What's so special about Lain and why do neckbeard NEET STEM wannabes love it so much?

What's so special about Lain and why do neckbeard NEET STEM wannabes love it so much?

It's the 90's Internet and its communities personified.

takes seriously the internet as an embodiment of the collective unconscious. Filled with references to nerdy computer science stuff (hypertext, Xanadu).

I want to fuck Lain.

it isn't special per se but it's a pretty good DEEP anime
Great ost and animation for the most part

t. moe shit virgin

must be 2deep4you

and you don't seem to understand

It might not be quite as deep as some people make it out to be, but it has a unique atmosphere. And Lain is a cute fucker, especially when she's wearing the bear.

Lain is so beautiful

because stupid people enjoy over complicated garbage which they are unable to understand, it's the same as steins;gate.

How can neets be STEM?

lain is a pretentious moeshit

so it's another evangelion ripp-off right ? wonder why do people call code geass an evangelion rip-off but nobody calls lain that

>steins;gate
>overcomplicated
have you tried not being retarded

I don't know. Majority of them spout "lets all love lain" and "and you don't seem to understand" which makes me think they have seen the show like once and are overthinking it. Lain is not hard to follow I have seen about 30 times really like it but none of these fags take it serious and spout the same shit in every thread taking their "unique spooky gifs" from neocities. Most of them are fags is what I am trying to say.

Lain is like the personification of old-school obscure internet shit. And SEL is a great show too

>personification of old-school obscure internet shit
Were you even on the net during the dotcom bubble and after? Lain does not personify that time at all.

uh, it absolutely isn't. People have been making that comparison since Lain came out and it never made sense: the reason it happens at all is that they both focus on highly alienated protagonists, but that's about where the similarities stop.

It's an incredibly smart and forward thinking show, but I have mixed feelings about it. It does nothing to maintain the viewer's interest on a moment to moment basis. It does have an atmosphere unlike any other show I've seen, you really don't know how to feel at any given moment except uncomfortable. It's simultaneously boring and unsettling. The plot is also really out there, and it's hard to relate to someone becoming a literal God. Even though I do like all the philosophy stuff, it's pretty dry.

Even if isn't a 10/10 it's unique, unlike 90% of the trash on this board.

Aesthetics, themes that are interesting to STEMfags, a cute girl, and philosophy undertones that are pretty easy to understand but not too-in-your-face to seem pretentious and vain (although plenty of people think it's but oh well.

You don't love Lain that's why.

>random makes lainchan
>lain becomes symbol of internet counterculture bullshit

Why do random neckbeards in america with no children love Yotsubato so much?

I love Lain!

autism

Both have antagonists that want to revert humanity to a primordial connected state, and both have the theme of embracing yourself as a human being.

Just because its bait it doesn't make it any less true.

>Both have antagonists that want to revert humanity to a primordial connected state

Eh, I think Eiri's goal was much more explicitly about gaining dominion over a world he felt had wronged him, whereas SEELE honestly believed they were going to advance the human species. I guess the end results would have been similar though. Your point that they both have to do with the dissolution of identity is true enough, but they do it in very different ways and with a different focus - Lain is about literal disassociation from yourself, Eva is about disassociation as a defense mechanism.

as for "embracing yourself as a human being" - that's common to so many anime that drawing an explicit analogy between eva and Lain on that basis is meaningless.