Anyone else like the original dragon ball best?

anyone else like the original dragon ball best?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RHLzq1T98jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xxOcsw4yWZI
youtube.com/watch?v=DUEHnyAtp9I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a nice little story. I wouldn't mind if the Dragon Room released some more stories about stuff like that. The Legend of Muten Roshi or something. It'd be nice to go back to that kind of shonen manga.

I do, good taste OP.

Yamcha is the original cuck.

Yes, I too like to watch Dragon Ball AND MAKE SOME FRIENDS ALONG THE WAYYYYYY!

Dragon Ball was pretty much the perfect first anime. I feel so bad for people who didn't watch it before the second half of the series.

No, no one else likes the original dragon ball best. Everyone hates it and prefers GT. GT is the true pinnacle of Japanese animation. If you like the original DB you should probably kill yourself!

It's the only part of dragon ball that was actually good.

My favorite part of the original Dragon Ball is the fight against Vegeta.

I feel like everything was good up until the android arc, where toriyama had some trouble with the plot, then it was a rollercoaster of quality in the cell arc and went full retard in the buu arc.

I think that everything after the 23rd Budokai is pretty much perfect. I can hardly rank the last 2/3s of the series because I like it all so much.

The stuff I do like from the buu saga are my favorite moments in the series, but the stuff that wasn't good was total shit.

yea it was comfy watching goku effortlessly just fucking up nearly everyone

RIP Everyone :(

I feel like the Android arc and Cell arc both had a lot of really cool individual parts and ideas, but the way they were put together just didn't have the same oomf that other arcs did. Like, I actually really like Cell as a bad guy, for example, but the story surrounding him isn't as fun or cool as with previous villains.

I like the whole thing.

The original Dragon Ball by Akira Toriyama is perfect, yes.

The anime adaption was split into two shows: DB and DBZ.

I've always thought there was a bit of a disconnect between the parts before Cell absorbed 17 and the parts after. Toriyama is the master of ad hoc plot devices, but I think the Room of Spirit and Time was a little too ad hoc even for him. But the individual parts of the arc are so great, and the pace is so fast that it never feels like a drag, so it's easy for me to forgive its minor flaws.

I found the Time chamber unnecessary and way too Frodo. Should have replaced it with Super Saiyans and Super Namekians beating the living shit out of each other for the 10 days Cell gives them to train.
Also I fucking love Cell. Best villian.

Agreed. The Room of Spirit and Time is one of the lamer things from that arc.

Any of you guys like how Battle of Gods and Resurrection F followed the manga continuity rather than the anime continuity?

youtube.com/watch?v=RHLzq1T98jQ

I'm currently watching the original Dragonball at the moment, last episode I saw Goku reunited with Gohan, other than Pilaf and Blue sagas I've really enjoyed it. I like how there is more of an emphasis regarding humour as opposed to being serious 100% of the time like how Z was.

One thing I'm enjoying it is how everyone got their chance to shine, even minor characters had their golden moments, we had none of that in Z and it just resolved down to Goku or Goku and Vegeta doing everything.

Krillin's golden moment didn't happen until the Saiyan Saga.

>everyone got their chance to shine

That ended after the Attack of the Saiyans

Its Dragonball GT and Super separate continuities?

Tenshinhan's didn't happen until the Android Saga.

Was this Yamcha's moment? He never really had one.

Yes. GT is completely non canon side story while super at least has some involvement by Toriyama (after he got pissed off by the live action movie being awful).

And of course Yajirobe's moment

>Yamcha's moment

What was him fighting Suke and Mummy-kun? It's amazing how useful Yamcha was in Dragonball.

Toriyama came up with the Dragon Ball GT name, which stands for "Grand Touring" in reference to the series having the characters travel through the universe, and designed the appearances of the main cast. Toriyama himself referred to GT as a "side story of the original Dragon Ball".

Dragon Ball Super is his proper continuation of his Dragon Ball story.

>Yamcha's moment

Really the side characters don't start doing things until after Goku dies

I just miss when Goku had a sense of morals, prioritized his friends well being and any idiocy could be excused as naivete

So many minor characters have their moments after Raditz

I can keep going

Keep going to end the "Dragon Ball is better than Z" memes from Americans as if they aren't the same story

They may be on paper but they are very different. You may as well call them the first half of dragon ball vs the second half.

>not the part where he almost kills Nappa

Before Piccolo and after Piccolo?

That really started with Super.

His fight with Cymbal was more defining. I always saw him as a potential third wheel to Goku's leading role, Krillin's little guy and him being the big guy of the trio. They even wear the same color.

Potential wasted, he's easily my favorite Dragon Ball character.

Krillin had several moments, but the Scatter Shot was my favorite.

Most people remember the glorious Kienzans against Freeza. He really got to shine before the Androids happened and everyone but Goku/Gohan/Vegeta got shafted.

I remember when a guy named MofoGoku was translating the DB - Kanzenban for a perfect edition of the manga and gave up when BakaBT chose to use Viz's version instead

I love this one too.

>His fight with Cymbal was more defining.
Cymbal fight was cool (really one of the very few pre_Z villains not beaten by Goku), but Vegeta fight was awesome.

>Like hell I'm gonna go there
He goes.
>Okay, I'm here, but I'm not fighting.
Attacks Oozaru form Vegeta
>O-okay, guys, but from here you're on your own.
Saves Gohan once more from attacking Vegeta.

Great stuff.

this is why Gohan x Vegeta is a ship

Everyone with a brain.

Piccolo was practically the main character for the start of the Android Saga.

Remember that one episode where he fights Gohan after Bulma tells everyone that Goku shared the same fate as the planet Freeza destroyed?

I do too. It all went downhill for me when he introduced the saiyan thing

It was more consistent with the quality and some of the best animated fights in the franchise. Tao Pai Pai and Piccolo Jr. were my faves:

youtube.com/watch?v=xxOcsw4yWZI

That's what redeemed it in my eyes too. And he tried very fucking hard in his fights, I think he'd have destroyed 17 with that big explosion he used on Cell if he had the time.

After all these years Goku is still fightan people and lifting and all that shit. It's heartwarming, in a way.

The Cymbal was a good part of his introduction, but it doesn't compare to the Vegeta fight. Yajirobe is like a foil to every other fighter.

That fucking page
>Vegeta sensing something and turning like he's a criminal on the run
>that dynamic as fuck panel
>Yajirobe's determined face
>Vegeta shitting himself

This is gold

I guess this qualifies as Kaioshin's moment since it's the only time he did something that actually worked how he wanted.

Original dragon ball is the only good one. If you think that Z or Super are great you should fuck off to hispachan

Yes? Most of Z is irredeemable save for Buu because it loops back to being completely silly again.

I love this thread so far.

This guy is easily the most interesting and least remembered of all minor characters. Too bad he only survived 4 pages.

He wasn't all that scrub, actually lasted kinda long against Buu.
I hate how they made him job to Babidi in DBS though. Buu did most of the work but still.

Hm. Kind of. I think the Red Ribbon arc before TaoPaiPai is the weakest in the entire series (and the Baba tournament is pretty boring too before the final matches), but otherwise I really enjoy everything else.

Sure the Earthlings didn't fight in the Android Saga, but they still contributed. This is one of my favorite scenes.

They kinda tried but the setting was way too fight-oriented for them to matter, unlike Namek.

The closest we got to that was your picture, Tenshinhan stalling and Tenshinhan looking for Cell with Piccolo (to no avail).
I guess Tenshinhan did okay but Yamcha and Krillin got the short end of the stick.

Krillin killed Cell though

Yeah i like adventure best

Dragonball > dragonball z

Future Trunks' epilogue chapters were probably the most satisfying ending to a story I've ever read.

Say hello to your doom, Cell!

youtube.com/watch?v=DUEHnyAtp9I

I could never get into DBZ but I really liked the original series. No powerlevel bullshit and universe shattering god battles just lighthearted adventure and fun.

true patricians do OP

Gotenks is the best

Clearly the most interesting bit of the Buu arc.

Buu is more or less DB's tone with Z's powerlevels.

Chiaotzu's greatest achievement was probably appearing on a color page.

>DB's tone

Hey guys, Dragon Ball was never actually good. Character development was non existent, plot was all over the place and so stale. The villains were all one dimensional garbage.

Give me one reason Dragonball is good (not just the first night part, but all of it)

Oh gee I don't know.

Maybe it's the art and the fights? And the hype moments written for preteen boys?

BP and AP

There's plenty of character development too but that's secondary to the important stuff.

You mean this fight between two characters who have literally never met beforehand and have no emotional depth? You mean the fight that ends in the biggest bullshit asspull power up in history?

>Character development was non existent
Actually, there was some. Subtle, but it's there, in bits of dialogue and little things, since Toriyama can convey a lot with very little.

>plot was all over the place and so stale
Meh, it's fightan shonen standard plot, you don't need much more. More plot made Namek better I guess but before that Dragon Ball was mostly about comedy, fighting and simply fun.

>villains
same

What made Dragon Ball good? Toriyama. His execution is almost flawless, most of the time. He knows what to do.

Why are you watching a battle shounen for emotional depth?

>emotional depth
Did you just take buzzword 101? There's a lot to Freeza that makes him a nemesis for Goku. The whole Saiyan arc builds up to that.

>asspull power up
Try to understand the words before you use them. If it's been foreshadowed for an entire arc, it's not an asspull.

You people are really defending "Super Saiyan"?

There's nothing wrong with it. Outside of how it's been handled in the following arcs.