What do you want to see in an Isekai

hard mode: that isn't already in an Isekai series

Other urls found in this thread:

novelupdates.com/series/kono-sekai-ga-game-da-to-ore-dake-ga-shitte-iru/
novelupdates.com/series/loli-manko/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

quality.

fpbp

Non fantasy world Isekai (no magic, no bullshit powers, etc)

A fantasy world hero getting transported to a sci fi world.

hikki faceless neet transported to a loli filled fantasy world he maintains his original body and is the only male human.
There are loli elves,loli goblins,loli undeads,loli monsters
he wants to return to his world(or doesn't?) because he was about to rescue a real loli but he got transported to this world before he could.

what would you substitute for it to make your world interesting?

No actual RPG/video game elements. It's fine if the characters use their knowledge of fantasy and video games to figure out how the world works but shit like actual menus and stat screens is just fucking obnoxious to me. Even the best isekai are bogged down by this shit.

Dude actually trying to come back to his own world would be nice to see for once.

>The world runs on RPG mechanics
>The hero is special because he doesn't, so he can do stuff like attacking people when it's not his turn

A good story. Not info dump about world building and setting. Not pages and pafes explaing level up systems, menus, and skills. Not characters doing intospection.

An actual well thought out and interesting plot.

>It's fine if the characters use their knowledge of fantasy and video games to figure out how the world works but shit like actual menus and stat screens is just fucking obnoxious to me.

This, imagine if Record of Lodoss war (a show whose story was a D&D session) actually brought up rolls. That's the equivalent of what most isekai do nowadays by constantly shoving in menus and LEVEL UP shit everywhere.

I though LMS and Kumo did pretty well with it (until recently)

What's the problem with introspection? I think it's pretty normal for some self-evaluation in a sudden another world scenario. I can understand if it's done way too often, but I can't see why it has no place.

Early isekai did that and that trope annoyed the fuck out of people. If the MC has no reason to go back to his world then it's idiotic for him to go back to it for no reason.

novelupdates.com/series/kono-sekai-ga-game-da-to-ore-dake-ga-shitte-iru/
There is an isekai just like that with speedrunning

though needed it doesn't pass the hard mode because 12 kingdoms exist

He gets transported to alternate Earth. It's exactly the same, his family is even there except the him of that world has been dead for over a year. They think he came back to life and the government is after him to learn how he revived.
It's a SoL, Drama, Comedy. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

An isekai about a boy that has an unrequited love of a girl but gets transported into another world where she's the one that's in love with him.

if you replace "no males" with "all the males are small-dicked shotas" you get this

novelupdates.com/series/loli-manko/

C/D
This is the best isekai

Series that actually delivers on its premise

>read I Kinda Came to Another World, but Where’s the Way Home?
>prologue is basically Kumagawa getting isekai'd
>rest of the series is standard generic isekai faire

I swear Isekai is a genre devoted to lost potential

This.

A good setting. A good story. An acceptable presentation of both of these.

No isekai managed that yet. Fantasy bullshit with game mechanics, stupid 4th wall breaking reasoning and out-of-setting decisions is all that is delivered by the existing isekai works. Self-insertion brain wank.

This isnt the shieldbro thread?

Inverted Isekai, someone born with magical knowledge in a world where Technology has long since replaced magic.

I legitimately want this.

anime adaptation when?

A normie dad clicking through the vidya update of his neet son.
Too much of the problem is the same generic MC type in all the isekais; a difference of perspective or worldviews would save the genr... pfff, lets be reasonable, make it not as cancer.
Alice and Zouroku was good, but that was like ichisekai or whatever you call Sana's circumstances.

Because it's often used to cover for a rather bland story and people often confuse series with heavy introspection as being good stories.

Release that witch, my man, except translation is fucking reader than dead, thanks qidian

>Tensei series with absolutely no cheats besides the fact he has adult knowledge as a kid.
>"trapped in a VRMMO" where the guy is an average player that starts at level one
>"summoned to defeat the demon lord" series where the entire series is about defeating said demon lord, and the demon lord is actually as scary and evil as everyone says
>A "fish out of water" narrative where the MC doesn't have powers and is more about the MC trying to adapt into the world. It's Isekai because his eyes are your eyes and not because of any special modern magic
>otome reincarnation series where the destruction flag is actually a threat to the MC
>RPG mechanics that actually restricts the MC rather than make him OP
>magic rules that the MC has to follow just like everyone else
>cheats that don't break the game, where the MC is only powerful because of how he uses the cheat rather than the cheat itself (see OP, HxH, Jojo, etc.)
>monogamous relationships
>side characters that aren't just cheerleaders and harem girls
>memorably villains more interesting than the heroes
>Deep and intricate politics
>Church that are well meaning but flawed or actually as good as people say they are

Anyone else find it odd that most of the settings and mechanics in isekai are based on dragon quest when dragon quest itself isn't isekai?

oh and I forgot

>A revenge fantasy that leads to tragedy at the end and explores the problems of revenge
>A suffering series where the suffering is due to special circumstances of the world and not "because people are dicks/incompetent" (see: Berserk and Dark Souls)

I myself wondered where the "summoned hero" trope originated from

No more openly being an RPG video game. It just cheapens the entire premise.

More fully fleshed out, real fantasy worlds with creative histories. Even Seven Deadly Sins has it's own world.

If you're going to make a "oh no, I accidentally fell into a magical world" thing, at least make it somewhat tragic like Escaflowne, or hilarious like El Hazard.

No more MMO shit.

Yeah but I don't think it has no place in a story. Just like any writing element, it can be overdone though.

>Have a story
>Actually fucking stick to it from beginning to end instead of going off on random tangents for the purpose of wish fulfillment
>A cast that's actually well developed and purpose-serving toward the themes and motifs set by the story instead of just templates for harem archetypes
>No generic RPG levels/ skill system. If you want a magic system at least be creative and come up with your own

That's literally all I ask. The last bit isn't even completely necessary. For god's sake, give me a solid fucking story that moves fluently from point A to point B without pointless hit in between. I don't need an entire chapter dedicated to a useless NEET's first attempt at worldbuilding that totally breaks the flow of the plot. Introduce the world through the plot, not aside from it. Web novels are a fucking mistake.

Fuck it, just read Dragon Quest Dai.

Same setting and defeat the demon lord premise as most Isekai but an actual fun adventure and good characters.

I like stories that twist the normal settings a bit.

It's not an isekai, but VRMMO characters ending up replacing their real selves is a neat new idea to me.

>reminder this is the only good scene in Shield Bro manga and the best part in the LN.

Spear hero 's redo /Yari no Yūsha no Yarinaoshi Spinoff Story Gets Print Novels and Manga
The August issue of Kadokawa's Monthly Comic Flapper magazine revealed on Wednesday that Aneko Yusagi's Yari no Yūsha no Yarinaoshi story, a spinoff of the author's The Rising of the Shield Hero (Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari), will get print novel volumes and a manga adaptation. Kadokawa will begin publishing the the print volumes under its MF Books label this fall. As with the print versions of The Rising of the Shield Hero, Seira Minami will draw the illustrations for the novels. The manga will debut on the ComicWalker and Nico Nico Seiga website on August 21. Neet (Mayo Chiki! manga, Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata ~egoistic-lily~) is drawing the manga.

I wonder why now of all times. We havent gotten to the part where motoyasu unlocks his Dragon's era minute hand spear yet. Unless he does so in volume 18 or 19.

Well, anime is incoming and they probably want to make as much money as possible.

Well as long as we get to see rifana, i guess that's good.

I Was Sent To A Fantasy World And I Spent The Next Five Years Reading Every Book In A Library Before I Make Any Uninformed Decision?!?!?

The guy decides to not become a chosen one, but rather uses his knowledge about things that are elementary in modern age, yet completely unknown in the itmes of old to become a rich corporate head.

If I was transported to a fantasy world and had immediate access to a library and the ability to read the books, I would absolutely take the time to brush up on some 'common' knowledge. Not five years worth though, maybe a few weeks or a month at most.

Mushoku Tensei?

Well, trying to go back to your life, your family and friends would be a normal reaction if isekai mcs weren't such wish fullfillment for lonely otakus

MC is a well-adjusted individual with a fulfilling life, beautiful loving wife, and children. fulfilling job and friends to count on.

He gets summoned to your generic Isekai world to defeat the demon king, is given a battle harem etc etc.

He doesn't play along and joins the demon king with the condition that he returns him to his world.

I would settle with good worldbuilding and an actual reason for them to be in that fantasy world. The fatass who writes A Song of ICe and Fire said that the real mc in fantasy is the fantasy world, having a world that's not bland is a minimum requirement for fantasy of any type, specially if you have a character strange to this world suddenly thrown into it. Escaflowne and Magic Knight Rayearth fullfill those conditions, hell, even Inuyasha does something more interesting with the premise of why a normal person was thrown into fantasy than any modern isekai.

I like my characters to have believable motivations not do things merely because "that's the moral of the story"

Cylcia = Code?

or better yet

MC makes a beeline to defeating the demon lord disregarding harem and all that shit to get back home in the shortest time possible

Ensemble cast with no clear main protagonist, ala Baccano or DRRR. A major failing of most isekai is the singular self-insert who can do everything, so just have an entire cast on even ground.

Authors cant even handle one MC and you want them to write a bunch of them?

Post yfw you remember this is isekai manga.

Isekai from the mid-90s is fucking great too.

I want to see a parody of the isekai genre. Or a deconstruction of it.

"MC transported to other world, gais OP powers and builds a harem" is garbage that a 12 year old can churn out. Why bother paying an adult to write it? There are literally 12 year olds who will write this for minimum wage. Or just one of those ghost writer programs, like the one that won a competition for best LN.

An actual Isekai series should put emphasis on the MC adapting to the new world...everything ranging from the local language to the culture to living in a different time period. Most of the time, this is simply hand waved away because the author finds it too hard.

Most of the time, female characters also have no personality and readers remember them solely by how attractive they are. Male characters are usually just there to make the MC look good.

How the MC got to that world is often just handwaved away too or ignored till the very end.

Re:zero puts in SOME effort to do it but some of the characters behave in very unrealistic ways. No girl would have reacted like Rem did in that famous "I love emilia" scene. Rem should have ran away from Subaru, because he fucked up big time. Instead, he gets no consequences for doing something incredibly stupid.

getting isekai'd into other places that are not fantasy medieval europe

>I want to see a parody of the isekai genre.
Konosuba
>Or a deconstruction of it.
Re:zero

Example :

>MC get transported to other world
>goes around speaking japanese, everyone just stares at him because they don't know what he is talking about
>gets chased by the guards because he looks like a spy
>bumps into some noble girl, tries to casually ask for help, he gets executed on suspicion of trying to rape her

>real MC gets transported to the same world, sees fake MC's head mounted on the gate
>avoids the city, survives by being low key
>series is all about him adapting to and surviving in a hostile world
>MC's love interest is an average looking peasant
>no OP powers
>adventurers are expensive mercenaries with their own gear or ones who work for a mercenary unit that loans out gear, not random teenagers
>MC doesn't even bother trying to be an adventurer because he doesn't know how to fight and has no gear
>if a village gets attacked, the noble in charge actually does something about it because letting your sources of tax revenue get destroyed is a really dumb idea

konosuba is a straight comedy not a parody

maybe Kuro no Maou is what you are looking for

I could use proper world building. Seems to me japs just suck at it, throwing elements here and there without any justification or sense.

Actual different cultures, not lazy not-japan/not-europe/not-x paint jobs.

An MC that isn't a faggot.

they should be like Western fantasy and use Tolkien settings

>Seems to me japs just suck at it
Maybe you should read something other than LNs you piece of trash

this

reminder that Abenobashi done it better

Some retard neet hikki gets sent to a cyberpunk setting world.

Then you should just read Western Fantasy you fuck, this is Japanese at their finest.

Thats a fucking lie you dumb gaijin

A waifu-tier dragon girl and at least a passable plot to accompany her.

re:zero fails at being a deconstruction.

It completely skips the issues of local language, culture, etc. The fact that the MC is walking around wearing what looks like track suit should be a huge problem, but pretty much nobody cares.

Emilia, the maids and even Rosewaal are WAY too nice to someone like Subaru. The way the other nobles talk down to and make use of Subaru is far more realistic.

Going from OP powers to suffering isnt enough for a deconstruction, especially since Subaru still lives a life nicer than what he did in the old world. He gets to rub shoulders with nobility, do something actually important and easily marry a 8/10 girl...NONE of which he would have had the chance to do as a NEET. He just fucks up oppportunities by doing dumb shit like declaring himself to be Emilia's knight or for insisting on becoming a servant.

Guy gets killed, god rewards him with being a god of his own world.

Slowly improved the world to our level and beyond.

Now define "improve"

No MC with skill stealing powers.

Sci fi/Space Opera isekai. I want alien waifus.

or at least nerf the damn thing

like "MC can use it but not as efficiently as the person fucking trained all his life in it"

Ruler of the Land kinda did it right with that

too bad that almost all isekai manga are adapted from very badly written LNs.

I think the shoujo ones outnumber them desu

This one is fun. It makes a lot more sense since it's a mishmash of a game and reality. Like the people are "real," in the sense they have their own thoughts and will, but the world itself still follows the rules of the game.

Would have almost been great if they did less melee wankery with battle thristy edge mcs and instead would just explore all the interaction of those historical figues with the new fantasy surounding

no "misunderstood demon folk"

An Isekai that actually explores the imperialist subtext of the genre.

Like if the reverse happened where a white guy goes into not-Sengoku Japan and "civilizes them" with western technology while saying their food and culture is "not in their taste" you know the rest.

Yes.

Look at this gaijin thinking this would be popular

>No RPG elements.
>Language barriers.
>Extreme culture clashes between MC and his companions, not utter acceptance.
>Actual understanding of technological progress, understanding the basics needed to actually go from point A-point B tech wise.
>Racism for good reasons. Not just "oh this race so beautiful and pure." Give both the good and bad of each race, and give legitimate reasons on why they may hate each other, such as old wars over resources, slights against each other etc.
>If there is magic, set out the guidelines for understanding and utilizing magic. This is where they can get creative, make it fucking count.

I swear, it's almost like this list is made up to take away the fun out of stories.

It should start with the writing style. Showing non MC characters first introduce themselfs in their mind and then react to some shit the previous chapter already was about just from another perseptive is bullshit.
Instead there should be a limited number of permanent character views. And non of them should just a repetition of what just happened. Either show the result or have them be entierly disconected and only hearing of things never even met the MC. Kinde like GoT(sorry, just the most prominent example) where one story strang happens on another continint and they sometimes hear how things are doing somewhere else, but of course not an eyewitness account.

not saying it would be popular (unless something happens that makes Japan ashamed like post-Vietnam America, post-WWII Germany, and post British Empire England).

but I still want to see it happen regardless.

realismfags are the worst

Only one I can think of is Nectar of Dharani

Not him, but those things are fun. What is important are the interactions not the things that are

I don't agree with some of them. Language barriers are just a wast of time since MC is going to learn them anyway and should make it his first priority to do so) and understanding tech require expertise that even GOOD works disregard most of the time.

the Racism bit and and magic points I definitely want and the culture clash makes for good drama.

The perfect isekai has already been written

Do shit right. You can still have your harems, overpowered protagonists, and other junk. But an understanding of the world and the people in it is just as important. Different people from different cultures clash on various issues. If you are transferred to another world, especially one that is less technologically advanced and has magic, you can bet your ass that there will be huge differences in culture, beliefs and moral values. Add in various races and you have all cauldron of differing values.

Not only that, but nothing is more annoying than racism without context. It's always designed in such a way for "woe is me to be hated by everyone, I love you since you see past that." If you're going to make people racist, give a good in story reason why. Give some of the funny insults.

Also great

though the guy you are attacking is alright I fucking hate people that talk about realism in a genre literally about a person going into another world (because slipping into another universe altogether is realistic as fuck).

It's like the autists that complain about how physically impossible mechs are.

I like magic
I like catgirls
I like RPG tropes

what I don't like is the MC with no real personality traits getting OP abilities and treating in a generic DQ rip-off taking missions from adventure guilds and curb-stomping pretty much everything with his cookie cutter harem cheerleading squad save the occasional god.

can I get a fish out of water story in a fantastical fantasy setting without it devolving to an OPMC wankfest? or do I have to choose between the wankfest and the MC sucking at everything and dying in slavery because he can't understand the language?