Dubbed anime

>dubbed anime
Why do American VAs always sound so dull and boring? Do they not have any range, are they even properly trained?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
youtube.com/watch?v=4D-cIgFytxo
youtube.com/watch?v=CuphQkD0fUI
youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PU_rSOAAnAc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implying all dubs are bad

Think about who watches dubbed anime. Weebs, and even then only a small subset of weebs. Funimation and the likes can hire actually good VAs to appeal to an utterly marginal audience, or they can hire run-of-the-mill ones and pocket more profits. Which do you think sounds smarter?

Good VAs do American animation, mostly for Disney and Dreamworks and the like. Sometimes the stars align and you get a great anime dub, but
1. that's the exception rather than the rule
2. that usually happens for anime that have some kind of normie appeal. The two posts above prove my point: Hetalia is fujoshit barely anyone even among anime enthousiasts watches, while Space Dandy is more or less in the same category as Cowboy Bebop (or at least tries to be).

Japanese animation dubbing is kind of like Christian contemporary music. It's a niece appeal fanbase and they take whatever they can get even tho a large percentage of the base considers doing it an act of sacrilege. The other thing it has in common is that if you're good enough to get out of it you get the fuck out and don't look back. Katy Perry

*niche

>Katy Perry and Bryan Cranston taught me that.

What's worse is the VAs are all trying to get better wages for their shit jobs.
Like fuck
I had to listen to Milla Maxwell's English VA instead of Sawashiro goodness, and they think they deserve higher wages?

Most American dub VAs are failed TV/movie/stage actors.

Remember during April Fool's day when Sup Forums and Sup Forums were combined and everyone began posting without realizing their country would be revealed? All of the posters complaining about how dubs were awful in the Persona 5 threads were Latin Americans. They are uneducated apes that can't speak English and certainly can't speak Japanese. Just keep that in mind next time you see someone espousing such an opinion.

literally all of watanabe's dubs are godly

Nice another dub thread! All Sup Forums needs is a few Naruto threads and some amv threads to be perfect!

Because it's anime

IIRC even union dub for anime pay less than non-union dub for video game

Stop creating new dub threads as soon as the other is removed.

>the HnK dub changes all of the original score
I don't know who did this but they need to be killed

Most decent VAs eventually leave anime dubbing and go to video games since that usually pays better. Only the shitty ones stay in anime.

But Yuri Lowenthal does video games and cartoons, and still does anime dubs.

>hetalia is fujoshit
yes i'm with you
>that barely anybody watches
The fuck? I don't know a single female anime fan that doesn't fucking love hetalia

When it opened his mouth I recognized Yuri Lowenthal's voice immediately

>Lowenthal

When was the last time he dub a "new character" in anime these past few years?

I'm not talking role reprisal like Sasuke and others. I'm talking about new Lowenthal role in anime

Everyone one can tell when something's a Yuri Lowenthal. He does the same voice in almost everything. I don't know how he gets all these jobs.

B-but I like his voice

It really depends.

Baccano's dub was actually pretty good overall. They made good use of the various accents the characters would actually have, for instance, which is something the Japanese version can't get across. Kindof like how in the Azumanga Daioh dub they gave Osaka a Texan accent, but the other way around.

Dialog has to match the mouthflaps of the original so the lines the actors get to work with are fucky.

Do she really needs a better wage?

Minae Noji (Milla ENG VA) is also a TV actor. I'll say her resume is actually more impressive than Yuri Lowenthal, Matt Mercer, Laura Bailey and others "anime games" dub VA, because at least she has a role in TV and movies

Am I the only one who finds modern dubs to be entirely unremarkable? Sure, they aren't anything to write home about, but they're not total fucking abominations like most dubs in the late 90's/early 2000's

I've actually heard this but don't know much about it. Elaborate?

youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

>God, this script is terrible and no one is going to watch this piece of shit. Let's just do whatever we want.

The example you posted is the opposite of dull of boring. I wouldn't call it good, but he sounds like he's on cocaine.

Hetalia has been a massive cringe pool for female anime fans in their twenties for some time now. Do you only know middle schoolers?

>MOST
also golden boy is superior

This

No, but they sure as hell act like them sometimes

Never heard the dub for Golden Boy.
Also, have you read the manga? It gets WEIRD.
>The manga is now entirely about psychological manipulation and "reprogramming" people
WAT

There was once a show so terrible, with such poor sales, that the animation studio told the English VAs "just do whatever you want, we don't care". The result was so successful that they translated the ad-libbed English lines back into Japanese and it actually sold better in Japan than the original Japanese show ever did.

youtube.com/watch?v=4D-cIgFytxo

>I don't know how he gets all these jobs.

He seems to be semi-retired these days or more selective in choosing his role.

You won't hear his voice in at least 95% of "anime-style" video games these days. He usually voice acted in western games right now

>he hasn't watched golden boy
truly a denizen of neo-Sup Forums

>sometimes
You're generous.
youtube.com/watch?v=CuphQkD0fUI

Don't insult middleschoolers like that, come on now

I haven't watched the DUB of golden boy. I watched it with dem ol' yellow subs FUCKBOIIIII. It only took me months to download that shit on dialup, lol.

I'd love to see this happen at random with other boards. Put flags on /his/ for a day, I want to see how many of these "Germans" are just LARPing Americans.

I think all boards should at least have thread-specific poster ID's to avoid confusion in conversations with a group of people and to prevent samefagging.

Is this fucking real?
This sounds like an abridged version.

True, but irrelevant to what we were talking about beforehand.

100% real. Another interesting example of dubs being REALLY off is Samurai Pizza Cats. IIRC, they received the video but didn't have the script so they just made it up as they went along.

Yes, it's real. You can look it up, it's called Ghost Stories. They just let the VAs do whatever.

See, that was me conceding the point. That the female anime fans are middle schoolers, or at least act like them sometimes.

Is there any other media that has as much polarized shitflinging when it comes to dubbing than anime? I've never come across people so adamant on both sides regarding the topic. I thought the most commonly held consensus across all forms of media, anime or not, is that you should just roll with the original audio for almost anything.

Or is it just a result of the english anime dubbing industry being plain shit?

This shit is why I like Bobobo so much.

yes and it's glorious

Hetalia is 90% middle school/high school girls and 10% middle school/high school boys who like history and don't know they're gay yet.

Because the kind of person who watches english dubbed anime doesn't care about the quality of it.no matter how shitty it is they will eat it up. If they cared they would watch the original jap version.

>the english anime dubbing industry being plain shit
Pretty much this.

I think you should improve your post reading skills, you can almost always tell who is who by syntax alone

Yeah, definitely. I don't know a single female anime fan who isn't massively embarrassed by Hetalia today, but they were all into it as adolescents.

Japanese games that don't have an option for Japanese Audio can be pretty painful, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Its because people who watch eng dubbed anime are retarded. There is no point in reasoning with them since they will watch it dubbed no matter how much it sucks.

Chaos wars dub is the greatest dub of all time.

>10% middle school/high school boys who like history and don't know they're gay yet.

It's not gay if it's a metaphor for international politics

I spend most of my time over on /k/. When you get into technical discussions about stuff, it can get really confusing really quickly.

I haven't ever met anyone who's watched a non-english European movie and said, "Yeah but where's the english dub?"
Anime and nipshit just attracts the most retarded of scum.

The speech patterns of the Japanese are different than those of English.

The reason why dubs sound so unnatural to some people is because they are essentially unnatural.
It's a person who speaks English speaking English like a Japanese person speaks Japanese.

So dubs either turn out passionless because the person speaking barely uses any intonation or they turn out weird because the person tries to use a Japanese speech pattern when speaking English.

See, what happened was that dubs in the 90's/early 2000's were genuine shit. Unpaid interns, or people who were basically unpaid interns, would voice anime, or they hired awful talent, or had shit scripts, or some combination thereof. When I watched Saikano, this was made painfully obvious to me I still fucking loved the show despite the blatantly terrible dub.
But, since about 2008 or so, middlemen like funimation finally got their act together and started hiring actual voice talent. Additionally, they made the default voice for their products to be the dub, so new fans would watch the dub and think "huh, this is ok" and so when older people who grew up with the dubs being pretty much automatic shit talk about how shit dubs are either not knowing or not caring that the situation has changed the new fans get super defensive and dig their heels in, which cause the old fans to dig their heels in too, and now we have a super polarized issue.

I've heard someone ask that about Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, but that person was borderline retarded.
youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ

...or you're just shit at reading between the lines

Because talented voice actors don't dub anime. Almost all anime dubs get the same pool of B-tier and C-tier voice actors.

French dubs were a thing of wonder.
youtube.com/watch?v=PU_rSOAAnAc

>actual voice talent
What this user said, basically. It's gotten better than the worst, but by and large it's still bad. When OP asks if ENG VAs are "properly trained", the answer will be "no" for almost every VA in the English business. Voicing anime isn't an actual career path, here, so there's not going to be much of a talent pool available.

Some people are obvious, but when you have 50 people in a thread talking about the functionality of a specific gas operating mechanism with anecdotes, test results, varying implementations, etc... It isn't always obvious and I've had more than a few people miss-attribute comments to me or have my comments miss-attributed to others in the thread and it's annoying.

Parisian dubs always annoyed me, DESU.

When I say actual voice talent, I mean compared to literally unpaid interns. I remember watching a clip of some gundam or something dub from the 90's and the voice actor was reciting lines from the script in a monotone during an action scene. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I thought OPM's dub was ok, but a lot of the speech is meant to be cheesy to begin with.

Fuck off back to /r/anime,newfag.

>everyone who disagrees with me is reddit

I don't think Sup Forums is for you.

No, not everyone. Just mentally challenged newfags like you.

It's real.

How did they get away with this?

>Not wanting people to samefag or having conversations derail constantly because people lose track of who made which comments is bad

I actually like Laura Bailey

>actually defending dubs
Summer, not again.

I'm fairly certain that most of us are here for actual discussion, and therefore don't do pathetic shit like samefagging.
As for the other point, why is your identity important or relevant? If you must refer to another post you link to it and avoid mentioning the author altogether.

Having ID's just encourages people to go full retard.
At least if there are none you have to be on your guard about shitposting and replying to it.

I'm going through her list and while I do know some of these characters I don't remember their voice

Have you accepted Jamieson Price as your personal lord and saviour? I have.

this is actually a good point, being shielded from harm makes you weak

All the good VAs work in the video game industry. Aside from a rare handful of shows, America doesn't give enough of a fuck about dubbed anime to warrant more than a minimal effort.

oh this guy was Dietard, his voice is super distinct, I remember hearing it randomly during one of the many cawa doody campaigns and being excited that I knew who it was

He was the reason I watched Gankutsuou and Planetes dubbed, though I have to say that Gankutsuou dub lacked compared to original, although watching Planetes dubbed was really a pleasant experience.

>Watching dubbed anime
You only have yourself to blame, buddy.

>Gankutsuou dub lacked compared to original
I meant the rest of the cast, I wouldn't swap mr Price for Jouji Nakata

Gankutsouo has such a good original VA though I would probably be disappointed no matter who it was.

You'd know it if you heard it; she uses the same voice for at least 3/4 of who she plays.

Yeah, but you get what I and that other user are saying, right? They're "talent" but they're never going to actually excel. The moment they do, they won't be working in anime anymore.

I dunno, they sound ok to me. I've actually interacted with some of these people, and they tell me that voice acting for anime is difficult (basically because you have to lip sync) and doesn't pay all that well, especially compared to doing voice acting for TV commercials and such (which apparently is not only miles easier and is less work but pays better on top of both), so they concluded that the reason they still do anime is because they really enjoy it (either the anime or the work).

Of course, this was in a public setting, so they could have just been playing the public facade fiddle.

I heard basically the same from Matt Hill.

He could be playing the public facade fiddle too, it's not like outright telling the public that you would be doing something else if you were just a little bit better at your job is something you're not allowed to do as a professional.

I'm inclined to believe them though.

I mean... he started in western cartoons like Ed, Edd n Eddy, sooo...

Hell, his first role was Captain N...

>ellipses
stop this

No...