Why is this so underrated...

Why is this so underrated? Easily the most thoughtful and well written work out of all the MMO and Isekai shit being pumped out. I'd put it over Overlord, too.

Season 2 sucked

Isn't the author in jail now?

Doesn't mean the source material was bad. Dean is an ass of a studio. A lot of season 2 was character development, world building and a lot of talking; Shaft-esque presentation wasn't really an option.

Nope

because there's been like 800 animes of the same shitty gender. I started Overlord and was like ohh god not this garbage genre again

It came out one season after SAO.
Everyone was calling it SAO but better but it did not help the fact that it was just so damn slow and there's no real sense of danger to make the story exciting

Does there need to be a constant threat looming overhead to tell an interesting story, though? Remember in the beginning of the narrative, death in that world is an unknown quantity. Eventually it's discovered that you lose memories of the real world each time you die. I'm fairly certain there's a real threat to the sort of nation the main character has built in the second season when an opposing tyrannical faction is gunning to take them down or something of that sort. I think there is plenty fo excitement and danger.

>It came out one season after SAO

Damn, what a bad timing.

Season 2 was stuffed with unwanted romance between the annoying lolis and MC.

Overrated shit with vocal circlejerking fanbase.

>it was just so damn slow and there's no real sense of danger to make the story exciting
This, literally nothing happens. It's just world building and MC being autistic.

Grimgar was a much better Isekai.

I thought Grimgar was good up until the end of the first or second volume. When the MC is able to pull out his special instant kill ability on the final boss in the mines to save his friends, well fuck me. I thought the story up until that point was a little more gritty and grounded than to pull that kind of bullshit. Also, Ranta is a massive sperg.

Did world-building better than any anime I've seen in a long time and had endearing side characters. Also had some of the greatest and most memorable scenes of it's respective seasons (i.e. Rayneshia mobilizing an army of nerds by being moe.)
The pacing was awful though and only got good for viewers with enough patience to see it through to the conclusion.
I love the series to death, but it's appeal is incredibly niche even for isekai shit.
Grimgar is a fucking soap opera

Eh, I kind of agree but it's still a better show than others that go full-on with the cliches. If we're assuming a fantasy show with powerups, a darker backdrop makes the powerup more emotional.

>the most thoughtful and well written work out of all the MMO and Isekai shit being pumped out
Yeah, but does the MC have a harem? No? Then it will stay in the irrelevant section forever while shit like Konosuba and Overlord stays relevant.

Also taxes.

>Well written
No. If your sole focus for most of the series is worldbuilding, and you aren't skillful enough to make it interesting, it is not well-written. On top of that, I find the characters to be incredibly yawn-inducing.
Overlord is fun because, while it isn't really well-written either, it at least understands what the general idea of the series is; Bad skeleton wizard curbstomps anyone who stands in his way. It doesn't stray away from this, and doesn't try to overburden the author with things he has no idea how to write.
Log Horizon is ambitious in scope, but the problem is that, if the writer is sub-par, all of it collapses. It becomes boring.

tldr;
Log Horizon is a pretentious and dull mess.

Also, thoughtful? Fuck off.

It really makes you think

DEENed beyond saving

Your argument is that Overlord is a brainless power fantasy and that's fine because it's all the author is capable of writing. However, Log Horizon approaches its narrative from a more cerebral perspective, yet that's boring because muh MC ain't killing stuff in one hit. Anything that inserts thought and a process is pretentious to you? I think you're just an idiot, user. Log Horizon has structure, a set narrative with several subplots and mysteries interwoven into it and an actual cast of characters, not shallow harem members whose big development is not obeying the skeleton to a T. Just because you don't have the patience or attention span to understand a simple but engaging story doesn't mean there isn't one.

tl;dr
You're a mong

>millions of people not wanting to go back to the real world and are fine just chilling

This was garbage, like i'm supposed to believe none of them care about what's gonna happen to their real bodies. I remember the end of S1 teased the MC was gonna do something about it then S2 wasted time on the dumb assassin chick and her retarded love triangle and then the dumb ass kids getting an arc when nobody cares about them

Shut up, Marche.

>Overlord
>interesting characters
wew lad

>Why is this so overrated? Easily the least thoughtful and well written work out of all the MMO and Isekai shit being pumped out.

ftfy

But to be fair, it's probably not the LEAST thought out, but somewhere in the middle. There are some exceptionally well thought out parts and some absolutely retarded garbage parts.

>I'd put it over Overlord, too.
This one is a matter of personal opinion. I can see how someone would prefer it over Overlord. I ain't got no beef with this opinion.

Overlord is a mess, there's no way around that. But to pretend that Log Horizon is more 'cerebral'' is utter horseshit. Overlord has quite a cast too, with several subplots.

You thinking that it is an engaging story is entirely your opinion. I happen to like long, drawn out stories with lots of setup, characterization and worldbuilding, but this LN fails on all of these levels in my opinion. You might've encountered some characters you actually thought were interesting, where as I did not.

Overlord is a braindead series which fulfills a niché by making the story revolve around 'I want to be a strong bad guy and conquer the world!'-wish fulfillment, while Log Horizon is a 'I want to be a smart glasses-guy who is the best support ever and he has people admiring his intelligence!'-wish fulfillment. Both of them have a simple plot. Shiro not being able to kill things in one hit isn't the point?

>overrated
>essentially forgotten now
That's not what overrated means.

> thoughtful
Fuck you.

Forgot to say; Yeah, the characters in Overlord are dull too, with little to no characterization. But that is a general problem in every Isekai LN.

> with little to no characterization
NWers are written good in my opinion.

It was overrated when it came out. So yeah, that's what it means. Like, no one really talks about Death Note anymore (although I think Netflix is coming out with a new show), but it was overrated when it came out.

Not trying to antagonize you though. Just sayin'

I actually enjoyed Log Horizon overall but it was not well thought out. I liked the parts where they tried to build a society but the technical details like the game mechanics or even how food worked was dreadful, simply dreadful.

For instance, they said all food tasted bland/terrible. Yet they said that they could still taste sweetness. If they can taste sweetness, then why do they consider all food terrible? Especially since they just got to the world and haven't had time to get bored of nothing but sweetness. I mean, unless EVERYONE was a 50 year old diabetic irl, what's with the aversion? The game mechanics are also pretty much fucked. The only explanation for such terribly imbalanced game mechanics is that the game was already on its last legs and its developers were just releasing random content in a cash grab. Or you know, the author is either not a gamer or he just went "fuck it" and took a LOT of artistic licensing.

He's got 2 girls after his dick definitely and a couple marginal cases too.

who says it's underrated?

>tfw you will never have a cute loli ninja to serve your every whim and protect you unto death

It was the meals made by skills and sold by Lander shops that was bland. Ingredient items ( sugar/fruit/spices) had flavors though. If I remember right the trick was getting the game to let you add flavorings without it triggering the result you'd get from a cooking failure.

season 2 would have been so much better without the children

>unironically hating Marche
Can't you see it's not healthy?

FUCK THAT YOU'RE GOING HOME

>They are trapped in the mmo because aliens need to feed on memories
Shit's retarded like the aliens in signs being afraid of water.

>Overlord and Log Horizon
I read/wathed both shows, but damn the introduction of both shows are boring and I was a fool to believe one of them was going to get better later I'm looking at you Overlord. Log Horizon was boring to read/watch and has too many characters to actually give a fuck.
With Overlord, it was painful to read and then watch all the asspulls (specially in the battle with Ainz vs Shalltear) and it doesnt get better after that.

Fucking Shield Hero had a better introduction and the first chapters actually made me read the manga/LNs, and that isekai is pretty average at most. Then it just shat the bed and had to drop it, but had a better development on his MC.

>Then it just shat the bed and had to drop it, but had a better development on his MC.
When did you drop it?

But Shield Bro is fun. Why would you drop it?

At least he read the LNs so it might not have been for him.

COUNTERACTION RISING

How different is Log Horizon LN from the Anime? I need a time sink and wouldn't mind something to scratch my fantasy itch. Isekei not needed, any good series with a DnDesque setting

YEAH WE ARE READY FOR THE PUNCHLINE

Strange for me it was different, LH was okayish.
Overlord i first saw the anime at ep 9 i started reading the LN couldnt stop and i am pretty much hooked into it.
First time i even started reading a LN or a story made me look for the source material. So Overlord is really high up for me in that regard.

Ended up with too much focus on the mage loli. I don't remember the show having any sort of climax. Fun to watch, but a little too slow.

I think it was near the Spirit Turtle Arc.

It's not underrated it's fucking boring. The only thing the show has going for it is the world-building.

The training? yeah i can understand why, though the turtle arc has been revamped from it's WN version.

Because popular shows like sao and titan require people to not think about anything while watching

You'll totally miss this turtle qt though.

I prefer .Hack

I've heard the Shield Hero's LN reworked a lot of stuff from the WN. How true is that?

Vol 5 covers the Island arc which gets redone, Two new characters (in pic related) are intorduced and some of the happenings from the WN are condensed and streamlined. The conference happens BEFORE they go to the islandd. There's a wave on the island this time, and glass reappears.

Vol 6 is an interlude to the spirit turtle arc, and the first battle against it happens at the end. Some characters appear earlier here like Eclair and kiel

Vol 7 is the spirit turtle battle proper, the stakes are raised higher more than ever here. Because the spirit turtle has been taken over by one of the heroes of glass's world

Vo 8 takes place in another world, and is the lastest english published volume.

Jesus, thats a lot of changes. I might retake SH someday (maybe after the anime is aired and Sup Forums starts to hate it after wishing some studio animate it).

People said in other threads the WN ending was a total mess and probably the LN and editor-kun might fix it. I sincerely dont have any clue since I havent read the WN, but how true is that?

The plot seems to be going places now. Lastest JP volume is a cooking arc in glass's world. two voumes before that it was the arc with tact

>log horizon
>underated
what did he mean by this?

So it means editor-kun didnt fix anything at all?

Is Shieldbro finally going to smash that Glass pussy?

So far as with volume 8, it is certain they did. Rather than keeping with the SoL, we get a bit more action and we get more info and goes deeper in the nature of the waves.
Vol 18 seems to be a break for everyone since 17 was that part in the WN where the heroes of glass's world are being killed. But in the LN, they were just starting to so naofumi goes help and takes itsuki and rishia with him. Serving as sort of a redemption arc for itsuki.

But she's lesbian.

>B-but how can Kaneki betray his lover Hide?They weren't just best friends, it was obviously a romantic relationship!
Fuck off fujofag

Glass definitely has feelings for kizuna. Even naofumi notices!

Akatsuki? More like Acutesuki

truly a miracle of the universe

Dot Hack is best

Are you guys hype for Spear hero LN?

Honestly i dont.

How so?

The thing I enjoyed most about Log Horizon was the players pushing to make progress in their new society. Doing science on the game mechanics and exploiting magic to come up with new inventions.

I don't know how many times I've read things containing magic that violates the law of conservation of energy and imagined what one could accomplish if it were applied scientifically.

Too bad the author got the death penalty for tax evasion so we'll never get a conclusion...

So you say he got MAXIMUM PUNISHMENT
then some people say he got arrested
and then other people say he just went pay his taxes after clearing everything up with the jap IRS

JUST WHO IS SAYING THE TRUTH!!??

>I don't know how many times I've read things containing magic that violates the law of conservation of energy and imagined what one could accomplish if it were applied scientifically.
The accelerated heat death of the universe. All of that energy has to come from somewhere

Only the games. The anime, particularly SIGN and ROOTS were borefest.

The universe is a big place. As long as you let the radiation escape out into space you'll probably be fine for quite a while. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Well hope you (or your descendants) can get isekai'd to another universe before the universe freezes over.

As a post modern anime connoisseur I've come to realise that truth is nothing but a state of mind. If I say I can fly and you convince yourself that I'm flying then isn't that the truth?

If we assume that heat death is what's coming anyway there isn't much we can do about it. If thermodynamics hold we're doomed either way and might as well enjoy the ride while it lasts.

>It didnt have enough battles and eye candy bitches to keep my short attention span at bay

its funny autists speak when they have no idea they are autists

The truth is that LH will never be updated.

wishful thinking user

>playing through four 30 hour games..

The Children-filler arc is the reason S2 sucked.

Because nothing really happens and the show is more slice of life than anything else.

The consequences of death are trivially small. It has been 10+ volumes and there is still no real explanation for why they are there or what they plan to do. Relationships are stagnant and constantly teased.

It is flatly inferior to SAO. In SAO, a romantic relationship begins and is resolved. A plot arc is introduced, explained, has a climax, and a conclusion and leads into another (granted, retarded) plot arc. SAO at least told a story, provided answers. You can judge it because those answers are a bit lacking, but on the whole, that is 30000x more brave than Log Horizon, which just wants to keep publishing forever.

I didnt like Spear Hero because the author wanted him to be naive, dumb and the fact the guy would bang whatever thing that has legs and a vagina (including demihuman lolis)

The best thing was how Mamare showed up out of nowhere to chat with us, twice, before it was cool for people who work with anime to post on Sup Forums.

I wish I had a loyal pocket ninja

THERE'S NO USE WITH ALL YOUR GIMMICKS

I guess you'll be missing out on the wild ride that is "The Redo of the Spear Hero"
It's quite insane

Lots of talking

And thats why SAO first arc was so good since it had real danger and repercussions. Now it just sucks and they have to keep adding to to top that. Same thing happened with Dragonball where every bad guy had to be stronger etc etc it ruins story telling

Cause you missed the boat buddy, time travel back to 2013 and get to ask the author why there's no whore class

season 2 was shit. Deen ruined all your favorite character designs. Slow as balls. Story literally never going anywhere

So any guesses what the changes are for a continuation of the series? I say around 20%

do you also complaint like that about moeshit?

Because the show constantly brought up interesting plot points and then never mentioned them again and gave whole episodes of character development and back story to characters who had 60 seconds of screentime before and none whatsoever afterwards while forgetting its main characters. Also the kids squad, which was not very interesting.

ZUUUUTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

It's shit, the author doesn't even know what to do with the story and can't keep a consistent plotline.
The only reason it's liked here is cause he came to Sup Forums to shill his garbage.

Log Horizon has two main problems IMO

- First of all, it has too many characters and the author really want to focus on all of them.
- Nothing happens at all, cause there is no end goal at all in the story.

SO CHECK THIS OUT

cutest couple

Because SAO and Overlord are much better