What's the American Identity?

So a new take on the "Who's not white?" threads. Should very recent immigrants (i.e. 2nd/3rd generation) take pride in the traditions and culture of the American revolution. Or would such people be more comfortable embracing the culture of their homeland. Example:

>One set of grandparents from Finnish Karelia, the other from Sweden.
>Working understanding of Swedish from childhood
>Enthralled by the founding fathers and pre-jacksonian America

Discuss!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UdhxL9r9hkg
youtube.com/watch?v=KcJDWa_pA4c
youtube.com/watch?v=U3syulBjkng
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>thinly veiled jidf "you're not white thread"

I should add that here in America, people that LARP as Irish or Swedes or whatever seem really cringey, and so it's hardly an option for most people to embrace their traditions in a meaningful way

Not at all, nowhere did I say anyone is or isn't white, I am simply curious if celebrating the founding fathers is comparable to 6th generation Irish going to Dublin and trying to fit in

Pepe in the mirror

Thanks

>i am half italian therefore I have to eat pasta everyday and worship the pope
>i'm quarter german that means I have to eat sausages and listen to bach everyday
>I'm 5/956ths british, that means I like tea and play cricket every weekend

So do you would say that it is perfectly acceptable for a recent immigrant to promote the ideals of early America? Or do you reject indentitarianism

Some people still have family that visit the old country and families that keep customs and traditions passed on through the ages.

Excellent, glad the "_____ aren't white!!!" threads get thousands of replies but this one gets a Nazi shitposter

Exactly, so should someone who is immersed in that culture from childhood cling onto those or be allowed to fixate on early America, even though his family was not present?

>what's the American identity

Early-Modern american identity was as clear as most European identities of the time

Another d&c thread. Amazing

I mean if by d&c thread you mean starting a debate about an actually debatable question rather than "I'LL TELL YOU WHO'S HUWHITE" then yes.

I hate when people like trump, pretend to be real Americans when he's basically a second generation immigrant. We Wuzzing colonial American heritage is rampant among white Americans, whom are mostly comprised of Ellis islanders.

Okay so you would say its better for Ellis Islanders to focus on the old country rather than colonial America?

Good catch. That's creepy

no, we should focus on a shared euro-american identity. Allowing whites to believe they are descendants of colonials or later american is necessary to build this identity for people already for generations and the children of future european immigrants.

Whether it's jidf or not this is a good thread

So reconciling the Old country with the original America is a better approach than either extreme? What about in cases where the old country is drastically different from OG America?

I think its a good question, it needs to be asked at some point.

I am far and away not a jew. Nor do I have any strong love for them

Or it means that you are pan-european and the inheritor of Rome because of the Republican system and Jeffersonian culture.

In a historical sense. It's cringey when people talk about and appropriate American history by saying this is like "WE". "We" bear the british, "We wuz colonist and shieet", no nigger u were a starving flea bitten peasant in Europe when all that was going on.

If you're 2nd generation, you aren't an immigrant and you've assimilated to the culture (if, of course, you are in fact white). Immigrants should take pride in the culture of their homeland but should also assimilate to the American culture. They will positively add to the culture of this country by doing so (unless they aren't white). This was all figured out by the time JFK got elected. It was a big crazy thing that a Catholic got elected, but he was very pro-America, and got assassinated for it.

It's a stupid question. Europeans have moved around all through history and integrated into different populations. It implies that this is unique to America when it is also common in Europe as well.

I never said you were. My point was that this is a good thread, and that if russiaball guy was correct then you'd be doing a shitty job of derailing.

Americans should first and foremost take pride in being American, and in our American history. If that speaks to new white immigrants, then all the better. If not, then GTFO
Americans can secondarily take pride in their ethnic origins as English or whatever. Going to a Celtic Festival in America isn't any more cringey than modern Swedes going to a Viking Festival.

Why an American go to a Celtic festival?

Kennedy was honestly not that great

I was thinking about starting a thread to ask the question: Is there anyway to be a pagan and not be just a loser LARPing?

America as founded was mostly for anglo-saxons, but the Framers were clearly fine with anyone who was a white european and would abide by the principles of the constitution. In this day and age, especially with how few of the "White European" race left worldwide, I don't think it's especially wise to drive that division deeper. Also the United States has tons of great history, culture, and stories (Our naval history is incredibly well preserved, the only major type of ship we don't have at least one of is pre-dreadnoughts) American philosophy, writers, and scientists have actually been very successful.

Even our government is not irredeemable, and with only a handful of changes could be become incredible once again.

For you specifically or in general?

In general most americans dont know their heritage and as such they adopted a defato american (now consumerist) culture, accepting any us history as most likely being their own.

I think its great that you love our history and respect it , honestly ive met few immigrants to america who havent outright said to me that they hate my nation and its history (im proudly irish and german as well as a son of the revolution) . I think you should hold onto your heritage and traditions of course but you should also adopt ours. America is not just the colonies, its a living thing, moving through time, so although you may not be connected to the heritage , you can become connected to it moving on. Eventually if you have kids their culture and ours will meld and become that thing we know of as american.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense

>american revolution
>1776
>30 years 1 generation
>minimum 7 generations
>all ME would be ”ottoman”
Stay forever mutt please

I'm not saying he's a god-like president like Jackson but he stood against the CIA, the Federal Reserve Bank, and the Industrialist class that got us into WW2. Many would say that he would've passed the Civil Rights Acts and Hart Seller but it was his FBI that was investigating MLK for being communistic, and we know that JFK was against the CIA, so by proxy he would put more trust in the FBI. I'm not saying I know he would've vetoed that shit but it was LBJ who was playing off of Kennedy's legacy to pass those bills, not Kennedy himself.

Unironically, most americans follow mike rowe's hard work rule.

Many americans are of irish descent. Same reason I go to Oktoberfest each year.

The american identity is mostly a meme if you dont understand deep political philosophy ideas that the founding fathers of USA and french revolution spawned

20 years at the most is one generation, sven. Women in the 1800s were having children at age 12.

>deep political philosophy ideas
>Liberty
>Personal Property
>Land ownership
>t. 70 IQ

why are swedeposters so mean. Im sorry we broke you swedeposter, it was because we loved you.

I tend to align more as a traditionalist. Modern American culture distresses me. I think that's why some people turn to the old country. But I recognize that the early modern Americans had an amazing idea and an excellent culture, one I would fight tooth and nail to return, even though my family was not around to see it.

If you're if Irish descent and not of american(colonial white+native+ colonial african) descent, then you're not really American.

I'm actually the OP, my grandfather and grandmother tried to get me to adopt Swedish customs but I wasn't really into it as much. Don't you think it'd be LARPy?

By not giving a shit what other people think about you.

There is a more practical effect, most pagans I have met want to present an alternative to mainstream belief systems. How can one make the ideal of paganism visible without it being cringey and scaring away converts?

American cultire is Jewish. Pre-1960s, there was some semblance of a united culture, but now, we are basically Weimar 2.0.

Ideally, yes, they should take pride in America's traditions and culture, but still keep some of their own celebrations on the side. But that's not what happens. They just replace the traditional America with a new "America 2: The Ethnic Boogaloo".

This rule applies to everything. If you have a football team full of white guys, replace it with a bunch of black guys, pretty much EVERYTHING about the rituals, cultures and day-to-day interactions amongst the team will change. Or how ghetto neighbors just magically get better (safer, cleaner, prettier) when whites/Asians gentrify them.

The America as we know it is basically Pan-Europa, anything post the 1970's starts to lean into Pan-Globalia, which is a totally different beast.

youtube.com/watch?v=UdhxL9r9hkg
youtube.com/watch?v=KcJDWa_pA4c

Do beautiful things for the holidays.

I am though, directly descended from a revolutionary. All colonials are descended from europeans. I still have family in germany even if I dont know them. I have a great aunt who could speak gaelic. The colonials didnt just pop up out of nowhere. Natives really dont see themselves as american, and africans really dont share our same outlook on history, its largely negative to those groups, enough so that they dont really consider themselves american in the same sense we do.

Americans who are aware of their heritage rarely abandon their european heritage, it compliments their american culture. For example im trying to learn gaelic to reconnect with my heritage.

Our founding fathers were great philosophers that even the Irish in Ireland should respect. Also, they don't leave Ireland to go to another ireland.

Well the people who call pagans larpers are usaully boomer christcucks. their opinion is worthless as they themselves larp more than anyone else.

My grandmother used to chase us around the barn screaming in german when we were kids fucking with the cows. This is rural north dakota. We still speak german.

The question was regarding the American Founding Fathers.

Do you realize how many ancestors one has going back that far. If most of your ancestors were already in America, there is no way you would be identifiably ethnically Irish at this point you would look like some form of mutt. The most deeply rooted Americans tend to look muttish.

Well, european paganism is based around myths and legend, everyone loves that stuff cuz its cool and not boring psalms. Present it like how an adult would, tell only if asked and provide info as needed and compare its practices to other religions. All religions pray, all religions have rituals, all religions have stories from the past with impossible things.

I believe ya, i grew up near amish country, great people.

WHY ARE THEY ALLOWING THE FLAG TO TOUCH THE FLOOR!!!

>t. city nigger
Go to any rural area around this beautiful country and you'll find resemblance to the old world. Both in tradition and attitude.

celtic and german standard template reporting in. I think the american identity is the mentality that created 1776

they were true populists. i feel quily when i lose faith in my fellow man and think of those two...

youtube.com/watch?v=U3syulBjkng

You are absolutely wrong. The American identity is having family here for 400 years, valuing self sufficiency and independence. It is mostly Protestant. You wouldn't get it, but I do because I am a true blooded American and I can see it in others as well.
And anyway, the Swedish identity is a total meme. Swedes are really just Germans who decided to become snow niggers. Sometimes a Swede is really just a Finn in denial.

Some of the first settlers were Scots Irish specifically.
God you people are really ignorant and trying to boss Americans around. Fuck off.

I am disgusted at the sheer lack of interpretation of the Yank identity. No understanding of history or what was fought for
Brotherhood, liberty, bravery, never giving up, always fighting to the last man, ready to die for the very ideals of those who fought for them in the first place.
We fought not to be slaves, not to live under the hands of tyranny, not to be burdened with unnecessary government interference, not to be told how to live our lives, not to be told by someone who we did not elect to fight and die in wars we have no business in. We fought so the ideas of 'Natural Law', the rules and rights given to us by the king of kings God Almighty could find a home to live and prosper in. Free from this idiotic idea of 'Divine Right of Kings' and free from the idea that a monarch or a king or queen can make better life decisions than us.
The Founding Fathers gave us this nation as a way for people to flourish or fail on their own merit.

You realize that back in the old days, whole villages in Europe would clear out and move to America, right? Old Americans don't look muttish, they look like a type of European that doesn't live in Europe any more.

My family came here from Gibraltar. Spanish wasn't allowed in the house and we anglicized our name. That is American Identity, nigger. Rejecting your European ethnic identity to become a white man in the U.S.A. That is American Identity and everything else is a bullshit pastiche.

American indentity has not existed for easily 60 years, although it used to be somewhat concrete. Letting in literally all of Europe can do that to a country, now we've got Italians fapping over a bunch of Protestant Englishman who would've hate them.

Either act american in america or get the fuck out

It differs depending on region. New England has always been very white, so I guess a deeply rooted American from there would still look European, but anywhere south of new York is going to be more of a mash-up.

>What's the American Identity?
In ye olde days it was the constitution, hating on Britain, and not being a fucking nigger.

a nation of buider that any limit must be break and dominate ,practical over theory ,work ethick ,a new begining at least until 60s
Americans were the practica manifestation of all the ideas in europe over 1000 years in the incubator ,the best example of succes ......until 60s