What is the most shitty ass-pull you have seen on an anime?

What is the most shitty ass-pull you have seen on an anime?

O

The entirety of Fairy tail desu, but the guild returning from that island years later was really something else.

MY

Wasn't Bleach just basically just asspull after asspull, to the point where there were no fucking stakes.
>New villain shows up and beats up Ichigo
>Ichigo fucks off to medite/search for power
>Ichigo returns unleashing space magic and deafeats bad guy with a fling of his rist
>Repeat until the audience starts hemorrhaging.

OCEAN DREAM

Naruto and Sasuke dying (or at least nearly dying), and coming back even stronger than ever, because they met the Six Paths sage in the (Semi?)afterlife.

Maybe not the biggest but it's the one that deserves more criticism than it has ever received.

Hey, hey guys. I know the Soul Society arc was genuinely great, but what do you guys think the series would be like if it never happened and it continued from the Karakura arc without going into the main formula of "Ichigo is defeated, trains, gets sick new power, defeats villain."

this nigga right here

It wouldn't be like anything because there was nothing to Bleach before the Soul Society arc.

what makes something an ass pull anyway. Something you feel goes beyond being an arbitrary instigator for subsequent interaction.

TINGLING

Beat me to it

An ass pull is putting a character in a bad situation and instead of him trying to find a way to overcome like making a plan or setting a trap to turn the tables, the lazy writer decides to reveal something to the audience in the last second and boom the character that was losing is now winning or at least surviving

These three are the biggest asspulls imo:

1. ________________O________________

2. _______________________MY_______________________

3. _______________RUBBER_______________

Honorable mention:
________NEN________

fpbp

BACK

Gold experience requiem

Darker than Black S2. The whole setup is just a complete ass pull and a huge letdown from where things were.

Aldnoah Zero. That no one in the room died is just a travesty. Anyone who did not drop it after the S1 "finale" is retarded.

It was comfy ghostbusters.

But Madoka's power wasn't unexpected. We were told about how powerful she could be from the very beginning.

I don't really consider this as an asspull

its also the main plot point of the whole that they mention in every episode, kyubey constantly brings it up as why she should make the contract and homura brings it up as why she shouldn't. her power itself is in no way an asspull especially because its directly complained before it happens too for good measure.

Probably Mai Hime's ending, but I've seen so many over the years, but I still haven't forgotten that one. Then the writer for Yuuki Yuuna pulls the exact same shit, as if he learned nothing from the past.

Nel was a good character well thought out and planned.
She was no asspull they even went on and gave her a few episodes of flashbacks explaining her past with Nnoitra.
Even in the tybw & LPs she's around.

>Starrk is the 1st Espada
>jobbing after they kill his loliself

still mad

0 MY

I still don't understand what the fuck even happened at the end of his fight with Yhwach.

mereum surviving

What do you mean?

How did he beat Yhwach with his original shikai, and why was his original shikai even inside his new bankai?

Because Uryu had hit him with that arrow and the sword went back to it's original form is because Yhwach stole his Hollow and Quincy powers. They were part of Ichigo's true Zanpakutou power. So when they were taken, the Zanpakutou went back to the form it had before he discovered his true power.

>the Zanpakutou went back to the form it had before he discovered his true power.

OMZ was his quincy power, so his original shikai was also quincy power.

I think it would have been neat if instead of breaking to reveal his original shikai, it broke to reveal that long ass zanpakto he started with when he had Rukia's powers. Then it could be something like some tiny remnant of it stayed with him much like how his powers stayed with him as embers during the fullbring stuff.

That's what I was thinking, but that would only work if Rukia went with him instead of Renji
Not even a Rukiafag. Just think the final fight would have been more poetic if Ichigo defeats the final villain with the power that Rukia gave him. Death and Strawberry and all that.

It may look like the original but it's still his bankai broken down to the raw blade. The dream where he died was actually the vision of the future sent by Toofsy.

It should have ended during Soul Society with an after. The third and last plots were poorly written.

to be fair he wasn't really that well after Barragan died, losing his loli self was the final nail of the coffin in the anime, coupled with his well established laziness and lack of fighting spirit made him "give up", i think we didn't even saw one fifth of his true power, i remember the hype about finding out who was the Primera, and he being so different from most arrancar made me like him, if the plot had advanced correctly he could have fought Aizen instead and him dying there would be fine, but he was a nicer character than most "good guys" and his dead was really undeserved and underwhelming, another great character wasted on this series

What a pleb

Starrk was a manically depressed hollow with split personality disorder, he didn't want to live

Nel wasn't an asspull, but her fight with Nnoitra was. Kubo fucking ruined it by cutting it off right at the most hype moment, and instead of centaur Nel vs. praying mantis Nnoitra, she turns back into a kid and then Kenpachi shows up and kills with the power of TWO HANDS.

For no conceivable reason. It's like Kubo wanted to sabotage himself.

>but the guild returning from that island years later was really something else.
The ending is even worse.

>Metal heart
Though I'm happy regardless.

What is O? I don't watch idol garbage

Probably the start of O MY RUBBER NEN or whatever.

RUBBER

Your description contradicts your pic, since nen getting stronger by death was mentioned early in the series and mentioned several times during and before the match, and if that wasn't enough Hisoka literally said he was going to try a trick. It's not like he died without saying anything and then just came back to life and the author introduced the plan and the ability to give orders to your nen.

See

Nel didn't want to kill him

>implying

And that's why she turned back into a kid and Kenpachi showed up and killed Nnoitra just by using two hands.

So 2 hands on the sword is asspull now?

you fucking asshole, made me spit my coffee all over my laptop screen

Yes, because it was treated like a power up, and it came out of nowhere. There was absolutely no reason for it to be there except for Kubo wanting some kind of power up for Kenpachi to match Nnoitra's release. But Kenpachi was already established as not having access to the Shinigami power ups, so two hands on the sword and a random flashback about him learning kendo it was.

Fairy Tail is a marvel of bad writing, like every new arc completely fucks over the previous arc by summing up everything as one big misunderstanding.

>unit 1 has awakened... WE CAN NO LONGER CONTROL IT...!

>next episode unit 1 is mysteriously chained up and is no longer seen as a threat for the rest of the show

O, MY SIMILAR TYPE OF STAND

>Gajeel brutalizes Levy and her team and pins them to a tree as a declaration of war
>nah you're just lonely come join us!
Never understood it. Sometimes bad guys should just be bad guys.

You can dislike the idea of requiem stands/the arrow all you like, but they heavily built up the significance of the arrow, and in the final battle they made it very clear from the start that whoever got the arrow would win.

You could say it's bad writing, but it's not an asspull.

Biggest ball they dropped was Jellal. The tower of heaven arc was off to a good start for the series. They had the demons established, they had character connections to the island. The whole body double thing was sort of stupid but overall it seemed like it was going to get good.

But then it was pointless, oh so utterly pointless. Jellal became nothing more than Erza's husbando and everything, even the villian motives in the arc became completely disregarded. I don't even think they ever properly justified Ultear's involvement in it.

>I don't even think they ever properly justified Ultear's involvement in it.
She worshiped Zeref, I think. And Jellal was supposedly being possessed by Zeref?

Where was it foreshadowed that Star Platinum and The World would have the same abilities?

He relaxed.

That's not what I mean. The cult was building the tower to bring Zeref back to life. But later on it's revealed that Zeref never died and had been doing a lot of fucking shit including running an entire country and all that other retarded shit.

For what ever reason that one guild who's name escapes me, that Ultear was a member of since she was young, also didn't know Zeref was alive but for some reason they weren't a part of the cult building the towers.
Ultear essentially mind fucks Jellal into continuing the tower even after the slave revolt by pretending to be Zeref deciding that Jellal would be a better means to bring himself back than the cult.

Why Ultear does this convoluted scheme to begin with is never really justified, it ends up being another guild meddling in the affairs of a cult and their slaves despite having the same goals.

But it doesn't really matter if it's justified or not, Ultear being the "Zeref" behind Jellal's position was blatantly written later because the author clearly had cold feat regarding how he should introduce Zeref. The way it was written was for the spirit of Zeref to see Jellal's magical potential and possess him. The ret con tries to structure a greater plan around it but it falls flat because it doesn't make sense, the author just wanted to bail on the Zeref being dead idea, which is why when we return to Ultear and her guild they already conveniently figured out that Zeref never died.

I would beat her at all right places.

Too bad FT author should have stuck to ecchi anime.

SAME TYPE OF STAND POWAH

The whole of this character was asspull.
His character, motivations and the fucking way he was killed was an asspull.

All his girls are the same though.

Not all of them.

Levy and Wendy are the only ones I can think off with a different body model. I don't remember anyone who stood out with a bigger chest than most of the girls.

There was also Mavis and Chelia, or Sherria. Yukino as well. Erza's mom and I think Brandish were thicker than usual.

Virgo and Aries were slimmer too, iirc.

Adult Gon, but it was in the manga

>watching anime when you can read the manga
isshydiggy

i saw one guy become a fucking blonde haired aryan and kill the bad guy. he was like half monkey or something and it made no sense. some kind of weird black to white power fantasy? made no sense except for the whtie blonde blue eyed guy being super and the best.

maka punch of courage

This is literally the opposite of an asspull powerup; Kubo had already established that Kenpachi uses various methods to limit himself in battle, and that he prefers to swing his sword with only one hand. A proper Kendo stance being more powerful not only makes more sense in reality, it also makes sense in the Bleach canon since Reiatsu is released through the palms of the hand and the base of the feet.

>not doing both

>This is literally the opposite of an asspull powerup
It really isn't. By this point in the story, there was nothing about where reiatsu is released, there was nothing about Kenpachi using kendo, or anything about why that would matter. Literally, what we got was "Well, I guess it's time to use some kendo" and then a flashback about Yama making him learn it.

What Kubo did was a retcon for Zaraki. He used Kendo bullshit first before other things you've said were established

"hora" pronounced ora, is spanish for time.
That's the joke

>Kenpachi uses various methods to limit himself in battle
>he prefers to swing his sword with only one hand

Both established well before the fight in question.

>what we got was "Well, I guess it's time to use some kendo" and then a flashback about Yama making him learn it.

You're argument here is "it was explained in a flashback, therefore its an asspull". You can't even argue that the explanation doesn't make sense or that it in any way breaks what had already been established in the story up to that point.

I'm pretty sure Bleach has more worse asspull but my brain refuses to remember it

>Both established well before the fight in question.
It's not enough, because there was literally nothing about using two hands being power up. At best just a better, less casual technique. I never saw using just hand one as a limit he put on himself, just a way to show that he wasn't taking the fight seriously.

>You're argument here is "it was explained in a flashback, therefore its an asspull".
Yeah, a flashback that happened IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIGHT. Here's how it went.

>Nnoitra releases
>welp, time to do kendo
>kendo flashback
>Nnoitra dies

Is that good writing to you? A flashback in the middle of the fight is all you need to really foreshadow a power up?

>because there was literally nothing about using two hands being power up

Again, if it can be repeated in reality there's no suspension of disbelief. It wasn't a power-up, a proper Kendo strike is simply more powerful than a one-handed one. Compare to a similar trope: a duelist uses their less-dominant hand in a swordfight, then upon switching hands their true skill is revealed. It appears in countless forms of medium because its something that could technically be repeated in reality.

>Is that good writing to you? A flashback in the middle of the fight is all you need to really foreshadow a power up?

A flashback in the middle of a fight is actually good writing if used correctly, as long as what happens in the flashback is believable. You're falling into the "all tropes are bad" argument because in other manga of this genre, what's being shown in the flashback is going to be some sort of 'forbidden technique' that wasn't properly foreshadowed. Kendo is an incredibly basic technique for all Shinigami, so that Zaraki was required to learn it doesn't in any way break the audiences suspension of belief.

Jotaro having timestop is an asspull, but it's forgivable because the fight was interesting anyway, it's not like Dio instantly lost to Jotaro just because he revealed timestop. Jotaro slipping away from the falling road roller is harder to forgive, because it happens out of camera and he had just a few seconds to slip away and get behind Dio. In the manga isn't as noticeable, but in the anime is painful.

However, it was mentioned multiple times that Dio and Jotaro had similar stands, D'arby's fear is more understandable if he thought Jotaro had timestop, and Dio used Joseph's stand power, setting a precedent for repeated powers between Dio and the Joestars. Whether it was planned by Araki or just a coincidence, we will never know but it was a coincidence.

I remember the last episode of Soul Eater to be particularly terrible and out of left field

All of Rail/Dex is just a series of buildups for the Next Huge Asspull.

I dropped it when they went to the island where the grave of the ex guild master was and the dragon came and killed everyone.
They even fucking teased the kid set to replace them as the next lead.
Then like 3 fucking issues later, the fucking ghost of the guild master, out of fucking nowhere, protected everyone and saved them from the dragon.

Pitou's headless body moving by itself and trying to kill Gon is ok but Hisoka ressurecting himself through rubber and gum is not.
Chrollocucks are just angry Hisoka got a power up and is going to murder the shitty spiders.

>Chrollocucks
But Chrollo curbstomped Hisoka, so what would that make Hisoka fans?

The fight's not over yet. It only ends when one of them dies.

Complete, offensive bullshit

>It wasn't a power-up
It literally was. It was to match Nnoitra's release. It may not have been a transformation, but that's literally how it was treated. He went on about how using two hands makes you so much stronger, he had the flashback, he switches to two hands, and then does one swing that beats Nnoitra and makes a massive shockwave. It's consistent with Bleach's approach to making higher stakes. Nearly everyone is defeated by unveiling some new special move or power up.

>A flashback in the middle of a fight is actually good writing if used correctly
It definitely was not used correctly here. It was treated like a sledgehammer to bang in a nail. There was no need for a flashback, no need for emphasis on it. Literally all that was required were some visual cues that Kenpachi was taking it more seriously. Shifting to a two-handed stance, Nnoitra reacting to his change in attitude, a page showing him in kendo stance with his skull reiatsu flaring up behind him, etc. There was no need to disrupt the momentum of the fight AGAIN just to highlight something that by your own standards is a common and sensible trope and already regarded as a basic technique for Shinigami in the setting. Even just showing Kenpachi, with his characterization, actually using a proper technique should tell volumes to anyone with more than half a brain. And it would also be nice if he actually fought using kendo after that, not just using it as a one off special move.

>It literally was.
It literally wasn't; your argument is that because it follows a formula commonly used in the genre then its the same as that formula, when it clearly isn't.

>It definitely was not used correctly here.
We know that Kenpachi wasn't brought up through the Shinigami academy, and that only someone with Yamamoto's authority could order him to learn it, not to mention it comes up as a later plot point when he trains with Unohana. At least you gave up on the asspull argument though.

>And it would also be nice if he actually fought using kendo after that, not just using it as a one off special move.

As he explained in the manga, it's not his preferred fighting style. Also once he obtains his Shikai it doesn't make sense for him to use Kendo, since he's wielding an axe.