Are they the Michelangelo and Shakespeare of Japanese animation?

I'm serious, their works are world renowned masterpieces. Jaw dropping visuals, tasteful soundtracks and memorable characters, no other directors come remotely close.

>I'm serious,
No, you are not.

State the name of a director that is more renowned in Japanese animation than Miyazaki.

I'm waiting.

Not the point. I'm just saying you are not serious.

Not sure what that has to do with Ninja Turtles

Miyazaki is

>implying they single handily produced each animation they directed.

I haven't seen a single one of their works.
Suck on that.

Anime holds no candle compared to real art. Being the most renowned anime director is no more impressive than being the fastest snail on the block

That'd be Miyazaki and Takahata, pretty well untouchable in anime and compare favourably to the likes of Norstein and Back. Your post is still retarded though.

/thread

>Real ((kart)))
>the same community that disses well made pieces and celebrates shitty ones like a wooden statue of a man sucking himself off.

>real art

I can think of a few boards you might be from, and none of them are Sup Forums.

Never mind, these two are more interesting than their works.

Anno is a good cinematographer, that's it.
His characters aren't terrible but the way he portrays them are.

What did you think was terrible about Eva?

I bet you're a faggot who puts yourself above others for reading.

Protip: unless you plan on becoming a critic or an artist in a certain field, reading Ulysses doesn't make you any more cultured than a dude who marathons Jersey Shore.

I don't think it's terrible, it's good.
But the way Shinji's and Asuka's feelings were illustrated to the viewer was too clumsy and on the nose.

Careful, it really sounds like you're projecting. Have you read Ulysses?

How though?

I don't know about Shakespeare but Michelangelo had a fuckton of assistants like most sculptors and painters of his time.

One is a talentless hack that got lucky, the other is a hard working genius
How can you even compare them.

More like Borechelangelo and Gayspeare

You sound so pressed lmao

No I just don't get it, if you don't want to explain then that's fine, just say so

Are you fucking retarded?

t.american

Michelangelo didn't ask people to do his job for him. Assistants didn't paint shit.

>NGayE
>masterpiece
Back to MAL or reddit with you.

More like John K and George Lucas respectively.
>NGayE
I think you need to go back if you don't think Gunbustah is a masterpiece user.

>More like John K and George Lucas respectively.
But Miyazaki and Anno both have more than one remarkable work to their names

>(((real art)))

I think it's pretty clear what he meant

but he won an oscar tho

>real art
No movie or series comes even fucking close to obscure anime in term of depth and cinematography. Anybody saying otherwise is just blinded by their upbringing in an environment filled with Western-style propaganda and directing and is therefore biaised and objectively wrong.

Watanabe and Oshii

Renowned does not mean good, does it?
Even Shinkai is renowned but, well...
Anyway what about Hosoda, Kon, Yuasa?

Fuck off regressive retard.

Tell me about Miyakazki, why does he wear the apron?

>No movie or series comes even fucking close to obscure anime in term of depth and cinematography

Replace Anno with Kon

Renowned doesn't mean good, necessarily, but artists are typically renowned because they are good. And the difference between Miyazaki's and Shinkai's "renown" is the context; you'll see both successful and well-reviewed, but Miyazaki has a bigger following within the more high brow film community. At least as far as feature films go (short films are the primary format of animation), he's considered one of the best.

t. /lit/ pseuds

Bait, right?
What about movies like The Seventh Seal, Videodrome, Un Chien Andalou, The 400 Blows, Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari and things like that?

No shit it's bait

Who cares about that old shit?

Miyzazaki is a craftsman but he's not an artist. He nails the core of animation down like no one else.
Anno is an artist but he wastes his talent and didn't create that many masterpieces in my opinion.

I think Kon is better.

In what way do you think Miyazaki isn't an artist? I know he personally doesn't believe he is one, which I think is interesting.

>I'm really good at making turd towers while pooping, thus I'm the Isaac Newton of shit stacking
Being good at something that isn't all that remarkable to begin with is hardly an accomplishment.

Is he cook animes? why he wear apron always??

What the fuck are you doing on Sup Forums to begin with? Get the fuck back to your home on Sup Forums and never come back, you shit-eating faggot.

(You)

I can understand Anno's one work being considered high-brow, but why Miyazaki? His works are genuine, charming and beautiful, but rather simple. Yuasa, Dezaki, Kon and Kenji Nakamura are similar in that regard.

High brow to me besides Anno would be directors like Oshii or Ikuhara.

What is your definition of artist?
Anno has a good artistic sense but he doesn't have much of value to share with the world. He doesn't even have his own style. He's just a copycat.

>Un Chien Andalou
That's literally a fucking meme film. Don't even put that shit together to stuff like The 400 Blows.

What are you talking about? He created the most honest and personal work in the medium. What director has a similar style to him? Show me something similar in anime that had similar scenes of visualized introspection.

I disagree with how you're using the terms, but either way high brow low discussion is pretty well a waste of time. No matter what you want to call it, Miyazaki's taken more seriously in "that" crowd. I think simple is an understatement, and even if you disagree, animation is typically simple in concept. Norstein makes simple films too.

The true sucessor of Æschylus.

>Miyzazaki is a craftsman but he's not an artist.
But he's an auteur, so of course he's an artist. I think you're confused.

>High brow to me besides Anno would be directors like Oshii or Ikuhara.

Those are all pretentious faggots who only do things because they sound complicated and look cool. There is nothing high brow about the work itself, it's just the audience reaction to it, that gives it that high brow aura which isn't intrinsic to the work itself.
At least they're better than the wave of otaku creators we have now, with the best talent being a furryfag and a feetfag.

>Anno
>high brow

Personally I don't think Eva is not particularly honest or anything.
Also stop watching exclusively anime. Eva is not particularly remarkable either technically or thematically.
Even looking just at the anime medium he massively ripped off Dezaki, Tomino, Nagai among others without really adding anything of his own.
His "style" just a pastiche of the styles of other Western and Japanese directors with some clumsy entry-level existentialist pseudo-psychological blabber thrown in, which is not a particularly unique feature either.

Takahata is a lot better than Miyazaki. Only Yesterday is the equivalent of a cinema work and the only true mature work in anime. Nothing even stands close to it.

Ingmar Bergman did in Persona 60 years ago much better then Anno evere did.

They're both great, the two best in my opinion, but I prefer Miyazaki. They're very different directors.

The top three directors of anime

damn, thats shit taste dude, especially the bottom one.

Because you're still a manchild. You're the reason why nostalgia cashgrabs are a thing.

everyone that watches anime is a manchild in a way.

lol says the fag who watches cartoons

That's true. Only difference is just how much of a manchild you are.

Just how much of a manchild am I?

Did I step into Sup Forums by accident? I want out

>Jaw dropping visuals, tasteful soundtracks and memorable characters, no other directors come remotely close.

I can't help but notice you didn't include good writing, so carry on with your post.

>Soap operas in space told through a toy commercial
>Pulpy science fiction anime
>Style over substance

Only good for entertainment.

You really need to stop shitposting with this image on your phone.

thats the point of anime - entertainment. But maybe you will understand this when you grow up and stop caring about all the pseudo intellectuals.

because he cooks anime

>the Michelangelo and Shakespeare of Japanese animation?

I like entertainment, I actually rather have that than a pseudo intellectual anime. And even as a big tominofag, it's hard to justify his works ever being anything more than just entertainment. Which is fine, I think all he ever wanted is to entertain.

But the medium itself is limitless, it's open to all sorts of possibilities.