Was evangelion really that good?

was evangelion really that good?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/a/thread/156743218
google.com/search?q=watchmen deconstruction&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS703US703&oq=watchmen dec&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5149j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Asking the question when the answer is obvious.

only end of evangelion was good

are you saying its not?

Better than you favourite anime

no the real question is, Is Misato really that hot?

yeah
no

Yes, yes it is.

Yes, it is the best anime ever made. This is an objective fact, you can disagree, but you'd be factually wrong.

>This

Also Asuna is objectively the best girl in the entirety of Eva, if you disagree you most likely have a mental disability.

Yes. For being my first anime, I really liked it.

Who is Asuna?

NGE and EOE are the only things you should watch and they were fantastic.

The rebuilds are shit and should be skipped somewhat like Dragonball GT or any chibi spinoff show.

were the spinoff movies really that good?

It was okay I guess

what this guy said

Kare Kano is better, honestly.

The reason it's controversial is because as a story it's terrible, and as art it's great. Mind you I'm defining art by the Leo Tolstoy definition: story is a transmission of thoughts from author to viewer and art is a transmission of emotion from author to viewer. Anno did a good job of transmitting his emotions through it, but not as good of a job transmitting his thoughts, essentially.

Y E S
E
S

>The reason it's controversial

because some inronic weeb nu-males dont like it doesnt make it controversial.
anyone with any relevance praise it.

The original series yes.

This was true until 2010 when K-On came out and dethroned it. Still, second place is nothing to sneeze at.

it was actually even better

Tolstoy is the faggot who had an irrational hate-boner for Shakespeare. Great art is the great synthesis of thought and emotion.

>eva
>controversial
It's pretty much unanimously acclaimed. That's like saying 2001 was "controversial" because some faggots today complain the shots were too long

It's great, as good as Anno's previous works.

Imo thought and emotion aren't really comparable. It's basically philosophy vs poetry.

I only enjoyed the evangelion movies

I watched half of the show when I was 13 and dropped it because I thought it was really boring so I imagine I'd have different opinions now but I'm not particularly interested in finding out.

Greatest anime. Worst fanbase

>Best ever
Ehh, it is up there in the top, but the best is a matter of taste.
The direction of Eva is nearly flawless, tho.

No. The first 14 episodes were horrible

Underrated post

No, the story isnt terrible. It is just told in a non-standard way.
You dont get to know much more than the things shinji, the "main anchor" in the setting, doesnt know.
It is an artistic decision to give emphasis in character development instead than in plot advancement. It doesnt make the story terrible, just different.
People following the same 101 of story telling and being afraid to try different ways and focuses to tell a story is the thing killing fiction today. "Too risky to be 'artsy', gotta follow the committee approved formula"

Baby's first anime

Though and emotion are totally related. Rationalism and Emotion are the ones that conflict.

>Asuna

It wasn't good, it just was the first to deconstruct the mecha genre.

and it had 2 polar opposite females to kickstart the waifu wars that still rage to this day.

>it just was the first to deconstruct the mecha genre.
Wrong

Great animations, great fights, convoluted plot but great characters.
The only "problem" for me was that they went far FAR too into the whole symbolism and DEEP psychology, and that fucking last episode + omedetou!!! ending probably forever biased me against actually liking this.

>waifu wars that still rage to this day
That's not true. The war ended a long time ago, when it was unanimously agreed that Asuka is best girl.

Reply ASUKA IS BEST GIRL to agree.

>>deconstruct the mecha genre
>While none of shinjis problems come from piloting the mecha, but rather his father being an asshole, the people around him being broken, and he himself being depressed.
>His mecha, if anything, is a very literal Deus Ex Machina that saves his ass when he is danger.

Stop throwing that word around, you dont know what it means. It doesnt matter if 99% of the world also uses it wrong, it still wrong.

>Waifuing characters that are supposed to be unlikable and damaged.
That is stupid user.

>deconstruct

Look at her little face, though

Yes it is.

I really like that lil sociopath, even with all her flaws.

Lightsabers, very original.

^

Shinji is a deconstruction of a mecha MC, he has an absentee father who leaft to work on robots then comes back years later to have shinji pilot and unlike any other mecha MC Shinji reacts the way a normal teenager would with so much responsibility, he crumbles.

Asuka is a deconstruction of the hotblooded archetype and Rei of the cool calm and collected pilot.

in short, your fukin dum.

>It doesnt matter if 99% of the world also uses it wrong, it still wrong.

People have been using the word to describe these kinds of story's since Watchmen back in the 80(possibly even before) language evolves, we Grammar Nazis have to deal with it.

You say deconstruction but what you describe is subversion. Way the prove that user's point.

Why would you waifu a character who isn't damaged?

see

see
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/156743218
It doesn't work that way when the "evolved" meaning means something completely different for everyone. Also, I never hear deconstruction used to refer to works of fiction outside anime.

>Also, I never hear deconstruction used to refer to works of fiction outside anime.

it sounds like you only watch anime. its fairly common, particularly in Sup Forums related media.
google.com/search?q=watchmen deconstruction&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS703US703&oq=watchmen dec&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5149j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

also
>using a Sup Forums thread to try to prove your point

How were you the only one able to pick up on the miyazawa?

You example doesn't make that particular use of the word any less obscure and that thread clearly proves the meaninglessness of the word in common use. Why don't you just provide a proper argument for why eva is a deconstruction because characters being more "realistic" doesn't convince me.

Yeah

>best anime ever made
>objective fact
That's just sad.

I hate tsunderes.

>You example doesn't make that particular use of the word any less obscure.

it shows tons of people using the word in context that you say youve never heard it used in, if you consider your Sup Forums post valid then you have to consider my evidence valid as well otherwise you are to biased to even be worth arguing with.

>being more "realistic" doesn't convince me.

your not any kind of authority so i don't need to convince you, that said, even the mecha are done in a more realistic way(as much as can be said of something so impossible in the first place). Power cords, ballistic weaponry and sync ratios to justify the pilots abilty to execute complex movements with nothing bit joysticks and buttons.

if we are just arguing about the meaning of the word then there is not really any point in this since we arnt going to change each others minds.

>your not any kind of authority so i don't need to convince you,
>if we are just arguing about the meaning of the word then there is not really any point in this since we arnt going to change each others minds.
First, you say you don't need to convince him because he's not an authority,
then you dismiss a part of the discussion because nobody would be convinced about that part, despite earlier claiming that you don't value him being convinced.

This is not consistent.

of course id like to convince him, but like I would not still be posting if it meant nothing to me.

you act like youve caught me in some kind of lie or something?

and im dismissing that part cause if thats what its about then there is no reason to waste his time and mine.

>of course id like to convince him,
Then you'll have to give an argument why being more realistic means that it's a deconstruction. This is the point of contention.

>and im dismissing that part cause if thats what its about then there is no reason to waste his time and mine.
It's equally a waste of time if you say that it's a deconstruction because it's A and A is sufficient for your definition of deconstruction X, which you don't mention, because you assume that there's no stasis of definition, which you can't know, since you don't even mention which definition you're using.

No

>since you
Both of you, that is.

And neither was Slutbuster

it should be obvious what i mean by deconstruction from context.

Eva is obviously a deconstruction if you use the more modern definition of playing cliches realisticly.

even if its not the original meaning of the word its clearly evolved to be synonyms with subversion, language changes. or doth thou thinketh olde english is best to communicate.

>He never heard of watchman.
The fuck nigga.

Anyway, the agreed upon idea of "deconstructing" an genre is to try apply what would happen in real life to it.
Watchman is famous it takes the premisse of a few more capable than usual people deciding to pick on vigilantism as a job (super heroes), except that with the huge moral differences between them, it is only a matter of time till things goes to shit.

When you say eva is a deconstruction of a mecha protagonist, you are saying that the protagonist of eva is treated like he would in a real setting. While it is SOMEWHAT true, there is a lot of anime protagonist tropes and cliches at play.
For one, shinji, one of the most important people in the world, would be kept at NERV at all times. He wouldn't be allowed to go to school, let alone tell eva secrets to the school kids.
He had some shooting training, but he would also need extensive physical and close range combat training.
He would be taught discipline, which is really important in a realistic militaristic setting, and his insubordination cause a lot of problems.
For all the pain he goes through, he is hardly ever in danger, because 01 can always save his ass. He never stops and contemplates what it will mean if he fails, he just do it regardless.
There is little development around the idea of losing a friend in battle. When he loses rei, she gets reincarnated the same episode.

Ironically, as a proper deconstruction (application of real world logic and ideas) of the mecha protagonist, the first half of Gunbuster is a better example than eva, although the second half isnt so grounded.

The realism of the mechas (cables, weaponry, militaristic approach) is worth noting as a a strong application of real world logistics to the work, and one actually"deconstructed" parts of the show, but that isnt the protagonist, nor the focus of the show.

Part (1/2)

looking at NGE objectively as a whole it is pretty mediocre. they do a really bad job of hiding low budget animation towards the series finale

What the protagonist of eva REALLY is, together with most other characters, is a archetype of depression.
Eva is one of the first animes to actually put a heavy emphasis on character psychology and development, even though it is a exaggerated depiction. Not the first anime to deconstruct the mecha MC.
Shinji depression and main point comes from his relationships with the people around him. It is a psychological drama. That is what the series is.

People call it deconstruction because they associate desconstruction with drama and depression, although both things arent necessarily related.
(Part 2/2)

>For one, shinji, one of the most important people in the world, would be kept at NERV at all times. He wouldn't be allowed to go to school, let alone tell eva secrets to the school kids.

The school is actually super safe since its just a way for them to keep all the potential high sync ratio kids in one area where thay can be watched.

yea, everyone in Shinjis class has eva pilot potential

>He never stops and contemplates what it will mean if he fails, he just do it regardless.

this ones just plain wrong, he freaks out constantly.

everything else you said is 100% true though.

what is intelligent sci-fi anime called?

> left half is supposed to be "bad"
> contains loads of fantastic tit pics

What did he mean by this?

>this ones just plain wrong, he freaks out constantly.
Well, correct me if im wrong, but i remember that shinji couldn't explain why he fought, and later it was implied that he did for moments such as when hia friends, and even gendo, praises him for his piloting.
He seems to be doing it for his friends and to be accepted, rather than to save the entire world. Thats untill kaji give him a head shake.

>alcoholic,roastie, slob that wants to fuck her dad, then tries to bang a 14 year old because she can only way she can try to forget the pain in her life is by filling her holes.

Physically yeah tho since her jugs.
I can't bring myself to mean to her though so just ignore the green text.

where the fuck did sudostef's shit go, i wanted to watch the misato analysis

He attempted suicide. digibro's reddit had a thread about it

Damn, I hope he is ok. I wanted to show some of his stuff to one of my friends that is currently watching the show for the first time too.

Wew, the nutcases always end up being eva fans.
I remember the name and his youtube profile, but don't remember his work.
Wasnt he a really rich fuck that did a junji ito video not long ago being all art fartsy about art?
Is there an archive?

how is this even a fair fight

>choices are
>an autistic clone of your mom that has the soul of a fucking god or something and might as well be a blow up doll
>slob roastie alcoholic with daddy issues that tries to fill her hollow existence with cock
>cute redhead girl that tries to hide her self doubt with narcissism, attempting to be independent and being rude to people she cares about. But in reality she just wants to someone that will love and cuddle with her

A S U K A I S B E S T G I R L

>not wanting a cute redhead that truly just wants to be cuddled and would be emotionally dependent on you as your waifu
it

He seemed both well off and a very chill dude, which makes it a bit surprising, also the way he spoke was very well suited for his videos, even if he did stumble a lot. I'm pretty sure he did make a Junji Ito video.
He didn't come off as tryhard as you say to me. I don't believe you can currently watch any of his stuff.

You're still talking about it.

What Shinji wants is a series-long recurring question that comes up a lot while he's tripping and his answers tend to be refuted quickly. When he complains about piloting or claims not to have a choice, he's invited to quit. He's shocked to receive a compliment from Gendo, decides after that he was always working for recognition, and a little later Leliel rips it apart as being his motivation. At the ending he says he was doing it to stay with all the cool people he met, in the beginning he first signed up and was headed for an apartment alone before Misato decided he was coming with her.

Yes, but women will never understand. Really.

He was good software engineer, could draw, play guitar, skateboard, make good anime videos and lived alone in a big house with a fat cat. A shame he didn't fall for Anno's bullshit.

Evangelion is both one most important anime ever from an artistic standpoint, but also one of the most entertaining ones. The problem is unironically that a lot of people don't get it. It is essential viewing for any fan of anime and anyone posting on taiwanese knitting forums.

You'll never understand them, either. And that's great.

Watch it again, compare to other things you've watched.

It's a great anime but a terrible mecha

But you're also wrong, 0079 came out before ideon

Eh, im just being a little pricky, but i hope he is alright, and also wonder why he did it. I just remembered who he was.

He spent 5 minutes of the junji video trying to define art as "making content that inspire other people". Staying 5 minutes on the same point is pushing a little too hard for me, but i guess his other videos were alright.

Too bad his stuff is gone, i hate when this kind of things are lost forever, even im not a fan of it. Are you sure there isnt some mirrors in DailyMotion?

Another thing i think he did that offset me was he seemed to have a lot of expensive stuff and not being careful with it. I think there was one video where he threw stuff (i think coins) at his laptop with enough force to tip it. He also thrown himself down with his chair in one video. I dont have 250 bucks laying around to risk bending or damaging such a fancy office chair for a silly video skit.

Shitty Ideon rip-off

Amuro crumbled several times during 0079, not to mention he spent 6 years with PTSD until Zeta. By the end he did what he had to do, but he was still fucked in the head.

This is why nobody takes Evafags seriously.

That's because the mecha stuff is almost entirely irrelevant and mostly a vessel to convey the story about the characters.

>I've never watched any mecha series made before 1990

Nice memes

I don't have the pic right now but your post is perfect for
>I don't really like mecha but... starter pack

>the mecha stuff is almost entirely irrelevant
That's why they have a mecha fight every episode showcasing several new attacks and weapons in different environments
> mostly a vessel to convey the story about the characters.
So literally every mecha anime ever.

This, to be frank.