Translator makes a 12 year old girl use an adult scientific term like "penis"

>translator makes a 12 year old girl use an adult scientific term like "penis"
>when she clearly said "chin chin", which in-context would be more accurately translated as "wiener"

does this piss off anyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UaEC-lWSlmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>scientific term
She didn't say penis engine, though?

It pisses me off way more that they used 'hollow' for nare no hate while the manga translation had specifically avoided it.

'Cave raiders' is also questionable.

>hey used 'hollow' for nare no hate while the manga translation had specifically avoided it.
why? because "dark souls reference XD"?

So this show is the perfect storm of lolicons, furfags, gorefags, and autists?

>scientific term like "penis"
>not cockmein

Pretty much, the fact that you become a narehate/go hollow by losing your humanity draws too much of a parallel.
The problem is that it's a false one, the concept of hollowing in Dark Souls is completely different conceptually to what's seen in MiA.

Who the fuck even pays so much attention to vidya terms to draw a parallel? Go back to Sup Forums.

>this completely unrelated game used this term differently so we can't use it on this completely unrelated manga

Why is this manga so obsessed with Reg's shota dick and belly button? He's been stabbed in the navel 3 times now

The "adult, scientific" term for penis is "phallus," you damned ignoramus.

"Penis" works fine here, although I admit that "wiener" would have been funnier.

IS SHE GOING TO DIE IN THE UNTRANSLATED MANGA CHAPTERS?

Yes, she dies and the next volume is filled of pages and pages of panels depicting wind whistling over her corpse.

It doesn't stop happening

Probably because his skin armor is too tough and the belly button is a weak spot or something like that.

i am no shotacon but Reg just click the right button on me

you mean bleach

Because this is actually a fetish manga. The detailed art, intriguing setting and storytelling are only a silly distraction.

>adult scientific term
>penis

You're fishing for reaction images, aren't you?

If you're so good at Japanese why are you watching subs?

but it is. penis is an anatomical term later adapted into casual usage.

I agree with your point entirely, however, I must ridicule you for calling "penis" a scientific term.

No hard feelings, you fucking freak.

Weiner probably would've been better but penis is fine.
She's also a kid trying to be an adult, is the sense I get, although I haven't read the manga or seen the show.
We already have enough autism about dubs, we don't need even more autism about subtitles.

You're complaining about this, and not "rat guard"?

Reasonable, guess she found some anatomy atlas and crossreferenced.

>rat guard
what did they mean by this anyway

It is the correcto anatomical name for the male sex organ in english. Do you think it's slang or something?

>Riko: "I guess I'm not truly alive after all..."
What did she mean by this?

Seriously. In-context that like makes no sense.

My main problem is that girls don't use vulgar words, so the more "medical" sounding form is fine. However, you bring up a good topic. What is the more basic English word for the male sex organ?

>"Wiener" - 1904, shortening of wienerwurst (1889), from German Wiener "of Vienna"
>"Penis" - 1670s, perhaps from French pénis or directly from Latin penis "penis,"
It's hard to say that wiener is more basic, since it developed only recently, and the sex connotation comes from analogy. Penis has a long, proud history of being used in the English language. But what did they use before that?

>"Phallus" - 1605-15; < Latin < Greek phallós penis
Just another Greek borrowing, mostly intended for academic word formation. Thus, the connotation is more literary than medical.

What would be the more basic word, in your opinion or as a result of your research?

She's a literal zombie.

>it's an EOP complains about subs from a language he doesn't understand episode

If you want to localize "chin-chin" you're better off using something like "ding-dong".

I'm asking in-context, genius. Can you read?

She's a zombie in any context.

How about "peepee"?

Penis is a word little kids know. Are you an American prude or something?

That's like saying leg is a scientific term.

Nope

>penis
>scientific term
How uneducated do you have to be to believe this?

Childish terms for penis that would also work are willie and weenie.

Point is, "penis" is not an accurate translation for "chin-chin". In fact it's one of the worst choices I can think after "cock" and "schlong".

Because he's a shotacon. Also has a piss/scat fetish for that matter

Have you ever listened to how 10 year old girls talk?

can you please not marginalize shotacons like that?

Where can I hear 10-12 years old girls talking about dicks?

If you're posting on Sup Forums you're probably too old

If that was the intention then the author would have wrote her using a different term. However, he made her use a childish word instead of one used by adults. It was an objectively incorrect translation.

i gotchu user

Hear, not read.

Did somebody say... Chin chin?

you still can fap to it

penis has a scientific origin but also many uses by silly children i.e. EWWWWWWWW PEEEENIS

wiener or peepee might've been more appropriate from a perspective seeking a sillier term, but there's no black and white. this is translation

Dingaling would be preferable.

Already doing it, but that's not what I asked for.

You can't. That was my point. Little girls (English speakers) don't have a huge vocabulary of synonyms, of varying levels of vulgarity, like boys do at that age. That's why I think "penis" is a perfectly acceptable translation.

The real issue here is English speakers who know just enough Japanese to get themselves in trouble. For example:>If that was the intention then the author would have wrote her using a different term. However, he made her use a childish word instead of one used by adults. It was an objectively incorrect translation.
Wrong. Fuck off with your "objectively" bullshit.

The author wrote her dialogue in Japanese, not English. The two languages developed separately for, what, at least 100,000 years? You've got to be fucking delusional if you think they are going to have a one-to-one matchup in fucking anything.

The important difference here is that Japanese term has a spectrum of politeness, whereas the English term has a spectrum of vulgarity. "o-chin-chin" or just "chin-chin" is a fairly polite way to refer to a dick without fully naming the organ. "Wiener" is a dirty word that kids use to remind people eating a common food item of their dicks during dinnertime. The two are not comparable in the least.

PIN PON

To fucking whom?????

Yeah. I like the concept and the story so far but there are points where you can obviously tell that the writer's just jacking off to his fetishes.

>eating a common food item of their dicks during dinnertime
what did he mean by this?

Me and Chuck Berry
youtu.be/UaEC-lWSlmI

Vulgar would be dick or cock. Wiener would be the childish way of refering ro penis, the more tecnichal term. The tl really made a mistake.

Wiener is vulgar because it comes from analogy from a food item and because people don't actually like it when kids pull their penises out at dinnertime. Little girls don't usually use language like that.

Just admit that you have no younger sisters, no younger cousins, no nieces, you never had female friends in grade school, you never had a girlfriend until at least high school, if ever, and you have no experience at all with listening to how little girls talk. Just fuck off from Sup Forums. You actively bring the board's average IQ down.

Why are you getting so worked up over this? Why are you desperately trying to make it sound like you're the only one with a family and yours is the only way people ever talk?

>Why are you getting so worked up over this? Why are you desperately trying to make it sound like
I wasn't the one who got so worked up to start his own thread. Stop projecting.

I'm only interested in the truth.

>Only interested in truth

>Insults someone and assumes they've never dated anyone based on practically nothing

Now that's projecting.

You most certainly are getting worked up. "Stop projecting"? That's just desperation.

Your emotion is not helping your case.

Googling rat-guard instantly provides an answer.
Hint: they go on mooring lines.

>Scientific word like penis
The only thing that pisses me off is your autism.

>The author wrote her dialogue in Japanese, not English. The two languages developed separately for, what, at least 100,000 years?

Lol, where did you get your linguistics degree? Trinity Southern University?

Would you like to dispute either claim? If so, please go ahead and do so.

People really are just looking for absolutely anything to complain about these days huh?

If you can't dispute my claims, then go fuck yourself.

>Would you like to argue with an idiot?
But of course, who wouldn't?

I'm not your special needs teacher, you gigantic faggot. Go and share funny Trump memes or play video games.

I'm not autistic, so no

Not an argument. In other words, you don't actually care about what I said. You just take exception with the fact that the topic is linguistics.

Why don't you show me on the doll where the linguist touched you.

REKT

>hurr durr, penis is not a scientific term!
...are you guys serious?

It is both the medical term and the least vulgar everyday term.

Welcome to Sup Forums. Where the Japanese language is a genetic trait and 100000 years old.

You're still mad that you got rekt, aren't you?

OP pls

Point on the doll where the linguist touched you, let's get this all out.

You guys are seriously letting this slide? This guy is acting like we shouldn't know what Dark Souls is.
Actually whatever, this is the worst thread I've seen in awhile.

Then wiener is a poor choice of word but something like willie would work fine in this context. Hell, my sister and I thought that willie was the correct, formal word for a penis for ages and it's what our parents told us to call it.

The point is though that he's correct in saying that 'penis' is a poor choice of translation for chin-chin and we're fortunate in English to have many euphemisms to choose from, even if many of them aren't appropriate.

I've never even heard someone use "willie" in my life.

I prefer the adult term 'pingas'.

And I've literally never heard anyone refer to a penis as a 'wiener' in real life. Willie is more of a Brit term then. I suspected as much which is why I said "something like". There must be an equivalent non-vulgar euphemism for penis in common American English usage.

Little boys (under 7 or 8) say shit like wee-wee, or pee-pee, but that's because they have this thing in between their legs, they need a word for it and that's what their parents call it. The whole point of this thread is whether a 9-12 year old girl (How old is Riko anyway?) would have been exposed to such words. It's not an argument about how to translate chin-chin, since we've established that there is no 1-to-1 correspondence with English. It's purely a question of how a precocious little girl, living in a coed orphanage that routinely sends minors to their deaths for money, would talk.

Whip it out

I'd presume there's some degree of exposition. If only through the stories of delvers getting their dicks bitten off. There's also naked hanging.

the author's intention is completely irrelevant, then? we are just doing full-on re-writes based on what we personally think a typical 12-year old American girl would say in that scenario, instead of Riko?

How do you know which English word the author intended to use in translation?

Not him, but I don't play videogames and I know about dark souls only because I read about it on Sup Forums. I had no idea there is a "go hollow by losing your humanity" thing.

>a typical 12-year old American girl
You are just such a fucking dirtbag, by the way. Did I say that? No, I said,
>a precocious little girl, living in a coed orphanage that routinely sends minors to their deaths for money

>language is a genetic trait and 100000 years old.
You're also a dirtbag, if you're not the same piece of shit. Did I say that? No, I said,
>The two languages developed separately for, what, at least 100,000 years? You've got to be fucking delusional if you think they are going to have a one-to-one matchup in fucking anything.
There is nothing here about genetics, just the suggestion that as populations of humans have diverged (fact), it's natural to think that their languages have probably also diverged. It's speculation, but based it's upon reason and evidence that we've been able to observe directly in recent history, for example with Latin transforming to Spanish, French, Italian and the other Romance languages as the Roman colonists were separated from each other geographically.

Now stop strawmanning my arguments.

Damn this show is comfy, its so comfy that it reminds of Aria. Goddamn

>How do you know which English word the author intended to use in translation?
by the choice of words used in Japanese. duh?

How is that? Show your work.

I don't care enough about penises to get emotional over such a thing.