The great debate

the great debate.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uMsOlhzPEfY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

Yeild fool, for there is an even greater debate.

I liked both, now what?

They were both good for different reasons, though I think on some level I was really disappointed by how pretty much every single homunculus that wasn't Pride, Wrath, or Greed wound up being kind of a joke in the manga/Brotherhood. Flame Alchemy truly is complete fucking bullshit, no wonder it was so carefully guarded.

Original was darker and had a greater weight to the universe by the end

New/manga faithful had lighter weight ending and was canon

both are good by their own standards the overall theme of FMA is equivalent exchange

in the original Al and Ed "exchanged" their world in order to help keep it safe and the new one they ended up in

in the manga/faithful Ed exchanged his ability to use alchemy

I like the weightyness of the original and movie but Anime is usually happy ending and justice prevails etc. so I like the new

only a fool would say brotherhood/manga are superior in everyway as both have clear pros and cons

This

>Rei: kindhearted and quiet and respectful
this is what an adult wants
>Asuka: loudmouthed, boastfull, obnoxious, emo, mean at all the wrong times barely nice when it counts, jealous and disrespectful
this is what a child wants since it reflects them perfectly

>Ritsuko: selfish, obsessed
only someone seeking trouble is into this hot

mess

>Yui: Selfless, loving, caring, milf
good taste but Freud would like to have a word with you...

>Misato: grown ass woman who handles all her own problems herself and is a free spirit very kind to those around her
perfection

I honestly think 2003 did the source material a huge favor. Manga just feels super shallow and pointless.

Obviously everything anime original from 2003 was trash, but what can you do.

I liked the ending of fullmetal alchemist. It was certainly more memorable than the happy ending of brotherhood.

homunculi were better in 2003,

2003 kind of shat on a major point of the series: You can't bring dead people back to life in ANY way

You can't make them normal people, you can't make homonculii shaped like them, you can't even make empty soulless shells of the deceased. You just CAN'T.

Having failed human transmutations become homonculi made the plot much tighter. I think it was a good use of artistic liscence. And the fact that they made Sloth when they were trying to bring their mom back was a really compelling plot point.

they're both shit

Both shitty shounens with shitty humor and pacing centered around a fucking macguffin plot device of all things. I cannot for the life of me understand the love for this series, it's marginally better than say, Naruto or Bleach.

The one where Bradley doesn't die by a skull.

>I cannot for the life of me understand the love for this series

2003 was a lot of people's first "serious" anime back in the day and Brotherhood appeals to just about every audience while having few glaring flaws like a lot of other Shonen. I don't think either is a masterpiece, personally.

2003 > Brotherhood. Both are great though.

Both are good, but "lol I can just give up magic in exchange for restoring my body" was a huge cop out.

My main problem with it was that it doesn't seem very plausible that human transmutation had only been tried 7 times before.

2003 will always be shit for the fanfiction second half and cringe shit like robo Archer and dude nazis lmao ending

They can't become a homunculus without red stones.

2003 was much better written than the manga, the flashback in the antique empire was however a very interesting addition. But the series is much more delicate and elaborate better the charace3ter development: Lust and Scar are 10 ten X times more porfound and captivating in 2003, Rose has an heartbreaking destiny, the brotehrs have to forfeit their whole world etc.

i ll add to this that the nazi world is not a deterrent, its an interesting way of presenting an alternate ending, and is somehow to be filed in the same category as OoT and MM: same characters, different roles, and a dimensional interplay. Brotherhood has some few gay fights and repelling character design of the 2010s, so i guess i cannot state this opinion !

The analysis I've seen that makes the most sense is basically:

2003: Better characters (since the story wasn't really there they had to focus on this aspect much more)
Brotherhood: Better story

>Both are good, but "lol I can just give up magic in exchange for restoring my body" was a huge cop out.
It wasn't though? He gave up a very significant part of himself to get another part of himself back. Equivalent exchange and all that. It's what Truth was waiting for him to finally get the whole time. Though honestly I would have kept the alchemy and just left things as is if I were him. Being a cyborg isn't so bad, right?

Which was worse?

Brotherhood is all around better
Better pacing, better villains, better battles
Only thing I didn't really like was making 2 homunculi a bit worse
Lust died off too soon, Wrath just kept living and coming back like Team Rocket
But that really doesn't matter when Greed and Pride in Brotherhood are a million times better

Childhood is idolising Brotherhood. Adulthood is realizing 2003 makes more sense.

I really do feel that the 2003 version is better.
It's darker, more dramatic and more emotional.

The 2009 version was more battle oriented and philosophical, but it didn't give that same feeling of drama that made the 2003 version feel tangible. Err.. as tangible as anime gets.

They were both good, original had better pacing and character development and Brotherhood didn't because it made the assumption that most people watching had watched the original or read the manga.
If I had to pick one then I'd say Brotherhood was better overall but generally I'd recommend people watch both with a large gap inbetween

It's not much a debate.
2003 is like a fanfic.

there's nothing to debate, they are both pretty good. Read -> watch old one in 2 years, -> watch new one in 6 years
Unless you're a graphicsbabby from Sup Forums that means you'll never be able to have two time sinkers and your opinions on anime are shallow and irrelevant

They're both great.

>Graphics isn't important in animation
W-what?

BOKURA WA IMA DEMO SAKE ~N~ DERU

1. read manga
2. watch 2003
3. watch brotherhood

Best formula. There's no other alternative.

Best OP no debate.

youtube.com/watch?v=uMsOlhzPEfY

There's nothing to debate Brotherhood BTFO of the 2003 anime.
The only thing 2003 had going for it was the OPs and some nice soundtracks, the rest was just edgy fanfiction garbage with shitty OCs and the twist completely shit the bed and the ending was incredibly unsatisfying, not only that but the movie managed to heap more shit onto it.
Brotherhood is just the better show, hands down.
Ling and Ninja waifu Lan Fan are great, Greed's - aka biggest bro - character development while inside Ling is leagues better than the crap we got with Lust in 2003
And the fact that this motherfucker was replaced by a whiny long haired fuccboi that throws temper tantrums was absolute heresy and by and large one of the biggest reasons why Brotherhood > 2003
Also the brotherhood movie feels more like a side adventure that can be dismissed rather than the shit that was Conqueror of Shamballa. Julia > Gypsy Rose

I miss the King Motherfucking Bradley threads.

This fucker was amazing.

>The only thing 2003 had going for it was the OPs and some nice soundtracks

Almost everything in 2003 was better; music, direction, everything. It's just that anyone who isn't deaf could tell that the soundtrack is better than Brotherhood's.

>fanfiction
Boggles the mind as to why anyone would care about this. Neither of these shows depict events that really happened. There is no real version of FMA.

> character development while inside Ling is leagues better than the crap we got with Lust in 2003
Ling is like every villain conversion that's happened in every battle shounen ever.

>replaced
Selim was replaced. Wrath was in 2003 but they just called him Pride.

>Also the brotherhood movie feels more like a side adventure
It was shit. Shamballa was shit too but the only reason to even acknowledge it is if you have an allergy to open or depressing endings.

2003 > manga > shit > brotherhood
If you disagree you have shit taste.

>Old man not in his prime anymore.
>Gets the train he was on blown the fuck up.
>Survives
>Returns home to an attempted coup.
>Proceeds to take out a tank, trained squads of soldiers, a hulking man with a metal jaw for an arm, a ninja, and a meta human that can harden his body by himself.
>All with just a single grenade and a sword.
Fucking hell Bradley.

I don't think anyone who puts 2003 above anything can lecture others on taste.

Can you watch Brotherhood without having watched the first one?

Brotherhood is a faithful adaptation of the manga, except for like a single filler scene in the very beginning if I remember correctly. The 2003 anime was made when the manga was not yet finished and they went full retard with their original ending.

As someone else mentioned earlier, both are good for different reasons. There really is no debate.

Had it not been for Conqueror of Shamballa, 2003 would have been better than Brotherhood. Apparently it was supposed to be a miniseries, and a lot of stuff was cut from the movie.

First half of the first series + Brotherhood.

first one did drama better
brotherhood did action and lore better

The problem with this is that it's fucking bullshit
>then Bradley survives
>then he survives again
>and again
>and again
It's like a parody of recurring boss battles in video games and anime

>It's like a parody of recurring boss battles in video games and anime
No it's not, it's not like he heals from the damage or shows up outta nowhere because it's time for a boss battle, it all flows quite naturally, I mean, his Headquarters is getting seized, it's like being surprised that the owner of a house keeps popping up to try and stop you from trespassing.
Besides, he didn't get THAT fucked up, all things considered, shonen protags often get by with way worse shit like broken bones or internal bleeding and whatnot.
He used his agility to survive the train unscathed and the fight against the soldiers from Brigs got him a cut across the face that took his all seeing eye, a stab wound and a shot to the shoulder, he only returns two times counting the time everyone thought he died on the train.
Also, remember that Bradley is supposed to be one of the big bads and the story is reaching the climax, he carries himself as you'd expect, and his entire reputation revolves around him being an unstoppable force that makes anyone that knows of him shit themselves, c'mon, do you want him to die comically in a fire because his kid was a dumbshit and brought him his kryptonite?
You should find more of a problem with the fact it took a literal Deus Ex Machina to put him down in his fight against Scar

It's just annoying to keep seeing the same villain just coming back over and over, it feels like the author wanking the gary stu because of his unlimited resourcefulness and that it needs to be highlighted just kewl and invincible he is
I was honestly glad he died, I didn't care how because I was sick of him

Oh! I thought Brother hood was a sequel like Naruto Shippuden or whatever.

Both are parts of a fantastic series and both are well worth a watch.
Yes, you can, but you'll most likely end up wanting to watch more so I'd recommend you watch 2003 as well.

Oh well, not everyone can not have shit taste, I guess.

Definitely Shamballa, I actually think Milos is a pretty entertaining film despite being the usual inconsequential shonen side story movie.

I'll try it. Thanks

I would say the first anime has a better score and tone, while the later has a story that doesn't shit it's pants.

However, I'm a 'just read the manga' fag. I'd really rather have more not-adaptions.

>2003 was a lot of people's first "serious" anime
Jesus, how old am I? I still consider the manga relatively new.

manga tbqh

Shamballa has Nazi Hughes.

Milos has Lina Inverse.

The first FMA anime is over a DECADE old.
Brotherhood is 8 years old.

I'd concede on Sloth but Lust and Envy were great.

Nothing to debate, Brotherhood is objectively better. 03 hipsters need to leave.

fug, my OTP

2003 had a better atmosphere for the kind of story Fullmetal Alchemist had and also better character development for key characters like Lust and Ed.
I especially loved that fact that Ed had to actually kill someone in the 2003 one, albeit a homunculus, a lot.

The way they kept alluding to the "Alchemists are human weapons in a dark manner yet Ed never had to kill anyone really fucking bugged me. Infact that's my greatest critique about the Brotherhood version.

However, in terms of the stories, Brotherhood was consistently entertaining while 2003 was a heap of shit in the middle. And at the cost of sacrificing previously mentioned deep character development, Brotherhood had the entire cast be likable and involved.
So overall, Brotherhood > 2003.

Thats the shittiest one.

>tfw English VA dead

I forgot why he's crying in the OP.

Anyone remember?

Milos is garbage, Shamballa is pretty good if you're already over the nonsensical edge the 2003 anime was working with

It's really not. We all knew what to expect from the moment he defeat Greed, aka Ultimate Shield, within seconds. And also his past.

Expecting him to be dead to a fucking bomb in suspicious circumstances or from being thrown into a moat was just a wilful delusion.

No reason. The whole OP was the most melancholic.

That's not Rewrite

Yeah but why would he fucking cry. There has to be atleast a good theory on it.

Reminder that Hughes dies in ch 16 of the original manga and has about as many scenes in 2003 as he does in Brotherhood, they just aren't padded out with filler like the novel/sidestory episodes

Also that Shou Tucker surviving as long as he did was probably the only downright edgy thing about 2003

Melissa is catchy as fuck, but this op sucks.

TOOKUU

TOOKUU

Brotherhood was fucking garbage for a few reasons

1. They learn that alchemy is controlled entirely by the god they have to fight in the end so they have to learn alchehestry to have an ability to fight against him, otherwise they'd be using alchemy against the people who controls alchemy which is stupid. They never fucking learn alchehestry and successfully use alchemy against him, what the fuck.

2. The entire fucking final battle was pointless. Their father had ALREADY SOLVED THE ENTIRE PROBLEM A LONG TIME BEFORE by manually going out and fucking up the ritual. They had absolutely zero effect on the final outcome, the story never needed the main characters to do anything.

We have this thread for at least three times a week and everyone knows brotherhood is better.

FMA 03 is basically a fanfic. There is no debate.

there's nothing to debate. They're both good but 2003 portrays the world and the characters better.

What about this one? Since most people at this point prefer brotherhood.

Yes but they are wrong to prefer it

>the great debate
No you dumb nigger, most FMA threads are with this same shitposting and yet you made a fucking thread for that sole purpose, end yourself.

Kimblee was the most underutilized character in the series.
2003's version of him was understandably terrible though.
Can't blame them due to lack of character to work with but just sayin.

That doesn't seem old to me at all. It's only a decade.

Brotherhood is trope filled shounenshit that's extremely predictable and borderline childish. It's popularity is the reason why no one takes anime seriously as an artform outside of select films and series that have to go the extra mile to prove themselves because they have low brow garbage like FMA:B, Hunter X Hunter and Boku no Hero Academia representing the medium. At least 2003 tried to stray away from the shounenshit manga and try something new and different.

This so much.

Another reason why Brotherhood is better, we don't need artfags in anime

1999 > manga > 2011

So you admit Brotherhood is pleb trash

So the fact that normalfags don't appreciate it means it for plebs?

They're good in their own right for different reasons

you must be a hit at parties