Why do "villains" like to reference literature?

Why do "villains" like to reference literature?

Urobutcher was told that this would make the character more interesting.

Villains like to remind you that they went to college.

pretentiousness

Because they can tell you and the good guys about their master plan without looking stupid.

Because writers like to remind audience that the villains are manchildren since only manchildren thinks referencing classical literature or Latin makes them extra sophisticated instead of being an arrogant retarded which is how most people see them.

Because most of us don't know shit about literature so it looks cool and smart.

they have caught a glimps of the truth that our ancestors knew and where driven mad by th fact that our wold has largely abandoned it even though it has the ability and opportunity to embrace it

Good authors combine interesting concepts from many different sources together into a compelling image.
Lazy authors namedrop interesting concepts from many different sources in a meaningless infodump.

Because most "heroes" don't. It's plenty retarded on both sides.

Shave off that neckbeard, user.

That's actually what Makishima was about though

No, Makishima was mostly bored. And the book references were actually because Urobuchi was told to add them, without having read any of the books himself.

In this case it was to showcase Makishima's creativity despite the lines of the Sybil system, The works he references usually have to do with grey moralities and the nature of right and wrong as decided by an individual (no doubt that Sybil would try to eliminate this stuff given how violent paintings were outlawed). Kogami's also well versed in skirting the law for this stuff given how he counters the Pascal quote in their first meeting. Fleeing to old areas of creativity a pretty common aspect of most dystopian fiction.

Or you know, it was just pretentiousness because Sup Forums is too smart for these idiot writers

I have to wonder if people like even watched the series. It's almost a meme at this point

>everyone said Biba ruined Kabaneri
>nobody had a problem with the exact same villain in Psycho-Pass
why?

Different kinds of story?

Surely you can reference 4 more villains who do it to prove your stupid generalization.

darth vader

>
>Because writers like to remind audience that the villains are manchildren since only manchildren thinks referencing classical literature or Latin makes them extra sophisticated instead of being an arrogant retarded which is how most people see them.

>an arrogant retarded

Atleast we know how to form a grammatically correct sentence.

Yeah, that's where you're being an arrogant manchild.
It's about giving a tip of the not-fedora to the past and all the people who (didn't) have to die so you could sit even slightly comfortably atop the mountain range of skeletons and unmade kingdoms as a sign of respect and ultimately a reminder of mortality. But I'm certain your frustrations have merit too, maybe, but not really.
You said it better.

Well at least in the setting of the show, nobody really reads anymore so reading is actually a bit of a revolutionary act. Another important part of this is that the only people shown to actually read are latent criminals. That and every book he reads is somehow related to the plot.

Isn't PsychoPass the prequel to a world where books are actually outlawed?

I don't remember that being mentioned, but it seems that everything of substance is already illegal

Because they are trying to communicate a very simple message to the "heroes" or the other powers that be, and that message is: "Look, all of these criticisms you have of me, my actions, etc-- are you really sure about them? Have you actually examined your own beliefs and motivations? Looked through history to see similar situations and how they turned out? Because I have. My mission, ethics, and purpose are the result of honest examination. If you cannot say the same about yours, why exactly are you opposing me beyond some sort of instinctual reaction? If you truly understood my position and it was legitimately wrong, couldn't you actually just talk me out of it?"

Something like that. Basically, it's to communicate that they understand their beliefs better than the heroes understand their own. That they represent a sincere challenge to prevailing wisdom/morality, rather than an unreasonable outburst against it.

Villains like to reference studies and literature because they realize the value of a second opinion in an argument where they are in a defensive position, especially when they know they have a point to make, and even if they were to die, there may be someone else who realize that they were in the right, and continue the argument.

>You're a smart guy.
>I'm not smart. Jonathan Swift is.

>Anime about Dystopia
>Villian reads Dystopian fiction
>Hahahahahaha aren't we clever right? Are you understanding what this anime is about now? These are all books you read in highschool!

The people who defend this garbage are worse than the writing itself

>nobody had a problem with the exact same villain in Psycho-Pass
Actually most people did but because Urobutcher was writing it it meant that you couldn't say anything bad about whereas Kabaneri was written by Okouchi so it was okay to say that the villain was shit.

what's the difference

This was really bad, it was like a kid repeating something he just learned because he thinks it's cool and wants to show it to other people

Are you legit unable to read or did you just ignore the entirety of my post?

It honestly depends on what your social status is user. Trailer trash mostly would think this way due to not actually understanding either. Most educated adults however know enough about basic Latin and literature to discuss it.

To show that they are superior.

Referencing other works is common practice. It's a nod to the things that inspired the author and gives the reader or viewer a recommendation on what to read if they enjoyed the author's work.

Unless they've already read those works before, in which case it's a matter of "HEY I GOT THAT REFERENCE!".

This pretentious faggot acted like someone who didn't even read books and just shat out quotes while trying to seem smart.

Nothing you wrote bypass the fact that the writers assume that the audience are idiots. Also nothing in show even made Makishima out to be pretentious twat like so many Piss drinkers seem to believe he was legitimately suppose to ve menacing

Occidere te vivere.

t. brainlet

Normies secretly hate people who are more educated than they are and know it

Audiences generally are idiots though.
>Also nothing in show even made Makishima out to be pretentious twat like so many Piss drinkers seem to believe he was legitimately suppose to ve menacing
Huh

Desu it was hilarious that Kogami's first instinct on being asked what would Makky-kun say in his conversation with the psychologist was to quote Foucault given what an edgelord he was.

>Not having taken Latin and classical Greek in primary school
>Not having a proper education
You're pleb is showing.