Koe no Katachi is a masterclass subtle Fellini-esque depiction of a generation unable to cope with sin and guilt with...

Koe no Katachi is a masterclass subtle Fellini-esque depiction of a generation unable to cope with sin and guilt with some of the most brilliant sound design in film.

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
twitter.com/shinkaimakoto/status/870484765358514176
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thank you for your valuable opinion.

Koe no Katachi is clearly very Xavier Dolan-esque.

Joe no Nakadashi is a very good anime

Koe no Katachi is generic shit, only further cemented as shit by the fact it has a love triangle in it for no reason at all.

>tfw no gf like shouko

Black haired bitch should have died.

>Fellini-esque depiction

Best kyoanus girl coming through.

Keit-Ai is better because it made more money.

>Fellini-esque
Man, this triggers me so much OP. You don't even know.

being loved by multiple people is unrelatable to you huh

I havent watched the movie yet
Did they animate the entire manga or just half?

Fuck off with this shit

Take it somewhere else

I seriously hope no one on Sup Forums actually seeks out "love" from 3DPD.

If you want to shitpost, take it elsewhere. I'm posting manga pages.

This thread has nothing to do with your doujin. Fuck off.

It was really good, the emotional content felt genuine, which is rare for an anime production, unless you're ghibli.

Idk anything about Fellini tho.

It's not a doujin, it's the actual manga, maybe consider reading it if you're talking about the movie for it.

My captcha has been asking for apartments and bridges.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 14 weeks, 13 weekends
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>The film immediately topped Korea's box office opening on 555 screens all around the country which is a new record for the Japanese film.
>Also dominated China breaking the all-time records for the most advance tickets sold and the fastest film to reach 100 million yuan ($ 14 million or 1.7 billion yen), with the first 100 yuan earned in just the film's opening day.
>The film also dominated the charts of Hong Kong and Taiwan becoming the number 2 and top highest grossing Japanese film on the respective countries
>Inexplicably jumps 41% in the Japanese box office and climbs from 7th place to 3rd place in one week
>Still in the top 10 in the Japanese box office towards the beginning of 2017
>Now grossed US$353.3 million.
>Surpasses the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million), making it the highest grossing anime film of all time.
>Is approved by Shinzo Abe and used by Cool Japan to spur tourism in Japan.

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

lol woah

Hey its a great film so yeah

>Transformers made more money than Citizen Kane, therefore it's the better movie.

Fuck off with your retarded logic.

Isn't this based on a story someone wrote on Sup Forums a while back?

I love Keit-ai because even though KyoAni had its most financially successful film, it got BTFO in terms of the highest grossing film of 2016 by what happens to also be the highest grossing film of all time.

MANGA IS BETTER
A
N
G
A

I
S

B
E
T
T
E
R

Jesus Christ. I didn't realize it made so much money in the US.

That fucking meteor, man. Brutal.

It didn't. Most of it is from Japan and China. Its gross of $330 million only went up to $353 million when it finally opened in North America. It's practically a flop in the west.

*highest grossing anime film

Who the fuck is Fellini?

me

:'(

Just a third. Feels quite incomplete

>lol
>:'(

Sup Forums is really shit with newfags now.

Definitely not, the manga was clumsy and dragged out.

>using ancient Internet language is newfaggotry
You should stop trying to fit in

I unironically agree. Probably the most subtle, emotionally honest film I've ever seen.
Not even talking anime films, I mean ALL of film.

>anime secondaries

Just watched this, really wish I hadn't. The first 3/4 of it was great, but the final 1/4 was garbage. Why? Because the narrative treated Nishimiya apologizing to everyone FOR LITERALLY NOTHING EXCEPT BEING A DEAF PERSON WHO HAPPENS TO EXIST as a good thing, as if she should apologize for something she can't control.

Literally what the fuck, Japan? The hell is wrong with you? She's the one who should be getting the apologies for everyone else being a giant cunt to her, not the other way around. That is complete bullshit if I've ever seen it.

I do not recommend this movie. The message it sends is fucking cancerous. It excuses bullying and tells deaf people to apologize for their existence. That's fucking retarded. Not to mention how the mother of Ishida threatened to burn his money and called him ungrateful for attempting suicide.

>pretending the manga is good now

I was hoping it wasn't implying that, but thinking back on it you're right, user. It's plainly stating she should feel bad for her disability. I know Japan can't into mental or physical disorders/impairments/etc. but that's flat out illogical no matter how you look at it. At least the visuals were nice.

>treated Nishimiya apologizing to everyone FOR LITERALLY NOTHING EXCEPT BEING A DEAF PERSON WHO HAPPENS TO EXIST as a good thing, as if she should apologize for something she can't control.
that's japan for you

recognizing how people react is not the same a saying "this is how is ought to be". The film shows the first, is not saying nishimiya had to feel sorry for it

I don't mean to sound like a tumblrina or anything but even I, NEET scum, have a limit to how much bullshit I can take. This goes beyond any sort of politics and is just straight up retarded. Why the fuck must Japan be this way? I know their shame culture is strong but surely one of these chucklefucks would stop to think "Hey, it's not her fault she's deaf. Why is she apologizing for getting bullied?" Double the triggering from my end when I realized the beginning almost made it sound like it'd teach the audience the lesson of never apologizing for something you can't control, what with Nishimiya being called out for apologizing whenever something bad happens to her. But nope, they implied that's exactly what someone should do because muh feelings.

It's effectively the same as "if you kill your enemies, they win" or getting hit by a car and apologizing to the driver for denting their chassis and everyone else agreeing that it's your fault and apologizing was a good thing to do.

But it portrayed her apologizing in a positive light, in a way that encouraged it, not discouraged it. If they would have had one character stopping her and saying she shouldn't apologize, then it would have been good. But the other characters encouraged it, and thus the narrative did too. (That isn't to say characters encouraging something means the narrative does, but that's the vibe I was getting the entire time, and I've seen others say it too.)

Even as somebody who enjoyed the movie overall, what bothered me was how Nishimiyas suicide attempt felt glorified to me.
It is only after this that all the people who've mistreated her over the years (With the initial exeption of Ueno) realize: Hey, maybe bullying somebody to the extend of them wanting to die isn't all that cool. Only Ueno actually holds her responsible (Selfishly so, admittedly) for her actions; and considering she was among the main perpetrators, it seems ironic in the way that the only person taking this course of action really doesn't have any right to do so.
For the most part however, her suicide attempt seems to solve the bullying problem for good, which doesn't seem like a wholesome moral to take away from the story, in my opinion.

Ishidas suicide attempt early on is handled much better in my opinion, as it actually highlights the negative aspects and gives him a bad conscience; whereas Nishimiyas has overall positive consequences and gives other people a bad conscience for the most part.
The thing she mostly feels bad about (Rightly so), is that she almost killed Ishida; not so much the emotional burden that she would've put on everybody else.

>But it portrayed her apologizing in a positive light, in a way that encouraged it, not discouraged it. If they would have had one character stopping her and saying she shouldn't apologize, then it would have been good.
that is literally ueno. She always punches nishimiya for always saying sorry as a clutch

The message of the film was that you can't just sit back and expect things to work out by itself. Ishida needed just as much help as Shouko did and nobody helped him, which is what Shouko was apologizing for.

Honestly if this looked a bit more sharper like Hyouka quality I'd put this over Hyouka and I loooooooooooove Hyouka but still one of the best things I've ever watched.

I wish I saw it in the theater so I could see how others reacted to that sad as fuck 20 opening minutes.

She was apologizing because her suicide attempt nearly killed Ishida, and she knew that his circle of friends didn't like her. Realistically, she was aware that his friends would not feel sorry for her because of her suicide attempt.

Also, I'll add that she was always like that, she apologized to Ishida even after all the terrible things she did to him, because she was so sad her whole life and she hated herself, and was so desperate for just one friend that she's willing to overlook any abuse if it will mean someone will befriend her. Sad, but that's the story.

I would stick my dick in every girl, especially Bueno and Yuzu

>she did to him
He did to her.

>Literally what the fuck, Japan? The hell is wrong with you? She's the one who should be getting the apologies for everyone else being a giant cunt to her, not the other way around. That is complete bullshit if I've ever seen it.
THANK YOU

So let me see if I understand: she was humiliated and injured at school, humiliated and injured in the street, to the point of thinking she was a burden and thus wanting to kill herself, but no one had to apologize to her for it; but she, on the other hand, had to apologize?

I MEAN, WHAT?!

That's just how she works, she didn't hate herself only because she was bullied, she hated herself for her disability and the fact that it caused problems for everyone around her for her entire life. Read the manga, remember the short part about the choir? It went much further than that, she caused the entire class to lose a singing competition. She caused everyone problems. She didn't even need to be bullied to see that.

In the movie she was really only bullied by Ishida. In the beginning she was apologizing for being deaf but Ueno chastised her for it, but after the suicide attempt she apologized for being selfish and doing nothing to help Ishida.

did anyone else buy it?

twitter.com/shinkaimakoto/status/870484765358514176

karma, look it up.

this whole movie was about karma and reincarnation. This is why you don't get it. It's a movie/story steeped in buddhism. The Koy fish is even a well known eastern symbol for REINCARNATION.

>It went much further than that, she caused the entire class to lose a singing competition
So if she had not been deaf, none of this would have happened. Who cares that the school did not take the necessary steps to help her? Who cares that Japanese society treats different people always as enemies? It's Shoko fault for being deaf and inconvenient, so she got what she deserved.

I wonder if Japanese schools also use paraplegic students in dance competitions.

The message of KnK is: if you have any disability, if you have any psychological problem, if you are gay, DON'T BE! Strive and change, do not be a burden to society. The end.

That's the way Japanese society is.
Are you just learning this?

I know it is, I just thought a story that moved thousands of people would do it precisely because it went against that idea. I mean, it would be the same as an american making a film about shots in schools that in the end the open carry is seen as something positive.

I don't get why this movie looks so pretty. It makes no sense for conveying dark, serious themes like bullying, depression, and suicide. It just makes it feel like sensationalistic melodrama.

Better example: it would be the same as an American doing a film about rape in which the girl would eventually learn to dress more properly.

"I wanted to make a film that said 'Its going to be alright" -Naoko Yamada

There's no SJW's in Japan, you either fit in or you're an outcast.
No one cares to make a message like that.
The fact that they depicted a deaf girl in such an endearing light is surprising enough.

Again I'll ask...WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T SHE DIE?

Just finished the movie, was a bit confused on shouko's flashback of Ishida before she ran off to the bridge. Did he actually tell her he was going to commit suicide that Tuesday ?

The dream expressed her frustration in her inability to hear his "voice" and couldn't reach out to him when he needed help.

You keep saying this is how Japanese are but I've been to Japan a couple of times and the infrastructure for the impaired is top notch, I also saw people helping some random blind person get around. Do you have any factual evidence of Japanese society treating these people like shit or are you all just memeing?

secondary detected

slut

Is this from one of those old Goldust and Booker t promos circa 2002?

infrastructure doesn't mean anything, helping a random stranger doesn't mean anything. Your circumstantial evidence means absolutely nothing.
You're acting like the word culture means every single person in the country.
You sound like a liberal.

No need to get upset. I was just asking for evidence since in my experience the way you paint the Japanese is completely wrong. If you don't want to back up your claims it's OK.

If you don't believe something that is common knowledge then that is your retardation. You can go to Japan but don't know how to search the internet.
Pretty annoying that they let people who know jack shit about their country in.
No wonder they hate westerners.

For me, it's Marouane Fellini.

Oh, now that I read this namefag's other posts it is clear that he's either a Sup Forumstard or just baiting. Filtered.

Yeah, because it's garbage, like Dolan's films.

If only I could filter you.
Glad I won't have to be replying to you anymore.
One idiot at a time.

masterpiece*

Clearly, not everyone in Japan is like this, but the culture there follows hard the philosophy of collectivism.

This is why Koe No Katachi is so superior to Kimi no Na Wa.
Yamada crafted a masterpiece for the few enlightened ones that could appreciate it. Shinkai sold his soul to the corporate devil and made a flick with nice visuals that mainstream audiences could appreciate.
All hail kyoani, the gods of anime.

Anybody got the gibberish quote from shouko?
Ueno did nothing wrong

>follows hard the philosophy of collectivism

Should't they be a communist goverment if they really followed 'hard' that phylosophy.

So I watched this movie that everybody hypes just a few months after the release of Your Name and it’s of course the next best movie of all times, just like everything that is new is the best whatever of all times. This includes My Hero Academia, even when it’s a watered down Naruto, and Naruto was shit. To its credit I do agree A Silent Voice is better than Your Name, since it doesn’t have time reset bullshit and amnesia nonsense, plus the main two characters spend some time being physically close to each other before the romance kicks in.

Other than that, there’s not much of a story going on in here and the cast can all be described in a couple of lines. Everything plays out as predictably as you can imagine it from the trailer alone, and if you are looking for pretty colors and an excuse for men that are 26 to feel what they felt deep in their deep feels, then it’s a fine movie.

I am of course not going to evaluate it based on how much I cried, which is what everybody else is using these days as evidence of quality; the more he cries the better a movie is apparently. If I go by this logic then A Silent Voice is terrible because I didn’t cry nor felt anything else once it was over. Unless boredom can be included, which would count against it.

The reason for that is simple. There was nothing relatable as far as I’m concerned, since I grew up watching giant robots and space armadas blowing shit up. The setting is for the billionth time about bland high schools, just like 99% of every other anime that is coming out today.

And it’s about bullying, which is something 99% of school anime include at least once. Was it looked into better than usual? Yes it did, since it had repercussions. Not that it was amazing as far as theme exploration goes; it’s still fairly silly, just like everything that happens in such stories.

When can I buy with english subs in US?

Reminder that looks are literally all that matters in this world and it creates your mindset and therefore conciousness.

And it’s about bullying, which is something 99% of school anime include at least once. Was it looked into better than usual? Yes it did, since it had repercussions. Not that it was amazing as far as theme exploration goes; it’s still fairly silly, just like everything that happens in such stories.

I was also bullied in high school for being the weird guy who watches anime and doesn’t like sports. Do you what I did? I kicked the crap out of the bullies and then they left me alone. I didn’t transfer to other schools, I didn’t cry about it, I didn’t try to kill myself, and life went on. But then again that was a different time and a different generation. We were all manly men doing manly things back then, and not the current oversensitive 21 year old manchildren this movie was made for.

What we get instead of a glorious post apocalyptic story about cyborgs and transhumanism, is a deaf girl that is cute and shy so everybody would want to protect that smile, regardless of her not having any talents or much of a personality. Oh, and she also tries to kill herself because of first world problems… in high school. This sounds really serious, doesn’t it? But it’s ok, since the bully jumps in and grabs her midair, something which is extremely improbable to happen successfully.

And if I have to use the word improbable, means that the whole thing is cheap, forced, and there is nothing real about it. The characters are not relatable, they are just cute and cry a lot and you cry along with them regardless of how unbearably sappy the whole thing is. We are not even given any reason for why the bully and its victim had feelings for each other. I mean, why would you love the guy who tortures you? I still hate the bullies of my high school days even now, so I don’t find this relatable at all. Unless the Stockholm syndrome can be used as head canon, this whole thing is there for forced drama.

And I might as well inform you that from personal experience dealing with deaf people is exhausting. I had a friend who was gradually losing his hearing as time went on. We reached a point where I had to be yelling the same thing 3 times. It was such a bother I stopped talking to him after awhile. And yet there is no such problem in this movie, so once again it’s completely unrelatable as far as I’m concerned and why it’s the most terrible movie ever made because it didn’t make me cry. Using that logic doesn’t sound very creditable anymore, does it?

But hey, look on the bright side. It’s better than Your Name. Hell, it’s better than Anthem of the Heart, which was also about a handicapped girl and lots of vomiting high school shenanigans. Well done A Silent Voice, you are the least awful of these three.

And if you think all it takes to love the movie is to be an emotionalfag, you are wrong, since there are many who hate it because it’s not identical to the manga. You know the drill, anyone who didn’t read the manga has no idea what a masterpiece it really is. Not that I give a big enough damn to bother reading it, just letting you know what the mangatards are all yelling about, and why to them A Silent Voice is terrible because it didn’t make them cry.