Fullmetal Alchemist

Let's settle this once and for all:

strawpoll.me/13256666

Justify your choice ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0
youtube.com/watch?v=DRVrwJeZlHs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Brotherhood. Better animation for most of the show, and once it gets out of the rushed first act is much stronger then the bizarre crap 2003 went with, and a better villain.

2003, for purely personal reasons.

I am a pretentious homosexual who is less than the age of 25 and almost certainly a normalfag which is why I think 2003 is better.

2003 - for adults

Brotherhood - for kids

You mean 2003 for chunnishitters.

I've already read the manga and only watched 20 episodes of 2003 a decade ago so the answer is obvious. It's also the first anime I watched online and I remember loving the way the beginning was handled, the mood is great.

2003 because I want to fuck Dante

Where is the manga option?

2003, Brotherhood is just too lighthearted at the end of the day.

Even Bones thinks 2003 was a mistake.

You can always read the manga, I guess.

>[citation needed]

Nah.
I meant what I said.
Adults.

*drops mic*

I prefer the manga villain, donte the OC villain bodyjacker isnt my thing, neither is the "alchemy is powered by the dead from our world wars"

>alchemy powered by dead niggers
Is this better?

Or
>alchemy powered by underground movement

Brotherhood, because I have a modicum of understanding of how narrative fiction is meant to work.

Yeah, 2003 for those with advance understanding of narrative.

2003 is pretentious garbage without substance, the plot went to shit when they stopped following the manga.
Brotherhood is a battle shounen with good writing and characters. I prefer the manga though.

2003 becaues I'm a contrarian faggot

2003 did some things right, but Brotherhood was better overall.

However, the fact that alchemy was powered by the souls of jews the Nazis killed was just priceless. That alone is enough to make you want to watch the movie at least once.

Brotherhoods story was far more coherent and satisfying imo.

2003 had better opening songs.

But 03 took place before the Holocaust.

Did it? I seem to remember the movie had Nazis on the other side of the gate, or was it WWI Germany instead?

I liked 2003 more because it didn't feel so Shounen.

Riza best girl

Anyway Im just gonna say you cant use "better animation" as a reason to like a newer anime over an old one
Because animation MUST be better

It was WW1, then the movies come out and Bradley is a Jew and Rose is a filthy gypsy.

Whichever had more flaws is obviously the inferior adaption and 2003 had a lot more flaws than Brotherhood where the characters are concerned. And about everything else.

>alchemy powered by dead niggers
they alchemy circle gas chamber was only done once user... every other alchemy was powered by WWII in our dimension

Not really if it also has more achievements which I think is the case with 2003. It may have its flaw but when it comes down to direction, soundtrack, pacing and characters 2003 did it better, being also less cliché and childish.

Brotherhood is highly re-watchable, in comparison, 2003 is a slog after the first time through. I also think Brotherhood is the better show overall, but the aforementioned is the deciding factor.

There are people over the age of 25 who like the generic shounenshit that is Brotherhood?

>*drops mic*
Thanks for proving his point

If only.
Anyways, 2003 had no emotional impact.
Now you're just trolling.
>t. nostalgiafag

lmao

Brotherhood. There is genuinely no argument to be had. People on here will be contrarian just for the sake of feeling special though or to get replies.

>People on here will be contrarian just for the sake of feeling special though or to get replies.
Well, the question is "if you could WATCH only one". I'd read the manga and watch 03 because Brotherhood is a more faithful adaptation.

>2003 had no emotional impact.
Now you're just trolling.

>Anyways, 2003 had no emotional impact.
>Now you're just trolling.
Brotherhood is the one with lack of emotional impact, not only the direction portraits emotional scenes poorly most of the time but it also has less impactful moments because of its lightheadedness.
For example, Hughes' death is pretty forgettable in BH, you barely know the guy and while we know about his relationship with Mustang we didn't get to know him well. 2003 made a big deal of his death, he was a recurring character and a close friend to Ed and Al and when he dies the emptiness he left caries on for the whole series and affects almost all the characters in some way, not only Mustang.
Another example is the scene where the Elrics performed human transmutation, 2003 have meaningful camera angles that gives a clear idea of what is going on and a sense of awe before turning it into a horrific situation, BH made it dull, overemphasizing the horror aspect right away.

2003 had its moments, but the general flow of the series was a mess since it tried to integrate parts of the manga in to a series well past any of those plotpoints. I'm also pissed about the Nazis. Just go throw any sense of subtlety and symbolism out the door and make them literal Nazis, what could go wrong? Everything, that's what. Fuck that ending.

>any sense of subtlety
They already called Bradley a führer. What subtlety was left?

Kill youareself

that's me but i still prefer 2009 since it uses the actual plot. 2003 definitely did the earlier parts of the story better than 2009 though, which is annoying since its existence led 2009 to rush and axe certain scenes and jumble up any chance of a cohesive experience of the actual plot

BROTHERHOOD:
>shonenbabbies

2003:
>starts as shonenbabby
>becomes patrician after it deviates from the manga, this is including the movies.

Literally cannot be proven wrong.

Conqueror of Shambala took place between WWI and WWII, so the 2003 series took place probably at the tail end of the first World War (when Edward went there)..

Matter of fact, CoS timeline was right at the point where Hitler tried to usurp control from the ruling party the first time via a coup de'tat, but failed and got sent to Prison.

Now don't get me wrong, when the Holocaust did occur in our world, the alchemy in Edward's world would have gotten a REAL big boost in strength. But the series itself takes place before that.

Which is one of the reasons why I kinda don't like the ending to the 2003 series. Our world being connected to Edward's world is just weird and does not make a lot of sense.

Conqueror of Ay Caramba

Brotherhood. It had better animation and followed the manga ending which was much better, so it all came to a satisfying conclusion. I'm a sucker for the "everyone comes together for the final battle" thing.

The series in general was very, very good. Not too long and interspersed with huge arcs. It had a story to tell from beginning to end, and it succeeded in it.

Brotherhood really dropped the ball with Bradley
>"Hey gang let's show this guy is a bad guy in the first 20 minutes"
Idiots.Made the scene whre he kills the snake lady totally pointless for the audience

>when the Holocaust did occur in our world, the alchemy in Edward's world would have gotten a REAL big boost in strength

So never?

Didn't Brotherhood use the Naruto voice for the main character?

I'm guessing the answer is no to whatever question you're trying to ask.

>only 20% for the original
Wow

The woman who voices Temari.

Brotherhoods story is more consistent and simply better. It also has an actual conclusion and not a shitty movie. It also had less pointless fillers.

That being said it is built up on 2003's groundwork and you should watch 2003 before Brotherhood anyway.

People who genuinely believe 2003 is better are just nostalgiafags who can't accept the truth.

>Hughes' death is pretty forgettable in BH, you barely know the guy and while we know about his relationship with Mustang we didn't get to know him well.
Doesn't really matter. Viewers who went straight to Brotherhood still felt really bad at Hughes death. If you're 2003fag like yourself, obviously it's far beyond what brotherhood and the manga did but to stay it didn't hold the same impact is complete bs.

> to stay it didn't hold the same impact
It didn't. I was unamused when he died in BH, instead his deat in 2003 almost teared me apart, there was a huge build up to that moment, and as I said, it echoes through the rest of the series. I completely forget about BH's Hughes after a few episodes, he was only important to Mustang and his group, people being pussies and crying for any death doesn't mean it was impactful at all, just like almost every death in BH, even Greed's dead was tarnished by how cliche was his development.

Just don't watch the first episode.

Why they made it if you aren't supossed to watch it?

I've only seen brotherhood. I always assumed that it was worse, because it didn't follow the manga, until I jumped into the Hellsing series and OVA without knowing what either one was and realized that I liked the series more. Should I bother with the 2003 version?

Original. Brotherhood turned FMA into a fucking shounen.

I say yes. 2003 has a lot going for it. While it has less characters than brotherhood, I thought the characters were better developed in 2003, especially the homunculi. I thought the later half where the story deviates from the manga was pretty good too.

>a better villain
>hurr durr i want to eat a guy in the sky
Nah, a human seeking immortality is a better villain, solely because I cam understand them.

They are both shounen.
Brotherhood: shounen for kids.
Original: shounen for adults.

No difference between that and a homonuculs seeking transcendence.

2003=Seinen
Brotherhood=Shonen

I like both for different reasons. Though i'd say Brotherhood had a better ending.

I much preferred Brotherhood's story and characters felt a bit more structured I guess
2003 had some fucking GOAT tier music though
youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0
youtube.com/watch?v=DRVrwJeZlHs

>Sucker for everyone comes together for the final battle

Pleb.

>There is genuinely no argument to be had

I can get everything Brotherhood offers but better by watching DBZ.

>shounen for adults
that's not how it works

So if they called Father a human instead of a homunculus, you would like Brotherhood more?
Seeking immortality and seeking godhood are very similar in that they involve casting off the limiting shackles of humanity and rising above our place in the world.

Dante's fear of mortality was just inherently more human than some godlike immortal being who wanted to become even more godlike.

He started off weaker than even humans, feeling powerless was his whole motivation if I remember.

Yeah, if his god like power was in fact limited and he only had it or was even human..ish so long as he stayed in that one place under the city...
Yeah.
Would be all poetic and shit.
That little humunculous who would do anything to get out of that bottle and being free gaining ultimate god like power. But is in fact damned to live eternally in another bottle.

Him trying to gain that ultimate power is his attempt at becoming truly free and gaining his own true personhood. To not fear being devoured by the gate and even becoming it's master.

2003 was mostly character drama. The primary appeal of Brotherhood is that it had more fights.

I haven't seen 2003, but Brotherhood was one of the most boring anime I have ever seen, so I'll pick 2003

>He started off weaker than even humans

Which was centuries after we even see him, after which he was about as human as Sauron from the Lord of the Rings and spent about as much time literally sitting on his throne as the average dark lord.

>Furor is beaten by Mustang after his "son" very conveniently just happens to bring his one weakness into the fucking room at random during their fight

Brotherhood
>Furor goes out like a fucking boss taking on half the fucking military and killing two badasses on his way out before dying with a peaceful fucking smile on his face

Gee wonder which was better....

I'm not pretentious. I'm a heterosexual. I'm 27 years old and have watched more anime than you.
2003 was better

Bad character drama, grimderp shit that took it self waaaay too seriously considering it's live journal fanfic tier writing.

>posting opinions is bait

Okay then

It's not an opinion if you haven't seen the show. It's an assumption

>fanfic tier
>muh canon

Brotherhood is generic battle shounen that gets far more credit than other generic battle shounen, with better fights, for being faithful to the source material. 2003 provided a solid coming of age story.

I like them both equally but for different reasons.

Recently watched both to make a Mastercut combining both shows. Personally, I find Brotherhood to be the better series.

2003 would have superior character development but Brotherhood had much better story structure overall.

I have seen Brotherhood, it was terrible. I have no idea how good 2003 is, but there's a chance I will like it, as opposed to Brotherhood which I know I hate. Thus, if I can only keep one, I'll obviously pick 2003. Use some logic.

2003 was better to you because it was what you saw first, the story does not hold up well at all when put to scrutiny, sorry. Meanwhile Brotherhood while not perfect is still based on one of the best Shonen ever made, that avoided many of thew tropes associated with fightin shonen.

>MC isn't a functional retard and is actually intelligent and often outwits his enemies

>Female characters aren't completely fucking useless

>MC doesn't get 50 different power ups while his allies go from being competent fighters to glorified jobbers who's only real use is to get their asses kicked or killed to anger the MC enough for his next power up

> they actually get a lot of development for the most part and got their times to shine, was even very useful in the final battle

>furthermore the MC isn't even the most powerful character in the story and doesn't manage to punch out God until the very end just before losing said powers

>even then all the supporting characters helped in greatly weakening said God so it was more of a team effort

>it actually knew when to fucking end

Anyone saying that the fuel for 2003 alchemy being powered by Nazis was dumb doesn't deserve to have an opinion because it wasn't powered by fucking Nazis, and you clearly don't have a proper opinion of the show because you barely remember what the hell happened.

>I rolled a 2 on a D20, there is no way I can roll lower next time.

I liked 2003 because the characters were more imperfect, i.e., they acted more like real people. It also treated the idea of equivalent exchange better. That is to say, it actually respected the idea.

2003 edgefags on suicide watch

Except it wasn't in any way "generic battle shonen" you just didn't like it because Rose didn't get raped because "rape makes you deep" or Lust didn't recite an Emo sounding poem after killing a guy. Also no "lol i'm your long lost brother" shit or Disney tier villain who's whole deal is "muh eternal youth" and gets offed by fucking Gluttony.

Or the fact that it pretty much misses the entire point of "one is all and all is one" which is like the backbone of the whole fucking story.
>can't bring the dead back, except when you bring the fucking dead back by performing transmutations lol

Also GERMANY and proto Nazis. They needed Nazis because the Amestrian military campaign against the Ishvalans wasn't on the nose enough!

Also a homuculous who's throws tantrums and cries for his mom, his name is WRATH! or the one called Sloth that has water based powers

Gee it almost sounds a bit silly don't it?

Like when Rose got raped and becomes a figurehead of a resistance because she got raped...yeah makes sense and seems legit

>So if they called Father a human instead of a homunculus, you would like Brotherhood more?

If Father's reasoning for becoming a god was expanded more he would have been better than Dante. We only ever get a single ounce of real emotion behind his reasoning to become a god, once he's defeated and dragged back into the gate. Before that he was almost just a completely generic asswipe scheming for power. After he got his body, there was almost no reason for him to keep going.

FMA 2003 started out good but then went full on retard after Greed's death and pretty much shows that when it comes to BONES, the show should always be broken into Seasons so the manga can catch up. This way we avoid shit like Courage Punch and lol GERMANY endings

wait, did the power come from only the jews? not the other 50 million people that died?