The Mystery of a Haruhi Suzumiya

Can someone please explain the appeal of Haruhi-ism?

I watched the show and was bored to tears by the low animation quality. Yes, some individual frames were well done by Kyoto Animation, but it felt like a slideshow half the time. I watched anime in the 2006-2008 timeframe and I don't get the appeal. Can someone clue me in without being mean? I wanted to like the show...

>Can someone please explain the appeal of Haruhi-ism?
there is no appeal left

A message from another time.

You being 10 years late is the easy explanation.

What WAS the appeal, then?

You want a somewhat serious reply, I'll give ya one.

Haruhi is up there right alongside NGE, FLCL, Ramna,and a select few others as the most important and influential anime of its time, that being the mid to late aughts

Sup Forums during 2006 was unlike anything seen before (at least until Code Geass)

So what's the big deal? The series features probably the best protagonist in the history of the medium. The show was remarkably intelligent, funny, and featured one of the best casts in history.

The series was done in internally by the endless 8 saga, but was redeemed by the all-time classic Disappearance movie.

The impact and reverberations from this show is still felt today, and it damn near influenced EVERY show that came after.

I haven't rewatched it since 2006 but I've watched a few clips since then, and what I noticed is that it's just really well presented and edited. There's just a good rhythm between cuts, and despite mostly run-of-the-mill shots and dialogue, you get the feeling something big is lurking beneath the surface. Having Kyon narrate most of it was also a great choice. Haruhi just did a lot of things we take for granted now.

I don't know how you can be bored watching it. Maybe you prefer tits and swords flying around every 5 seconds.

I thought it was nothing special too, maybe the endless eight meme made it popular who knows.

kyon is cool

also haruhi movie was amazing, definitely levels above the show, so watch that

endless eight was S2, haruhism was a thing before s2

As said already, Haruhi was a HUGE thing wayyyyy before Endless 8

Some other things that come to mind when it comes to our lord and savior's phenomenon:

-The whole episodes being out of chronological order helped fester the feel of what the hell is happening

-With it being a multi-layered story, the whole "figuring this out as we go" was about as fun a time as Sup Forums ever had

-the first episode in particular was so far out there, and so bizarre that anybody watching fansubs back then was IMMEDIATELY alerted to this weird show

-soundtrack was great, and featured God Knows, an all-time classic

-Featured some of the best VA's ever, EVER EVER!

-by the end of 2006, if you were a fan of anime, SOS Brigade and Haruhi was EVERYWHERE

This.

why are newfags making threads shitting on every classic show we like?

It was a meme anime basically.

t. meme user

You're a meme user

People who say Haruhi is bad are having the Seinfield effect is all.

Even I watched it very late to the party, as late as 2011, and I can appreciate the show's level of polish and usage of more "camera" angles in animation that made it so fun.

Also at the time the animation was incredible to the point where it influenced every anime after it to have better animation.

I just got baited really hard, didn't I?

Not the same user, but he has a point. It's hard to deny the number of memes it spawned such as Hare Hare Yukai reenactments, Haruhiism, Endless 8, etc.

But it didn't try to meme, it got memed.

>seinfeld effect
it's okay user, it is good for us because that way the shit fans will get filtered out and we will be left with the best fans to enjoy the show with

I hope someday we will be left with the best fans to enjoy the LN with.

Isn't spawning memes good rather than bad?

Most successful/popular/fun to watch anime spawn a lot of memes.

The big meaning of Haruhi is that being a normal fag isn't that bad and can be rewarding. At the start of the show Haruhi is upset with life at the start of the show she thinks it's because she hasn't found anything special in her life (To her special is something supernatural or different from the norm). Because of this she pushes away people because she believes that because there not special there not worth her time She's like this when high school starts then Kyon enters the picture. Kyon is the first person to have a good normal conversation with Haruhi and he continues to talk to her every day. This creates a bond between the two and Haruhi realizes that just because somethings normal doesn't make it special. She realizes that her frustration or perhaps 'Melancholy' as it where was caused because she lacked the human connections that people need

And a bunch a other shit but that's the main theme of Haruhi down to its core

Is this a shitpost? Haruhi is garbage. By best protagonist do you mean Kyon, who doesn't have any personality, or Haruhi, who doesn't have any redeeming qualities? The cast is entirely made up of shallow cliches already established by other shows. The only unique thing Haruhi has going for it is that it's a clusterfuck that takes the worst parts of several genres and utilizes none of the strengths.
It uses science fiction as windowdressing but has no unique ideas and nothing to say.
The episodes aired in a random order but there's very little character development so it doesn't matter at all and aside from some vague references to past episodes it changes absolutely nothing.

The difference is Seinfeld has substance. Haruhi influenced everything after in a bad way, it's the reason we have so many cancerous moeblob shows where nothing happens.

It's a waste of good animation and you have awful taste. People like you are what killed anime.

I want Sup Forums to leave.

>Isn't spawning memes good rather than bad?

Of course it's good, but if one reason the fanbase was kept alive is because of memes, then it's not exactly wrong to call it a "meme anime"

Why even bother calling it that, that has a very derogatory tone to it and makes people not wanna make OC for anime.

I fucked up
>just because somethings normal dosent make it special

Its meant to be just because somethings normal doesn't mean it isn't special

>Kyon, who doesn't have any personality,
Stopped reading here, any anyone else should too.

>The big meaning of Haruhi is that being a normal fag isn't that bad and can be rewarding
It's also the other way around, trying to fit in so hard you lose your creativity and imagination like Kyon usually does isn't fulfilling.

It's pretty telling how Kyon ends up being the supernatural loving guy while Haruhi becomes the more grounded person after the series, but I guess some people need every bit of development spelled out for them.

>Its meant to be just because somethings normal doesn't mean it isn't special
Also this, since Haruhi was looking to be absolutely unique at the beginning of the series which fucked her life in many ways.

The only relevant meme nowadays is the E8, but it's not really Haruhi at this point, just the ebin endless summer.

Without Haruhi, 99% of TV anime today wouldn't be light novel adaptations and magic high school shows wouldn't exist. Newfags can't hope to understand its importance

>It's also the other way around, trying to fit in so hard you lose your creativity and imagination like Kyon usually does isn't fulfilling.
Yes it's what makes disappearance great Kyon starts off thinking that being perfectly normal is fine and that the SOS brigade is just Haruhi being insane but without realizing it Kyon goes to the clubroom everyday and when confronted with the choice to go back to a perfectly normal life he refuses realizing that in the end he had fun and the SOS brigade members are all people he'll never forget for one reason or another

Bingo, watched this when it came out and things changed rather quickly.

Can't wait for 'GITS is so BORING it's just pretentious trash for normies