans.

Advantages of equatorial climate> when it rains, it fucking rains, I have a rain water harvesting set up being built at the moment.

My trompe system (taken from permaculture videos) allows me to get compressed air, which I will eventually use to create a processing center for my various needs.

My wife is native, so we now have started eating leaf cutter ant asses during the rainy season and harvest the eggs of a species of ant

Bump

Not political, but really inspirational.
respekt

Thanks...if I could do it, everybody can ;-)

much appreciated :)

/diy/ and /out/ are good places for this sort of talk but Sup Forums does have a long history of discussions relating to independent off grid living.

But you need to own land

Got any pics?

ya, participated in a long thread yesterday and tried to share some knowledge to some people. Thought I could start a thread about how I did it cause it seems to be a current debate

This is the death of civilization

Did you build that stuff all on your own? If so how did you get the knowledge to do so? I started growing simple things (salad, tomatoes, basically a kitchen garden) and even that took a lot of learning

ya, you need the shittiest land possible.
I am in an equatorial region, so shit grows 365 days a year.

will post what I have

pic related, my cousins moved in

can I still eat mcdonalds if I live off the grid?

MOAR

Do plants grow all year round in your part of Brazil?

Why? I provide special food to special people, things most people have never eaten. I bring weird shit to weird people

No you fat fuck start eating proper food not processed sugar and salt

My wife and I have some native in our blood. I also took a class in permaculture and other techniques to get started. I did not have much money, so I needed to start with a sand lot

You won't want to

>I don't eat the monkeys
kek

Very nice, keep that shit up until you need to buy nothing

365 days a year, never stops. I live close to the equator

You're a faggot cuck
Don't listen to that nigger what you're doing is awesome

>/log/
This is nothing like the /log/ threads on Sup Forums

What would you like to know?

Fuck that, toilet paper for life HAHAHAHAHA

Even if so, is that really a bad thing at this point?

>I don't eat the monkeys
>Brazil

uma delicia

Thanks user. I am starting a program to expand that shit to my neighbors and want to eventually get expats to join in the effort and live off grid in hue land.

All are welcome :)

I don't like monkey meat...I much prefer wild boar and water loving rodents like Prea and capivara

Ok taking classes helps a lot i suppose. Also i think it's better to start with the shittiest option because youu have to learn everything from the beginning.

I hope i can aquire all the food growing knowledge over the years, cause sit is going down in a view years and its always good tom be prepared

My pride and joy ---> red banana

Makes excellent booze and vinegar
Huito fruit makes body paint and when mature a booze similar to aged whiskey (wood taste included)

luckily

Booze? My inner Irishman is excited

Where can one do this in the United States besides Alaska?
The cheapest land with all the potential, the right terrain, climate, and back drop, and most importantly absolutely no one to bother you or tell you what to do?

I don't think it even exists in the US.

Fuck you then. Lel, I'm joking. UK has a short growing season. Won't be able to plant anything until at least March. Permaculture is possible here but it takes a lot of work

Exactly, start from nothing and learn the hard way. What I learned that is most important: Put down seeds everywhere and let nature tell you the best place to plant shit.

Don't need to use pesticides, you have an arsenal of natural stuff you can use. If you need some suppliers, I can give you contacts that will provide cheap and excellent natural pesticides

Nice work, user.

ya HAHAHAHAHAH I make a lot of booze, a nigga needs to live.

People love red banana booze and huito booze. I am expanding my operation into making a lime berry + lemon/lime style limoncello.

Response has been good.

You can make booze out of almost anything.. i have made pretty good nut, plumb and pine schnaps.. schnaps is kind of a national drink here

Now I'm talking something that meets all that criteria. There's lots of unincorporated, rural land, but everything I've found is still within earshot of various suburbs and would probably be encroached on by new modern development or other shit in the near future.

This is all fine and well for tropical climates.

For more northerly / southerly climates I think the absolute #1 way to achieve at least partial self sufficiency is in the construction of a root cellar and the growing of common root vegetables.

Grow carrots, rutabagas, potatoes, beets, and others, and they can remain fresh in your root cellar for months and months.

The root cellar is one of the top reasons humanity succeeded so well in Northern climates. It keeps your root vegetables fresh and tasty all the way through winter.

Yes, you still need other stuff to thrive, but a root cellar is indispensable in northern climes and I think a lot of people gloss over that fact.

HAHAHAHA

all farming takes work but is so worth the effort. You can grow a ton of shit in the UK but you need to start your seedlings indoors. If you have a heated greenhouse, you have expanded your growing season by a shitton.

There is a guy in the UK that got a palm tree to survive the winter...so there are ways

Thanks

Indeed, I make a lot of booze, one of my biggest sellers, especially huito fruit and red banana. Almost tastes like synthetic banana but in a good way

The US has a lot of land where pretty much noone lives. Alaska isn't that good i would think because you can't grow shit so you have to hunt every other day and eat nothing but meat.
Also you would need a lot of wood for heating your house.

I would buy land in a warm climate near a forest where it rains often since water is pretty much essential for growing stuff

True, although more difficult, it is good to start growing indoors. I start many of my seeds indoors and transplant later. With a decent greenhouse with heating, you can grow many excellent crops, even tropical ones.

If you can obtain lava rocks and a fresnel lens...you can heat your home without wood, only sunlight

Sadly at this time i can't plant anything right now because i only have my garden and about 2 acres of woods. So I'm probably years away from needing supplies, but thank you anyway!

A+++ rank

You are a good poster. :^)

You are welcome, so unless an anaconda kills and eats me I will be around for a while. When need be, just summon the Brazilian farmer :)

I wanted to share cause I know people need hope that living a semi-wild life is possible.

Honestly, if I could do it, anybody can!

Oh I'm aware. Alaska is just about the last place for traditional farming. Really it was pretty dumb question and more requires self-research. Even once you get the land the logistics has to be a bit of a nightmare starting out, more so for somebody without any experience or history. All I can do is read up on the work involved and people that have done this themselves.

I certainly will do that thanks! :) Wish you the best of luck user. have to go to sleep now

my new fave thing

not just survival and farming... we must organize to start an agricultural network with people locally and nationally focusing on everything we need to survive. surely we all must individually remain viable but a man is not an island... we need to regonize that different regions of the world have different hardships and different bonuses. some areas for instance have easy access to quarry stone... or silica sand for glass making or grass for basket making or any number of useful yet not always available resources.

we must gain self survival but we must also work on supporting our neighbors in order to ensure our own survival

thanks and good night, may your dreams be filled with bountiful harvests

mushrooms are a wonderful sign of strong soil characteristics. they help the soil and the plants grow wonderfully. :)

You can start with permaculture and traditional american agriculture techniques, they really helped me to start from a sand lot to a jungle

i find it hard to believe a fucking canuck is so discoed from nature he would actually suggest such a retarded idea...

i like the idea of biological property defense

it's not a booby trap, your honor. it's my garden.

True...and when I started getting geckos, iguanas, monkey and frogs, I knew my land was the tits

But now the shrooms have spread to my entire lot, I can't keep up!

>I don't eat the monkeys
Good, cuz that would be cannibalism.

UMA

Self research is pretty much the way, you are right. I think if you stay at it the first year you will advance your project, but the firt year is pretty much hell i think. Probably a lot of mistakes, no real progress in growing, etc. Probably really hard to pull off, but people have done it and still regularly do

Indeed, plants offer natural protection that keep assholes away and is the perfect excuse if somebody happens to want to invade and gets caught in my outer rim of bull-nettle...

A drunk dude once fell in the bull-nettle and spent a night sleeping in them. The next morning he looked like the state puff marshmallow man

quite a lot of interesting and dangerous plants out there

HAHAHAHA indeed....but seeing a mother with 2 little furballs attached to her back makes me not want to eat them. Not so for the iguanas, they are fair game. They have delicious eggs and a decent meat.

What you're doing is very extreme, and commendable. I'm very impressed.

I always try to encourage people to take baby steps however.

For instance I always recommend people grow gooseberries (Hinonmaki Red is a good cultivar). They're effortless to grow, will start producing fruit on their second year, you can grow more of them easily from cuttings, and growing them will teach you about pruning and other stuff.

Gooseberries are more for northern climes, but you get what I mean. Most people think about growing their own food and realize it's quite a lot of work. If you buy a fruit tree it could be 5 years before it produces. Gooseberries are very easy to manage, easy to grow, easy to propagate, and they provide absolutely anyone with even a few square feet of space (they can be grown in pots) the ability to grow some of their own fruit and experience what it's all about.

Self sufficiency is fantastic but I'd settle for everyone growing at least a tiny bit of their own produce.

Pesticides was always my barrier to gardening. What natural pesticides etc? Just because its natural doesnt mean it wont harm you.

You speak the truth. I started with Moringa trees, Castor plants and other easy to grow plants and shrubs. They end up bringing in the wild life that helps to contain rampant plagues. After 8 years, I just plant and forget about it until I notice the monkeys trying to eat fruit

You should export the huito booze as it would be very exotic amd premium. What does red banana taste like?

survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014

This is an amazing resource for deep learning on survival and civilization topics.

it includes helpful books that are in the open domain from the 1800s and shit. wanna learn how to make a boiler and steam engine? BAM its in there... really really cool shits guys check this out

Been looking at rural real estate for awhile now. Some of the off grid homes are on decent sized acreages (40 to 160 acres) with ponds, lakefronts, creeks, or rivers.
Amazing stuff.

keep up the good work br friend
do you have some animals too (chickens, rabbits, pigs)?

My go to plant is the soap tree. I only use this soap to clean my clothing, body,, dishes and as a pesticide. It is very high in saponin, it foams up like a mother fucker and does not hurt my plants/crops. It also smells like heaven.

I am working on making a camp suds type product that people can use at home/garden and to replace Tide pods...we need to keep the kiddies alive AHAHAHAH

scientific name: Sapindus saponaria

Bump.

Like you are drinking a sweet artificial banana booze. The flavor profile is so fucking spot on that it almost tastes impossible to be natural.

Very pronounced, very sweet...and just when it is about to become too sweet, it mellows out and leaves you with a floral bouquet in the mouth. So I started mixing huito and red banana booze....Jesus lord....

Like a full flavored aged whiskey with just the right amount of woody start ...but with a floral finish

Really smart. The first thing people need to get their heads around is "purchased the poorest lot". So many think money is an insurmountable barrier. Your story proves otherwise.

I have goats and keep some rabbits cause their shit is gold and I like the meat. This year I want to grass feed the goats and make some goat cheese, press that cheese with some brazil nut and cashew nut flour (after I pressed it for its oil)

seem he has bunnies since year 2 but no chicken and pigs
to be fair, everyone in the rural areas have chickens (no competitive advantages) and he seems to have numerous wild boar populations to hunt.

Oh, living the dream..

EXACTLY

If you don't start poor, you don't learn! Weeds are a friend when you are trying to rebuild your land.

I started with soil so tough, people laughed at my dream. Asked me how I would grow anything but sweet potato and cassava.

No pigs, no chicken...you need leaf litter, annual plants and tons of bunny shit

Bunny shit is gold

Chickens and pigs will fuck up the land, unless you want to recoup a land and have access to castor plants and argemone mexicana

A.M will even recuperate alkaline soils and remove heavy metals from the soil. The yellow latex can also be smoked, but it is very high in opoid like compounds, so it feels like you smoked heroin AHHAHAA (I never smoked heroine but felt so fucking stoned)

The first few years are hard for almost everyone and everywhere. I guess most people quit this shit because they don't have a clue what it takes and try to accomplish too much too soon.

Some amazing work here.

it's nice source of protein but i wouldn't be capable of killing an animal, i'm too mellow/autistic.
if i had some sheep i'd get their milk to make cheese and probably i'd assemble/buy a weaver or something to give some use to the wool kek

Dude you would make so much money with those products at "farmer's markets" that american yuppies shop at. How is your income there? I guess the booze is untaxed and only sold/traded to locals like moonshine is here in the US?

Thanks Fin bro :)

And you are right...I started with shit land and had to fuck up multiple times but I wanted to recuperate the worst shit ever

I would love to make my success into a business. Get Expats to come down and help me create Eden

How did you find your way to Sup Forums? How do you get internet?

Sure, it is always good to know what you will do and make sure you use everything you produce....fucking everything.

Killing is not for everybody, that is why I also grow the top 4 protein based plants, just in case I don't hunt and get a prize or if my wife can't snap a few necks

Kenaf
Moringa
Ora-pro-Nobis
Amaranth

All my animals (bunnies/goats) are fed with these 4 plants and they are buff like australian

kangaroos

I am working with expats over here to get shit going...you have no idea the shit we have and are looking to distribute world wide.

Hmm, so that's why our land fertility is dropping? Too much chicken and pigshit? Well I'll be damned.
If you have time, please make an introductory infographic for us, God willing some NEETs will follow in your footsteps.

Sheep will actually need much much more land just to graze, there's a reason why herders need to move periodically.

I am similar but I could kill fish. Fuck fish.

I live on a road that used to have many Brazil nut processing plants/storage areas. They have electricity and they brought in cable a few years ago. I am currently sitting in my office, with the forest surrounding me.

I picked this place cause I knew someday I would need to expand my operations...and the land was a give away. I found pol cause I first tried rettardit (2 days) and wanted to hang myself...some dude suggested (as an insult) POL and I have been here ever since. Been lurking for a LONGGGGG time.

Yes, correct, and I will. People seem to be interested so I will start making some informative graphs based on my humble beginnings on soil so hard only cassava and sweet potato would grow.

nice, a new thread
These are on a same level as /sig/.

Mandatory!

As long as you don't give them a name....

When I see a new monkey troupe, I name them so my brazilian instinct doesn't kick in and I try to eat them AHAHAHA (kidding)

Hey folks I made a permanent board for this discussion, since threads like these seem to get deleted.....
It's pretty new and needs traffic.
>8ch dot net /offgrid/

do you have some job or you just live from the land? if it's the latter i envy you so much (in a good way, of course)

Thank you very much. I created this post to inform people and make them understand that even the poorest person can accomplish the same.

Imagine what /pol could accomplish if we all gave out important info rather than hate threads

Gods work OP
will definitely come back to this thread when i see it.
its not politics, but it is a good way to expand upon our interests and learn to practice what we preach. build it up, like /selfimprovement general but a sustainability focus. there is a lot we can learn from each other.
thanks again brazilfag, glad to have you with us.