Miyazaki: "Your Name's success is merely a dumb trend"

youtube.com/watch?v=sMQVYdfqKUU

"Modern cars were a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki

Wow, another poorly-subbed ANN-tier miyazaki bait thread oh boy. Someone make sure to invite Sup Forums

Salty and jealous

The guy should seriously get a colonoscopy, being constantly butthurt at this age is a worrying symptom.

He's just butthurt he can't into meme magic.

He's 100% right.
Shitkai is a terrible director who has never made a good movie.

>Miyazaki: "The American people have suffered long enough. Trump will reclaim the jobs that were stolen by Mexico and bring back the smiles of Americans and their cars"
Wow.

I don't know how anyone could watch Your Name and think it's anything more than trendy

>btw
Translation disregarded. As much as I hate Miyazaki I hate shills like you more.

Does this loser have nothing better to do than to irl shitpost about Your Name all the time. What a bitter pathetic old fuck

He's not wrong. Everyone who irrationally hates Miyazaki is underage.

Yeah, he should be meta-shitposting on Sup Forums instead.

Literally nothing he's saying here is wrong. I don't see the problem.

Nice job completely misquoting him for bait. Real good going OP.

Regardless if those are his words or not it's obviously true. As much as I enjoyed Kimi no Na Wa, its success is but because it is the flavor of the moment. I could say the same for Koe no Katachi, but, although it wasn't as popular it at least has a relevant thematic outside the movie itself.

Based Miyazaki being right as always.

>doesnt say a single bad word about your name and godzilla and admits that he didnt watch either
>hurr durr he hates kimi no na wa
lol

>didn't watch shin godzilla
This must hurt Anno-chan.

I hate him rationally

>people are still this mad kimi no na wa is more popular than their favorite movie
Must be because the BDs are out soon.

What's your reason?

WTF I love Hayao now.

Why are they soliciting political opinions from an anime director?

>>>pol

>doesn't watch movies or tv
but how does he anime?

Koe no Katachi is a much better anime than Kimi no Na Wa.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Miyazaki hates anything that he didn't make himself. He refuses to acknowledge or even watch the film one of his own apprentices made, and only offered this for praise: "you must have worked on it for a long time"

>we suck at war
Ha, he's spot on.

Pacific theater was one-sided curb stomp which, I feel pretty bad for Jap soldiers.

Nobody even remembers Koe no Katachi anymore.
Shilled to hell and back and forgotten after a week.

He's right.
The movie is the same shitkai shit he ever spat out. Hoshi no koe still the best.

Good to know even 80 year old Japanese men know how terrible mexicans are thanks to our media influence, fuckers

also not anime

The Smile PreCure OP ran in my head when I read this.

Hardly

I didn't think the old grandad in the rocking chair shouting at the world stereotype exists but this guy fucking hell.

Also he's right about Your name, These hits do happen from time to time.

I feel fond of Miyazaki, no matter what he says. You can't expect an old man to have the same thoughts and feelings as us.
Has he said anything about other Shinkai movies?

Miyazaki... genius at animation, idiot at everything else.

Eh, he says he his movies have been successful for the same reason.

The problem is more the fact that he says he doesn't watch movies or TV. For a filmmaker, that's pretty distressing, and comes off as arrogant.

FUCKING LEARN ACTUAL JAPANESE INSTEAD OF RELYING ON BS MADE UP SUBS
FUCKING SUBHUMANS

Hates Trump, but hates Clinton too at least he knows neither were good a choice. Kind of like picking what flavor of poison to drink. Everything else he didn't out right said he hates.

This isn't a new concept many makers hardly ever watch/play the very the thing they are involved in. My teacher was a voice actor for some anime and he never once watched a single episode of it.

Why does he try so hard to live?

hates moe
is feminist faggot

I hear more often than not that great filmmakers rarely spend time watching contemporary stuff. I don't see why you think that's bad, if anything he's benefitted from it.

Where'd you hear that?

everywhere

Moe did ruin the animation industry though he was right about otaku pandering garbage flooding it.

Majority of the posters ITT have responded to the OP statement, not what Miyazaki actually said.

Terrible thread. Indicative of the knee-jerk reactions this board has though.

>Majority of the posters ITT have responded to the OP statement, not what Miyazaki actually said.

Good, I'd rather this not turn into another Drumpf thread.

Delete this counterintuitive post.

t. Hayao "Anime was a mistake" Miyazaki

>He actually didn't watch your name nor Shin Goji

kek, that's a worse insult than saying they were just a stupid trend.

And anything Miyazaki isnt'?

Because the wind is rising

You think otherwise?

He's a luddite so it makes sense. He used to watch a lot of movies when he was younger though, while he was drawing Nausicaa he'd go to the theaters in the middle of the night and watch the beginnings of movies in order to get inspiration.

when you're old, EVERYTHING looks like a dumb trend

as a strong independent woman who don't need no land travel, I agree with everything Miyazaki says

>He refuses to acknowledge or even watch the film one of his own apprentices made

Because he's too busy directing his own?

Shh, don't give them ideas.

he also said he doesn't watch pretty much any movies or TV. He also didn't say it was a stupid trend, just a trend and one similar to what ghibli experienced as well.
Honestly Miyazaki's just pretty cheerful and nice in this interview.

wtf Im a Hayaomissile now

Sup Forums never surprises me with its stupidity

He is not wrong, but he is still bitter old man that needs to fuck off.

>misleading OP
>not even saying offensive shit in the video
>ITT people salty on Miyazaki

nu-Sup Forums everyone

Butthurt leftie lol

moe is shit tho and you are factually retarded for defending it

Who is this Hayai Miyazuki person and why is he relevant?

That's not what he said at all. Did we even watch the same video?

hella fucking epic

>OP makes up a quote
>Sup Forums just assumes it's real and doesn't watch the linked video
This thread must be full of burgers.

>anime industry full of old retards who don't even watch anime and suck westerncock

Please save us Shinkai.

>miyazaki hates otaku culture and modern anime cliches
>endorses anno

what the fuck

He doesn't even say in the video you utter retard

He was horrible, even worse than a CG animator

He was, may Kami-sama forgive me for uttering this word: enthusiastic

can't wait until this hack dies but I can agree with him that Kimi no na wa is garbage

Because Anno is a suicidal Otaku that promotes suicidal otaku tendencies. So, by supporting Anno he is in fact culling the Otaku population of japan.

Genius move, tbqh.

>he doesn't watch movies or TV. For a filmmaker, that's pretty distressing, and comes off as arrogant.
this isnt an isolated behaviour. a lot of the big western film makers during thes70-90's also didnt watch contemporary products. they were more influenced by the things they've seen in the past, and it continues to drive their creative instinct better than any of the consumerist garbage. the same is true for anime, back when budget was not a major issue and otaku didnt control the market with their spending power, we got a lot of very good shit. now it's just the same thing recycled ad infinitum.

He is correct though

Just like Spirited Away.

>EOP central

The old man just wants to retire, he's sick of people still asking him shit every day like he knows anything, he just wants peace.

Miyazaki in this video:
"Fuck moe. Fuck Trump. Fuck Mexicunts. And last but not least, fuck Shinkai. I haven't watched your latest film, but I bet it's shit for not being directed by me or Takahata. Fuck you for being more succesful than me."

>senile old Jap has a good understanding of the trump phenomenon
>most Americans don't

Hmmm

>he says he doesn't watch movies or TV
And neither do guys like Lynch

>japs singlehandedly taking on the west and ready to fight for decades more after getting nuked

Heh.

>I don't like modern day cars
>They look angry
>Maybe because we sell them to China
Savage.

I feel like this results in their work being extremely consistent over large periods of time. Lynch was influenced by 50s Americana when he started making movies in the 70s, and you still see that influence in his work today. I feel like that's why every Miyazaki movie from Nausicaa to The Wind Rises has a very similar humanistic tone.

>humanistic tone

You're a twat.

>getting this mad that your moeshit is so bland it has no tone or feeling to it whatsoever

You're why people hate on Miyazaki

But Miyazaki is moeshit.

>I have lived long enough to see that coexistence with the Korean "people" is an impossibility. Japan must re-arm itself in order to scour their beastial kind from the face of the earth!

Does this mean we can expect more environmentalism in his upcoming film?

>japan is bad at war
nigga what

He's right about that thing.

>doesn't watch movies
Miyazashit everyone.
Plebian

It's like that on most boards. People don't read the linked article and instead just dive into arguing the fiction that the OP posts. It's pretty sad.

He's not wrong. It's not a bad movie but for some reason it exploded and rode off its own popularity and hype. It's the snowball effect in full force. It happens every now and then.

Most recent example I can think of are fidget spinners.

He has produced films with a wide depth and breadth of plot lines, worlds, and narratives.

Your name is generic and fits very well into a mold established by previous anime films with predictable narratives, cliched tropes, and a dumb obsessive audience singing its praises.

>previous anime films with predictable narratives, cliched tropes, and a dumb obsessive audience singing its praises.

Thanks for describing every Miyawacky film ever made.

>This isn't a new concept many makers hardly ever watch/play the very the thing they are involved in. My teacher was a voice actor for some anime and he never once watched a single episode of it.

Sure, but acting in general is very different. And a VA that doesn't study others is going to be garbage anyways.

That's bullshit. Hell, what is film school but an excuse to watch and study movies? Maybe once you have mastery you don't need to study, but it's arrogant to brush things off as "I don't need to learn anymore." Look at Takahata, that man clearly keeps up with styles, trends, and techniques.

You can be a great filmmaker, and still arrogant. Clearly, looking at Miyazaki, that's possible.

That's also why his movies are terribly homogenous and lack innovation. Say whatever you want about Your Name, it shows a tremendous amount of improvement and humility on the part of Shinkai, clearly addressing the issues with his previous movies and improving on his weaknesses.

And while, sure, some directors don't watch contemporary movies, they still watch some movies. They still go back and pick up their favorite Bergman flick and study it. To say you don't watch any movies or TV at all is tremendously arrogant and self-important, but most of all self-destructive hubris. Is a great writer who refuses to read admirable?