I see so many controversial opinions on this series. Can anyone actually break it down?

I see so many controversial opinions on this series. Can anyone actually break it down?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EY3deSWuO58
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Watch 99 and read the manga.

O

Every opinion on this series is a controversial one. Just read the manga and you'll be fine.

MY

The manga is fun and engaging. Both 99 and 2011 are enjoyable adaptation. There's nothing 'controversial' about it. People who push an agenda of 'x is better than y' are arguing for the sake of argument.

RUBBER

It good

Chrollo won.

NEN

It's a decent adventure story with mostly likable characters that's carried by an interesting fighting system where more power is usually not the solution.

It's got ups and downs, but if only for the Chimera Ant arc it's worth a read.

My least favorite thing about the series is how many training arcs there are. Almost every arc begins strong and then gets interrupted by somebody learning how to master Nen better than before. Despite its faults it remains one of my favorite battle shounen.

Manga > 1999 > 2011

This. The Nen system is well thought out, it works kind of like DBZ mixed with Jojo Stands. A lot of battles rely on outwitting the opponent. Also, there's a lot of asymmetrical combat.

Just read and watch the 99 yorkshin + 2011 chimera ants because the soundtrack and animation make it so much better than the manga.

Figuring out the nen system and Chimera Ants arc are the only good parts of the series.

>what is Yorkshin arc

O

>manga has cult following for years, mostly yuyu hakusho and togashi fans

>2011 anime happens, DBZ and naruto retards barge in to contaminate the fanbase

> very vocal faggots from Sup Forums meme about "asspulls" because it became too popular so its own good, so now they want to watch it burn

>every now and then a new person wants to see what the big deal is about and gets disappointed because its not what he expected, makes a thread, rinse and repeat.

>we will never have the comfy threads we used to have back when ant manga arc was happening

if you want another breakdown, its a series that heavily emphathizes on breaking shonen trophes and gets text-heavy on is explanations, hence short-tempered people get pissed off about it because they want "epic DBZ" fights or "what they expected to happen didn't happen" hence they get uncomfortable and trash it down.

my favorite series of all time since 10 years, but its impossible to discuss anymore over here.

MY

>2017
>Watching asspull x asspull

a lot of asspulls

This, but people will just meme every popular series down and hxh is not immune

It's a shit shounen with a pretentiously edgy arc somehow makes reddit and Sup Forums panties wet.
You are literally better off literally watching any other shounen unless you enjoy mindless drivel, disconnected plots, asspulls, underused power system and be part of a circle jerk teens.

You can't even watch it for a decent fight.

RUBBER

It has recently gained a newfound popularity amongst anime fans around the internet, making it way more relevant than it's ever been. It once had a cult following but now is topping everyone's top 5s, and due to this site's exclusively contrarian nature, with that popularity came a wave of shitposting that will only cease when the next popular thing takes Sup Forums by storm and people start praising it as the best anime ever made, to which we'll reply with "Fucking normie, THIS obscure anime is just like your overrated garbage but BETTER" and the cycle will continue. There's of course the other wave of HxH shitposting (O MY etcetera), but that's just your usual meme shitposting, which while it's no longer funny it still hasn't died because there are two sides constantly at war over it.

The real question is: is it actually good? well forget everything you've seen here and go watch it/read it, faggot. It's the best shonen ever made, fight me nigger.

>cult following
>one of the most successful and popular manga ever
???

>Best shounen

This.

If for some reason you want to kill 50 minutes, here's a really good video that breaks down the show and its strengths. I just listened on 2x speed and had a great time.
youtube.com/watch?v=EY3deSWuO58

Also, its a pretty gay show. so if thats a problem for you stay away i guess lmao.

I know a lot of people recc 99 here, but i think the pacing is better in 2011. I'd say watch 2011, catch up on the manga, and then watch 99 for fun.

NEN

Above-average battle shonen with creative powers, great worldbuilding, anticlimaxes and lack of actual fights.
The only ones who don't like it are shitters that think that everything is an asspull.

O

O MY NEN GENIUS
O MY RUBBER GUM
O MY STEALING CHAIN

three asspulls in like 15 chapters

MY

which battle shounen is better than hxh

RUBBER

>Above average battle shounen
Literally 0 memorable fights.

None

NEN

Jojo
Naruto
One piece
DB
Law of ueki

Literally any anime with fights

>manga
There's your problem. I think kids don't read manga these days, things get real attention when they become anime within a 15~ year range, both HxH and Jojo's are good examples of this. Very succesful manga that nobody who isn't a manga fan had heard about, not even their 90s adaptations made them relevant enough until they got adapted again. The manga fanbase is definitely smaller than the anime fanbase, so your regular anime fan has never read Monster, or Vagabond, or Oyasumi Punpun. Manga isn't as easily consumable nor is it able to get as naturally popular as anime.

I'm actually looking to read/watch something new right now, so please give me a better one.

O

>no timeskip
>you will never see Gon and Killua grow up to realize their full potential

Gon x Hisoka
Random Jobbers x Uvogin (Because Uvogin is just that awesome)
Netero x Meruem

me fucking too buddy... me too...

O MY POOR MAN'S ROSE
O MY BELIEVE IN GING

MADAFAKKIN CONTINU DIS SHIT TOGASHI YOU SLIT EYED FUCK SHIT CUNT NIGGER all in all it was quite a decent series, good story, interesting characters, expansive world.

>O MY POOR MAN'S ROSE
this is justifiable
>O MY BELIEVE IN GING
definitely an asspull

>normie
Fuck off.

>CONTINU DIS SHIT TOGASHI
What do you mean? ´we have new chapter every week now.

Excuse me, I meant normalfag. The normies are rubbing off on me :^)

It's what always happens whenever a long running manga gets a new anime. It happened to jjba, and it happened to hxh.

Chrollo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hisoc uck

Its only gonna be a 10 week run though, so we're past the midpoint. Its gonna be at least another year till we get more after that.

It's a seinen sold as a shonen. You are not in for the fights, although when there is one, you enjoy it a lot, since it isn't random power ups and the outcome of the battle isn't decided on who has the biggest dick.
You have to read/watch enjoying the ride, if you want things to go the way you want this is not for you, much ofthe punch of this series is the adventure and the unexpected. But unlike other series, HxH isn't afraid to set aside MC characters to favour world-building.
It has both a lot of text and subtle information in textless pannels so you probably need to enjoy reading and be somewhat educated to fully understand why it is fun.
If you are watching it I would recomend the 1999 adaptarion because it does a good job of bringing the still frames into the small screen. 2011 version is more modern and recived less love in that matter trying to do a 1:1 transcription from manga to anime without enphasising on audio, animation and directing making it feel akward. Altough it is logner since by the time it was done there were more manga chapters.

All you need to know is that Pitou is the best and cutest girl in the series

No it's a shounen. I don't know why people think "seinen" implies deep and mature when there's tons of shit seinen out there and shounen is equivalent to every cliche battle manga out there

Finally, some sensible people in this thread.

this is what shits up HxH thread
Pitou is a motherfuckin ant, "she" an "it"

Pitou is female

This

The ones I like more than Hunter x Hunter

O

>It's a seinen sold as a shonen.
HxH is shonen as fuck. Just because it inserts some dark elements and occasional curveballs into the story doesnt make it seinen. You cant just point to the climax of the Chimera Arc and ignore that everything preceding was shonen.

>You are not in for the fights, although when there is one, you enjoy it a lot, since it isn't random power ups and the outcome of the battle isn't decided on who has the biggest dick.
I never understood this. Battles can be determined on sight desu. The only instances where the strongest fighters dont win is when the protagonists are fighting them in a rematch. That's all shonen as fuck.

>HxH isn't afraid to set aside MC characters to favour world-building.
Which is why we have a terribly underdeveloped MCs. And no, bullying your protags doesnt make them well written.

Yu yu hakusho

Gintama

O MY BROTHER/SISTER

shonen is like +13 and seinen +21, gantz is seinen by put sex,drugs and violence don't because muh maturity.

MY

DOLPHIN

Remember when people starts a sentence with "O" and you instantly recognize what they're referencing? Yeah, then you remember a fight from it. Like it or not.