Solar panels

Are Soylar panels the soy of the renewable world?
>not very durable
>only works half the day(if even that)
>Doesn't provide much electricity anyway
>Works well in shithole areas like deserts or fly over states
>Doesn't even have a good carbon footprint
>Will have to rely on Chinese overlords who shill the fuck out of this. (Great you traded your Arab master for a Chinese one)

Can Soy panels even compete against Chad Nuke plants and Wind turbines?

tryhard

JEWNIGGER SLIDE THREAD FUCK OFF TO Sup Forums YOU SHAREBLUE SHITSKIN.

Not political. Mods please kill, and thanks for the many other stupid threads you slay daily.

>muh shareblue

Go back to t_d

This is kinda funny as im getting $45 an hour to install these atm.

Solar panels are not a meme, there's plenty of people living innawoods who power everything from them

I got some solar panels, saving about 1,500$ per year now with a 5.5kw system.

The savings aren't in the money you make exporting power.
The savings are in reducing the amount of electricity you have to buy from power companies.

This is especially good in the summer, I can afford to have my air conditioning on all day.

My quality of life has improved significantly and I'm paying for smaller bills than before.
It was 4,000$ well spent.

The payback is only around 3 years.
Great investment.

Most commercial panels are guaranteed to maintain 80-85% output after 20 years

Solar thermal, dude... solar thermal.

This.

The breaking point where people start going full solar will be when we get a decent battery breakthrough.

seattle solar pannels are a meme tho

You can expect an inverter to fail at around 10 years, depends on the quality, just got to account for it just in case.
I didn't get a tesla 2 meme battery yet because it doesn't pay for itself at this point.
Battery prices can be expected to drop in the future and yes that's when people can finally affordably go off grid solar and end those pesky daily supply charges from power companies.

It's all about the cost/benefit ratio, its not there yet for batteries and full off grid solution.

I cannot wait to give the power company the middle finger. They are all fucking vampires.

The real potential for solar is in molten salt, direct thermal plants, not in photo-voltaics. Unless you can genetically engineer a plant whose fruit is batteries.

Haven't both the American and Spanish ones performed well below their expected output?

Same, I really wanted to go full off grid but it doesn't make much economic sense yet.

I live in remote Alaska, fly in fly out type of deal, closest neighbors are ~120 miles away solar panels are literally the third most important factor in my existence next to my plane and wood stove. Couldn't live out here without them. They hold enough power in the batteries to run 6 LED light bulbs, several standard outlets, my kitchen appliances, water pumps and heater and entertainment system basically 24/7. I even have power in winter when sunlight is brief. Solar tech has come a long way and the Jew has inadvertently given the white man a means to exist apart from the system comfortably.

Pic related is my property

they are cheaper and safer
If you don't put them on your house you are either living in England or a moron

Off-grid fag here. Depending on energy usage, it's actually not that expensive to go off grid. Mind you, grid might still be cheaper, but to have grid connected costs thousands.
To give a rough idea, my power usage is very minimal. Basically I use:
- Laptop (~20 Watts)
- Monitor (~30 Watts)
- LED Light (~10 Watts)

My setup is as follows:
4 x 1KW AGM Battery (~$1000AUD)
6 x 250W Panels (~$1000AUD)
1 x Inverter/Charger (~$500AUD)

For me, in a bedroom (that is actually a shipping container) this is plenty adequate. Running a fridge might draw consumption overboard on a bad day, however. Water pumps use around 650W (for showering, etc), but a setup like mine should be able to handle this for 15-20mins a day (if done during sunlight). Heating the water has to be done by gas - don't even bother trying to heat anything with solar.

As others have said, it's the batteries that are not cost effective yet.

>Battery prices can be expected to drop in the future and yes that's when people can finally affordably go off grid solar
Yes, solar is in a lot of the world, still more expensive than staying attached to the centralized power distribution system.

However, a lot of the detractors who are so negative about solar and always point to the costs, fail to take into account non-financial benefits. Like not being attached/dependent on the fucking centralized power distribution system.

Being energy-independent is its own reward. How much do you value being energy-independent? What's that worth? It's different for every person, and for some people they value energy independence enough that they willingly pay more for it than energy from a centralized source.

There is no better power source for a guy who wants to live in the boonies flying under the radar than solar.

>water pumps and heater and entertainment system basically 24/7
>24/7
Here comes that meme again

Xylem D5 Solar

Pretty dope user. I'm looking at a 12 acre block and thinking of going off grid and banking on that by the time my batteries need replacing there will have been a better battery out.

How much KWH storage do you have?

I have prepper friends that stockpiles solar panels. He claims he has enough panels stored away to make energy for the next 25 years if shit hits the fan.

that sounds like a hoarder, not a prepper.

I agree i estimated it would cost me around 30,000$ to go fully off the grid in Australian pricing.
For now, my 4k investment is enough, I'll wait until batteries get cheaper.
The main benefit for me in terms of batteries is having a backup for blackouts.

I have a large house and family, my power requirements are much higher than a single bachelor living in a shipping container, so it's not viable for me but certainly makes sense for you.
Just the air conditioning alone draws too much daily power in summers.

He lives in a shipping container, it's very easy to heat/cool such a small area.

The difficulty is with storing it. Does your prepper friend realize this?

They are actually pretty cool for personal use.
Going off the grid or powering wireless outdoor devices pretty comfy.
Ever tried to write an MPPT algorithm or motor to track the sun for increased efficiency?

Wind turbines are a joke and not available to home users, they have to shutdown when the wind is too fast, and people who maintain them die because they have no tethers and get blown off.

Lab solar panels up to 44% efficient compered to average 21 ~ 25% efficiency. Solar is bretty cool can't wait for consumer available efficient panels and advancement in battery technology.

Why replace coal with solar? Just run them both for even more energy.

well, the line is blurry sometimes, but I think he was talking about lifespan. I'm reading most of the panels nowadays are rated for 10 years or so.

Wind turbines are absolutely not a joke if you live in a windy area. Otherwise yeah, they are pretty useless.

Probably not. Like most preppers, He's just a guy with a building.

Rated for 10 years, but the vast majority of panels installed 20-30 years ago are still cranking 75-80% of original efficiency.

I got a 2000 watt audio system though.

There is some debate about that.
Because they guarantee the panels free from defects for 10 years.
So within 10 years, they will give you a new panel if it fails.

The 20 year "performance" guarantee means that if your panels survives for 20 years, they guarantee they will still be generating at 80% efficiency.

If your solar panels die at year 11, they don't owe you anything.

These are two separate kinds of warranties

No everybody has (or wants) a 100000 square foot 10000 gallon 50000 BTU 50 foot home theater.

>I have a large house and family, my power requirements are much higher than a single bachelor living in a shipping container,
We do have another main shed-house that we power exclusively with solar. That one has 6x250W panels + 12x1.5KW 2V AGM batteries running at 24V (about $4.5K worth of batts).
This does four people okay if usage is minimal, but we don't have AirCon and plan on using wood heating.
My brother's a gamer - so his computer hammers the power. Around 400W just to power his machine which is easily more than the rest of us consume combined. So I see your point there - in any conventional up-bringing (with standard set of expectations), I don't think solar alone is easily feasible.
Probably PMPO, not RMS.
Expensive for the return on them. The good thing is they work at night time though.

>20 watt laptop
?????? Can it even turn on?

Now I'm curious. How would you store a bunch of panels?

there are virtually zero use cases where wind is better than solar unless you live in Nebraska and can afford to erect a 50 foot tower with an expensive and maintenance hungry turbine. Wind turbines are crazy efficient on a large scale but home wind is just not and will not ever be practical.

What is a battery bank retard? I have 6 very efficient led bulbs, an electric toaster and hot plate. The majority of my cooking is done on the wood stove. The water pump is run very rarely as the majority of my plumbing is gravity fed. my entertainment system is a laptop and satellite internet. It's more than enough to run my life you bozo, you couldn't exist in my shoes for a week if your life depended on it. The sun also stays up 24/7 in the summer dipshit.

8 panels drawing anywhere from 0.2 - 0.8 kWh depending on the season into a 10 kWh battery bank

Wouldn't call it a shipping container but a shipping container was used in its construction.

I may have understated. Pic related are the approximations I'm given.
Was referring to storing the energy. Panels are cheap, batteries cost a shitload and degrade quickly (AGM's discharge at a rate of about 5% a month if charge is not trickled in).

>62% battery capacity
Thinkpad fag. Still the best laptop I've ever owned, easily.

there's companies that sell EMP proof solar panels, at least he hasn't gone full retard

>living in a cuck shed to LARP in the woods.

Scotland here. Direct solar water heating into a 300L holding tank and PV on the garage. Paid for itself in 7 years.

what about doing a weight/water system to store energy?

Run excess power through a device to pump water or hoist weight up high. Then when you need power later, use gravity to run the water past a turbine or use the weight to spin a turbine and generate power.

You don't have to constantly replace batteries. Batteries are best for portable devices, since your house isn't going anywhere there are other energy storage options.

Pumped Hydro needs to be on a very large scale to be worth it and you need the right geographic location. A water tank will not cut it.

How much power do you need at night?

That's not the point.

>and Wind turbines
You were doing fine up until this point.

What about spring tension?
Cmon matey are you telling me there is no clever way to store enough energy for night time without constantly replacing batteries?

My panels paid for themselves within 3 years, anything else is a saving and I have never had a single broken panel.

People do do this. But, in our case, it just wasn't worth the capital to have it done. Asides from that gaymen PC (which gets night-time usage), we sustain ourselves fine.
Pump is only 650W and usually that doesn't run longer than 15mins per person. In full sunlight, you could run it continuously (it's just better to avoid drawing from the batteries directly).

Take the subsidy out of your calculations for a fairer comparison.

It's okay to be jealous. I'd rather have 5000 hectares of private property surrounding my "cuck shed" than a shitty two bedroom apartment. I have plenty of outbuildings, a workshop and a 1,700 sqft hangar. Guarantee the interior of my place is nicer than yours too, I put my own blood and sweat into it. Pic related are my ancestors, they came to this land over one hundred years ago to mine copper. This is my private part of the planet that no other person is entitled too, I am a man and I have a home even if I sleep in a "chuck shed", in sure you can't say the same. The only time I spend inside is cooking, bathing and sleeping, try getting out of your bedroom sometime bud. There's a whole big world out there.

A subsidy is usually half the cost.
So about 6-year payback in that case.
Still good.

Ever tried bringing a woman back there?

>le get outside nerd.
Ok cuck shed, I have 20 acres of land making me money and live in a normal person house.

Enjoy larping around in a poverty tier cuck shed to ''get in touch with your ancestors'' who would had given their arm to live in a normal house.
> The only time I spend inside is cooking, bathing and sleeping
You obviously don't if you are here posting and making LARP stories.

Their panties are wet the second they hop in the plane but I'm not ready to settle yet, I'll build a big cabin and finish setting up my hydro generator before I get married and have kids

Never shitpost while you're eating dinner? I'm having a moose steak. My ancestors did live in "normal" houses, see pic related. Bet you're a mongrel. If you're not I feel bad for you and your half wit hand held existence, you aren't existing to your full potential.

nuclear power is the chad of power.

Solar works just fine as long as you have a battery bank type system.

Pretty cool user.
>I'll build a big cabin and finish setting up my hydro generator before I get married and have kids
Agree with building the cabin before wife and kids. Finding a female that can actually live that lifestyle is difficult as is. I'm in an off-grid Facebook group and females still have that competitive "my off-grid living is better than your off-grid living" thing going on, so they still compete with each-other in that niche on what their man can provide them with.
Just make sure the cabin is a dignified enough place for her to live. She might want a hairdrier and that kind of shit too, so go a 48V inverter system so make sure you can handle it (24V will drop battery voltage too much).

What the fuck happened here

plus they are all made in china, so there are no quality standards or ratings indicating lifespan. may last a week, may last a year. who knows?

Time. There are spots like this all over the North.

This bro i just changed from mercury to a new company recently. They doubled my bill gradually over 2 years. I went from $240 a month down to $90 when i changed.

>don't even bother trying to heat anything with solar
Unless you use a direct solar method like black water bladder or black pvc or both.

This, they're just fine if you use minimal power and basically zero maintenance.

Tier 1 panels are rated, its a rating devised by banks to determine if solar panels are worth giving loans for.
So only Tier 1 is investment grade.
Tier 1 is usually a big manufacturer that has a proven track record and does its own RnD.

They've recently introduced a testing regime that is done by Germans as a way to prove their quality precisely for the reason you outlined, that Chinese is synonymous with cheap garbage.

They have to go that extra mile to prove quality.

Do the energy calculations. You would need a very large spring, and if it snapped it could kill. There's no getting around the laws of nature.

Much research is done in the subject.

>flag country.
>government still more interested in oil/gas energy for the future.

Fucking shithole.

Why does no one sell a 10-20KWH flywheel for home storage?

They need a vacuum, magnetic bearings, and they can literally explode. If the conversion chart I see is correct, 20 kwh would be .2 tons of TNT.

There's a reason they have limited application.

Thermal storage is one of the only batteries that can relatively cheaply store energy on this scale.

Can you tariffs on Chinese solar panels?

>Are Soylar panels the soy of the renewable world?

Yes, Nuclear power is the real red pill

Annual flooding and a fire in 1936

My solar panels have been working flawlessly for 20 years. I also have a wind turbine too. No issues at all. No regrets.

same power output?

This is one of my dream jobs because like the chinks I seek to gain skills not just $. How would I go about becoming a solar panel installer?

I'd say it depends on where you live but ya Australians and anyone in any HEARTLAND states don't say flyover states that's a kike derogatory term should get them if you have sun. San Fran fags are just booty bothered that it doesn't work in the fog.

Good news is that we just put a tariff on Chinese solar products. Now we're not going to be dependent on cheap shit the chinks dump so they can get everyone else dependent on it.

Say "thanks president Trump"

Tesla will start selling their home battery pack 2 at Home Depot soon. That may work better than the AGM batteries.

Look into NiFe batteries. The tech is 100 years old and takes up an ass ton of space, but it works and it's a one time cost

We got solar panels on our roof and a smart meter that tells us exactly how much energy they generate (and how much this is reducing our electricity bill by).

It'll take us over 20 years to break even on the solar panels.

1kw solar and 1,500w Bergy wind generator. 20 years old and still works like new today. Set it up myself.

Here's a pic of it.

Here's the diagram.

When I first saw your house thought it was in WA, are you in the Badlands user? Either way, your life is cool. Mad jelly.

Q predicted this

How well does the dump load do for heating the water tank? Been thinking about doing that in combination with evacuated solar tubes and wetback fire, but with 5-10KW solar.

>Be OP
>Go into city for first time in three moons
>Go to bar to meet grill
>"Hey, get in this plane so I can fly us into the middle of the woods"
>Gets rejected
>Shitposts on Sup Forums about rape cabin in the woods