Is he the deepest MC shonen character yet?

Is he the deepest MC shonen character yet?

No. Not since a while. Between Thriller Bark and the timeskip he became an utter, one dimensional retard.

Compare Alabasta or Water7 Luffy to post-timeskip Luffy and there's a clear difference. Can't avoid Flanderization when running for 20 years.

I unironically think the deepest shonen MC is Killua

Retard.

Probably

Some good points though. Old Luffy would have never done what he did for the reasons he named at dressrosa

>Turning into a hypocrite makes you a deep character
LMAO!

>muh sad moments make a character deep
Confirmed bad taste

Kurapika, Gon, Jolyne, Edward.

Far from me wanting to think that Luffy is three-dimensional, he's not (and I'm okay with that), but whenever that question arises, somenone quote Gon. Why do people think being edgy means being deep? Why do people associate tragic and dark with depth?

>MUH FREEDUMBS
>MUH I DONT CARE ABOUT PLANS
>MUH RETARDATION
>MUH NAKAMA

Bravo
Bravissimo

>Gon
>edgy
Wew lad.

I'm talking specifically about Monster Gon.

>What's character development

It's called character development

If only the right was before the left.

It's not character development. It's not contradictory. This is a very common hero archetype - realizing that you can't save everyone. It's perfectly normal have an emotional reaction to your brother dying.

that's what character development is you asshat

>realizing that you can't save everyone.
He already knew that and was trying to tell that to Vivi on the left.

No, gon and killua are far ahead.

>Jolyne
Part 6 is seinen, not shonen

>luffy
>deep
>generic shonen protag, eat, nakama, resolves problems with fist
Shitty bait

Gintoki is better.

>Hypocrite
How exactly?

Diference between knowing that 1+1=2 and that one plus one Is two.

Gon or Kenshin

>Published in WSJ
>Seinen
Part 7 onwards is the Seinen

You're just to dense to understand.

No, that's my nigga Joe

Better MC coming through

Character development can be bad if it takes a characer in the wrong direction, you know

>Now showing emotions of anger, vengeance and hate are calling edgy
Fucking buzzwords man

>Eroge
>Shonen

HEEY~ JOE~

UBW is a shonen

literally one of the shallowest

I REMEMBER
But to be honest, I actually kind of prefer midnight blues over the movie song

It's unfair to compare Joe with the battle shonen listed in this thread. Joe's complexity and development are a hundred times beyond the so called "deep" characters like Meruem and firmly puts him among the examples of Hamlet and Shinji Ikari as the most fascinating characters studies in fiction

nah

You're an idiot. His brother died, of course he's going to have an emotional breakdown

He became shit as the series progressed.

muh power of friendship =/= depth

Hey, it still is a shonen though, it was on WSJ from late 60's to early 70's
But yeah, I agree with you, the constant ever present necessity of self-improvement and character development since being an orphan hobo in some slum with no reason to live, to a fight junkie carried by his will to defeat his utter rival, and finally a well made boxer who wants to be at the top, no matter if the cost is becoming white ashes can't compare to these days devoted of will MCs
Maybe Kenshiro is the closest to him in Shonen MCs, idk

I'll clarify by stating that I'm only just into the Saobody Reunion arc, but I did just marathon Impel -> Summit War.

I think arguing that Luffy is deep or shallow sort of misses the point, in that I see the entire series as being a little 'shallow', in terms of its dedication to avoiding any discussion of philosophy and belief.

The Summit War- the epic confrontation between the Marines and the Pirates. Yet there's fuck all belief or philosophy on either side; Whitebeard is there to get his 'son', and something about a 'new age', and that's it. The Marines spout bits about 'Justice' occasionally, but there's no attempt to clarify it. Luffy's just running for his brother.

You can absolutely argue that beliefs are better shown through the characters' actions, without dialogue. I'm just saying that the series doesn't even have so much as "this is my way of the ninja!"

>Shinji Ikari
>most fascinating characters studies in fiction
Nice meme

NIce comeback kiddo, bet you can't even come up with a way to contradict me or propose some kind or counter argument you can only hate, don't you like me TOUGH! i wasn't here to please you.............

Only if it's the first mentally retarded character of a 10-year-old boy, honestly Luffy is already starting to get annoying he looks like a spoiled child

explain to me, then
yeah, berserk mode is the same as getting angry.

no pic-related is

sad moments ARE what define personality, not only in anime but in real life to, fucking retard.

>berserk mode
wat

idk I haven't plowed his asshole. yet

His brother died you absolute mong

>deep

lol

Luffy isnt "deep" per say, he really is just a standard shounen mc, but he is the absolute best possible execution of that troupe which is what makes him so much better than every other shounen mc. nothing wrong with a well executed simple concept.
if you look at the context of both of these scenes you see that they arnt as comparable as you think. Luffy in the alabasta scene is talking about literally two armys of people about to clash. there will be casualties and Luffy understands that you cant save literally everyone. Luffy does however believe that you should be able to protect whats precious to you and is also terrified of losing anyone he cares deeply about. He doesnt have such a small numbered tight knit crew for no reason, he realizes he cant protect a crew so large. so obviously hed be upset over losing Ace who is debatably as close to his heart if not more so than his own crewmates as opposed to a bunch of mooks he knows nothing about.

>but he is the absolute best possible execution of that troupe which is what makes him so much better than every other shounen mc.
HAHAHAHAHAHA c'mon, he's just goku with a hat

i mean, yeah he kinda is that was my point. hes a pretty standard shounen mc, its just Luffy's character is a bit more tightly written and has less flaws than his contemporaries. not that it makes him "deep" just well executed. and him being similar to goku really only extends as far as "goofy eats-a-lot guy who punches stuff". both characters clearly have different values and morals though. Luffy doesnt really give much of a fuck about fighting really which already seperates him from a good portion of Goku's character. Luffy is far more interested in adventure than fighting.

I don't think this show was shonen, bud

You're going to need to explain further Sup Forumsnon. I don't follow.

At what point did characters in One Piece stop having character development and actual personalities?
I mean they were not the deepest shit in the industry, but at least they had personality instead of each character being a machine that pumps up the same joke or quirk all the time.

Obviously after timeskip seems like a good point in which we all noticed it, but surely it must've been a little bit before.

Did Oda fuckin forget how Strawhats acted after not writting them during the Marineford Arc?

Luffy is surely a well executed, although generic, MC. I mean he is not amazing by any means, but the trope of a gold hearted, energetic MC is done quite well at least.

He's simple but not overly simple. Its a balance, which works for One Piece.

I would say my favorite shonen MC would have to be Ed from FMAB. I mean he's not so fucking deep as say some of the characters in Monster, but at least has more development than some of the MCs of other shonen.

There's nothing really deep about Shinji at all. Mobile Suit Gundam already showed what would happen if a teenager was forced to fight battle decades before Evangelion was even created.

No, I feel that Goku is the deepest shonen character. It's actually impressive that he goes from monkey boy living alone in the woods to martial arts champion, to protector of Earth over the course of the manga.

Oda is a piece of shit

One Piece was unique, now is every time the same deal, and he admit that now he draw only big tits to milk the readers.

Honestly, why do people even bother talking about "deepness" in anime or manga here. Every time anyone even tries to bring up some kind of analysis is gets shot down and labelled as "reaching." Sup Forums is so fucking bipolar when it comes to shit like this. People complain that anime is too commercial and lacks any soul or meaning, and then once somebody attempts to uncover some meaning they get utterly trampled upon, as if on principle. Why does anyone here even try anymore?

>Luffy is already starting to get annoying he looks like a spoiled child
Fucking hilarious, Luffy is easily the most level headed of the crew

are his battles strategically interesting?

it's not about having an exchange of ideas, it's about shilling one's favorite manga/anime.

Fuck no
>Puch the baddie hard
>didn't work
>Fuck impossible, gotta punch him harder!
>didn't work
>GOTTA PUNGH HIM THE HARDEST! FUARK PLEASE BUY OUR MERCHANDISE
>Yay i won.

>within the first few chapters, learns a lesson about the value of life that will shape who he grows up to be
>in the following few chapters, shows that he hasn't just inhertied an ideology from that lesson, he's carved his own which balances his appreciation for life with his ambition to be the best
>goes on to build a crew by finding skilled but troubled people, quickly coming to understand them, and taking a course of action which helps them most
And this is all before he reaches the Grand Line and his adventure even begins. The first 99 chapters are all about Luffy's formation as a person and the way he interacts with others. Everything you need to know about the core of his character is right there.

Shonen or deep choose one

yeah, i agree. i was just being an asshole. sorry, user.

he gets better immediately after though

nah this is

>All these Shonen Jump kiddies
The absolute state of Sup Forums

>thread is about shounen protagonist
>gets surprised when people talk about shounen

Right after Enies Lobby. He then tried to focus on world government development bullshit.

Shounen is demographics, user. What you're all talking about is pretty much nekketsu shounen.

Drink more piss

His design is so stupid that I can't take him seriously.

Seconded

I miss him :,(

Not even close.

Source on that last bit?

Ed from FMA was pretty deep.

Zoro is pretty level headed

t. r*ddit

I think the only time luffy ever used strategy were his second and third battle with crocodile, though I wonder if the third time with blood was really planned or not.