This was recently brought to my attention

This was recently brought to my attention.
In episode 12 of Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon, when Lucoa turns up at the door clad in a hoodie, the subtitles read:
>What's with that outfit?
>Everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?
>You should try changing your body next.

There have been no complaints about these translations, and they fit the characters perfectly. Lucoa has become concerned about to attention she gets but we get nothing more specific than that. Tohru remains critical of her over-the-top figure and keeps up the 'not quite friends' vibe between them.

But what do we get in the dub? In parallel:
>What are you wearing that for?
>Oh those pesky patriarchal societal demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes
>Give it a week, they'll be begging you to change back

It's a COMPLETELY different scene. Not only do we get some political language injected into what Lucoa says (suddenly she's so connected to feminist language, even though her not being human or understanding human decency is emphasized at every turn?); we also get Tohru coming on her 'side' against this 'patriarchy' Lucoa now suddenly speaks of and not criticizing her body at all. Sure, Tohru's actual comment in the manga and Japanese script is a kind of body-shaming, but that's part of what makes Tohru's character. Rewriting it rewrites Tohru herself.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q="In episode 12 of Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon, when Lucoa turns up at the door clad in a hoodie, the subtitles read"
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't think it's a coincidence that this sort of thing happened when the English VA for Lucoa is the scriptwriter for the dub overall, Jamie Marchi. Funimation's Kyle Phillips may also have a role as director, but this reeks of an English writer and VA using a character as their mouthpiece, scrubbing out the 'problematic' bits of the original and changing the story to suit a specific agenda.*

This isn't a dub. This is fanfiction written over the original, for the remarkably niche audience of feminists. Is this what the leading distributors of anime in the West should be doing?

As a feminist myself, this really pisses me off.

>giving a shit about dubs

This shit has happened a few times recently, dub companies have gotten worse recently.

>dub companies have gotten worse recently
Is that even possible?
I thought they were already rock-bottom.

It was recently brought to my attention that you've recreated a thread that was just deleted.

Shit-eaters deserve the most rancid shit possible.

>watching the dub

Normalfags and SJWs deserve nothing but shit.

proofs?

Is this actually real?

And you copy-and-pasted the entire post from Reddit.

There is the "don't slut shame me" Kobayashi says to Kana on episode 2.

This is a pasta from reddit's r/anime board. Mods please delete this garbage. OP if you want to make a thread about this shit try to be original about it.

Only a redditors would know that.

Or anyone who Googles any specific sentence in the OP.

google.com/search?q="In episode 12 of Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon, when Lucoa turns up at the door clad in a hoodie, the subtitles read"

No, I always google thread OPs like this one.

>other thread gets deleted
>make the thread again with a copypasta straight from reddit
Incredible.

They warned you over the Prison School fiasco, They're clearly shoving their thoughts into the dubs without a care in the world.

But dubs are shit anyone so who really cares honestly.

Remember when Prison School made fun of gamergate even though the show was literally about tits and male gaze?

Who... Who was that for?

>VA
Can it really be called voice acting when you're just reading the script in your normal voice?

They are slowly killing the dub industry if this goes on.

Is this intentional so that Marvel & Co. won't get steamrolled?