I've heard recently that the last seven years of data suggest heavily scanlated manga doesn't sell. Thoughts?

I've heard recently that the last seven years of data suggest heavily scanlated manga doesn't sell. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck off already

Seems unlikely
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016

Fuck off and stop trying to force this social media bullshit.

are we allowed to talk about manga publishing in this thread?

Fuck off.

Name 1 good manga with official English translation.

Surely mods can't delete this thread.

the lesbian one?

Because
1. Official English releases are slow as shit and there isn't an official equivalent as fast as scanlations
2. English publishers kill off English releases before completion far too often
3. English releases are too expensive for what is offered and there are little to no benefits to paying for English releases over scanlations, in most cases (official translations certainly aren't any better most of the time)
4. They don't publish the things I would actually buy (still waiting on Yuyushiki, Made in Abyss, YKK, a full English release of Aria, etc.)

You mean to tell me that fanmade scanlations provided online don't sell? Wow.

Good, English manga publishers need to die, I got meme'd by them, but not any longer.

Why don't American publishers go the Comic Gum route, and make bank on ad revenue on top of their published volume sales?

>Made in Abyss
Made in Abyss was licensed earlier this month.

That looks so fucking bad holy shit

They literally ruined the original art, for example you can't even see Askeladd's clenched fist in this version and the scene loses impact.

And it will only take two years for the official English release to get caught up with scanlations! If they can provide a good translation and high quality printing I will be interested, if only to show my support for something I like; otherwise there's no reason to buy it over reading the scanlations for free.

Or just to buy the jap version directly, which is what I do if I actually like a series

>DODO
>DSSHHHHH
What did the translator mean by this?

> And it will only take two years for the official English release to get caught up with scanlations
That's back to your first reason, though, not the fourth reason. They licensed it like two months after scanlations really got underway, that's fine. The problem is just the release schedule.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016

yotsuba top seller... as it should be

Is it even worth it to translate sound effects? I don't read them, and the original look of the thing is always lost

Maybe they'd get more sales if they stopped pricing digital releases the same as the physical edition.

Translating sure, cleaning and redrawing them, eh.

But why? Like, you add a little sfx tn that says "this means DODO" but it doesn't really add anything.

I'd be more inclined to buy Japanese releases if my Japanese was good enough to read things raw. I know enough Japanese to understand a lot of stuff, but not enough to read and watch things unaided.

Hell, I'd have no problem with official releases being behind scanlations if they were still released in a timely manner, rather than one printed volume every 4-6 months or so. They'd be doing themselves a favor if they releases chapters individually, maybe every week or so, and then releasing the printed volumes after they've translated enough content.

is that why publishers only license what is popular on streaming sites?

The main reason you'd be buying the volumes would be to support the creator rather than read them. Of course that only applies if the series is being translated by a fan group to boot, but if you're a fan, it probably is.

I've done that with very few series myself.

It's almost certainly just an outright lie, judging by the bestselling manga

They need to advertise better desu.

Do they advertise at all? I've never seen an ad for manga

Stop this. Spamming it isn't gonna make the mods ease upon this thread

Mods literally don't care about the content of the thread, they just throw a hissy fit when the opening image is a twitter screencap

>Japanese Galko volume 1 release
>950 yen for the print version, so about $8.50
>English Galko volume 1 release
>14.99 when not on sale
And Galko is more expensive than standard, even in Japan. Most Japanese releases are priced around $6-$7 usually. If English releases weren't so expensive I'd buy a lot more.

spamming is still against the rules

Apart from the occasional article on sites like ANN, it seems like they mostly keep to their own social media accounts.

They haven't deleted it yet, and like five other versions have been deleted in the mean time. They literally just have horrible autism in regards to twitter

They don't even have those nice dust jackets that the jp releases have.

I'm importing Elf-san wa yaserarenai for $12 total, including shipping. You just know it'd be more if it was published in the US

i don't get it. Really, I don't. Unpaid, hobbyist scanlations can provide good typesetting, quality pages although relying on scanner pages, all while being faster than official translations. Why the fuck can't a company with resources to the digital raws and JP publisher, definitely more cash than scanlation group, and more time to work on the translations, deliver a decent localized version?

Because they have profit margins to bump up.

this. Translating sound effects always ruins it.

One Piece

Haha, I just download high quality official manga rips and I don't have to pay 10 dollars for digital shit like idiots do.

Apparently, JP publishers can be difficult to work with.

>no one piece

Japanese digital releases can be pretty cheap depending on the title.

burgers hate it for some reason

This is a board for anime and manga, not shitty publishers and attention whores.

gee why would anyone hate shonen

Wait, is this really how Kodansha's Vinland Saga looks?

Yes, do you think I'm actually autistic enough to fake it?

Black Jack

Localized manga is always cancer because it takes more liberties other than simply translating the text and speech bubbles
>That really obnoxious shit they do in every fucking release where they replace the Japanese onomatopoeia kanji with capeshit noises and sound effects
>Those markers at the top of the page that tell you to read from right to left as if you're an imbecile who's never read manga in his life

literally all they had to do was print the picture

One Piece was given the worst fucking hand in America
>Started off as 4Kids dub
>Then Funi picked it up after it was off air for years, but there was no Toonami at the time so nobody really cared espeically since they just started right in Skypiea, a horrible start off point.
>Then Toonami came back
>But oh No, a combination of the guy running it being a retard who doesn't believe filler is a thing and Funi being horrible people and dubbing the filler helps ruin the pace
>It gets bad ratings BECAUSE OF COURSE IT DOES WHEN YOU ADD FILLER TO ALREADY PADDED EPISODES, DEMARCO WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN IDIOT
>Gets put on the last new airing spot at 2:30 in the morning. 2. 30.
>Which is also after Naruto Shitpudding, because people want to stay up after seeing that shit at 2 in the morning.
>Get canceled
Besides it was so far behind it was better just to watch it subbed.
Even if it was still airing we'd have probably just finished the Duval stuff, maybe be partway into SA

Oh I forgot to mentioned
They got to the part of the anime where they had character refresher filler as the SH jumped to the Tower of Justice, but I believe before or after it Demarco had a movie month, which failed and so not only did we have the month of filler after 'I want to Live' we also had the month+ of filler for the characters.

*month of movies

Around here we don't have that issue. Most manga (That we get anyways, which is not enough) just leave the onomatopoeia untouched and possibly leave a sfx note. They do have the last page of the thing noting that you should be reading from right to left, but that's not really a huge issue. Some people may not have read manga before.
Having the markers at every page is complete shit though.

That's FAKE NEWS

>and more time to work
This is the thing they don't have. Unpaid fans have infinite time. Paid works time is limited by cash flows and salary.

I assume you're not American. Euro?

That is retarded. Did you complain about it?

And they will blame it on piracy as always.

Pirated anime and scanlations are the reason many of these people even know these things exist

Of course it's not all black and white, I'm sure there are also many who won't buy regardless of quality or price because they have access to these free sources. Ultimately though I think they have been essential to the initial growth and popularity of many series in North America and other parts of the West as well.

What difference would it make? This was published in 2013 I doubt they give a shit.

Certainly the hobbyists are the ones who developed interest in the US. These companies would barely have an audience at all without scanlation building interest

If a manga series is so good to the point where each volumes feels like an independent adventure or something like that, I'd consider it to be worth collecting for future re-reads. For example, I collect the English Barakamon volumes so far and the translations have been pretty good at delivering the dialects and leaving the notes at the end page. Honestly fine with paying at the slow pace between each release, since it's getting really close to the official Japanese releases.

Now the real problem is the constantly-changing rates of the CAD list price.

"heavily scanlated" most likely means "a lot of people scanlating">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Manga_Best_Sellers_of_2016
Seems to back up the idea that the series that sell the best are the ones that A) don't have illegal releases BEFORE the legal ones even hit Japan and B) don't have a half a dozen or more groups translating.
Notice that one piece isn't in that list, despite being dragon ball tier popular pretty much everywhere else.

One Piece has literally never sold well in the US, and the idea that One Punch Man, AoT, or Tokyo Ghoul isn't scanlated as soon as the chapter comes out is ludicrous

if you say so

lol what exactly is it that you doubt?

>The wont publish what i like

Lel, pirates