Exposition.png

>exposition.png

Do isekai authors actually feel good about themselves for writing this shit, or has it become a money game?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Stranded_in_fantasy
youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4-PfsdVTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some brutal deconstruction needs to happen to this foresaken genre.

A deconstruction would leave nothing left.

>has it become a money game
For the publishers, it always was
They've spent years scouting people from webnovel sites, which are like any regular website where random amateurs can post whatever poorly thought out power fantasy pops into their heads
It's exactly the opposite of the west, where you need to camp out on a publisher's doorstep and bathe in goat's blood to bribe Satan to sneak you past all the gatekeepers
Somehow both approaches manage to churn out total garbage
No gods, no hope

>Somehow both approaches manage to churn out total garbage
The west method doesn't require any effort on the part of the publishers though so obviously it's superior.

Dragon quest was a mistake

>or has it become a money game

It has always been about the money game. The least you can expect from isekai, at least right now, is quality.

>Do isekai authors actually feel good about themselves for writing this shit
It's all fabricated and everyone knows it, no one who writes or reads this stuff actually fails to understand that, people who read this stuff want a fantasy that panders to them in extreme ways and they get exactly that. Otaku have more self-awareness than people in this board give them credit for, they just don't really give a shit.

Has there ever even been a good Isekai?

Yes

all otomegame isekai are good
also Nigotta Hitomi no Lilianne

Some of the older (more delusional) isekai authors think their writing is smart and deep like the MT guy.

No. There's just been ones that aren't utter garbage.

>No Issekai about someone who's reborn as an NPC
>Forced to stand in one place and repeat the same phrase over and over, he gradually goes insane

>4 sentences
I wanted to read a manga not a goddamn book

>makes rat poison
>accidentally finds an exploit with the laws of the universe
Gotta admit I chuckled. If purely out of the shear stupidity of the rest of the world.

Not in Japan.

Log Horizon and Those Who Hunt Elves, but those are pre-isekai isekai and only fit the genre through technicality.

>but those are pre-isekai isekai and only fit the genre through technicality.
The fuck you talking about.

I gotchu.

Yes

"Isekai" is just an abbreviation we use to describe a current fad in Nipponese storytelling. When we're talking about isekai we're referring to a specific set of meme stories that are all derivative of each other, and not the stuffed that hailed before sharing the qualifier of being about "another world".

I'm retarded, I had a brain fart, hit post too early, and completely lost track of what the fuck I was talking about. But
>log horizon
>those who hunt elves
>pre-isekai isekai
Isekai existed for decades before those even came along, if anything they're post-isekai. And Those who Hunt Elves had come out in the midst of the original isekai boom, you seem to be forgetting how many derivative fantasy isekai there were back then.
>only fit the genre through technicality
What technicality? If the series takes place in an alternate world, it's an isekai. They may be quality shows, but let's call them what they are. We don't need to make distinctions or excuses, just say that some of them are good and some of them are shit.

Isekai = another world. I agree that current isekai fads are shit but I don't think we need to make excuses for them. A lot of people seem to forget how prevalent isekai anime was in the 80s and 90s, particularly in the mecha genre.

So you don't consider Nirvana isekai even though it started in 2016.

Its called westworld my nigger

>Isekai = another world. I agree that current isekai fads are shit but I don't think we need to make excuses for them. A lot of people seem to forget how prevalent isekai anime was in the 80s and 90s, particularly in the mecha genre.
When we make threads like this those aren't what we talk about. Nobody even knew the word until a couple years ago and those older series most certainly didn't refer to themselves as such.

You niggers sound like the dweebs who used to correct every usage of NTR when it didn't line up with the literal definition.

Why?

Because it's made during the current trend but isn't a part of the current trend.

Is there a specific thing that triggered the recent isekai trend?

And do time travel stories count as isekai?

>Is there a specific thing that triggered the recent isekai trend?
Mushoku Tensei

Ah, how about the addition of rpg mechanics?

>do time travel stories count
Nah
I haven't read it but if it doesn't share the same derivative characteristics as those works that actually contain "isekai" in their title, then I'd only say it's "technically" isekai and when we say "isekai needs to end" or the like, that particular series isn't included.

Shield Hero probably

>Log Horizon will never get a S3

>West Wind Brigade manga
>v.4 c.17 by Sup Forumsnonymous (966d ago)

Reverse isekai > regular isekai

Has anybody won the Sadaobowl yet?

I want to see an isekai series where the MC is transported to a parallel world like ours, tries to become an isekai author, but the difference is that the editors there have quality standards, so he always gets rejected by every publisher.

He becomes infamous for writing shitty isekai (because thats all he knows from our world) that his submissions get instantly thrown into the trash by every publisher.

The series is about the MC trying to understand why writing shitty isekai with mary sue MCs is bad.

funny how almost none of those get a manga adaptation.

Theres like two that i can think of, and their translations have been stalled for months. Meanwhile other groups keep translating garbage like death march.

So web novels?

protip : when people say the isekai genre these days, they are usually referring to one with the following elements :

>MC transported to other world
>usually because of some dumb reason like getting hit by a truck or a god did it
>returning to the previous world isnt the focus of the story
>MC is either OP or becomes OP shortly after the series start
>everyone else is incompetent by comparison
>MC quickly gains a harem even if he is unattractive, behaves like an asshole and doesn't do anything to further a relationship with the girls
>90% or more of the story is about the MC flexinng his muscles and building his harem while badly written villains are humbled by the MC

>Meanwhile other groups keep translating garbage like death march.
That's still the top of the garbage bin compared to some of the other isekai groups will pick up.

Blame Sword Art Online

What do you think of these villains?

>been shilling this manga for a month
>still no tl
These niggas would rather translate that shit about being in another world with a smartphone.

>a money game
>where you write amateur stories online in your free time
I somehow doubt it.

SAO started the "I'm trapped in/playing an vrmmo" sort genre fad. Eventually it mixed with isekai and gave us stuff like overlord.

>mc is from another world
>isn't actually from another world at all
square is isekai kino

Her story is a true story about Japanese history. Nobody knew that they could use two swords until Musashi Miyamoto.

I really appreciate the nightmarish existence some isekai heroes get themselves into, like a dipshit who slaved away for 15 years as a villager farmer peasant and he was only using it as a tutorial mode to figure out how to grind his stats efficiently so he could relive those 15 years of being a villager farmer peasant all over again but come out with brokenly high magic stat. And he did it all to become strong enough to protect his waifu the hero, the absolute madman.

>isekai that uses NTR as character motivation in the exposition

The best (kanji: the worst)

/tg/ does it best
1d4chan.org/wiki/Stranded_in_fantasy

Reminder that the protagonist is best girl

the Gun Gale arc would've been a billion times better if
a.) there was more MC-is-a-girl-now shenanigans
and
b.) the setting wasn't a fucking tournament
the most interesting part of that entire arc was the 5 minute intro where sniper girl is actually out in the game world PKing instead of just participating in boring 1v1 tournament shit

Well the thing is they do sell, maybe not as much as their most popular ones like Slime(50k) Arifureta(30k+) etc but they sell more than decently even the garbage ones which should be bombing. Isekai Smartphone should be a very good example.

Good

LN Kirito actually looked like a girl outside GGO. People would mistaken him for a girl so much that he deliberately made his SAO avatar masculine looking. In some of the LN covers, he's somewhat androgynous

Why is it that they almost always have to die? Can't they just go through some portal?

Log horizon was utter shit

I'd honestly watch SAO

Transportation types are almost always like that. Though they mostly get summoned.

What manga

yes. the twist is that in the other world, shitty isekai is thrown into the trash.

>some faggot who looks like a 12 year old literally travels around and women instantly fall in love with him

>top tier

Even arifureta is better than this.

of course they did, they just thought it was dumb since most people have one dominant hand and you cant use both hands to cut through armor.

Top of the garbage bin dumbshit. I'd rather people translate bad writing with good art, than I would bad writing with bad art. Like Gunota or Dugeon Seeker.

This isekai manga now has a promotional music video with Lia doing the vocals.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4-PfsdVTM

No. Japanese people didn't know you could hold things in both hands. This is a fact. I'm completely serious. There's no way I could be making a joke here. It'd be impossible.

Youjo senki actually benefits from being an isekai.

>Sup Forums hyping this
>still no chapters translated
Am I missing something or is there just one really overactive user jumping around?

It was picked up by sevenseas.

>all otomegame isekai are good
Nigga you just haven't read enough otome isekai to find the bad ones.

>Those Who Hunt Elves
The sequel is at vol 9 now. Anyone who who the twintail bitch is?

Ah got it, everybody a pussy.

>be in another world with no service
>no browsing the web
>no Siri/Google Now/Alexa/Cortana
>no chargers
I have no intention to read or watch this, but how is that phone even any useful in that world? I could play emulated SNES games for half a day and then be left with a paperweight.

Would you rather they spend an entire chapter on a prologue that you already know the exact details to?
Nobody wants to read about random Japanese salaryman/NEET/regular high school student getting run over by a deadly Japanese truck for the millionth time. Getting it over in a short paragraph so you can get to the actually substantive part of the story is obviously the better route to take.

>particularly the mecha genre
How many isekai mecha shows are there?
I know of Escaflowne, Dunbine, and Rayearth

So how do you do a good isekai story?

>>>/redddit/

>When we make threads like this those aren't what we talk about. Nobody even knew the word until a couple years ago and those older series most certainly didn't refer to themselves as such.
>You niggers sound like the dweebs who used to correct every usage of NTR when it didn't line up with the literal definition.
Just because Sup Forums is late to the party doesn't mean Japan wasn't already riding the isekai meme train ages ago.
They've been mocking this shit for ages already.

The other world has to be relevant, has to have a reason to exist, and there has to be a reason why MC of all people is there.

I think some autist translated three completely random pages in a thread a couple weeks ago.

It's a magic smartphone. It'd be great if it was just a normal smartphone and he found some interesting use for it, but no, it's a magic cheat smartphone.

I'd rather have an interesting setting and story that I'd WANT to hear exposition about.

Overlord came before MT so did remonster, k&m and shield hero.
MT is way too overrated.

Now and then, here and there, managed to deconstruct isekai genre decades before the genre blew up.

That's the fucking point, nobody wants to hear the exact details about how this poor sap got fucking bodied by truck-kun in Japan, the authors zip through that part so they can get to describing the ACTUAL setting and story (you know, the other world).

There's also Maze, NG/VS Knight Ramune, and Wataru.

Being edgeshit doesn't automatically make something good.

>there has to be a reason why MC of all people is there
Like the one where they kidnap a veterinarian because he mutters Shirou Emiya-tier bs while driving home?

How about isekais that don't use reincarnation as a vehicle to tell a story.

The setting is entirely described in OP
>This world was similar to an RPG

Log Horizon is explicitly referred to as an isekai series by the author, you dumbfuck.

Yeah the real og stuff is great.

We have seven anime isekais this season.
They are 25 ongoing mangas of isekais.
Countless isekais in novels.

I cant imagine other mass media dominated by one fucking genre.

>mc thinks he got warped into another world
>turns out literally everyone from the other world got warped instead minus the only guy who can defeat the ancient evil

Just had to think of that one time I was camping in the sticks with some guy who tried to extend his smartphone's battery with a self-built potato charger. It was an abject failure and only made it go for a few more minutes, but would be about the only solution in a low-tech fantasy world.

But yeah, magic cheat smartphones eliminate that need.

More importantly someone over there thought it would be a good idea to pick up Don't Meddle With My Daughter, whatever it was translated as before.

kinda