What are some anime that might not necessarily be good but effectively shaped the course of the medium...

What are some anime that might not necessarily be good but effectively shaped the course of the medium? What shows re-centered the zeitgeist and made the medium take the form it currently assumes?

Fuck it.

What I'm asking is how the fuck did it come to this?

It all returns to K-On and Sword Art. Didn't do it first, but they probably directly inspired the most people to rake in the cash. Don't watch any school battle so I don't know where the powder keg was for that.

Evangelion

Urusei Yatsura's influence can be seen in pretty much all Sol and Harem Anime.

Madoka would be the precursor to the edgy maho shoujo shows

Haruhi

love hina started the 2000s haremshit craze

Is Eromanga the Black Clover of the LN market?
>Nobody seems to like it
>Still shows up on all the sales and top 5 lists

I take it you can't set your time machine to "Tenchi Muyo"...And before that DNA^2...And before that

SAO is mostly responsible for game stats.

We've been over this. Japan has shit taste. Ben-to Season 2 never.

But SAO was basically just a variation on the themes of .hack and .hack, plot wise, was just a dumbed down serial experiments lain with flashy Fantasy characters so it could be targeted at RPG neck beards.

>2000s
the huge glut of horrible harem shows is love hina's fault, despite not being the first

>a product is successful despite not being good because every customer is buying it to see why the others are buying it
This thing has a name but I forgot it. The something effect or something.

Oh, I see what you mean.

the monogatari series and the fate series have much better sales and would be easier to argue as individual shitty series that shaped the medium. now we have loads of edgy and pretentious shounenshit. madoka is fucking terrible and gave the mahou shoujo genre the shaft pretty hard with it's obscene sales. gundam of course is pretty lame and shaped the medium.

k-on is actually good but it's influence is exaggerated, haruhi is equally as successful and prolific and predates it by several years and k-on isn't any more successful than girls und panzer. the interesting thing about k-on is that it brought in an unusual demographic that is hard to reach(YA women and casuals). SAO doesn't hold much individual significance either, arguably a product of the fate series. Most people just mistake it for isekai, or think that it is the reason we have lots of fantasy game world anime instead of the actual reason that is gaming has become extremely popular and widespread.

evangelion of course shaped anime as we know it more than any other series, but is also a 10/10 series and therefore irrelevant to this thread.

It popularized the use of game stats in fantasy so the shit ton of isekai in the following years all started to use it (even when they're not even in a game) because the customers like them and it's a very easy way for the author to artificial develop the plot.
>He was Lv.7 now he is Lv.99
>Fire magic skill acquired
It's the lazy writer's best friend.

MMOs are why we have lots of MMO anime, not hack and SAO.

>monogatari
>bad
>K-ON
>good
Out and stay out.

Fix your colour calibration faggot.

ironic.

I call it the waterworld effect.

This light novelist wrote two light novel series in a row about kids writing light novels and being amazing at it. Can the wish fulfillment meter go any higher? Of course it can because both are about fucking your sister and getting away with it.

Does this dude have a little sister? I fucking hope not and it's just a fetish of his.

Not a show like Eromanga Sensei which is only good for flavor of the month baiting, that's for sure.

OH FUCK

>Does this dude have a little sister?
He has an illustrator, which should probably worry the illustrator.

>news from the Onion of anime

Judging by the file name he's some newfag that saved an image with tumblr saturation from google images.

I'm a next level fag who uses appchan to link pics so I don't have to save any garbage anime pics myself.

>He has an illustrator, which should probably worry the illustrator.

That can all be done over e-mail. You can do art for a light novel with out even knowing who-OH MY GOD!

Japan doesn't care about whatever definition of "good" you think is true, user. They like things they enjoy, and nothing more than that -- the biggest proof of this is how both Eromanga-sensei and Shingeki no Eotenjin sold really fucking well this season despite being two completely different shows with different target public.
Just like a wise woman once said, "fun things are fun".

Which aren't that relevant.

Everything you need to know about Fushimi is summed up in this Kuroneko gif.

>500x281
>500

Don't give me shit.

I'm sure there's a japanese thread like this somewhere with a picture of Transformers 5.

I would reply in that thread with this image.

and also the word "Nostalgia"

Um, no. Love Hina codified the genre. Urusei Yatsura was not a harem, nor was Ranma 1/2 if you go for that one and DNA squared was about a guy who's physically allergic to girls. They are not harem in the sense of what harem became. Tenchi Muyo was close but not popular enough to be influential. You really need to look to Love Hina.

It's like arguing that Popeye was the first superhero or that detectives in comics led directly to Batman. Popeye had super powers but wasn't a hero. Batman was a detective but without Superman's effect on comics he wouldn't have been a guy in a costume fighting wacky super villains.

If Urusei Yatsura was the first harem anime then harem anime would be about blatant perverts trying to score with a bunch of girls that don't like him. If Ranma 1/2 were the first harem anime it would be about a guy who loves X and wants all the girls to just leave him alone already (where X would be martial arts in Ranma's case). DNA^2 would have led to Hanaukyo Maid Tai and about nothing else I can think of. It simply didn't leave an impact.

Love Hina was copied ad nauseam from the start. Anything thereafter are minor tweeks to a winning formula, in other words it was a genre creator.

This right here was a huge influence to make moe more popular. I still remember watching it with Sup Forums 10 years ago and the board was swamped with it.

>youtube image
>tumblr filter
Oh boy.

Came here to say this, lucky star was to moe like meguca was to tragic/grimderp mahou shoujo. There were other entries before them but they were breakout hits that set new bars lots of people wanted to hop. Haruhi existed but was ita own thing. Azumanga was fucking huge but was not really emulated much, and LS popularized the scene meta/referential aspects that are super fucking common everywhere now.

>Love Hina
Does LH qualify as comfy?

If you don't like Japanese tropes and your tastes don't line up with Japanese tastes, don't watch Japanese media.

The thing to remember is that your opinion is utterly irrelevant. Anime isn't made for you. It's made for otaku. They, and only they, matter.