Gardening will save the world Thread

My comfrey plant. Also called knitbone.
Clay-buster. Dynamic-accumulator. Feeds other plants.
>save entire fucking planet with one fucking plant

Get onboard, faggots.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYwB63YslbA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Agreed...if all the self improvement fags would quit the gym and farm like real men, maybe we have a chance to take down their plans to poison all our food.
Based brazil bro had a few threads about farming/gardening and talked about pic related.

He used this plant to reclaim his land. As he stated, this plant is a complete green fertilizer and does the little miracle of making land fertile again.

I have a small hobby farm. I have heard of this plant before. My natural soil is Sandy here, but i may use as a cover crop.

checked

I will have to check that out. Argemone mexicana.

Fashy farmer here, I've been doing this and it's not easy. I have people argue with me that they can get produce cheaper at Walmart. Taco trucks don't belong at the farmers market.

Feels good to see a gardening thread here. Spent the weekend prepping the beds, planting some new crops, and some container farming. Organic non GMO seeds.

It is a poppy plant, apparently packs quite a punch when you harvest and dry the yellow latex.
Serves a good pain relief medicine as well according to the Brazilian dude that spoke about it.

So many people are ignorant and it's not their fault.

When I first learned about permaculture, it made me cry. I was mad and happy at the same time.

>easy organics by gardening at home

months of enjoyment and good eating ahead, friend

Did you buy the Alex Jones seeds?

When I was a kid we had an awesome huge garden with fucking everything in there, in my great backyard in the house that my dad worked for before my mom divorced him and now I don't get to inherit that house or have a garden until fuck knows when

wow this just got even better

divorce is one of the great failures of the baby-boomers

POST YOUR FAVORITE / BEST PLANTS

I've been dabbling in hydroponics lately.
Have more lettuce than I know what to do with,

Going to start an outdoor garden this season.

Yes, LOL...This plant grows everywhere around here, had no idea until I read that thread but have been reading more about it and it seems like the Brazil user was correct about this little miracle. The only known plant that can reclaim alkaline soil!

Although it grows in very warm climate and is a poppy plant (can't transplant), the Brazil user suggested (for those in colder climates) to star individual seeds in egg trays (cardboard) and then bury the individual cells in sunny spots, plant takes easily.

The only problem is trying to grow zucchini. These awful little shits burrow into them and destroy them, every time. I just harvest what I can before the worms set in and then plant the zucchini in another bed the next time. The local birds take care of all of the other pests. I have tomatoes for DAYS when things go well. Greens, too. All of those weirdos memed organic kale into some sort of expensive super food. That shit grows like weeds, lol.

i live pretty far north so the growing season is short. as such i get my best results by growing crops that do well in cooler weather.

leeks, parsnips, potatoes, and kale are grown for volume. a variety of lettuces, beans, and peas round out the harvest.

i eat my own veggies for about 6 months of the year. i never need to buy parsnips and i'm looking to expand the potato crop so i won't need to buy those either.

What plants do you recommend for beginners wanting to grow some plants indoors?

Kekeleklelelekkkekekekelekkekekelekekkeke

Quick folk medicine for headaches. Plant a willow tree and everyday harvest 5 leaves. Boil it with 1 cup of water and you basically have a baby aspirin. Been doing it for years and no headache

For once...I can agree with a communist.

Red sail lettuce. Quick to grow and as long as your harvest the outside larger leafs you have a year round salad

The bark is even more powerful for headaches and serves as a rooting hormone.

Geothermal greenhouse man. Best decision I’ve ever made. It cost a bit to build but you’re using the earth energy to warm your plants

Some quick folk medicine for intestinal troubles. Grow mint and make mint tea. Mint will take over any garden if you're not careful with it, it grows so well. Mint tea works better for a lot of folks than IBS medicine.

Amaranth.

The wheat of south america. Can be started inside and planted when weather permits. Provides grain and edible leafs, it a beautiful plant and is drought resistant. This is a complete food = protein, minerals, vitamins.

Yep but I have a small new one so I can’t rip the bark yet. An Indian told me that during ww2 his tribesman would carry the root powder and let us soldier drink a milk like substance during the cold. Apparent using the root kills the plant but it’s a strong blood thinner for heart attacks or for the cold

True, especially if you add some ginger in that

How does it bust clay?! I got a big ass garden and would love to improve my natural soil.

my fucking ass
you can sure as fuck get beans and rice for unholy mexican prices at walmart, but thats about it.
anytihing which is grown by the billions of acre, such as wheat and potato, is obviously going to be more economical to just buy

rice is probably the best deal, as it requires unholy irrigation

ya, it was the original aspirin.

I grew strawberries last year but for some reason they all tasted tart. Anything like this happens to you guys

Thanks. While it's the first time I see this variety, lettuce is something that come to my mind as "easy crop". I'll try this in spring.

Rice is usually grown in water because it is rot resistant and it is a way to keep pests away. Not necessary however. I have been growing a native Brazilian red rice and it requires very little water

yeah probably best not to ingest alkaloids which are a mexican mystery

You need to adjust the acidity of your soil.

Use coffee grounds next time at the base, mix it in the soil real good and you will have some seriously sweet strawberries

Doubles-thread unlocked

I grow lettuce cucumber and tomatoes. Nothing makes me happier than picking my own lunch

Gardening seems pretty faggy desu

Basil! Easy and fun.

Argemone Mexicana is considered a sacred plant by the mexican natives. Humans have been smoking it for a long time. According to Brazil user, it is quite powerful and only a small amount is enough to cure excruciating pain.

This makes me jealous of warmer climates

Gardening = best exercise and all effort = 100% reward back to you and your health

comrade

TEST YOUR SOIL!

Where I grew up, it was discovered that a neighbouring area was previously a dumping ground. Homes in that area had a bad habit of their foundations sinking on one side, cracking the home, and the investigation into that is how it was discovered. Families who had been growing fruits and vegetables in their yards could have been ingesting all sorts of nasty shit from the contaminated soil.

Why? get a book on the native plants of your region, you will learn how much stuff you can grow. Your region is rich in mushrooms, probably the most medicinal food out there.

Many traditional foods are forgotten but are part of the native experience of any peoples.

Nah mate, setting up a greenhouse and growing shit is legit red pill.

why the fuck do you live in brazil?

you seem to know the land very well, but living anywhere in south/central america is just dumb

Does growing pot count?

It depends on what you're trying to grow. I eat a LOT of greens - turnip, mustard, kale, collards - All grow easily and this is so much cheaper than buying it in the store. Bellpeppers and other hot peppers I grow, and they grow easily. Sometimes a non-organic bell pepper will be $2 a piece where I live - fuck that. Beans take up a lot of garden space. The only reason I grow them sometimes is because I want things the stores don't carry. If I want pink-eyed purple hulled peas, I'm going to have to grow them. Some foods just aren't in the stores at all. There will be weeks where I cannot find red leaf lettuce or butter crunch. So, I'm usually always trying to grow this type of lettuce (depending on the weather). You can save a lot of money growing your own tomatoes. Sometimes I just can't find decent looking tomatoes in the store. If I grow lots of them, I'll eat as many fresh as possible, then put some up for later. I used to do a lot of canning but lately I've been lazy and freezing.

Thank you, commiebro, more people need to get into this sort of thing.

I have a 365 day a year growing season, e-mailed the brazilian user that made those based threads, dude sent me a fucking shitload of heirloom seeds.

I can grow pretty much anything I want. Feels pretty good. Brazil user has a catalog of over 100 edible plants he grows on a 40m x 40m lot.

Definitely something oft neglected, thanks.

hell yes.

I want to grow marijuana as a companion to comfrey and other plants. See what happens.

Not actually a grain, but what is called a "pseudograin". Quinoa is another common example and both are quite tasty.

im jealous

i have 4 acres but shit climate.

Crimson clover

Great nitrogen cover crop for nut orchards, etc.

IIRC, sweet potatoes give the most calories per acre, though I bet you could do better with vertical farming.

agreed, zealous bro. Meme onwards!

thanks for the addition user.

check out Permaculture.

What part of the states?

yes, but i rather just grow traditional poppy for that, instead of some noxious mexican choke weed. any plant which has some purpose is sacred to people who live like animals and eat wild plants

hint: mexicans are not smart, and other plants do it better.
BUT yes, i suppose having that latex is an added benefit to the main role which the plant is used for.
traditional poppy is much better

amazing plant though, but i seriously wouldn't fuck with its latex

Chives and hot peppers are really easy. Avoid tomatoes at first.

oh fuck yeah.

getting so many good plants from this thread

Alaska grows the largest cabbages in the world.

If you're not making a sissy garden then its definitely a man's jobs, physically demanding having to lug barrels of dirt and mulch around, Bushes can be particularly heavy to move around on your own and it's hella work to remove a bush that's been in the ground for more than a few years.

Even the most expensive supermarket known to the UK bell Peppers come in at 75c a piece (50p)

What kind of kikery is 2 dollars a pepper.

Get a book on the plant life you have over where you live. You would be surprised all the medicine/food you have but that people don't eat anymore.

Best tip I got from e-mailing the Brazilian user.
Even with a simple greenhouse you can get a tons of plants growing! It will extend your growing season.

I am thinking of starting a little greenhouse for when the temperature dips so I can grow tropical plants. The biggest problem with a greenhouse is fungus gnats but Branon dropped an awesome tip about that problem:

Sweet coffee traps (for adults)
Potato slices to get rid of the larvae
Cinnamon tea to control fungus in the first place...

I tried the coffee traps and it works!

The reasearch on Argemone Mexicana shows that it is the perfect green fertilizer and reclaims soil...other poppy plants don't do the same and will actually leech much of the nitrogen in your soil.

lol medieval peasants
america has truly evolved into a third world country

alaska is actually worse than south central, compton, or any nigger state.

it really is

Ever been to a "health food" store? Everything there is marked up.

I don't know if it's the same in your area, but there's a lot of fraud when it comes to "organic" and "local" produce here.

youtube.com/watch?v=YYwB63YslbA

All of our food costs are going up. I think a lot of people don't notice, because they don't cook! It's crazy. I'm a southern fag and all of our cheap eats (peppers, greens, tomatoes) have all gone up in cost. So I grow my own now.

can I use these magic herbs to fix my lawn? my dogs have killed like half the grass.

beautiful

They sure as shit notice that the portion sizes are gradually getting smaller.

what is a sweet coffee trap?

Sure...I have dogs and put up a simple barrier to reclaim the land. Waiting on my package to put some of those mexican poppy plants. Very exciting times.

>taking advice from a commie
Let me guess, communism will also play a vital role in saving the planet?
Eat a dick, faggot

i love orchids

You take tiny little cups and fill them with sweet coffee (coffee + sugar) place them close to your plants in the greenhouse. The fungus gnats are attracted to the fungus that grows within 2-3 days and will drown in the coffee trap. Dump the coffee, fill again and you are set.

If you have an infestation in a plant, you add potato slices (thin) on the soil and the next day you removed them, you will see hundreds of fungus gnat larvae on them, eating the potato.

finally, spray the soil with a cinnamon tea to kill the soil fungus and you can have a wonderful smelling greenhouse free of fungus gnats

Maybe.

Comfrey will grow huge. It's mainly used for composting, feeding other plants, etc, especially fruit trees.

Growing grass is not the same as gardening, imo. Maybe a taller, hardier grass? But homeowner's assoc and such interfere with those kind of things.

fantastic, thanks.

slide hard, fag.

If every person in the world grew one plant, imagine.......

My pleasure.

>Growing your own vegetables and fruits and not being reliant on supermarket garbage is faggy

sounds like someone has a brown thumb

Big agro and big pharma would shit their pants HAHAHAH

post some compressed liquid cashew nut oil being used to gas the native monkies

7 billion kroger-style basil plants.... such good pasta sauce.

I'd rather grow clovers than grass. Never gets so long that you have to cut it and it's good for the bees.

Got this plant also from Branon:

The toothache plant. You can read up on the amazing medicinal properties of this plant. The flower buds act as an analgesic and will make your mouth numb. Have had this plant before, it is used to make soup in the Northern regions of Brazil.

After eating the soup, your mouth turns numb and your lips feel like they vibrate. The natives of brazil rub it on their cock tip to prevent premature ejaculation. It had powerful antibiotics that help treat mouth disease.

The leaves, stems and flower buds are edible. Can be grown as a house plant AND you can make cuttings by putting non flowering stems in water for a few days.

Growing plants is good for you, user.

>clay-buster

I have to check that out. I’m over granite, do you think that would help too?

I LOVE BASIL

Pesto sauce: tons of leaves, nuts, lemon juice, olive oil and Parmesan cheese...blend until smooth, add to pasta or on toasted bread....LOVELY

Basil is so easy to grow. I love it. There is a lot we can grow that the grocery stores charge so much for. Right now I have I have a rosemary plant the size of a small tree. You go to the store for fresh rosemary and they want to charge you $3-$4 for a few fresh twigs. All fresh herbs are very expensive. I've also grow sage, oregano, chives, and thyme. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. You can just seed them in between larger plants. They're literal weeds.

Figs are best in the CA desert.

That is true...and so many rare herbs and spice plants are not even available and can be grown so easily at home or in small gardens.

I grow all my own spices but am very excited to be getting heirloom seeds of the toothache plant. Tastes like lemon and will put your mouth to sleep ..rarest spice I have ever come across.

Make a stew, have guests eat the plant and think you poisoned them LOL

It's too bad I'm allergic to figs. I have two fig trees that produce like crazy, as though to spite me. I wind up giving them away...

Why don't you make a jam and sell it at your local market? Add a little brandy and you have a fine product

>permaculture

Permaculture is based. It’s like having a sustainable science project in your property that gives you returns.

>pic related

On this day, it was 105F outside. My peach tree was literally chilling in it= MOIST