I'm thinking of moving to Russia after I finish college, my family is from there so I'm almost fluent...

I'm thinking of moving to Russia after I finish college, my family is from there so I'm almost fluent. I'm tired of being surrounded by cultural marxists and of being the 56%, you know. Am I making the right decision or would I be worse off somehow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OI-9iMrWRrw
expatistan.com/cost-of-living
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BASED SAVIOUR OF THE WHITE RACE

If you are ready to risk, go ahead. Although I wouldn't recommend moving there without having lived there for at least several months.

I know he loves Israel for some reason, but how are his domestic policies? They don't seem (((poorly influenced)))

Digits say correct yes

youtube.com/watch?v=OI-9iMrWRrw

Go there, you'll be better off. Trust me. Just ignore the fact there's 300,000 Russians in the US, and like 3,000 Americans in Russia. Just numbers that don't mean anything.

Most of them fled because of Communism, which is understandable. Hopefully things have improved since then

The answer goy, is, just go to wherever you can make the most money. If it's here, then make a lot of money and dump it in crypto and then you can move back to Russia. If you're a Russky speaker, you have the option of the best of both countries.

Russia is making its first steps in capitalism, so it will be pretty much "sink or swim" experience. If I were you, I would keep my options open just in case.

But yeah, you won't find much SJWs here, aside from redditors that exist in small quantities in big cities. Everybody else is pretty racist, sexist, ableist, whateverist by Western standards.

OP is right, we are pretty cucked over here lol. (except for the alt-right elite of course)

>im tired of being the 56%
You want the good news or the bad news first?

Sure, good news. watchu got?

>parents flee from Russia
>gotta come back
derp

That's good to here. I'm studying abroad in Moscow in about a year, so I'll probably go to grad school around there and then get a job.

Personally, I hope that it's a passing thing, like the hippies you had in 60s. Dumb young people, pendulum will swing in the other direction and all that.

Otherwise we're all in real trouble.

Moscow has a reputation of a very busy, fast-paced and overcrowded city. You might want to consider getting a job in comfy St.Petersburg or explore the opportunities offered by smaller towns.

General unsolicited life advice: don't burn bridges. I bet it's nice to have an option to jettison if things won't work out right. The fact that you can do that will probably save you a lot of nerves long-term.

The country seems very beautiful overall, I will travel around as much as I can next year and see where the /comfy/est regions are

Those hippies ended up getting jobs in academia, so they brainwashed all the millennials. This is a problem we're gonna have to deal with for many years to come.

What sort of job are you looking to get? Have you found one already? I'm considering the same, so I'm curious how the process works.

Also, what sort of visa will you be using to stay there?

Student visa. I haven't applied yet, but my college will hopefully take care of that for me

STEM major, so probably applied math, engineering, science research, etc. I honestly haven't thought of that, it's kind of far off.

Anyone have the picture of the two slavs washing off with gray water drain pipe with the Moscow skyline in the background?

Hey, if you're going to be a student there, why not? The STEM education is generally pretty good, from what I hear... plus you'll have some time to look around, ask about future employment, etc. The last time I visited Russia (2015) the job market seemed to be booming, and there were a lot of opportunities.

But really, the nicest thing for me was that I seemed to be more "in tune" with the people there, as in we had a common social language we could speak. That counts for a lot, really. Especially considering that the place is now fairly clean and orderly (not at all like it was in the 1990s and early 2000s). Even the smaller towns.

Other nice things:
-lots of places to walk in forests, even in Moscow
-much nicer public transit system (in bigger cities especially)
-better-quality groceries, in conveniently-located grocery stores within short walking distance
-much more high culture (if you're into that) and traditional folk culture

Another thing worth considering: as a Westerner fluent in English and Russian, you'll be in high demand and your relative social and employment status will almost certainly be higher than in the US.

That sounds awesome! What were you up to there? How long did you stay for?

Visiting family and friends; immediate family immigrated to West around 1990 because we thought there was going to be a civil war. Unfortunately we burned most of our bridges when we did that, which was a big mistake. And we didn't recover our citizenships when there was a brief window to do that in the early 1990s (these days, as far as I know, we'd have to give up our Canadian citizenships to get Russian ones back, which we don't really want to do).

I stayed for... about 2 months, I think? Visited Moscow, St. Petersburg, Petrozavodsk, Voronezh, Tver, Troitsk, Veliky Novgorod. Some of that was for family purposes (like Tver, there's really nothing much to do in that place, and not too many jobs there any more), some for touristy reasons (Veliky Novgorod). In Petrozavodsk, I was primarily there to attend an academic conference (I didn't have anything to present, just was interested in the subject matter).

Another impression: there's much more variety there, both of the good and the bad sort. Society isn't quite as "settled" into familiar patterns and roles.

Sure. But be on guard, however: the country can (and at times will) be stern, unwelcoming and confusing, mostly when dealing with authorities. While Russia isn't a Wild West, there aren't safety nets and training wheels around so common sense is a must.

Don't associate with shady people, don't go around city outskirts at night, don't give away your passport and other important documents, try to avoid unnecessary contact with the police (they can cause a bit of bureaucratic hassle) and if you get ill, try to avoid public clinics (service isn't great). And if you happen, say, wake up in the middle of nowhere after a drinking night with all your documents stolen, don't shrug it off / otherwise waste your time and seek help from the US embassy (or just let them know of your situation) ASAP, this is not a drill, you really don't want to be caught documentless in some rural city (bureaucratic machine is rather slow, so you might get stuck in police station for quite a while). Oh, and avoid criticizing anything Russian even if everybody around you curses Russia with all their might for virtually hours - Russians have this weird defense mechanism summed up by Pushkin: "Of course I hate my fatherland with passion, but I get really annoyed when a foreigner has the same feeling".

PROTIP: saying that you're an American will cause an average Russian girl to start a second Noah's flood. Have fun with them BUT don't believe their lies - she might seem the sweetest girl you're ever knew (especially after US thots) but all this time she will be scheming how to effectively make you her slave and leech from your resources and ability to move in US. If you do bring her to US, expect a disastrous divorce. That's Russia's, as Sinatra put it, "tender trap" that will cost you a lot of your money, nerves, mental health or even a good chunk of your life. Proceed with "serious relationships" at your own risk.

And have someone show you the ropes. Good luck with your endeavors!

Been planning too, but it's very risky and I probably wont enjoy it after the first month as well as a really shitty job prospect out there since they need more of scientists

LOL Russia is gay

>you really don't want to be caught documentless in some rural city
Yeah, I forgot to mention this. I guess it's one of those holdovers from the Soviet era. If you're just visiting a dacha with friends, it's probably okay not to do that while you're gardening or swimming, but in civilized areas, don't go out without your passport and visa; a policeman might ask to check your documents if you look suspicious.

Also, Google Maps' information on the Russian public transit system was rather incomplete when I was there. I think they have their own local apps that are better.

As for "don't associate with shady people" and "don't get into dangerous situations while drunk", those were pretty easy for me to avoid since I stayed far away from anyone shady-looking (not that hard to do!) and claimed that I didn't drink alcohol when in social company (I actually do, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep up, so I just claimed I didn't - easier that way).

Slavs get out.

By the way, this might be somewhat helpful: expatistan.com/cost-of-living

Speaking of gays, here's the thing to remember: mentioning gays in positive light is a big, red NO here. Close male friends can make gay jokes in private but I advise you against trying wit with this subject because it's easy to misjudge the social situation and offend someone. Respectively, if someone you barely know makes a gay joke about you personally, it's a blatant insult, and a quite serious one at that. Do not let it slide, show that you're offended and you won't tolerate such behavior.

Speaking of big "NO's": DO NOT buy/posses/carry drugs or any unidentified substances/powders around - if police catches you with them, you're in real trouble, with capital "T". Consumption is kind of "fine" (they can't charge you for being high I think) but it's better to verify that with something who actually knows the situation.

>Also, Google Maps' information on the Russian public transit system was rather incomplete when I was there.
Yeah, it's not just public transit, organization location's might be are somewhat outdated on Google Maps as well. Yandex (yandex.ru/map) is more accurate and local apps should be the most accurate ones although I personally don't feel need in them.

>I guess it's one of those holdovers from the Soviet era.
Yep. Citizen have this dumb "propiska" (they put a stamp with your home address into your passport and consider it your "official residence" for law matters) - an absolutely retarded concept that only causes bureaucratic commotion and widely disregarded by general population.

>I actually do, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep up, so I just claimed I didn't - easier that way
Good point. I've considered myself quite alcohol-resistant but I once went drinking with colleagues and absolutely accidentally got myself *really* drunk on vodka (picrelated) for the first time in my life. Luckily, I didn't do dumb shit and someone called a cab for me so I got home alright but I could have ended in an embarrassing situation/police station.