I'm in the U.S

for the week and just paid a thing called "automatic gratuity." I refused to pay it and spoke to the manager but he wouldn't remove it. Is this how pathetic U.S. has become?

>oy vey muh shekels!
jew detected

Shut the fuck up you cheap was jew.

Fuck off, Sup Forums.

What this tax is meant for?

Hurrr durr tiping is bad

this is in Europe too you stupid fuck

We are taxed upon all purchaces. Seller and buyer

That is theft. They can automate how gratified you are. What the fuck, is this 1984 where we can’t even decide if we’re gratified or not. Fuck those communist kikes who mandated that.

This is a common and accepted practice in the U.S.

This is the jewiest thread I've ever been in.

No, it's not

>Being forced to tip for an average service
>Land of the free

Pick one mutts

it's almost as if tipping is how restaurants pay waiters, and that if tipping were removed the price of food would increase to include the cost of labor

Ummmmm, no it's not, sweetie

>go to another nation and refuse to follow the local custom
>don't pay attention to the notices that are always posted in regards to automatic gratuities
>blame other people for your own failure
Where are you from, user?

I would literally beat you to death if you said that while actually being in Europe.

>America is the land of the fre-

LOL this is what burgers actually believe
>Don't worry about your raise goy, customers will unwillingly tip you

t. waiter

yeah I had that shit added to my bill in Germany a few summers ago
haha no you wouldn't faggot

usually it is imposed on parties of X or more.
I normally see it on parties of 6 or more.

Did they put the % gratuity on after they added the tax or before?

I worked loading and unloading trucks and as a laborer for a demolition company while I was in uni, the pay was shit, the work was far harder than carrying a plate and I never got tipped.

Fuck you sooks piss me off, if you're not getting enough money take it up with your boss, don't try and panhandle customers, you dog cunt.

no its not.
In many places tipping simply doesnt exist, and where it does it is always optional. Only time it isnt is for large groups.

i thought Sup Forums was supposed to be capitalist and libertarian and shit.

That's why your meals are so cheap in the US, faggot. Waiters get paid below minimum wage, and rely on tips to get by.

Yeah, you would die mutt.

Fuck you and anyone that is on the tip gibs. Go somewhere and make blowjobs in you want more money. Get a real job pathetic subhuman.

It's a sneaky thing they do in the US, they only tell you about the sales tax after the sale and it varies from state to state.

> Oy vey! Don't make us have to pay our employees right to begin with! That'd only make things harder on you go-, I mean guys.
You're retarded if you don't think they take advantage of the existence of tips to make more money.

Tipping culture is the most perverted thing I've ever fucking seen. Just the fact that you legitimately have to fear consequences like having them spit in your food etc. is fucking mind-boggling.

What is wrong with these people, I don't give a shit if your boss don't pay you enough, that doesn't justify putting a knife to peoples throat screaming GIBSMEDAT

Only in America do you find people with so shitty work ethic that they wont do their job for the wages they agreed to.

>restaurant owners push a pretty sweet deal where they basically don't have to pay their employees
>somehow the customer is the villain if he doesn't pay the owner's employees for him

I'm white as fuck bitch. Whiter than your slavic brown ass

They're not cheap though, that's the point. After you add your hidden taxes meals in the US are very expensive and the portion size is usually small and the quality can be shit.

Paying taxes this way is better because then you KNOW what you're paying for and you can rightly complain to your elected officials. In Brazil they intentionally hide all the taxes you're paying so that no one knows just how high they are (and they sometimes exceed the value of the product, so they're pretty high).

If they did that, there was fine print on the menu or something. Should have paid attention.

gratuity is usually included in the bill when there's a party of 5 or more so they can accommodate your stupid ass

>Gratuity
>Give us your money for no reason to pay our workers because we don't want to
Also that shit is fucking expensive, never go there again.

That charge is usually only prevalent in tourist areas so cheap poorfag foreigners like you cant get away with claiming ignorance on tipping in America.

As the tip is exactly 20% and when you add the tax after that it adds up 97.94 I assume before.

you can always go to mcdonalds poor fag

obviously you are not rich enough to be a tourist in america. Stick with shithole islands where 90% of the mainland is walled off.

Yes, it is definitely in my interest to provoke somebody who is interested in their entitlement to my money. They signed a contract with their employer to be employed at a certain rate per hour. That rate per hour is on the assumption that people will leave them tips. However, the government mandate minimum pay rate takes over when that minimum is not covered by those tips. Thus, you still make what you were contracted to make whether I tip your entitled ass or not.
>Its an agreement that society has made.
I am not Society. I made no such agreement and you cannot point to any point where I agreed to such. The fact that the custom exists does not make everyone immediately bound to it. No law obligates me to pay more to you for waiting my table. You are not my employee. You have an actual employer for that.

>I dare you to tell your server before hand about your views
One of two things will happen. The server will understand that they are not my employee and are thus not entitled to more of my money than they already get as part of their employment contract with their actual employer. They will accept that this is the arrangement they made and will be satisfied. The second option is they're an entitled shit and will maliciously cause damage to by food as some sort of "punishment" to extort the money they feel they are entitled to get from me. Naturally, you'd defend the second as alright in your book, because you're a nigger.

And this is worse than VAT, which increases the price of everything without telling you?

>Paying taxes this way is better because then you KNOW what you're paying for
If that's what you're concerned about then all sellers by law should list both their own price and the price after taxes.

it's because of the number of people at OPs table, standard practice ya jews

>I’m in America (using a proxy), why is blank not like my country?
>Incoming Le 56% spam and Sup Forums discord mutt posting

Like clockwork. These threads are shit. Enjoy your bans.

Waiters get tipped more without automatic tips. Auto tipping is so the restaurant gets their hands on it first and so the state can tax the waiter now.

This.

I'd be pissed if I was forced to pay a tip to my restaurant.

Did you have over 6 people with you? If you have a party of 20, this is a thing they do. Otherwise, that restaurant sucks.

what is a credit card chargeback?
what is yelp?
were you drunk?
Is this New York?
wtf?

Lol seriously? I have family in Australia, and visit them regularly. A meal in Australia is fucking expensive compared to US. Portions are decent, but to say American portions are small is fucking poppycock my friend. You get a lot for your money. Too much, sometimes. You get FREE fucking refills.

Are you actually braindead or did you not read the fucking menu that told you that you would be charged a gratuity based on the amount of food served?
And you blame the US for your inability to fucking read? Maybe if you grew up in the US you wouldnt be actually illiterate.

>include gratuity into the cost of food
>end result is the exact same, only that I have no way of rewarding good service or punishing bad

you have no argument

>not wanting thieves to swindle you is Judaism
>forcing you to pay an extra unadvertised fee isn't

This is because they pay your server minimum wage

This lets the ((owner)) keep his prices low, so you can pay the server's wages with the money you save

>be american
>start a business
>pay my workers nothing because i expect my clients to pay their entire wages via tips
>if they don't i shame them publicly

>I am not Society. I made no such agreement
Motherfucker when you eat at a restaurant you ARE society and you DID make an implicit agreement whether you like it or not.

Dont like it? Go back to your neet weebcave and never leave it again then.

>yeah I had that shit added to my bill in Germany a few summers ago
Never seen anything like that. Only thing I have encountered that wasn't completely optional was a fee for "table service" in Italy.

Did you have a large group? Most places say they automatically tip if you have a party of 6-7 or more. It's bullshit because you almost always get garbage service when the tip is ensured.

really though it says that shit up front you faggot. and avoid those types of places like the fucking bubonic plague. it's an "automatic tip" and it goes straight to the fucking business, the workers don't see any of that shit.

This can never happen according to laws in Germany and Austria.

It also means cheap people have to pay their share. I'd rather pay a set fee and not go back if the place is shit than decide who gets punished or rewarded

I'm not their boss I just want food

>implying the cost of the meal doesn't increase when a mandatory percentage is tacked on to the bill anyways
>implying restaurants should be free to pay waiters like shit anyways

Gratuity is for exemplary service at the discretion of the customer. If the cost to pay the staff increases the cost of the goods, so be it, that's how literally ever other business and industry fucking works. The real kikery here is adding an extra expense to the product and trying to justify it with "muh feels" for the staff irregardless of their performance instead of paying them an honest wage and pricing the products and services transparently. Fuck all commie faggots ITT.

>forcing you to pay an extra unadvertised fee isn't

prove it wasn't advertised, I can almost guarantee it was but OP was an ignorant blind faggot

they charge you for fucking water in Italy, and your portions are a fraction of what you get in the US

Stop acting like the fucking nigger that you are

retard, before amerilard imperialist politics royally screwed them, they used to have the lowest cost of living on the planet.

please tell your fuckin family to get the fuck out of OZ and stop shitting other cunts up you fuckin mutts

>faggots
Why the homophobia?

>irregardless

you know how I know you're a moron?

Tips might be the worst thing about this country

And you ended up paying it?

You should have knocked them on their ass. That is blatant theft. No where in my state FORCES you to tip, some will think youre a scumbag for not doing it but it is not REQUIRED. That is theft no two ways about it. Owner deserves to have their teeth knocked down his/her throat.

>be american server
>get paid minimum wage
>get tips for a long time
>gubmint comes in
>hey whats with all this additional money you're making we're gonna tax your shit
>restaurant franchise owners come in
>also since you're making more than minimum wage we're gonna lobby to make it legal to pay you 2 dollars an hour

the idea that this is a conspiracy by servers to get more money out of you is stupid and the exact opposite of reality

ok, there are tons of states that have laws against tipping and pay their servers a set wage, go nuts

mandatory gratuity is for large parties because they take exponentially longer to order and finish their food, and also clog up the kitchen
I'd be extremely surprised if this wasn't a split bill or some commie state fuckery.

I'm guessing you missed a notice somewhere that groups larger than 4 have automatic gratuity added. This happens a lot in places where asshole tourists hang out.

You have to go back

Yes, goyim. Keep defending Mr Shekelsberg

It is but I do feel bad when they get a large party of Asians, Euroniggers, or African Americans and they leave absolutely no tip for the server despite them having a rude family of 15 and making a giant mess.

Also I just want to say I have never worked a tipped job in my life only blue collar labor.

>this
Tipping is the most retarded concept ever. Don't let these liars tell you they don't make a living wage. Tips aren't taxed and you make a shit ton more money than min wage working small diners and bars.

I would never pay it. Walk out on the bill. When someone tries to Jew you over pennies, you Jew them over dollars.

THE FUCK IT IS

Don't go back then. They have had automatic gratuity at places when you have 8 or more guests, I can kind of see that, because the table becomes so much work, probably more than one server can deal with. And I bet those groups like to pay individually, and no one ends up leaving a tip, so that's bullshit. But from the looks of things you didn't have 8 or more people in your party, and the bill seems pretty normal for a server to deal with. Looks like bullshit to me, but the only thing you can do is to never return as a customer, and badmouth the establishment to everyone you can.

No it's not,
if you want to tip it's your choice, nobody is expecting that you tip, waitresses, delivery guys, doorman, hairdressers etc.

>the employee is not at fault in any way for choosing to get a job that "doesn't pay him enough"

The IRS recently changed tax laws now that automatic tip is now considered a service charge from the restaurant instead of wages/tips. So now the owners are liable to pay taxes on it. A lot of places are getting rid of autograt.

You are a paranoid dumbass.

>Reminder that nowhere in the states are you legally required to tip.

>Reminder that nowhere in the states is your server legally required not to spit in your food if your stingy jew ass ever shows up again.

This is fucking sad, I throught americans liked tipping anyway but seems like you don't have much of a choice, I'm against tipping because paying the salary should be the restaurant job using the money they get from meals, not making the customer pay an additional fee to pay it.

>Tips aren't taxed
veritably false, google it
>and you make a shit ton more money than min wage working small diners and bars
you make more money, but you're still pulling less than 20k a year unless you're a chick or work at a high-end restaurant

>I refused to pay it and spoke to the manager but he wouldn't remove it.
He should have called ICE on you

retarded
i am not tipping
pay your staff properly

if you want extra suck my dick on the way out and i will hand you a 10incher and blow up inside your anus

So instead of just increasing prices on the food, they will sneak this shit in? It is a 20 % increase, which is a pretty sneaky thing to include, especially if it isnt informed beforehand.
I am happy I live in a country, where a tip is a bonus, and not a neccessity to for the waitress to survive.

Also, isnt there some law in the US that says that the owner actually has to pay minimum wage, if the tip isnt enough.

I heard Americans clap in restaurants after a meal, is this true?

In Australia we have laws about how prices have to be displayed so it's a bit of a shock when you're constantly having to adjust what you're spending at the counter.

>When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax). This rule generally does not apply in business-to-business transactions. This means you do not need to include GST if a price statement is made exclusively to businesses.

why even go to a restaurant?
>I can make shit at home that beats the fuck out of whatever Mexican "chef" can make.

What the actual fuck?

The Gratuity is more than the fucking taxes!!!!

Seems fair all around.

Moron

Really fucking doubt they got a big sign up front says "Hey homo we force tip gib me da dosh".

The real kikery is making the customer do the bosses job

Boss should get rid of shit servers himself not expect customers to evaluate and reward/punish. Let the customer know his price upfront and ensure he's happy with the exchange

The boss should punish and reward that's his job

>it's almost as if tipping is how restaurants pay waiters
no it's not ok to do it that way
tipping was understood to be an extra thing for particularly good service
prices and salaries should be at the level they need to be if tipping did not exist. It can not be taken into account.

Otherwise tipping is just a scam to get an extra 10% profit. Which is what it has become in the US. And mandatory tipping is unacceptable and a punch into the customers face.

>if tipping is forced why isn't the price just added to the food?