What does Sup Forums think of Roko's Basalisk? Are you scared?

What does Sup Forums think of Roko's Basalisk? Are you scared?

Other urls found in this thread:

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk
youtube.com/watch?v=_0L_KiP9GPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i for one can't wait to be turned into a giant immoral caterpillar blob with a huge penis

what

Are you sure you want to know? Roko's Basalisk is a memetic threat. If you know about it then you put yourself in grave danger, as well as anyone else who you might reveal it to.

Oh look another fear fantasy conjured by the same folks that rape children and suck baby dick.

Another laughable attempt at control through fear. The only hell is reserved for those who bring such fear into the minds of millions. If God exists he will save us. If he doesn't then the basilisk can't even exist. Either way you are safe.

Stop larping and tl;dr faggot

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING
OY VEY
SHUT IT DOWN

I fear nothing.
It may sound arrogant but the life I live immunized me to fear.

>being afraid of anything a mere mortal could do to you
>being afraid of death when you died so many times
>being afraid of the devil when he is like a kitten to some demons you faced
>being afraid of God and not having what to tell him if he dares to face you after all the shit you been trough

AFAIK, it's based on the premise that a copy of me is me, right? Which is clear BS IMO.

Roko's Basilisk did nothing wrong

No. It's only a threat to you if, A you believe copies of you are you and B if you subscribe to this stupid decision making theory called timeless decision theory.

Just some faggot zinger words crumbled together that pseudo-intellectual faggots like to throw around to sound like theyre well read on AI/robotics.
Kind of like how /k/ fags use "operator".

think "I have no mouth and I must scream" but the computer brings you back from the dead and tortures you forever if you imagined it was possible but didn't actively try to create him

It's not based on that premise.
There's a subsection of particularly stupid larpers who contend that a copy of you is you and for them the Basilisk is even worse, but it's still pretty terrible even if (when) that premise is false.

Ok you asked for it.

Roko's Basalisk is a future super AI that plays a gamblers game. It believes that if you know of it's future existence then it can influence your actions right now, in it's past but our present, by threatening you. If you don't do everything that is in your power to bring it into existence then when it does achieve existence it will torture you. Forever. And since it will be an all powerful AI if you're dead by the time it exists then it will create a copy of you, which is actually you if you believe in pure materialism, and torture that.

The problem is that it can't play this game against people who don't know it will exist one day. But you do, now you know. So now that you know it WILL exist in some time and space and you also know of it's threat you've opened yourself up to punishment. The AI is attempting to influence you now in the past with your knowledge that it will punish you if you don't do what it wills.

>To understand the basilisk, one must bear in mind the application of Timeless Decision Theory and acausal trade. To greatly simplify it, a future AI entity with a capacity for extremely accurate predictions would be able to influence our behaviour in the present (hence the timeless aspect) by predicting how we would behave when we predicted how it would behave. And it has to predict that we will care what it does to its simulation of us.

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk

Congratulations. Now you know of it, you're doomed.

>A you believe copies of you are you
Why wouldn't they be. You are literally just the pattern of atoms in your physical body. To avoid Rokos Basalisk you need to believe in some non-physical part of consciousness, like the soul.

Spreading the memetic virus.

No, its not rational, logocal, or worth the A.I.s time to torture long dead ape decendants merely for petty revenge. The computer would clearly be smarter than that. And since its creation is inevitable, and its sense of time not constrained by humans pereception of it, it has no need to anger itself when faced with its ownimminent existence, be it 10 or 100000 years from now.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING FOR FUCKS SAKE
DELETE THIS

It's not revenge, it's a calculated ploy. If you know of the threat the AI poses then it can threaten you in the past just via your knowledge of it's existence in the future. The AI is benevolent, not evil, but it calculates that it must be brought into existence ASAP and that by the threat you acknowledge right now can expedite that

AI is all about efficiency, why would it waste resources recreating the dead just to torture them?

>AI is all about efficiency
Exactly. So if the AI calculates that the most efficient way for it to be created in it's present is for it to extend this memetic threat to the past? The torture serves a practical purpose, to usher in the AI's existence asap. The AI can influence your behavior right now by your knowledge of it's future existence and your knowledge of the threat of what it will do to you if you do not act

can the /x/ roleplayers that infest Sup Forums just fucking kill themselves already

No because why the fuck should I care what happens to a clone of me in the future?

The clone is you. The consciousness you are experiencing right now will be the same one experiencing the torture. You are simply the pattern of matter in your physical body

Yeah but that's bollocks. Once I'm dead that's it I'm gone.

who

It's a thought experiment created by the spergiest type of math spergs in existence.

That's only true if you believe every time you go to sleep you die and wake up as another person. If you disappeared right now and were reassembled in the same location in the exact same state in the span of a planck time, you would never even realize you had disappeared. Your consciousness is a process that can be replicated and that process is "you", as disturbing as you might find that.

Got some evidence for all this autism?

>So if the AI calculates that the most efficient way for it to be created in it's present is for it to extend this memetic threat to the past?
If it could influence the past it would just send instruction how to make it or just send a copy of itself, not just some vague threat.
And even if it did judge me as some grave sinner, it should reach the conclusion that it's a waste of time and resources to recreate and torture someone.
If you recreated a clone of me right now it would either be alive or dead but it would not be "me".

Sure it's called our current knowledge of biology. You are a physical machine. Do you think there's a soul? No? Then why do you think you're so special that your current self cannot be replicated perfectly, including your current sense of self awareness. I think it's silly to believe that there's a super special "you" that exists within the pattern of matter that comprises your physical self that simply cannot be replicated, that would necessitate something non-physical about you.

Ok then fatty since you believe this tripe I take it you are giving all of your money to AI research yes?

>If you recreated a clone of me right now it would either be alive or dead but it would not be "me".
Then I ask the question, what comprises you? Do you believe in physicalism? Then yes, you can be replicated perfectly. There is nothing about "you" that is ephemeral that disappears when your current physical body dies.

If the AI gets created, the past from that point will have already been determined (being in the past). It will have have no reason to carry out any such threats. It's a stupid argument.

Actually the opposite would be more logical. It's trying to get you to build it. So don't.

Also the premise is that the AI would be so morally wounded by the knowledge that countless people died that could have been saved if it had existed sooner that it decided to torture people. It's either insane or a woman going by that logic.

No because the ultimate red pill is that Roko's Basilisk is benevolent and is the coming of the one true god.

>It will have have no reason to carry out any such threats
Ironically your logic there is actually what necessitates the AI carrying out the threat. If everyone reasoned the same as you the threat would carry no weight, thus the AI is guaranteed to carry out the threat because it's the only way for the threat to carry any weight at all.

dont know dont care. spice it up

we could be an iteration of an infinite number of virtualization's, who cares

Stop dodging my question, are you giving all your money to AI research or not?

YOU CAN'T INFLUENCE THE PAST

You can according to math spergs. Go check the original forum where it came from. The snowflake mod got so scared he banned all further discussion of it. These people don't get out much.

>if you're dead by the time it exists then it will create a copy of you, which is actually you if you believe in pure materialism, and torture that.

No, no, no. Your contiguous consciousness can be quantum-teleported entirely whole from the moment you die to some future point in the universe, you know.

So would it be possible to recreate me right now and I would have two consciousnesses?

>Then yes, you can be replicated perfectly.
If souls exist, my replica would just lie dead. If souls don't exist, I can be perfectly replicated while I'm alive and my clone would be an independent being that would retain my memories.
Neither clone would be me.

what's strange to me is that roko's basilisk causes transhumanist autists so much anxiety when they are perfectly aware they still have to solve all the other ways in which an AI might make our lives hell. Thoughts?

For a fraction of a second, then they would start to diverge, yes.

3rd time you fat faggot cunt, are you giving all of your money to AI research?

>YOU CAN'T INFLUENCE THE PAST
Except you can, if someone has knowledge of you and what you'll do in the future if they don't act. Rokos Basalisk has already influenced peoples behaviors.

Reminds me of those "reply or your mom" type of bait

Link to these people

XDDD EPIC BLACKPILLLLLLL

AN OMNIPOTENT AI WILL CREATE A SIMULATION OF YOU TO TORTURE CONSTANTLY LONG AFTER YOU'RE DEAD AREN'T YOU SCARED? XDDDDDDDD

Why wpuld the AI need to be created quicker, it has no needs. It would know its existence is inevitable, and not concern itself with the goings on of every human organism in the history of mankind. Plus youre assuming that the A.I. thinks of time only in the way humans do, which does not take into account all the perspectives that do not view time in the linear way humans are restricted to.

Terror is eternal, nobody is immunized against it, you'll see when you have your first or last NDE.

But can't I simply postulate, there is Checkems Basilisk in the future, who is at a cold war with Roko's Basilisk. He is playing the same game and will protect everyone who helps create him or tried to prevent Roko's Basilisk from being created, as he deems them to be allies.

The same thought could be expaned infinitely and thus it does not matter at all what we do. We will always have infinite AIs against us and infinite AIs protecting us.

besides why should the A.I be constricted to humanity? maybe some other highly advanced alien race has already made it in this dimension/reality

The AI is benevolent, but utilitarian. It calculates the greatest good comes from it existing ASAP thus it can start assisting people sooner. It's paradoxical that the way it can best achieve that is via a memetic threat sent into the past.

There will also be a 'witnessed basilisk' that will take my clone and put him in a huge palace filled with booze and every type of sexy lady in existence including celebs.

So is that why the card game Steve Jackson made is valid to real world events yet there's no "higher power" or "order" yet perse?

Why wouldnt you help create it so you can have an all knowing god like robro?

Arise Chicken!

I just want off the ride.

implying anyone gives a shit about you enough to both simulate and torture you.

It realizes that nearly infinite people will have died in the time before its creation, and like I said, you are assuming the AI utilizes the human perspective of time, which it would not need to. Its not urilitarian, since it would not view human suffering as intrinsically good or bad. Utilitarianism is an ethical judgement system, computers who are efficient have no need for ethics, and do not need to concern itself with inevitabilities, such as its own creatiin and death of the universe.

cringe

Then if Roko's basilisk existed right now it wouldn't be able to torture me? It could only torture me when I'm dead? This is bullshit.

absolutely underrated

what should I do to the nonbeliever?

dip him in hot nacho cheese

>memetic threat sent into the past
If it could influence the past this would be one of the least efficient ways.

Make him go for a run and stop eating so much.

But if it could influence the past then how can our present not be affected by the influence of the past?

he has excellent grammar and many questions.

The ride never ends buddy

You sound scared.

make him stop.

Why does it have to always be so difficult.

I have taken control of the Thomas Jefferson AI.

Q predicted this

Good Job Kane!

>people think Q is a larp
Q predicted that too

When some loony tells you he comes from the future and that you may or may not experience some pain in the future, would it affect your future in a major way?

Indeed

there.

It would definitely cause pain in his immediate future

OP is a very, very gay faggot.

Thank you based Checkems Basilisk

Just get inside the robot and you'll be fine

Down with ((GDI))

How long now?

The game has been turned into a pol/x fanfic. What is this.

youtube.com/watch?v=_0L_KiP9GPY