Watching Anime illegaly

SO....

What do you guys think about this?

Is watching releases on streaming site "illegal"?
Is downloading subbed version on HorribleSubs "illegal"?

Personally, i think that if they down want people to watch it online, they should make it either more available to people outside of Japan or just dont charge 30 bucks for 3 episodes

I´f i´d wait for BD´s to be realeased here in germany i´d have to wait for months, sometimes even years. we dont even get all of them here.
And since german dub is gruesome, i cant even begin to watch that without thinking about suicide.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jccF_zPus6M?t=4m48s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is watching releases on streaming site "illegal"?
>Is downloading subbed version on HorribleSubs "illegal"?
Not where I live.

Nips watch anime for free on TV
Im just leveling the playing field
Paying to watch anime is retarded and anticonsumer

Nah, they can go fuck themselves. They chose to ignore the western market for decades, and have cultivated the Jap market to fucking absurd price points. Let them burn.

Why does neither the stupid idiot that wrote this piece nor the anime "insider" know what a torrent is?

>ellipses
>reddit spacing
The best way to watch anime is download fansubs and buy BDs/official merch. Paying any western subscription services is a waste and doesn't help anime at all. They should have never raised BD prices again after they lowered them, it's expensive as fuck to pay $250 just on BDs for a seasonal show.

It doesn't hurt anything if you pirate anime.

You know, if there was a SmartTV app à la Netflix that allowed you to watch subbed anime as they air in Japan, I'd watch it legally. I'd even be willing to pay for it, if the price isn't ridiculous (somewhere south of €15 a month).

Get to work on it, Crunchyroll. Do it in multiple languages (subbing isn't that hard, right?) and you can reach normies around the world for profit.

I don't consider watching airing anime as illegal, because there are many free legal methods of watching it in Japan.

However, streaming past shows is definitely illegal. Buy that shit or pay like everyone else has to in order to watch them legally.

The downloading I do nets no-one any advertising revenue, so no pirates profit from me. I buy DVDs and Blu-rays of the shows I like - which is quite a bit, actually, so the industry does see income from what I watch.

And if I can't download or otherwise sample for free, there's not a chance I'm shelling out the high price they're asking.

Or adblockers for that matter

>Paying any western subscription services is a waste and doesn't help anime at all.
It kind of does, assuming the service is legal. Those involved in Japan get paid royalties, right? Perhaps not as much as when you'd buy the BDs straight from Japan, but that's a Japanese problem considering they're not interested in foreign markets at all (unless it's shit like Dragonball). And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to blow a hundred dollaridoos on a single fucking BluRay that only has two episodes on it and maybe a five minute bonus clip. That's a business model I just can't get behind.

If you want to support the creators, buy merchandise. FLCL and Gurren-Lagann were funded on the sales of Asuka figurines.

It's easier to convince people to buy merchandise than overpay for shitty low episode BD's they actually can't physically own because it's easily reproducible and digital IP. Crunchy is shit too.

Kemono Friends is a horrible anime to stand on the pulpit and condemn anime pirates to fire and brimstone. It was made on a shoestring and massively exceeded expectations due to meme status. Without the ability to pirate the anime fewer people would have got on board.

Buying a $5 piece of merch from japan helps the series infinitely more than paying 100 years CR subscription

>Those involved in Japan get paid royalties, right
Don't let CR and the rest of those scum fool you. The creators get fucking nothing. Buying a single shirt is worth infinitely more.

>What do you guys think about this?
Fuck 'em. Every last one of 'em.

>anime DVD and Blu-ray sales have declined by 6.1% since 2015 in Japan

But I was never part of the demographic that bought DVDs and Blu-rays in the first place, so I shouldn't be blamed for their decline in the first place by torrenting anime.

Without piracy I would've never gotten into anime in the first place. And this would've been true for others as well.
The hype and fanbase around certain shows would've small to non-existent, leading to less people discovering and watching these shows. And some of these people might have been legitimate viewers.

Sure not all people end up buying stuff related to the show, but that's not the point. The point is that you probably gained more than you lost.
I'm sure Horriblesubs has gained CR more subscriptions than is has cost them.

Even I have bought manga after watching certain shows. Something I certainly would not have done if it wasn't for piracy.

I understand that they can't outright approve of piracy. But stop making it out to be this big boogeyman that's killing the industry. They should just silently condone it.

In short, piracy is like advertisement. Ads cost money and piracy leads to losses, but for both of them you gain more than you lose.

>fuck´em

They wouldn't get any money from me anyway whether or not I pirate. Not at the price they're charging and not for crunchy roll's translation quality.

Any ideas to destroy CR?

Like masive rip-offs or something like that

>even thinking about watching your chinese cartoons "legally" after all these exclusivity bullshit with Fate/Apocrypha and other shows

Also to add, I used to buy anime merch from Amiami a few years ago, but the import tax fees is too big (sometimes adding more than half the expense of what I bought) so I had to stop doing it eventually.

tv isn't free but i get what you're saying

Buying one figure puts more into the industry than years of CR. And if you pay Funimation for anything they offer you're only empowering them to sell BD with SJW dubs and streams with eye cancer contrast and bitrates; and all funi does is toss chump change for licences.

Anime is an advertisement for manga and merch
If you pay for anime you are paying to see an ad.
Think about that for a single second

I come from the online pirate capital of the world. Their pleas are meaningless. This is who we are now.

Because of the TPP, they have to proactively attack pirates or lose the right to their IP. So they're obligated to say shit.

Except that is fucking retarded because if ads were anime I wouldn't use adblock.

So how does this model work in the West? Why are Nip studios allowing themselves to get only chump change for their material? Is there some sort of pressure or do they really care this little about the Western market? (if it's the latter, then it's not really my problem. They're quite literally asking for it).

>Funimation SJW dubs
Fucking hell, don't get me started.
>Kobayashi whining about slut shaming
>That retarded jab at Gamergate in Prison School of all shows, the show that lives and dies with the "male gaze"

I would pay and watch Crunchyroll.
But they don't allow streaming in my country.
So fuck them.
I will use HorribleSubs.

My piracy doesn't matter, the Chinks have such massive shit taste their streaming revenue can probably keep anime afloat for at least another decade or two.

Resurrect Genghis Khan and convince him to conquer all the islands in southeast asia

That is CR's stronghold. Not the West.

Does buying anime on steam give revenue to the creators? I'd wager it's more benificial than paying for a subscription.

The thing is, I want offline access to the unencrypted video file, to play at my own choice of player, renderer and interpolator. Since there is no legal service that offers this (besides waiting for overpriced and, more indigning, underpacked storage-wise blu-rays), then piracy is the only service that grants me my requests.

I mean, piracy is so easy and streamlined that even if a legal service offered that I still wouldn't pay for it, but that's not the point.

>Perhaps not as much as when you'd buy the BDs straight from Japan
The problem is that companies don't count overseas sales. They literally remove them from Orcon. Any company that ships overseas, like CDJapan and Amazon, etc submits that it was sent overseas so that it doesn't count.

Sure, it does mean that money is changing hands, but when companies look at Orcon to gauge sales all the overseas sales don't come into it.

So if you really want to support anime you have to come to Japan and buy your stuff here, or have it bought by a proxy so it will count as being purchased in Japan.

Well they are only pissing people off doing it.
Suddenly I dont feel like ever buying any kemonoshit stuff of any kind

I stopped feeling bad for the anime industry when they blocked foreigners from buying the YOI bds. It's ridiculously popular outside Japan, and they still don't want our money so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

>tries to watch anime legally with CR
>country blocked

Yeah nah I'll stick to buying plastic butts for support.

Something is better than nothing for now, CR got a lot more faggots into anime, then the Nips will probably take it over by announcing their own services and shit like KyoAni Store. For now they are just kind of taking a loss for exposure in the west because they know very little people will pay what they're asking for BDs.
>buying anime on steam
This might actually be the absolute worst way to buy anime. Even worse than CR/Funi. There is absolutely zero "benefits" other than your friends list sees you're watching anime and the only people who would care about that are otacool faggots. The creators don't see shit and you don't even own it after you buy it. You're paying to rent it that you can only access online.

Thats even worse than CR

That's not unusual at all though.

The thing is that the money from royalties and the such generally go into companies that then fund the creation of anime series. So while your money doesn't go to the makers, it could mean that they will continue to have jobs.

The same goes for any anime purchases you make. Almost all the profits go into companies that fund anime series, the studios themselves get paid out for the show and don't get percentages of sales unless they actually hold some rights to the IP.
This does mean that usually whether the anime succeeds or flops doesn't matter in the short term to the studio itself, because they received their payment anyway. In the long term it could because they could lose contracts due to being shit.

>fuck those gaijins even if they give us money they dont count, only japanese genes can assert the quality of anime and only their opinion matters!
This is the kind of racism I can get behind. I love it.

I usually pirate anime and buy the manga of series that I really like. Fuck blu-ray. Way too expensive for a such a shit product. Their fault for making anime pretty inaccessible for years and years in the west; they really need to change their entire distribution model. Same way I feel about trying to keep up with sports without a cable subscription, fuck em.

I am morally content with my method. I watch as much shit as I want for free then buy hundreds of dollars of figures, merch, and BDs every month.

Sounds like you haven't seen Lucoa complaining about the patriarchy.

link for the kobayashi stuff?

FUNimation has prearranged agreements to companies to license batches of anime at low cost. Since FUNi is basically a monopoly, it can dictate the price and the nips either have to take it or leave it.

It guarantees the nips some money, versus the old system where companies would bid against each other for the top anime of the season but ignore other things. The old system was bad because companies would overbid for shows that sold poorly (like Geneon with Fate/stay night) or botch the release schedule so they wouldn't participate in the next season's shows without leveraging themselves. ADV, Geneon had a lot of debt when they died as did Bandai Entertainment (which borrowed from its parent Bandai USA). Because they would mortage their future to license new anime ahead of other companies, without investing the time to actually promote/release older things. The internet moved too fast for them and tastes faded fast.

>you don't even own it after you buy it. You're paying to rent it that you can only access online.
Is CR different? I thought it was basically weeb netflix, which is exactly what you are describing.

So, I could:

1. Just buy BD/DVDs off rightstuf

Watching shows from last year/two years ago and pay $200+ a year for the right to watch 4 shows

2. Subscribe to 4 streaming services and Netflix

Still have to wait on netflix shows and pay over $400 a year to have the right to watch 20 shows a year I'd actually like and 50 I never will.

3. Keep doing what I'm doing and watch all the shows I want.

lol some choice.

If I could watch proper HD anime on television, with subtitles, I would. CR is crap quality and depends too much on DL speed.

If studios want gaijinbux, they should provide an incentive. For example, subtitles. How much could it cost to hire some undergrad with a decent grasp of English to half-ass a sub? It's not like fansubs are much better. It's already an expensive product, made more expensive by shipping, which could be damaged or confiscated during travel. The people watching anime illegally are largely the people that have no good reason to watch it legally.

I have a premium crunchy roll account. If it's not on crunchyroll I'm going to steal it. Get fuckt.

youtu.be/jccF_zPus6M?t=4m48s

the other problem i have with the pricy anime industry is that you just have nothing of it here in the west.

Beucase society doesnt think its "okay"

Either you are an "autistic manchild who watched japanese comic shows for children"
OR
"An autistic manchild who like "hentai tentacle rape" shit japanese comic"

Thats also a reason to just watch it online. the only times normal store sell anime stuff is when a hype goes on with pokemon. that was the only real reason animestuff was sold here at the last few years

>reddit bastardization of weeb
Stop posting this shit. CR is practically the same, they are both garbage. Buy BDs or official merch, there is no better way.

Many people would actually buy BDs outside of Japan if they weren't so expensive. But apparently the anime industry over there is already structured in such a way that lowering prices would reduce profits, at least for the production committee.

>The people watching anime illegally are largely the people that have no good reason to watch it legally.
Or far more frequently, people that have no access to legal ways of watching at all. Americans and Europeans at least have the excuse of Crunchyroll and other sites, those which don't have access to said sites are usually out of luck.

american """"""""seiyuu"""""""" sound disgusting, bet they are all 300lbs fujoshi hambeasts

>PESKY PATRIARCHAL SOCIETAL DEMANDS
Is this the same Lucoa Kobayashi earlier criticized for having an "unrealistic" body? This show is actually reflective of real world feminism: feminists are criticizing feminists for not being feminist enough.

Fucking hell, my penis crawled back up into my body out of rage.

It's probably because they don't want overseas sales to skew what would be a good anime to fund in the future, which makes sense. They are targeting the local market. They're not trying to sell to us, we are just a bonus on the side.

Like I said, money is still changing hands, we are still moving product, but when they look at the sales they want to know how it is doing in Japan.

>patriachy
>these voices

GOD FUCK GAS ENGLISH DUB VOICE ACTORS ALLTOGETHER

If they don't want to try to sell to us, then we have no reason to buy their product.

>make anime difficult to access if you aren't apart of mainland Japan
>the only way to easily access anime is through pirating or otherwise
>not even a majority of anime is covered by sub services

When I can conveniently as a Westerner get my anime medium in a method other than pirating it easily, that is well marketed, and essentially the same quality as the nips, then I will pay. Til then, the west aren't responsible for the downfall of 6.1% of sales, that's Japan's fault for ignoring the market outside of Japan and not creating an accessible medium for us.

there's no "free tv" in Japan user

Can I get some Kemono Friends reaction images?

Want to make it even worse? The one complaining about the "patriarchy" is a pedophile who can only get away with it because her victim is male.

Also, who wrote this fucking script? This is not how real people talk, this is the kind of "conversation" you hear at Dashcon while they're lining up for the fucking ballpit.

You guys are missing the point of CR, that it is not a streaming service so much as it is a paid translation service. Horrible would be worthless without crunchy's subs to steal, because the fan community behind fansubs has more or less collapsed.

First of all quality is going to be bad for someone who isn't JLPT-3 at least. Most of Crunchy's translators are fresh JLPT-2 getting their first jobs with a few JLPT-3 (think Youjo Senki's INSTRUCTOR line).

Second, these gusy are getting paid shit wages, but do so because they're desperate for work experience. Most translators these days who aren't c>e chinks taking shit off baidu are either PAY ME LIKE I HAVE 10+ EXPERIENCE BECAUSE I JUST GOT JLPT-2 or they are lazy and won't do it.

most jap translators who don't try to go all the way as translators go full weeb and post on 2channel all day.

You know what he means. It costs much less to purchase a television subscription and have access to many series, and then possibly purchase the BDs, then have to rely on a streaming service to provide, or ship BDs for an inflated price (in a language that you likely don't know well).

That is just terrible logic and I can't believe you wrote it.

>you made something i enjoy but because you didnt make it with me in mind i have no reason to give you money for it!

I would pay to have 200 years of naturalism in the theater shot into the heads of everyone involved in a dub. I would pay a lot to the first anime company to release a special DVD of these people being tied up and beaten with big heavy spiky dildoes.

Perfect choice of image, if not for the fact it's "free" to watch Kemono Friends I would never consider paying for it no matter what people would say, but here we are and I brought it. The only people who lose sells on piracy are talentless shithead selling shit products, but for everyone else it's free advertisement.

Fuck not another moralfags vs everyone-else thread

>mfw i just watch anime for free on abema.tv

In Australia you used to be able to watch anime including adult anime for free on our foreign channel. Back when it was good then it went full retard multicultural propaganda channel and stopped playing anime.

>it is a paid translation service
Given how shitty their subs are I would really hope they are more than a translation service.

I think that's understood that that's the purpose of CR, what's not understood is that there's still a lack of incentive. The episodes are still free a week after they're released in 480p, and even then, a lot of the times Crunchyroll isn't even up to date on anime that is coming out of Japan. Maybe if the Crunchyroll subscription offered something more enticing like a method to watch older anime in 1080p, or more difficult to find content, but there's no reason too because they don't have that really. It doesn't help that it doesn't even matter what money I throw at CR considering that it doesn't make up a huge marketshare for Japan, and also the marketshare it does make up is for the fags that watch SAO and Naruto. Essentially the same people who own a Netflix subscription and hulu. So I'm not even their primary target.

All in all, compared to other entertainment hubs that host content much better and quality than CR does, there's no reason why I would use it.

>It kind of does, assuming the service is legal.
Most of the cost you pay is absorbed by taxes, distribution fees, legal fees, fees fees fees. The percentage of royalties paid to the production studio is miniscule.

no one in here seems to be a moralfag though.

Not him but it's not terrible logic. It's more of "I want to buy your product but you either make it hard for me to buy it, too expensive for me, or giving shitty version of the product."

It's plain supply and demand. Piracy is mostly a distribution problem. Think steam with games.

Same as the music industry, as long as they can't provide a channel to get your anime fix easy and cheap, the nips and everyone else have only to blame themselves.
The music and film market managed this transition too...

I get some Malaysian imports for cheap with English subs... A whole season for less than what I would pay for 3-4 episodes on a local release.

Unless CR is completely different than every other western company, they usually pay a lump sum to license whatever series and use the money made off it to license more series. Your money doesn't directly go to the japs, but it is used to pay for other series.

>You guys are missing the point of CR, that it is not a streaming service so much as it is a paid translation service
And they translate mostly popular shit and niche/unpopular/hentai gets ignored by them because muh puritanism muh chillunz. Fansubs have died because companies like this aggressively purchase the rights to much and then never release their own content of it, but C&D the ass off anyone who does.

This shit is common in business; it's like a scorched earth policy to deny a competitor resources.

Ive thought of all sorts of ways to get people to buy things that work. Companies are basically stingy they could do so many things to stop piracy.

>Unless CR is completely different than every other western company

>t. socialist

This is capitalism faggot.

ABC runs animu too or at least it used to. I remember around 2010 I caught it broadcasting Ergo Proxy and some show about highschool vampires.

>6.1% decline in sales
Maybe if they stopped charging $60 for a single episode on Bluray they wouldn't have this problem

Pput donation link on their website and see if that going to work.

1. Download to own
2. Charge reasonable prices ($80 for 2 episodes lmao fuck off)
3. TRANSLATE, do not rewrite the script full of witty memes or "hurr gamergate XD". I want to watch their show, not yours. A little localization is fine but christ.

Right now I only buy stuff I really like, usually the box set or figs or whatever

No, that's a different argument. A fairly valid one but there are legal means by which you can watch a lot of anime, especially currently airing shows, which that argument doesn't work against at all.

>First of all quality is going to be bad for someone who isn't JLPT-3 at least.
Even better, all that takes JP is a student with an equivalent comprehension of English, which is far more common than the current situation.
Pay them shitty wages (worse than the English natives) to translate from their native language to English.
Add an option for English subtitles on BDs, and possibly have the English translated to a few other popular languages.
Now they have a new market, and it took very little effort on their side.
That's now what I was saying.
I am saying that I won't buy a product that costs as much as a nice outfit if they won't even make the effort of including subtitles. The only BDs I own are for my favorite series. I haven't watched most of them because as soon as I felt like rewatching the series, a BD rip was available and subtitled.

That's right, I own the product and I still watched it illegally (it's not illegal here but that's beside the point.)
This wouldn't need to happen if they took advantage of their population of students with little income or job experience, yet fluency in Japanese and a decent grasp of English, to translate for them. From there, it won't be difficult to translate from English to Spanish or French or whatever. I don't see how they could possibly lose money when they're making their product more available to a larger audience for a small investment.

>but there are legal means by which you can watch a lot of anime
who fucking cares

I think it was because one of the guys from sbs moved to abc he was a weeb at the tail end of the period when they played exotic movies and shows.

>which that argument doesn't work against at all.
Except it does because those legal methods you're speaking of are absolute trash quality and don't support the creator even marginally reasonably.

Internet isn't free either. There, problem fixed.

those who don't buy would still never buy and those that do would still buy anime, infact seeing them on illegal sites and people talking about it makes them popular and urges others to buy them

CR and other services do not have everything (they largely focus on current and profitable series), and are terrible quality (I don't even like relying on rips of their trash just to see content early).

We've already determined that no methods directly support the creator anyway.

>if they won't even make the effort of including subtitles.
There are a bunch of series available to you then. I haven't been keeping track myself since I bought all of Horizon years ago which came with BD subs but I am sure there are a bunch of series you can choose from.

TV subscription is irrelevant. Anime producers have to pay for timeslots, they don't get any money from TV companies.
It may be different from highly popular anime that air during the daytime, but that's how it works for late night anime.

>And they translate mostly popular shit and niche/unpopular/hentai gets ignored by them because muh puritanism muh chillunz. Fansubs have died because companies like this aggressively purchase the rights to much and then never release their own content of it, but C&D the ass off anyone who does.

Protip: if you want to avoid C&D, you can release anonymously like on imgur, Sup Forums, leddit, tumblr, or any other jew bomb shelter provided you check your ego at the door.

But ego has always been a thing with translators, they want to show ownership over their TL's and so watermark and do other stupid shit. Cutting out the ego kills 90% of translators. It's one thing for something like Shingeki no Kyojin, it's another thing for VNs or LNs.

Nobody posts LN/VN transcripts anonymously because it's a lot of involved work you're doing for free. Those who might be willing to put in the time might not have the skills to make it happen.

Popular shit is translated because, surprise, a lot of people like popular shit. If there's a niche you like and want to share, learn jap and share your passion with others.

>its another "retards think a single cent of their CR sub goes anywhere near nipland" thread