Why do so many people hail Evangelion as "the greatest anime of all time"?

Why do so many people hail Evangelion as "the greatest anime of all time"?

It's insanity!

because they understand it

Do you let other peoples' opinions normally bother you this much?

Lots of varying reasons, but the most prominent being that it showed the industry that anime can actually turn a profit.

Okay, here's the thing:
Rewatch it.
I can tell you've only watched everything once, or are only half way through. But rewatch it and see if you can pick up on the subtleties of the anime, and keep in mind that Shinji is a self insert for the Anno, the creator, when he was going through a huge depression phase.

Because Eva was the first anime for adults, the first deep anime, the first profitable anime, the first mecha anime with a real protagonist who isn't some hotblooded kid dying to pilot a giant robot, one of the most well animated anime ever, and the first deconstruction. Eva changed everything.

Hi Sup Forums.......Im new here. >_>;;

OMG!!1.......this liek (xD) TOTS changed my whooole view of the animey(asian for cartoon). Suuper cool that you liek said that THUMBs UP

I was wondering if any of u knew how 2 register here........I dont see any place where i can log in. Also, why when u post, your post disappears from the list of posts? Why cant it just go directly to your post. Well anyway i wanted to show u guys some anime pics.....

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa\My Documents\My Pictures\sleepy_cat.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa\My Documents\My Pictures\woops1.gif[/img]

i hope u guys enjoy them....also, please welcome me to Sup Forums, i hope you are all friendly and treat me well.:D

First let me introduce myself......my fav animes are Naruto InuYasha and Bleach, and i like anime openings my favorite song is also the one at the begining of that one anime. Also the power level is OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD madnes??? THIS IS

[color=red]SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]

also, how cum (lol cum) you have to attach a pic? how ghey is that?:p here's a funny pic i found the other day when i was surfing the internet.:cool:

>Why do so many people hail Evangelion as "the greatest anime of all time"?

Because it was their first "edgy" anime.

Because it's a cut above 95% of everything else in this medium

>edgy

There's still, 20 years later, no mecha anime as good as Evangelion.

>At the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.
He's right, there were barely any mecha harem anime before Eva killed anime.

welcome

Huh, that definition is surprisingly appropriate, actually.

Because they haven't seen Kemono Friends yet.

Because it had a really good english dub

fpbp

its good in a number of ways, but I have not heard someone say it was the "best anime ever" in over a decade, and even thin they were being ironic.

>Even mentioning the English dub
I don't care how good you think it is. Nothing can ever approach Megumi Ogata's whispering, yelling, and crying (especially crying). It is probably one of, if not, the best performances ever in anime. Watching the English dub is a huge mistake.

Not even memeing.

I would make this a copypasta if I wasn't so worried about getting banned for it.

Because it is, but you're welcome to disagree, and think it's some other. It's called opinions.

You're welcome to try to find a better looking shot from a TV anime series.

If it comes from EVA, I auto-win.

Interesting characters/story + great directing. Even if you don't think it's the greatest, it surely has been very influential.

direction from the master himself, right after his original dream work was subjected to corporate manhandling
top quality animation for a TV series of its time
meta as fuck in relation to the stuff it 'ripped off' (Devilman, Ideon, Gundam, etc)
relatable themes and easy to grasp symbolism (no not the christian shit retard)

>they invented the most overused cancer archetype (tsundere)
>they invented the most overused cancer scene that can be ripped off

It's good, but it's not as deep as everyone likes to pretend it is

It literally saved anime, if that doesn't make it greatest anime material I don't know what could.

Because they've never seen K-ON!!

Name a deeper anime that doesn't draw inspiration from eva, I'll wait.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, a poignant metaphor for the immigrant experience covering humanistic and social themes such as systematic sexism, family, loneliness, individuality, alienation, accepting and understanding others, adapting to society, appreciating the little moments in life, capturing the shortsightedness and transience of human existence and fitting in with society's expectations.

Its more like why did every anime after eva copy eva.

>Saved anime

>90s

Bitch, please. Even K-On! is deeper than that.

Exactly.

Because oldfags.

FLCL was better.

Madoka is much better.

Not even Urobutcher's best work, and it's all recycled ideas contrary to what entry level fags seem to believe. It doesn't even qualify as a proper deconstruction of a genre.

correct

/thread

Lol what a retard

Lol omg wtf roflmao

You're right OP.
Limiting it to just "the greatest anime of all time" when it is so much more than just that is an insult to the greatness that is Eva. This shit should be taught in schools next to Shakespeare.

It's taught in film school and the likes, it's something.

The initial violently personal reaction held towards Evangelion by nature led to a reaction against it, which to a reaction against the secondary criticism, and thus forth, so here we are two decades deterritorrialized from any kind of sincere appreciation of Evangelion and no man alive can see the damn thing without squinting through the fifty layers of ideology that surround it like the chambers of a nautilus.

I knew that by saying lol, you would latch onto that and not give a proper answer. Typical Evafags

>i was just pretending to be retarded

Ive rewatched it couple of times, movies and ovas included. Its good but not the ultra deep shit that Sup Forums praises. Take it as a good experimental anime.

Madoka is Hegel while Evangelion is Nietzsche. Two different philosophical schools, so you're likely to prefer one over the other according to your philosophical bent. They are still some of the finest fictional condensations of Continental philosophy.

remove pompous high school kids

Oh boy you got me there. Ok, here's a proper answer.
>lol what a retard_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ghost in the Shell.

The only Eva kid that can be called pompous is Asuka. If you're trying to say Remove Asuka, then you're correct.

You can also say Remove Kebab, because that reflects Germany's current status quite well.

>the greatest anime of (it's) time
Here user , i fixed it for you

Nietzsche was a moron.

meme from redit dank le mayamya from 9aga

fpbp

Existentialism is entry level philosophy.
GitS is fucking great but it's not nearly as as deep as eva,

Funny you think that, considering Urobuchi is madly in love with Nietzsche.

If you don't think Eva is the greatest anime of all time, get the fuck out of my face

What if I think it's the greatest anime of all time and space and all possible planes of existence and nonexistence?

She's middle school, there are no high school aged characters. The age gap between the children and adults is dramatic.

GitS was actually correct. Eva's deepness was just one sweaty loser trying to make himself feel better.

> muh pussy MC

> muh clone with no identity

> I'm a bitch because my mommy died

Every one of those are terrible character archetypes, whether in the real world or in anime. It doesn't matter what the fuck your childhood was, your behavior as a self-aware adolescent is your responsibility, not your dead mom's.

Mao

Then you can get the fuck in my face

14&15 is high school you moron. Besides, doesn't Asuka go around calling herself a college graduate?

Settle down Kaworu

L-lewd!

Why would the leftist circlejerks of reddit and 9gag want to remove kebabs? They're the ones in support of bring them in by the millions.

Asuka has an intellect superior to most adults, Shinji is actually Anno in disguise, and Rei is not even a proper human.

>Because Eva was the first anime for adults
not true
>the first deep anime
subjective but also not true
>the first profitable anime
definitely not true, not even for Gainax
>the first mecha anime with a real protagonist who isn't some hotblooded kid dying to pilot a giant robot
debatable but I'll give you this one
>one of the most well animated anime ever
without a doubt
>and the first deconstruction.
not true
>Eva changed everything.
agreed

>anno gets depressed and high on his meds
>puts together some random shit he thought seemed cool and ran with it
>people try hard to find a deep meaning to it and create a cult following for the series

Its the perfect fedora tipping anime

Because it's entry level anime and they don't notice all the shit Annus robbed from every other anime.

You must recognize that, for an otaku such as Anno, it's a great project about picking your favorite stuff from all the shows you loved, but it doesn't deserve all the praise as DEEPshit it gets from normalfags. I'd say it's more akin to the DAICON openings than some original masterpiece.

Nice fanfic. In reality asuka is shown to be a fucking moron.

>Its the perfect fedora tipping anime
it is, but it's also legit one of the best so that's irrelevant.

>>and the first deconstruction.
>not true
The first good one, and arguably the best executed.

go back there retard

Maybe he is, but when you boil down the plot arc of Madoka to its essence, what remains is classic Hegel. Thesis, antithesis, contradiction, synthesis, transcendence. It's all there, in order no less.

Opinion, and therefore subjective and irrelevant.
Now, her being a college graduate is a cold hard fact.

hagel more like gaygel lmao

awwww, he can't deny any of it!

Quit while you're behind, faggot.

>the first mecha anime with a real protagonist who isn't some hotblooded kid dying to pilot a giant robot
Literally every (UC) Gundam MC is some kid who does NOT want to pilot the shit at some point. In fact, Shinji comes off as jarring because he really doesn't want to pilot the shit. A more realistic character would try it and later realize it fucking sucks instead of whining about daddy issues while everyone gets killed.

>classic Hegel
You mean highschool Hegel.

go back there

Please post evidence of Asuka's intelligence, and please dispute my statements, though you won't be able to.

Exhibit A: Matarael. Asuka, in her infinite arrogance and stupidity, nearly gets the team killed while bossing the team around in order to claim glory for herself. This utterly fails until Rei takes over and unfucks them.

Typical Evafags

And now he's a broken record!

Wow asukafags are so easy to break!

babbys first mecha

I didn't say it goes all that deeply into hegel, but then again, Eva doesn't go all that deeply into Nietzsche either. They're condensations, not full-on expositions.

Also, what classes did you take in high school that you studied Hegel?

Graduated college at age 14.

rationalize that fagboy, no "she had connections" meme.

This is Asuka's own rationalization. Evangelion isn't on her side when she claims to be mature.

Exhibit B: Arael. Rei is ordered to engage the Angel, until Asuka buts in and rushes ahead. Note that in the military this is known as 'Gross Insubordination'. She is then overpowered and humiliated by a powerpoint slideshow while Rei engages and destroys the threat.

What I believe you meant to say was

T H I C C D R A G O N L E S B I A N S

Post her degree. Post her credentials. What are they?

I have a PHD is nuclear physics with a minor in culinary arts.

Since you don't need to see proof, then I'm absolutely qualified to head the USNRC.

I know. The evidence is to the contrary.

There are worse.
For example people who hail DBZ as "the greatest anime of all time.

DBZ is the greatest anime of all time because there's more to anime than being artifically deep and as meaningful as a box of rocks

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Been rewatching it the last weeks. Not the greatest but shit is still fine. A LOT of stuff is different to what I used to remember. Really, nostalgia is a powerful thing.

>DBZ is the greatest anime of all time
En serio, Negro?

post evidence to the contrary

It's honestly bad and EoE is the only good part of that mess of a franchise. Eureka Seven is actually the 'greatest anime of all time' and that will never change.
AO was rushed and ridiculous in comparison and it makes out better than almost everything that comes out seasonally.
The first movie was also not spectacular but is incredibly important to the series.
There are three (3!) more movies to come and there's little doubt that they will redefine history.
People fail to realize that E7 essentially predicted Timothy Morton and everything around this 'new ecology'.
NGE is for edgy, whiny teenagers that think psychology is profound or relevant.