What's the preferred video playback solution these days?

What's the preferred video playback solution these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.srsfckn.biz/
diff.pics/4DH0OL0WinEq/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Manually setting up MPC-HC with MadVR.

MPC-HC + madVR

inb4 the memepv defense force

>winbabbies

Ugnuu~

okay, how do I set it up for optimal anime viewing?

MPC-HC + MadVR + xysubfilter

CHALLENGE: produce an equally sharp mpv upscale to this MadVR upscale with as little noise and artifacting as this upscale, and post repeatable mpv settings for the upscale. MadVR settings for this are NGU AA medium image upscaling, and adaptive sharpen 1.0 + crispen edges 1.0 + anti-ringing filter under upscaling refinement. This image utilizes AMD denoising but you can use mpv's dn3dHQ for an equivalent effect. This challenge has been posted on Sup Forums many times and Sup Forums has failed every attempt at it.
Note: your subjective opinion of how nice this looks is irrelevant to this challenge. This is a technological experiment to see if mpv can produce an upscale this sharp without noise or artifacting. Refusing to attempt the challenge because of ambiguous buzzwords will be interpreted as an admission of defeat.

Source image with source video in filename.

Crunchyroll prime

mpv is the only right answer

VLC, because it's easy and any """upgrade""" is superficial and not worth the effort.
Anyone who disagrees is a massive faggot.

>no NGU
Into the trash it goes.

Vanilla MPC is just as easy, but no crashes, glitches or 'loading fonts'.

google chrome

weedplayer

Anybody use the normalize audio setting in MPC-HC?

No. It causes audio clipping. I have, though, used Izotope Ozone's very high quality brickwall limiter to "remaster" audio tracks on my archived anime to reduce their dynamic range; Ozone is very awesome at clipping peaks without audible distortion or pumping.

>No. It causes audio clipping.
I should elaborate: it causes (sometimes severe) audible audio distortion via clipping.

Windows Media Player.

CCCP people is for people who can't figure out how to use mpv, this is 100% fact.

mpv with hq settings unless you're autistic

Notepad.

>Not nano
get my my level

You joke, but this is slowly becoming true. I've seen a lot anons this year on Sup Forums that unironically stream.

You joke but chrome can play mkv files

i just read the subtitles, my imagination has the best resolution and toppest quality audio

Sup Forums is the cool anime place for normalfags since it's one click away from the other normalfag boards

yeah but i mostly use it for mp4

Went over to a buddy's house today. He's always been a streamfag. Showed him how to find high quality downloads with Hexchat. Opened up just an average 720p TV rip and he's like WHOA LOOK AT THAT QUALITY IT'S LIKE I'M WATCHING IT ON TV.
>streamfags

Works the same really

Example of this. Say I don't want that loud-ass noise at ~11:45 bursting my eardrums or startling me, but I don't want it to sound distorted or exhibit pumping like it would if I used your average brickwall limited.

Web browsers being treated as media players or operating systems is why they're so bloated

Opposed to ironically streaming?

>limited
Limiter. Anyways, I dial this in...

MPV >*

everything else is meme shit. Use these settings in mpv.conf:

scale=haasnsoft
cscale=ewa_lanczos
dscale=mitchell
deband=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-range=12
interpolation=yes
video-sync=display-resample
tscale=oversample
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

Literally nothing wrong with CCCP

My take on it was that it doesn't have to rely on the system media player to play embedded videos/music

..and I end up with this. None of the clipped peaks exhibit any audible distortion or pumping, not even the moment at ~11:45.
Ozone is also super great at dithering, as well as simply being a nice suite of tools for musicians looking to master their own music.

That's because it's just MPC-HC but with LAV filters as standalone instead of just built-in just so they can still call it a codec pack.

There is literally no reason to be using CCCP in this day and age

That looks like shit, I'll keep using cccp

(You)

Use mpv

>ironically streaming
That's horrible subs rips.

Real talk.

What's the quality of streaming anime these days? I remember when CS wasn't a business and it was just that faggot shinji and his friends, but the quality was fucking awful. Does streamed anime look similar to what we get off the HS rips? Or is it still
>streaming

VLC cause i'm not a pretentious faggot with an inferiority complex. Also I rather watch anime like is intended and not with a million custom settings.

is xysub filter better than vs filter?

Then don't use Sup Forumslc if you want to watch anime as intended

ya

Install mpv:
mpv.srsfckn.biz/

That's As has been pointed out several times, that came close but is not as sharp in the circled areas here. Try again.

The 3 look horrible, wtf are you guys doing to your anime, it looks like an oil paint.

>Refusing to attempt the challenge because of ambiguous buzzwords will be interpreted as an admission of defeat.

How? Does mpc have shitty look ahead? It really shouldn't clip at all.

kissanime.ru

MPV (patricians)

MPC-HC+madvr (commoners)

VLC (retards)

browser stream (garbage)

I use mpc-hc+madvr retard, put some glasses on and fix your setup

It depends. There's no noticeable difference between downloading HorribleSubs and watching a 720p stream. But it sure as hell is noticeable when you watch a BD rip.
Seriously, there's no point on downloading crunchy rips.

I unironically use KCP

>web browser scaler is same as scalers used by mpc-hc+madvr or mpv

k e k

I don't know how but I tested it immediately after posted and it rather immediately produced extremely audible clipping.
My best intepretation is to prevent clipping with it you need to know the exact percent you can boost the loudest moment in the audio track by without clipping in order to use it without clipping, and you'd need to extract the audio with MKVCleaver and open and inspect it in an audio editor to know that information. Obviously nobody's going to do this every time they watch a new episode, so this makes the normalize feature impractical.
Remastering audio of archived anime as shown by is the best way to reduce dynamic range without producing distortion or pumping, but is time-consuming.

Another drawback of that remastering method is if your archived anime has lossy audio, you'll need to save the remastered audio as storage space hungry FLAC to prevent audible lossy artifacts resulting from encoding the same audio twice with lossy codecs. Of course, if your source audio is FLAC then you can encode to Opus 192 kbps, which is rather uber.

Commies deserve to die

Everyone is a commie to ancaps, even nazis

I'm all for madvr and shit but look at that lineart. It looks like oil shit, like you nnedi it + fastsharpeningorwhatever(bloated value). You might want to tweak those sharpening setting.

Problem is that those settings look like garbage on a lot of anime and I don't want to change settings for every show.

Convert video to MP4 and use Windows Media Player

This

What is wrong with VLC?

Scales like shit.

Sup Forums likes it

Shit upscalling, historically plagued by bugs and retarded issues

I've been using CCCP basically since S1 Haruhi was running. I have yet to be given a meaningful argument why someone like me needs to "upgrade" when it still works just fine.

Scales like shit.
Scaling algorithms have improve a lot in the las few years thanks to 4k and better hardware.
Scalers like NGU and nnedi3 will scale 720p or 480p video with better quality than cccp.

*last few

What do you mean

But is not 2010 anymore.

>All this setup talk
I guess i will continue being a brainlet.

Also, from memory, ffdshow's normalizer clips in exactly the same way. It might actually be the same code.

LibreELEC.

oh no you dimma didnt

mpv vs vlc scaling:
diff.pics/4DH0OL0WinEq/1

they look exactly the same

(You)

MPC-HC out of the box works fine for everything these days. You don't even need MadVR.

Debanding and smooth motion are pretty critical features of MadVR, user, not to mention enhanced upscaling. Debanding is the big one, though.

Compare Komari's cheeks. Debanding is a big deal for anime, especially if you ever watch Horriblesubs.

mpv
MPC-HC (just MPC-HC, nothing else) if you want it to just werk and on Windows
mpv if you want it to just werk and you're on GNU/Linux, Windows or macOS
IINA (an mpv frontend) if you're on macOS and want some homo/pretty looking player
MPC-HC+madVR if you're retarded and Sup Forums

Anything else it's deprecated or abandoned

>tfw GPU isn't good enough to use NGU

MPC-HC + MadVR for those who want optimal picture quality.
mpv for those who want slightly inferior picture quality to MadVR, but who want to be pretentious and feel smarter than other people because they use software with text-only configuration.

What season and episode is that?
I know that I never see any banding with just MPC-HC and nothing else.

Still using KCP after like 6 years
still works just fine even though the guys behind it all died in 2016

I think is the other way around user

>oil painting filter
>optimal
madVR can't even get color right, you need to use some abomination with external and pretty limited 3dluts made with ArgyllCMS
Meanwhile mpv just werks and even fetches your profile from your OS CMS

It's not an innate problem, it happens when either the encoding was fucked up, if you went full retard with filters or if your monitor is bad.

I use mpv, mostly because it handles in frame multiple subs.

I don't remember the episode, but I remember that I screenshotted it from a Horriblesubs file, hence,
>especially if you ever watch Horriblesubs
It's a legitimate point because so many people here watch HS because their release speed is so convenient.

I use KCP for the sole reason that Daiz dislikes them.