Why is English spelling so regular compared to other languages?

Why is English spelling so regular compared to other languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=btn0-Vce5ug
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We are the best.

I expected as such.

as a brainlet
what does this mean

It isn't really, German is much more phonetic than English for example.

You can get more information across in English with fewer words and shorter syllables.

that looks like fucking klingon

English spelling is horribly irregular to someone who knows other languages. I speak Finnish, English, Swedish, Russian, German and a little bit of Japanese and English is by far the worst when it comes to spelling.

it actually is. german words you can read for the first time and always pronounce them right. english for example has things like aisle and isle which sound same but different ,german doenst have this

>a fin brings up language
Oooooooooh, lord.

No other European language pulls that shit besides English.

I'm not too sure about what you meant with this.

It means Vietnamese is the best but he doesn't know how to read tables

Is this why whenever voiceovers are done the English sentence is really small compared to the original?

Aisle and isle are nothing. We have reed which sounds like read and lead ,but doesn’t sound like read and lead.

The reason why English spelling is so irregular is that they didn't attempt to 'Anglicize' borrowed foreign words to bring it in-line with conventional spelling. One reason for this might be that English is almost a pidgin language of Norman and Old English, with no monolithic substrate unlike High German for example.

Arguably English is still better due to the higher information rate and the higher syllabic rate per unit of information density.

ah yeah im a pleb in regards to languages i only speak german and english ,but i can read latin ,i want to learn spanish or italian but im a lazy fuck

the finnish language is garbage, bro

I'm just glad people speak english everywhere so that I can travel. Having to learn a bunch of different languages would suck.

I've seen it said that the plaid bed scene is pretty rad.

If anyone is actually curious to why the language in OP's post (Tibetan) has a fucking atrocious writing system, NativLang did a good video on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=btn0-Vce5ug

Short answer: Tibetan used to be spelled one way, then when the language changed they didn't change the writing system along with it. Also, Hindi and weird religious scripture.

>English worse than Japanese in spelling
Yeah, if you've only learned hiragana and completely ignored Kanji

>Short answer: Tibetan used to be spelled one way, then when the language changed they didn't change the writing system along with it
True. This is pretty much what happened to English too, at least with the vowels.

>we (paki) are the best