Platinum Mad translated to Dagnabbit Mad

>Platinum Mad translated to Dagnabbit Mad
Who is James Balzer and how can I make sure he never touches this shit again?

write a review?
I will never bother with this official translated shit because they either add their own useless flair or they change something to appeal to a western audience.

I hate these "it's English but the Japanese don't actually mean the English they're using" words. Shit like hambagu to salisbury steak is an obvious translation that should be done but something like platinum to dagnabbit is just fucking stupid.

How does that even happen

The Bake and Kizu translations didn't have any of this since they actually had a competent translator.

It's a shame he can't translate every book. At least that's the reason they used this Balzer guy.

IRRC wasn't the translator for kizu officially recognized by the author? Or was it friends? Don't remembe that much

And even if you wanted to subscribe to that school of translation, the point of using English is that it sounds cool. This is so fucking bad it would be unbelievable if I didn't already know that LN translating companies aren't real translation houses.

Fucking typo, but here's what it said.
"The publisher Vertical has stated the translator was selected by Nisio Isin's staff."

If you're reading a novel in any language but Japanese you're doing it wrong regardless.

Wait, really? I haven't read mine yet but what the fuck? Why did they even change translator?
Now I'm conflicted over buying the rest.

Probably to keep up this release schedule. They're releasing the novels only like 3 months apart now which is impossible to do with only 1 guys translating the whole series.

Seems like that, Vertical said on Twitter that one translator is not enough for the whole series. Ko Ransom (translator of the previous books) is going to translate the two Nekomonogataris.

Quite a shame that we lost Nise to the other guy seeing that almost nothing of it was ever fantranslated

I was able to overlook any translation issues in the first few books, but this "dagnabbit" shit is just too far. I just can't comprehend why they do shit like this.

This guy probably subscribes to the Commie school of translation in which EVERYTHING needs to be changed from the original script to 'best' fit the new audience.

ffs

They had "Senjougahara Tore" translated to "My heart smelts for you, Senjougahara". Which means that the joke (moe -> tore) works in English (melt -> smelt) but it loses it's cultural connotation and sounds far more awkward due to its wordiness.

The connection is a random idea in relation to the kanji that Senjougahara rambled about.

Prettyy sure it's because there's some word play with platinum that doesn't translate at all to English.

>that midriff

So he localized it with something that isn't wordplay at all?

I'm completely OK with it considering platinum mad is word play for "slightly mad" and dagnabbit mad is word play for dagn "a bit" mad.

That still makes me platinum mad.