Does cowboy culture still exist in the south or has it all been replaced by Hispanic culture?

Does cowboy culture still exist in the south or has it all been replaced by Hispanic culture?

Do you still see guys in boots and those cowboy hats walking around?

Do people still go to rodeos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r4QcyvNh49o
youtu.be/1gwRaMEtxcQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

90% Mexicans into rachero culture
5% old white men with white mustaches
5% models who also play country music which is just pop with a twang.

yes

i still see cowboys. guess it depends on where you live.

Cowboys are a western culture, not southern, and yes, you still see it everywhere.

Cowboy culture never really existed in any big capacity. There weren't that many to begin with and basically became pointless with refrigeration and transportation.

So you won't see anyone walking round with a cowboy hat in a city then?

in southern states you will, the north has no culture

I wear a cowboy hats and boots and I live in a rural area.

You can in places like fort Worth but mostly they are basically larping.

Cattle land isn't really around the city, it's in BFE areas, so actually seeing real cowboys is pretty rare.

Cows don't really even need that much attention anymore so cowboys don't have much to do. There's no point in being one.
Mostly it's like a rodeo competition thing for southern rich kids.

Sounds like cowboys are fedora fags of the south.

Lol larping cowboys.

Is this whole 'fake country' stuff people talk about then - people who've never even seen a cow in their life playing dress up.

Cowboy here,

Used to be a great trade until cattle thieves like william h bonnie came round horsehollerin and swashbuckling. Then the silver dried up and nothing was left but tuberculosis. So we figured we'd head on to californiway but they outlawed brush fires and we couldnt have our morning covfefe and hard biscuits. We resolved to chewing soft rocks to get by.

Meh it's pretty hard to grow up here in Texas and not see a cow or been to a ranch.
Larp is kinda a harsh weird I shouldn't have used
There is a big Country living culture down here, living near ranches, going to Grandpa's farm and ring 4 wheelers, etc.
People like that keep the aesthetic alive.
The cowboy myth is long dead though, so it's not like they are posing as things that still exist.
There are still country dance Halls in town that encourage the cowboy aesthetic.

Yeah. Not in a cartoonish way.

Florida was a bigger cattle state than Tx for a very long time. North and central Florida still has that culture in some places.

Rural parts of Ga definitely still have it. I’ve seen it in Al and Ms too. I rarely go to Tn, Sc, or Nc, but I assume it’s the same.

Those guys will wear a cowboy hat and a belt buckle when they want to look nice and they pull it off well.

A LOT of blue collar men wear brown roper style work boots. Like Ga boots or Justins. I’d say that’s the most common style here. Where as up North, they all wear laced boots no matter what.

I have a nice pair of brown calf skin western boots I wear even though I work in an office. I’m the only person that wears them though. Loafers are faggoty.

No whites wear that cartoon ranchero shit though.

The fucking multi colored tony llamas boots are just for mexicans.

You wouldn’t have seen that in cities even during cowboy times.

Real life wasn’t like Hollywood westerns.

Ppl would be wearing bowler hats and different shoes.

Cowboy boots have a purpose. They go up high so you can tuck your pants in while you work (keeps pants from getting covered in shit).

So the merchants and other city dwellers had no need to dress that way and looked more eastern.

Texan here. Yes I've been to a rodeo. It kind of a big thing to the people who go often. I have a girl cousin who does barrel racing (riding a horse and trying to make tight turns around 3 barrels or so). I live in a college town north of Dallas so it's literally just Mexicans, blacks and sorority sluts who all major in accounting. Haven't seen anyone under the age of 60 unironically wearing a cowboy hat (cept my cousin of course)

I also own a pair of cowboy boots. Makes you an extra inch or two taller so install confidence boost. You walk slower so you appear more in command of your surroundings. And you wear specific boot cut jeans which are really comfortable and spacious.

First it was sailors
Then bikers
Then cowboys

Gays ruin everything

Cowboy culture is making a big come back!

Hoosier here. Lots of people wear cowboy boots around here. Not so many cowboy hats but they exist. Every farmer I know wears a ball cap though. Even the dairy and cattle farmers.

Cowboy boots are a sign of low intelligence.

Didn't spics start the whole cowboy thing in the first place?

or (((they))) gay up everything manly that's out there
take sailing for instance
wypipo "used sailing" to fuck the whole planet in the ass
now it's gay
hmmm

>Does cowboy culture still exist in the south or has it all been replaced by Hispanic culture?

Nigger are you for real?

I like the cowboy culture because its close to nature. It reminds me of pagan old viking ways.

Hell yeah

Its just wannabe's now. You have city slickers wearing wranglers and stetson's driving brand new trucks blasting nu-country that only ride a horse once in a while and spit copenhagen into dixie cups going around telling people that theyre real cowboys. The real cowboy culture died out in the 1930's-1940's when movies about them came along

It kind of does in south Dakota.

>tfw nobody will listen to Old Hank Williams in my truck with me.

Shit, 99% of these LARPfag shitkickers couldnt even name one Hank Sr song. For them, its all about Keith Urban and Gretchen Wilson YEEEEEEHAW COWBOY UP

Fuckers from California traipsing around talking with an exaggerated southern drawl, got a cowboy hat on wearing a wife beater, cargo shorts, and flip flop sandals and shit drinking a bud light and making sure you get a good look at their barbed wire tattoo

To be fair Hank Williams Jr. and all that outlaw country started the whole Larp culture. Even though they made some good music.

What's funny is that Cowboy Culture was criminal culture. People forget this (or never learn it).
Cowboy was an insult, it was a degenerate group of ex-cons whose only career prospects was moving cattle long-distance for months and it was a disrespected and underpaying profession almost exclusively held by scumbags.
It wasn't some kind of virtuous, conservative brotherhood. It was scum doing minimum-wage shit-labor because they weren't qualified to do aught else.

>Does cowboy culture still exist in the south
"cowboy" culture is more of a western us thing, but people still do ropings and barrel riding all over.
>or has it all been replaced by Hispanic culture?
last i checked the local ag center didn't reschedule the roping tournament with bull fights. if anything, the entire equine culture is being over run with truck/tractor pulls and motocross. most people with horses either breed them for racing or just to have a money pit hobby.
>Do you still see guys in boots and those cowboy hats walking around?
goes with the territory. most of them are pretentious assholes though.
>Do people still go to rodeos?
all the time. roping is fun to watch.

t. grew up in rural nc, had horses.

>Does cowboy culture still exist in the south or has it all been replaced by Hispanic culture?
The thing you call 'Cowboy culture' is an adaptation of the Mexican lifestyle of rural life and livestock production, specially in Texas. so...

You know 'rodeo' is a Spanish word, don't you? Many terms in 'cowboy culture' are Spanish loanwords.

It's still around, you just don't notice it because they aren't urban big city kikes that feel the need to virtue signal and project to the world

WE
WUZ
COWBOIIIIIS

Yes. Every day.

I was talking about nowadays, but yeah, tgat shit traces back to the late 60's early 70's. But those old school LARPcucks hung up their stetsons by the 90's when billy gay soreass and garth brooks blew up, thats when the new school began

1. no
2. sort of
3. sure

Well, Spaniards (not Mexicans) brought a lot of the "cowboy culture", it is basically a mix of the Spaniards and the Anglos coming together.
I live in San Antonio, Texas. Yes, there are a good amount of cowboy boots. The jocks at my high school wore cowboy boots with wranglers and buttoned down shirts or polos. You don't see as many cowboy hats in the city but in the country you will see plenty. (And more boots in the country than the city).
Pretty much everybody who lives in San Antonio attends the rodeo. It's funny you ask because rodeo season just started.

Yea buckaroo is the term for cowboy in Spanish or castellano which is vaquero.

It is a mix of Southern and Western, there are plenty of cowboys in the South (even east of Texas if you wanna say Texas isn't the South).

>Cowboy culture never really existed in any big capacity. There weren't that many to begin with and basically became pointless with refrigeration and transportation.
It was very big in Texas and the West, I don't know what you're talking about.

Pretending cowboy culture comes from the indio-goblins and not white, landed Spaniards who were in Mexico.

Underrated

in Texas yes, people wear cowboy hats all the time.

Very common.

GOOD GOY. WE DID NOT FABRICATE THE COWBOY, WHAT YOU SEE IN HOLLYWOOD MOVIES IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

>You wouldn’t have seen that in cities even during cowboy times.
30-40 years ago if you drove around a city in Texas you would see a good amount of people in their cars and walking wearing cowboy hats.

Fuck UNT

Cowboy culture is a mixture of Spanish (not Mexican) and Anglo.

t. filthy yankee with zero culture

Move over skinny dog cause the fat dog's moving in.

In texas you will.

Cattle ranchers called themselves cowboys, so it is inaccurate to imply that is all that cowboy culture is.

30-40 years ago does equal cowboy times.

Ppl wearing mass produced cowboy hats in the 70s and 80s doesn’t mean it was what pplwere doing every day up to that point.

See it everyday. The further you go west away from the Deep South, it quickly becomes cowboy country. Real cowboys - not 'drug-store cowboys'. Texas cowboys live in Lubbock, Amarillo, Uvalde; where "real Texas" is.

t. East Texas

>He doesn't know about the swathes of Samurai Cowboys in America

Fuck the actual city of Uvalde though.

In Texas they were. I'm not saying everybody had a cowboy hat but it was pretty damn common.

It makes me really fucking mad when ppl deny Texans their southern heritage.

Tx and Az fought for the confederacy. It’s the fucking South.

From what I see it buckaroos; Spanish invented cowboy culture, Mexican state is created therefore the Spanish must of assimilated or Criollo accept the nationally of being a Mexican no shit, Not ANGLO* keep that in mind, pure Spanish, Mexicans whether Criollo or mestizo pass on the buckaroo lifestyle from newcomers from the east or the union.

Irritates me way too much to hear on /Dixie/ that Texas isn't the South. Yep Arizona and New Mexico are Confederate lands.

Americans are the softest cunts on the planet but they still see themselves as gritty Clint Eastwood types, it's pathetic. Don't forget to listen to some outlaw country on your way to Starbucks you fat loafing faggots

I dont see how anyone in this day in age could LARP as a cowboy, the culture is pure cancer, especially country music. All country music today is all rap beats with an acoustic guitar in the background, and even that is probably programmed. All male country vocalists sound like theyre all just one person, i literally cant tell them apart. Same goes for female vocalists, they all sound like Christina Aguilera impersonators, doing that gritty vocal thing pop artists do to let you know they have "soul"...

was more of a western thing but yes, its still around if you get out of the inner city and go out near places with livestock and stuff
sometimes but a lot of cowboy hats got replaced by baseball caps with a feed company or a tractor company on them
yes, for example
www.folsomprorodeo.com
over 50 years, go watch on july 4th

>Spanish must of assimilated or Criollo accept the nationally of being a Mexican no shit
Texas independence came 26 years after Mexican independence. They did not assimilate to Mexico. They barely ever lived in Mexico. They fought with the Anglos against the Mexicans to bring Texas independence. They looked down upon Mexicans, and empathized their light skin, light hair, and light eyes.

Cowboy culture literally comes from Mexico.

People who "larp" as cowboys are always fags.
People who are actual cowboys don't listen to new country.

Spain*

>Does cowboy culture still exist in the south
Yes
>Do you still see guys in boots and those cowboy hats
Yes
Yes

t. Floridafag

Ive never met anyone wearing cowboy attire in spain but they are everywhere in (northern) mexico.

We can't all go off to fight jihad in Syria dude. We still do outdoors stuff like camping, fishing, hunting, get our own wood, build our own decks.

So by cowboy culture you mean people playing dress up?

Lots of gauchos in Argentina, OP.

>Various aspects of the Spanish equestrian tradition can be traced back to Islamic rule in Spain, including Moorish elements such as the use of Oriental-type horses, the la jineta riding style characterized by a shorter stirrup, solid-treed saddle and use of spurs,[17] the heavy noseband or hackamore,[18] (Arabic šakīma, Spanish jaquima)[19] and other horse-related equipment and techniques.[17][18] Certain aspects of the Arabic tradition, such as the hackamore, can in turn be traced to roots in ancient Persia.[18]

>During the 16th century, the Conquistadors and other Spanish settlers brought their cattle-raising traditions as well as both horses and domesticated cattle to the Americas, starting with their arrival in what today is Mexico and Florida.[20] The traditions of Spain were transformed by the geographic, environmental and cultural circumstances of New Spain, which later became Mexico and the Southwestern United States. In turn, the land and people of the Americas also saw dramatic changes due to Spanish influence.

>The arrival of horses was particularly significant, as equines had been extinct in the Americas since the end of the prehistoric ice age. However, horses quickly multiplied in America and became crucial to the success of the Spanish and later settlers from other nations. The earliest horses were originally of Andalusian, Barb and Arabian ancestry,[21] but a number of uniquely American horse breeds developed in North and South America through selective breeding and by natural selection of animals that escaped to the wild. The Mustang and other colonial horse breeds are now called "wild," but in reality are feral horses—descendants of domesticated animals.

Checks out.

There is no such thing as cowboys anymore, there hasnt been for many decades, just wannabes

We have the same preferred phenotype here in Mex too, light skin, eyes, etc. I do not know exactly where the rest of the Spanish left, most likely original Criollo. I'm pretty sure there was some Mexicans as well that wanted Texas as it's own state. Or for you're grasp mestizos as Mexico is abundant from. Also there is stories that soldiers from the confederate army, who lost moved to Mexico to fight in the Mexican revolution or some crap. Or anglos* who sympathized with Mex or liked it. idk

Don't listen to this guy. He's talking out of his ass.

Even the middle part of California with all of the agriculture has pockets of Cowboy culture. Boots, hats, horses, etc.

They have them in Los Angeles,but it's called a jaripeo.
>har-E-pay-o

youtube.com/watch?v=r4QcyvNh49o

Spanish consequentially located in Mexico then American frontier. Both of you are correct.

Every trial lawyer in Texas worth a damn wears birds, iguanas, or gators. Maybe it’s a hold over from an older time, but you can tell the paper pushers from the champions of the well by their footwear.

this
although quads are a pretty popular replacement for horses in some california places since its not a living thing you need to feed and take care of
i'm not saying horses aren't still used a lot though

Would you be willing to tell my grandfather that on his ranch? I would love to see it.

Its just people trying to be cool. Its the same thing as thin, frail soyboys going out and getting covered head to toe in tattoos

Absolutely, he is a pretender.

Desu I think I love you senpai

Wearing boots? LoL

I get that there is a wide variety of Mexicans. Mestizos, Castizos, Afro-Mestizos, Spaniards (Criollo) but my point was simply that the Spaniards who were cowboys in the 1800s (and prior) did not see themselves as Mexicans but Spaniards.
>I'm pretty sure there was some Mexicans as well that wanted Texas as it's own state
Sure, and some of these "Mexicans" may have even been Mestizo, but it was implied they would be living among Anglos and other Europeans.
>Also there is stories that soldiers from the confederate army, who lost moved to Mexico to fight in the Mexican revolution or some crap.
I will admit I do not know much of the Mexican Revolution of 1910, but it started 45 years after the civil war so anybody who was old enough to fight in the civil war when it ended would be like 63 when that one started.
There were Mexicans and other Latin Americans who joined the Confederates to fight the North. Many of these people were Criollo's or Spanish nationals, but there were likely Castizos who lived in Texas (maybe some from down South too) who also fought for them.
And then there were German/Irish "American" immigrants who, because they were Catholic, felt that they were more closely aligned to Mexico and wouldn't be discriminated by the Anglo protestants there. A famous person would be this guy.
>John Patrick Riley (also known as John Patrick O'Riley, (c. 1817 – August 1850?) was an Irish soldier in the British Army who emigrated to the United States and subsequently enlisted in the United States Army. During the Mexican-American War of 1846-48, Riley led a number of other Irish Catholics in the ranks who defected to Mexico, where they formed the Saint Patrick's Battalion in the Mexican Army.

>During the 16th century, the Conquistadors and other Spanish settlers brought their cattle-raising traditions as well as both horses and domesticated cattle to the Americas, starting with their arrival in what today is Mexico and Florida.[20] The traditions of Spain were transformed by the geographic, environmental and cultural circumstances of New Spain, which later became Mexico and the Southwestern United States. In turn, the land and people of the Americas also saw dramatic changes due to Spanish influence.

Its apart of the LARP, gotta look the the part

Yep, all the wealthy elite native Texans wear cowboy boots. Even Ted Cruz does. (and he was born in Canada)

I don't know, the cattle seem real to me whenever I go visit.

just ignore the troll

In a nutshell

A lot of the mythical and historical characters of the west weren't actually cowboys. There was more to settling the west than herding cattle.
youtu.be/1gwRaMEtxcQ

Doesnt mean shit. Owning a piece of land, owning livestock, owning a cowboy hat and wranglers dont make you a cowboy. Thats like calling someone who owns a shitty little beginner sportster motocycle a "biker", or calling Eminem a "gangster rapper" because he wears a do-rag and sags his pants while he rhymes words...