Why did Shaft fail to become another Kyoani?

Why did Shaft fail to become another Kyoani?

Kyoani
>has IPs of their own
>top quality work and perfect schedule management
>profit increasing for 6 consecutive years

Shaft
>barely manages to survive as an Aniplex's slave
>can't get a shit done on time
>average quality at best

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

nikkei.com/article/DGXLASDX01H0G_R00C17A5FFE000/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Kyoani
>all the make is moetrash and think their in house LN's are good material

>Shaft
>only good thing they made was the Kino Bakemonogatari and then everything after was cheap fap bait trash with no where near the skillfull directing of bake

Madhouse wins

Can't fail if you don't try.

Madoka was their best show.

Rebellion was a mistake, though. Should've ended it after Episode 12.

That could refer to either one of them.

>top quality wor
is that what you call samefacing most their shows?

>is that what you call samefacing most their shows?
is this what you call top quality bait?

Madoka/bakemonogatari are more popular and sold way better than anyother kyoani anime

Only smart people can understand the greatness of "moetrash" and that's why its target it's the seinen demography. Get out of here, you need to be at least 18 to post in this board.

KyoAni hasn't done anything god since breaking up with Kadokawa.

Literally this.

Lurk for more than 2 years before posting, newfag.

That's irrelevant from monetary perspective if Shaft isn't independent like Kyoani

> 2009 onward was a mistake

>top quality work

Good one, OP.

I would argue that both KyoAni and SHAFT are treading on pretty shallow water right now. Only thing SHAFT has done in the last few years that's even remotely interesting is Kizu. I'm a huge *gatarifag but even I'm not that excited about Owari. KyoAni at least has FMP coming up.

>the whole bottom row is the exact same face with slight changes to hair style and eye and hair color
>kyoanus fags will defend this and chant "muh AOTYAY" anyways

I'm not even a big Shaft fan, but they're absolutely better than Kyoani.

whatever, they still sold like hot pancakes

But sometimes bait is true.

It means Shaft is more popular though.

>whatever

That's an impressive argument when Shaft didn't even lay a finger on all that money

What about 3-gatsu?

>Th-the eyes are slightly smaller here gaiz!

>choose one or two exceptional show
>THEY'RE MORE POPULAR

Koe no Katachi did better than all the Shaft movies and attracted a huge number of casuals who don't usually watch anime. How does this work in your dumb argument?

>Shaft barely manages to survive

Proof? We all know anons are THE financial experts when it comes to the anime industry, so do you have evidence of heavy debts and losses like Manglobe and Artland?

The anus hasn't made any TV shows that outsold those two. In fact their last two TV anime were pretty poor sellers.

>starts studio war thread implying kyoani is better
>irrelevant when it comes to shaft winning

Madoka and Monogatari are more successful franchises than anything the anus has shat out since 2012. The means TV ratings, DVD sales, and movie box office sales.

>2017
>seriously believing anime sale=BD sales

An average Shaftfag then, I presume

Ever bothered to find out a comparison between the average BD sales of all the Kyoani shows and Shaft ones? Of course your haven't because facts shouldn't get into your way

>Kyoanifags

>late night anime
>talking about TV ratings

>that outdated box office info

Shaftfags are sure desperate

>Madoka and Monogatari's sales don't count! You have to use OUR math!

Show me then.

Don't forget to include the duds that were Phantom World and Maid Dragon.

>Madhouse is doing western capeshit this season

Someone just force them to make a 40k anime if they're to adapt western material, they're the only studio that could pull it off

>grown men arguing over another mans sales
>grown men arguing over money they aren't making themselves

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I hate kyoani since they're garbage 9 times out of 10 but madhouse fell off years ago, i don't like any of their new shit.

>grown men

True, their upcoming titles don't look too good either

I'm always impressed and intrigued by Sup Forums's retardation.
You guys are arguing about Kyoani and shaft since mathusalem when theres nothing to discuss about.
They are 2 great studios, nothing more, nothing less. It's like i'm watching a bunch of 12yrs old arguing about who has the fastest beyblade, shut the fuck up for real

>let me cherrypick the two best shows and pretend others don't exist!

That's a nice maths there son

>mama spoonfeed me now

Am I the only one on this board who vastly prefers 2010s art styles over 2000s?

almost everything on the upper row looks autistic, badly drawn, or inconsistent imo.

>Kyoani
>One hit wonder studio who makes shit that only body pillow humping faggots care about

Shaftards should talking as if sales and profits belong to Shaft when in fact Aniplex is getting all the hot money and Shaft is nothing but their subcontractor. Come back argue again when your studio gets to fund their shows a bit. Why would they do it when they know they can't get a thing done properly on schedule though? Only Aniplex is brace enough to go for that gamble

>o-only grown men watch shows about little girls putting on makeup

All posts above and below this one were submitted by anti-Sup Forums operatives as part of a scheme to remove anime from Sup Forums.org.

They own part of Madoka (understandable, since it's an original).

Post one (1) show that KyoAni has made that wasn't soulless garbage. Protip: you can't.

Tell that to the people who think they know more about the industry than studio economists.

You know what, anime studios would save a ton of money by firing their actual economists and appointing anons. They'll probably work for a lot less; hell, they'll work for body pillows and cup ramen.

>>all the make is moetrash
this is dogakobo
kyoani makes more dramas and comedies than moe SoL

Phantom world was a glorified sol with magic.

Only actual comedy they attemped was Nichijou

>Phantom world was a glorified sol with magic.
I don't see how that makes it "moetrash"

I'm still waiting.

Are you kyocucks using the new feminist-friendly math I've heard about?

Well there's 3 reasons

Moeshit designs where every character looks the same blob
Slice of life
Nothing substantial happening at all

>kyoani
>one year with a shoestring budget
>makes a movie that rivals shinkai's kimi no na wa

>shaft
>delayed for eight years and broken up into 3 parts
>cgi trash with basic anatomy mistakes

tybka

>buzzword and subjective
>something you just pulled out of your ass
>empty words
nice argument

Why are kyoanifags the sonyfags of Sup Forums?

MadHouse died in 2011. Literally all the important staff left to other studios.

>being this dump and ignorant

The stuff is all over there and the latest one well included things like Madoka and Monogatari, yet Kyoani still beating Shaft on average. Do you know simply how many Shaft shows recorded three-digit number?

The only reason you don't see them often around these days is because BD sales itself is rendered so irrelevant now. It's not your fault being a newfag, but learn to think before you speak

>Shaft
>infinite blu-ray sales every time
>basically a dead studio/monogatari slave at this point

>KyoAnus
>produces flop after flop
>literally "I AM GROWING STRONGER"

How

>produces flop after flop

Because BD numbers don't mean a shit about company's financial performance, my little salesfag-kun

>flop after flop

Maidragon sold like hot chocolate thanks to streaming business

nikkei.com/article/DGXLASDX01H0G_R00C17A5FFE000/

i totally agree with you on that, facial features tend to look like they're actually on the face now.

Both shaft and kyoani worked for somebody else.
Kyoani did good, Shaft not so much.
Here is an old pasta.

Average per volume sales 2005-2012 KyoAni
K-on! 43883
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 41037
K-on!! 39385
Lucky Star 29146
Clannad 24808
Air 24436
Clannad After Story 19883
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009) 19064
Kanon 18170
Chunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai! 16727
Hyouka 9996
Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid 4961
Nichijou 2750
Munto 600
Average 21060

Average per volume sales 2005-2012 SHAFT
Bakemonogatari 78671
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 71057
Nisemonogatari 60580
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 8617
Negima!? 8587
Hidamari Sketch x??? 8511
Pani Poni Dash! 8504
Hidamari Sketch οΎ—365 8120
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei 7077
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 6633
Hidamari Sketch 5885
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei 5451
Zan Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei 4221
Ef: A Tale of Memories 4165
Arakawa Under the Bridge 3461
Maria Holic 3389
Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge 2081
Ef: A Tale of Melodies 1398
Dance in the Vampire Bund 1207
Maria Holic: Alive 1186
Natsu no Arashi! 984
Natsu no Arashi! Akinai chu 772
Rec n/a
Average 13662

Shaft recently opened their own online shop. Good to see Shaft moving a bit closer to a Kyoani strategy

Personally I avoid all Shaft anime like a disease and refuse to ever watch anything from them again.

Who cares about any of this shit?
I just want to know when SHAFT is going to make season 5.

Why? They're pretty fine powerpoint presentations

user...

Can't even tell me Full Metal Panic looks anything like Haruhi, Clannad, or Lucky star. Bottom row is basically the same.

Yeah, yeah, that's a shame and all, but that's not enough reason: she's a side character.
Get someone who vaguely sounds alike and fucking do it.

So they're a merchandise company with an animation wing like nu-Disney. Got it.

All they need now are amusement parks, a TV station showing teenybopper sitcoms instead of the stuff that actually made them popular, an army of lawyers going after kindergarten teachers who paint Bonta-kun on their walls, and an "intellectual property" rewriting of Japanese copyright law.

More like bronies of Sup Forums

>i'mplying anybody could squeak the same way she did

They should get their containment own board then.

>TV station showing teenybopper sitcoms instead of the stuff that actually made them popular
They're almost there since that's the only kind of shit they've made since 2009.

What the fuck does this even mean?

Leave and don't come back

/sakuga/ when

nice bait thread. So I'll bite.

Shaft was developed from the ground up with a different mindset then Kyoani.

Shaft was basically a small budget animation studio which did a lot of "episodes" and "background" art for big budget studios as a subcontracted out studio. It was basically a corporate enterprise designed to make the most amount of money with the least amount of work.

They changed slightly when Shinbo jumped on board. The MANAGEMENT didn't change. their corporate mindset was still to make the most $$ for the least cost, but with Shinbo they found a director that could make FEATURE full length movies and tv shows on a shoe string budget and increase their margins at the same time.

Shinbo's surreal style was tempered long before he came to shaft, but with shaft he finally found a studio willing to entertain his wild imagination. Better still Shinbo MESHED with the corporate culture at SHAFT. He wanted to make anime which were commercial successes while making them cheaply and on a shoe string budget.

What happened at shaft was unexpected and unintentional. They stumbled upon a light novel author (NisiOisiN) who had his thumb on the pulse of the true japanese otaku community and who's content MESHED perfectly with Shinbo's unique directing style. They caught lightning in a bottle, and Bakemonogatari happened. A 12 episode series which is firmly in 2nd place for the highest selling season of anime in history (TOTAL media, if you take strictly bluray sales bakemonogatari is no no.2, but when counting VHS, DVD and bluray is it, this is not averaging out, this is gross numbers).

In 12 months Bakemonogatari gave Shaft more money the the studio's owners ever imagined they'd make in 10 years. Of course this gave Shinbo a heck of a lot more power at shaft, allowing him to get approval and funding for a project him and mister Urobuchi had been trying to get funded for years. Madoka Magika.

(-cont-)

That doesn't matter. I want "what's-her-name" new girl to be animated.

>In 12 months Bakemonogatari gave Shaft more money
Aniplex is the one getting all that money, iirc there was this anime shaft funded that was a flop but everything else is aniplex.

This is the perfect thread to ask if someone here has that one edit of this jpg

It's pretty simple really. KyoAni has the money to invest in successful productions and good management, SHAFT does not.

(-cont-)

Well Madoka became the 3rd largest hit (gross sales 1 season of anime) litterally almost matching Bakemonogatari's sales figures.

Well corporate management was sold, and Shinbo became the studio's head, and no longer had direct contact with the making of the anime itself, as he graduated into management. The studio had it's identity forged by Shinbo over the prior 10 years and now with Shaft == Shinbo firmly etched in the market's mind the studio would continue to produce anime which were HUGE successes relying partly on the shinbo name, and partly on the style one after another. If you look at the top 10 single season sales (gross) list, you'll see an avalanche of SHAFT series starting in 2009-> That said Shaft was and remains a corporate studio, there was never an intention or master plan to grow beyond grinding out a buck with the least $$ spent. Their newfound wealth didn't all go back into the studio, it instead went to the investors at the top. Still, Shinbo lead shaft continued and continues to rake in the $$, allowing the studio to put more $$ into it's productions, and take on more ambitious projects. However -and I will remind you of this- shaft's overwhelming goal is to maximize profit. So with popular series, they will and have no shame to milk them over and over again.

SIDENOTE:

>Aniplex is the one getting all that money, iirc there was this anime shaft funded that was a flop but everything else is aniplex

nope. Aniplex gets a cut not all, it's a % on top with a baseline for their funding and marketing. SHAFT got filthy rich off of bakemonogatari. I see this meme a lot, while it's true Aniplex is a blood sucking soulless corporate monster, there wouldn't be so many studios lining up to take their money if there weren't good terms and the chance to make $$ of it somehow. Yes aniplex made a fortune from shaft, but shaft made a fortune thanks to aniplex. Corporate partnerships like this aren't zero-sum games.

3gatsu is better than Monogatari

t. Butthurt Kyoani fag

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

It means your thin-skinned, vicious little shits who can dish it but can't take it.

>nope. Aniplex gets a cut not all, it's a % on top with a baseline for their funding and marketing. SHAFT got filthy rich off of bakemonogatari. I see this meme a lot, while it's true Aniplex is a blood sucking soulless corporate monster, there wouldn't be so many studios lining up to take their money if there weren't good terms and the chance to make $$ of it somehow. Yes aniplex made a fortune from shaft, but shaft made a fortune thanks to aniplex. Corporate partnerships like this aren't zero-sum games.

Screencap this-nasai.

Ironically official body pillows aren't that common in KyoAni shows, I think only Chuu2 has them, SHAFT is the complete opposite.

Shaft makes better girls.

>>Aniplex is the one getting all that money, iirc there was this anime shaft funded that was a flop but everything else is aniplex
Why do you lie when SHAFT financial reports are public and they make even less money than KyoAni.

This. KyoAnus girls are bottom of the barrel trash.

seeOr are you one of those anons who knows more about the anime biz than actual accountants?

See what?

Shaft is too busy doing drugs to attempt to correct business practices and run a tighter ship.

Why do SHAFTshitters disapear every time KyoAni beats SHAFT in sales during the same season? For example Hibike S2 > 3Flopsu and also Maidragon > 3Flopsu

They only shitpost when SHAFT beats KyoAni

>nope. Aniplex gets a cut not all, it's a % on top with a baseline for their funding and marketing. SHAFT got filthy rich off of bakemonogatari. I see this meme a lot, while it's true Aniplex is a blood sucking soulless corporate monster, there wouldn't be so many studios lining up to take their money if there weren't good terms and the chance to make $$ of it somehow. Yes aniplex made a fortune from shaft, but shaft made a fortune thanks to aniplex. Corporate partnerships like this aren't zero-sum games.