Where did HxH go wrong, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uw8Io09FeL4
youtube.com/watch?v=O5uVoqafQWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Turn a comedic relief moment into a pedophile evangelion rip-off
>good thing
lol

I use to think right looked cool but now that I know the context I think its stupid as fuck. Why did they make Kurapika's training look like some short of mindfuck?

Right makes more sense and is funny because Kurapika had to do all those weird things to learn how to conjure chains but he talks about it like its the most normal thing ever.

*I use to think left looked cool*

Oh my bloody chain

Not ending at Yorknew

When people started fighting over which anime was better even though the manga beats both.

incorrect. the art is better and consistent in the anime, has very good animation, very good ost, and the voice actors that were important did an amazing job. those are the only things you have to worry about for an anime adaptation other than actually adapting it correctly. they fucked up with kite, but did adapt other things better than how the manga portrayed the events. (gon san)
also, it ends at a point that you could actually consider it as an ending.

Is HxH the Evangelion of shonen?

More?

Holy fuck was the 1999 version that pretentious?All Kurapika is doing is explaining his power obtained through simple training fucking cool down.

Yeah. I gotta agree. The animation, music and VAs were terrible in the manga.

Nah, just an overrated series with massive plot holes. People still like it because muh Hisoka.

The manga looks like absolute shit most of the time.

O my shitty tripcode

It doesn't and that includes the sketches pages which aren't the final version anyway so you'd be wrong to count them to begin with.
Consider growing some taste.

>putting effort into creating meaningful visual storytelling is now "pretentious"
Stick to 2011

Nope. People who think they like it for the story rather than the art just don't realize how good Togashi is at visually conveying the story and how much it impacts their enjoyment of it.

Aside from that, much of the art is good and clean and his reputation is just fucked because he had that one period of time where he physically couldn't draw past the first draft. His art is painfully underrated by meme spouting bandwagoning plebs.

Feeling chains to get a good idea of their structure turned into Evangelion bondage with grim dark lighting. I'll be the first to admit that 2011 looked a bit bland but the cinematography should suit the mood the situation needs. If it was Kurapika struggling with desire for revenge I would get it but it's just a bit of image training.

the fact that the manga doesn't have them is the reason why the manga is not better.
thanks for understanding

No, embellishing a part of the story that has absolutely no significance in the grand scheme of things is "pretentious." I definitely agree that the art direction and artwork of 99 often beats out 2011, but don't try and convince anyone that this particular scene was at all "meaningful" just because it looked nice. Having Kurapika infodump about how he learned to conjure his chains is equally as effective as what 99 did and doesn't take away at all from the plot.

The whole point of that post was to make it clear that you can't judge a manga with the same metrics you would use to judge anime.

>but don't try and convince anyone that this particular scene was at all "meaningful" just because it looked nice.
It is meaningful though

2011 Kurapika tells Gon that he experienced heavy and cold hallucinations. 1999 shows those hallucinations with no dialogue.

He literally says that he experiences those types of hallucinations. So what if it's grim dark? That doesn't make it bad you toddler.

He said he started to hallucinate chains. Nothing implied some sort of Evangelion tier mind fuck.

This is not one of your generals you fucking newfag

I think there's a distinction that needs to be made between something conveying meaning and something being meaningful. What 1999 and 2011 both do is "convey meaning": the audience is told how Kurapika learned to conjure his chains. The elaborate, artful way 1999 chooses to do this does not, however, make a comment on the themes of the show or reveal much about Kurapika's character (we already know why he wants the chains, so a lot of the imagery just needlessly reinforces what's already been said). As such, there's nothing "meaningful" about what's done in 1999. Nobody's disputing it looks good, but it's definitely fair to construe the scene as pretentious.

>The elaborate, artful way 1999 chooses to do this does not, however, make a comment on the themes of the show or reveal much about Kurapika's character
Of course it does

There's way more to be said about Kurapika's resolve after the visuals in 1999 than 2011's exposition

le ants

youtube.com/watch?v=uw8Io09FeL4

2011 really butchered this scene.

Man, I forgot exactly how bland 2011 was.

Okay, you've had your fun. Now let's post some scenes that were vastly improved.

youtube.com/watch?v=O5uVoqafQWs

>Nah, just an overrated series with massive plot holes
So the Evangelion of Shonen

>massive plot holes
Such as?

So the Evangelion of shonen?

Gon should've died desu.

Man, the turn of the century really did some damage to anime's color pallet

This. It's the worst thing ever.
Digital coloring was a mistake.

There's newer anime with good color palettes but most don't even try.

Same thing with western cartoons and Flash and CGI. They see it as a "oh good this is much easier and faster now" and get lazy and the result is shit. With work it can look good but they didn't pick that method with the intention to do more work in the first place.
Of course there are exceptions.

But Evangelion is shounen.

Hisoka should have raped Alluka.

>As such, there's nothing "meaningful" about what's done in 1999.
Not that user, but watching 2011 made out more clear just how obsessed Kurapika was with getting revenge.

Cont.
Later on in the story, you're told by Wing that what Kurapika did was incredibly dangerous and shouldn't be copied. Gon later on ends up sharing Kurapika's mindset during the chimera ant arc which is how he became Gon-san.

In other words it makes more sense to play it off as serious rather than as a joke.

Since the start

Get a load of this pleb

Name a Plot Hole

I think both manga and anime have visuals

you can judge the VA between them but you can judge scenes

>Togashi
>visually conveying the story

Have you forgotten the ultra dense omniscient narration that suddenly kicked in during the chimera ant arc?

How could you forget Majesty?

childhood is loving the left
adulthood is knowing the right makes more sense

this shit went hiatus for a reason
author's straight out of good ideas, but forced to continue

The characters are awful, leaving a gaping void in the plot where you are supposed to insert likable characters into.

Actually considering the later arcs, left makes more sense.

That's not a plot hole, that's a shit opinion.

Literally the opposite of what you said

>vastly improved
>still looks worse
ok

O