>Liberal """translations"""
Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=M4lXthHJUw4&t
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Drfters has the worst scanlation I've seen in a while
It's a shame

What the fuck is this shit, Niggersteam's worst is flawless compared to this.

The worst part is that they refuse to change it, despite many, many people telling them that they do not want the fucked-up chav translations. It is extraordinarily likely that the translator is from some chav place, or they wouldn't know enough about the 'dialect' to write it like that; which is why they refuse to give it up - he does not know any alternative accent/dialect.

You know you fucked up when even the fans who are supposed to be buying it are unhappy

Do you actually mean "buying", or do you just mean accepting? Because these aren't official translations, if that's what you were thinking.

Believe me, they don't know anything about how chavs speak, if that's even what this is.

What the fuck is this? "Dearf"? "Yaahr"? Trying to figure out any fucking dialect at all where this fits. Almost certainly some guy who knows nothing about dialect speech, probably of any kind, trying to make it up as he goes.

Make better one yourself instead of complaining!

The guy who's responsible for it being written that way explained it in very direct and specific terms, saying something like: "we modeled it after the speech patterns of ____-type people of the ____ region of England" - something to that effect, at any rate. I would have to find the chapter where they made the change in order to tell you exactly what it says, which I'm not really willing to do.

Anyway: they are deliberate in systemically writing Toyohisa's speech like that, whether it's a real dialect or not. Please, call them out on it and communicate to them that it isn't desired or desirable, if you would. I've already done it, myself.

Found what I was thinking about. According to them, this is a legitimate manner of speech.

But, this makes sense. I'm sure you'd hate watching an english show dubbed where London chavs, Yanks and Texans speak the same language.

They do speak the same language. They all use the same general words. The sound of the reading of a word is determined by the reader rather than the author, so the slang shit just makes it more difficult to understand - not to read, to understand. We can all see the letters of the written text "dearf" equally, but we will not know what word those letters are meant to signify unless we reverse the process.

If one were to simply write something like "Toyohisa uses a thick, sometimes incomprehensible accent" on a TN page, readers would interpret straight English text given as his dialogue as being accented. I haven't hung out in East London to listen to accents, so I have no fucking idea what this is supposed to sound/read like nor why I'm being expected to decipher almost texting-level written slang.

FER GORK 'AN MORK!

Aflong aflongkong?

I think you mean "incredibly unlikely". It reads like a parody of a pirate accent.

>East London
So this then.
youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ

Means essentially the same thing. One implies likelihood and the other implies surprise. I was getting at the latter.

>essentially the same thing
It means literally the exact opposite; that's what the prefix "un-" does.

there are plenty tv-only accent that actually different with real life accent. TV-Southern being the major offender as real southern accent is very diverse and different.

Regarding of english accent, a sample of chav accent,
youtube.com/watch?v=M4lXthHJUw4&t

Ya dum humies ain't seen nuffin yet.

I thought you were talking about my choice of adverb. No, I did mean that. I'm not particularly familiar with the ins and outs of every square foot of Britain, so I don't always cognize the differences found among its regional and cultural accents - I'm saying that I assume the translator is from wherever the accented text would be spoken, or he would not have used that specific accent. Hence "likely".

Is this the continuation of the last scanlation shitposting thread?

You know, that character makes me think of Nardwuar in some way, but I can't quite place it. I think it might just be the energy and hat.

There's no real excuse for the example OP has shown. You can present the East London accent in a manner that isn't utterly retarded and difficult to read.

I'm sure most people internationally understand Michael Caine, for example, given that they're a country that speaks english or is familiar with the language.

That's exactly what I was saying. So, yes.

It's an endless source of frustration to brits consuming American media (particularly American localizations): most brits are familiar with dozens of British accents at least to the point where they can say "this person doesn't speak that and isn't familiar with it and got X wrong in this line" (or to put it another way, "to the point where they can tell a comedy accent from the real thing"), but the American dialogue writers don't really care about getting the accents right, so long as they sound britishy enough.

Which leads to a bunch of dialogue where someone's speaking in a comedy accent and the British reader has to determine whether it's supposed to be a comedy accent or it's just that the dialogue guy did a shitty job.

>most brits are familiar with dozens of British accents at least to the point where they can say "this person doesn't speak that and isn't familiar with it and got X wrong in this line"
Yes, of course - but this doesn't apply to written phonetic nonsense, right? It's only television dialogue, like Daphne and her brothers from Frasier having fucked-up or misplaced accents. You can't actually tell if someone is writing a specific pronunciation, can you? That's the primary problem here.

If we didn't have that page where they explain that he's supposed to be British, we'd have significantly freer license to interpret how to hear the text. I'm from the west coast of the United States, and I can tell you that, in theory, Toyohisa's dialogue could be read as having been spoken by someone from even a place as distant from London as Montreal.

But I do understand that you're saying that the dialogue writer did a poor job, whether he's from [wherever] in London or not.

AND ANOTHER THING.

Japan thinks they have accents, but they don't. What they have is dialects with almost identical pronunciation, a smattering of dialectic vocabulary, and a different (but still regular) way of conjugating their verbs.

They've got nothing equivalent to the differences between ABE, AAVE, RP, Scots, Indian, South African and Australian, LET ALONE the actual non-Englishes like Singlish, Jamaican, etc. etc.

There is not a single Japanese dialect with so much as simple vowel migration (e.g. Australian vs British), yet we're supposed to believe someone from the country is incomprehensible because he uses だべ instead of です.

>yet we're supposed to believe someone from the country is incomprehensible
Then you clearly don't know as much about jap dialect as you think.
>because he uses だべ instead of です
Jap dialect is more than just that.

No it's not.

It's literally just "some vocabulary" plus "the verbs are conjugated differently".

>Japan thinks they have accents, but they don't. What they have is dialects with almost identical pronunciation ...
They do have accents; you're just incredibly unlikely to read about them in comparison to something very blatant like Tokyo grammar vs Satsuma grammar. This is, in part, because it can't be written - or, rather, that they're unwilling to write it because writing it would mean deliberately 'misspelling' things like you see in these phonetic English rewrites

Have you ever heard a nasal Texan accent juxtaposed against a Southern Californian accent? That's the sort of difference that can be apparent in Japanese accents. The foremost trait that you're likely to hear in a Tokyo accent and not in many others is a tendency to affix an almost "French 'n'" to certain vowels by using a raised palate. They also tend to make terminal vowels extremely short. The most obvious example I can think of is the word "higashi", meaning "east". Someone in Tokyo might say "heen-gah-shh". Someone anywhere else in Japan might say "hee-gah-shih". A formal teacher will say "hee-gah-shee".

Not him, but the differences are huge. Someone from Tokyo might not even be able to understand someone from Okinawa or someone speaking Akiba-ben. I actually live in Tokyo and talk to Japanese people about this, so let's skip the armchair expertise stuff.

Did the japanese and some translator confuse "Accent" with "Dialect".
One is mostly pronunciation and some word choices differences and the other verb and grammar differences.

>I actually live in Tokyo and talk to Japanese people about this, so let's skip the armchair expertise stuff
Then, would you agree with what I said about the Tokyo accent and "higashi" and whatnot? It's been a while since I was last in Japan, but I'm still fairly sure I'm right.

You may have difficulty understanding different accent due to difference pronounciation
buy you could not understand different dialect due to unique/different verbs and grammar variation.

Why would they even bother doing fucking sfx with fucking dust everywhere

I think that different dialect not accent.

I remember SlamDunk mangaka state "feel free to translate it but don't fuck with the sfx."
And then we have local release will all of untranslated sfx.

I'm not seeing the problem here.

The SFX are part of the art, and it takes a week tops to learn how to read them.

Which post are you talking about? It got tl;dr and I didn't read them all.

What the hell is the TL even doing? Do they not know the difference? Are they just inventing accents or something?

This text:
>The foremost trait that you're likely to hear in a Tokyo accent and not in many others is a tendency to affix an almost "French 'n'" to certain vowels by using a raised palate. They also tend to make terminal vowels extremely short. The most obvious example I can think of is the word "higashi", meaning "east". Someone in Tokyo might say "heen-gah-shh". Someone anywhere else in Japan might say "hee-gah-shih". A formal teacher will say "hee-gah-shee".
I'm thinking of the 'news' accent, of course, if you know what I mean. I can't remember the word for what it's officially called, but it's the 'standardized' one which all newscasters speak, so that you don't end up being unable to understand the news because some madman is spewing words like しゃあねえ and -はる or whatever else.

Yeah, Tokyo people almost never pronounce the last vowel for shi and su. Hell, I don't do it either. Don't know about newscasters, as I don't watch the news.

I think it's the opposite. This is not how a chav speaks, this is how someone who has never spoken to a chav before thinks a chav speaks.

>mixing in as much East London sland as we could
That's what I thought, it's not that they've heard or god forbid spoken to an East Londoner before, but rather they looked up some chart online of all the East London slang, and wordfiltered every single thing that could be replaced by a "slang", resulting in this inhuman, nearly-illegible gutterspeak.

Please tell them your opinions about it. If more people don't, they will keep doing this.

All scanlation groups have brain damage, if you complain they are gonna want to do it even more, they are like little kids.

Not true. It's entirely possible that they'll take the suggestion if enough people complain.