irish

Most overrated ugly looking anime.

Haven't seen the anime but the VN is 10/10

Or forgotten

I want to marry kyou

Fuck.

God tier anime

Right in the feels.

The Irish group were a family, but according to google the word means "lyrics". If that's the misunderstanding behing the animes odd name, then it might as well be called "The Jackson 5"

can't let a clannad thread die in good faith

I wish I could see grown up Ushio. Having her father's sarcastic humor and her mother/grandmother ability to read people mean she can probably out-banter everyone in the show.

I want to marry Ushio

The another thread just died. You just missed it.

>other

Family means everyone dies from disease.

I checked the archive, is it the 1 replies Clannad thread? Such a shame, seems like that OP have quite a good taste.

It's strange how this anime has a couple Irish folklore references. Like the opening song Mag Mell which is the same name as the otherworld which is basically paradise achievable after death (and in battle).

Probably a lot more than that which I haven't recognized.

Yes that one. Shame indeed. Kyoufags are a dying breed.

I finally realized why time turns back to Ushio's birth after she dies.
Remember how they mention that when one of those lights appears it means a wish has been fulfilled (or you can wish upon it). A light appeared when Ushio died in Tomoya's arms so his wish was to turn back time.

Ugly, yes. Not overrated.

So many animes have been made since when clannad came out, but no one can surpass it at all.

Actually he wishes to go back to when he first met Nagisa so that he could never talk to her so that she would never die and everyones life never made worse by him but luckily he realizes otherwise and is unable to go through with it so he wishes for his well deserved happy ending instead

FAMILY!

I want to have adulterous sexual encounters with this young wife.

Yeah? Even if you don't play the VN it's pretty obvious.

Kyou is cute!

Cute!

Living a modest, happy life with Tomoyo.

A CUTE

Clan is family.
Your nads are your balls.

Nagisa... worst character ive ever been introduced too. My hate for her transcends all heavens

Clannad is the name of the Irish band. Maeda thought that it meant "family" in Irish, but the Irish word for family is just "clann." So the intended meaning of the title is "family."

The anime improves on the VN in a few points, I think, especially near the end of After Story. Most of the quality drop comes in the anime's version of the school arc. It's worth watching, though.

There's an Irish-themed arrange album of the soundtrack, called Mabinogi. Here's the Fuko theme from it
youtube.com/watch?v=EHELopS71lY

It's kind of hard to explain exactly how it works in the anime. In the VN all of the different routes are alternate realities that are connected to each other at some level. So through the different realities Tomoya acquires many light orbs, which combined together are powerful enough to save Nagisa. The timeline in which Nagisa lives is another separate reality, and Tomoya uses the light orbs at the moment she's going to die and she survives. He doesn't go back in time, but she just never dies in that reality. Of course in the anime all of the routes are combined into one timeline, so it becomes a bit iffier. I think the most likely explanation for the anime is that Tomoya acquired one light orb, at the moment when he reconciled with his father, when Ushio sees a light orb float down and go into his chest (this is contrary to e.g. the Yukine light orb which floats off in the sky). He then used that to wish for someone to save Ushio at the moment after he died, enabling everything else, and for the other light orbs he produced to be used to save Nagisa and turn time backwards.

clannad a shit

If only...

That makes no fucking sense

the facts are Clannad man killed himself but his soul went back in time to when he was the happiest which was at the end of Season 1. Ushio who loves Clannad man but knows that Clannad man loves Nagisa went back in time and became his daughter

0/10

Magic does not exist in the Clannad universe. The entire LN and Anime no fucking magic then magically magic exists so there can be a happy ending.

This is the cannon ending, Clannadman An Heroed and went to heaven

>Magic does not exist in the Clannad universe. The entire LN and Anime no fucking magic then magically magic exists so there can be a happy ending.

1. Fuko projecting herself as a spirit from her coma
2. Shima sending his cat back in human form from the afterlife to deliver a wish to Misae
3. (In the VN) Tomoya using a light orb to wish for Fuko to wake up
4. (In the VN) The light orb that floats down from the sky when Tomoya is going to sleep in Kotomi's garden
5. Everything in the illusionary world which is set up from episode 1 and the first scene in the VN
6. Tomoya and Nagisa both knowing the illusionary world story
7. Nagisa getting saved from her illness as a child by the trees in the city

Are you retarded?

>1. Fuko
Who?
>2. Shima sending his cat through time as a human
That's just crazy and can be simply explained as projecting the person as a cat.

3. Fuko had a medical condition and had apt time to recover

4. Clannad man is already losing it at this point if he's seeing shit that's bad

5. Illusionary world is literally just a dream or the personification of inner desires/feelings

6. See 5 everyone knows about it

7. coincidence

Well, you made me reply. Good job.

>In the VN all of the different routes are alternate realities
It's a time loop, not really alternate realities.

>Magic does not exist in the Clannad universe
Are you retarded?

>The entire LN and Anime
>LN
Okay, yeah, you are retarded.

Why the fuck are japs always using other languages incorrectly?

She's Tomoya-sexual.

No, they're alternate realities. The illusionary world is one of them and exists in an atemporal relation to the rest of them. There's nothing that states it's a time loop.

>There's nothing that states it's a time loop.
It's literally spelled out for you in the VN.

And where is that?

At the end of After Story, after Ushio's ending/death, it's stated that Tomoya is being sent to the past. The scene at the very beginning of the VN shows a portion of that ending as well, not only that,
but in Misae and Tomoyo's routes, in the scene where you get Misae's orb in Tomoyo's route, it's implied that Tomoya remembered the cat's wish from Misae's route, which had to be completed beforehand.

He's not told he's being sent to the past, he's just told that if he ever needs to save anyone, to reach out to the illusionary world and use the lights. He gets told this when you complete After Story even if you don't have all of the light orbs, meaning that you can't save Nagisa yet. The connections in Tomoyo/Misae and Fuko/Komura routes, and After Story bad/good ends, don't prove a time loop, they just show that the realities are intimately connected to each other, like how the emotions from there appear as shadows (lights) in the illusionary world. Why would there even be a time loop? Who is controlling it? Ushio? There's no indication she has the ability to do something like that.

>He's not told he's being sent to the past
?????

>The connections in Tomoyo/Misae and Fuko/Komura routes, and After Story bad/good ends, don't prove a time loop, they just show that the realities are intimately connected to each other
If realities are connected, then why would it only happen after you've read the previous routes?

Also
>Who is controlling it? Ushio? There's no indication she has the ability to do something like that.
Pic related

Did you miss the part about the illusionary world existing in the past or future in relation to the normal world, i.e. not being temporally related to it? There's not a "past" to be sent back to because it's not a temporal order. However, he is being sent out of the illusionary world.

>If realities are connected, then why would it only happen after you've read the previous routes?
So that the story will make sense.

You also have not answered why there would be a time loop. It's unnecessary for the story and would essentially give Ushio the power of god to be able to manipulate the world in that way, rather than just harnessing the emotions from the illusionary world for Tomoya to use.

Ushio's relation to the illusionary world doesn't give her the ability to time-loop the normal world until she gets a result that she wants. Everything in the normal part of Clannad is happening in the real world, not a construct like a certain other Key game, so someone being able to control it in that way is absurd.

The Illusionary world is a parallel world, and while it may not be tied to time in a way the real world is, Tomoya himself exists in both worlds.

>You also have not answered why there would be a time loop.
This shouldn't even be a question when the answer is obvious. Tomoya is being sent back in time to collect the light orbs of different people. Hell, it's stated in the first pic I presented.
If you're gonna talk about not answering things, then why haven't you acknowledged the fact that the ending to After Story appears in the very beginning of the VN?

>Ushio's relation to the illusionary world doesn't give her the ability to time-loop the normal world until she gets a result that she wants.
This one is a bit tricky because it's somewhat vauge in the VN, sorry is wording gets a bit weird. Like I said before, Tomoya exists and is linked to both worlds, Ushio has full control over the Illusionary world, well actually, it's stated that she IS the illusionary world or is becoming one with it. It's not too far of a stretch to say that she has the power to send a person who exists in both worlds into their past.

I got bored 4 episodes in, should I bother to go back?

It gets better. The beginning parts of the anime were rushed as fuck.

>The Illusionary world is a parallel world, and while it may not be tied to time in a way the real world is, Tomoya himself exists in both worlds.
I agree.
>then why haven't you acknowledged the fact that the ending to After Story appears in the very beginning of the VN?
Because it's not temporally related. It's the same reason you get parts of the Illusionary World in all of the routes, and Tomoya and Nagisa already know the story about the Illusionary World "before" it happens.
>This one is a bit tricky because it's somewhat vauge in the VN, sorry is wording gets a bit weird.
Yes, it's rather vague, I agree.
>It's not too far of a stretch to say that she has the power to send a person who exists in both worlds into their past.
I just don't see evidence in the game that something like that is happening. I mean, is Tomoyo After just a time loop in service of Ushio? If (when) Tomoya dies, does the world get reset or does it continue (thus making an alternate reality)? Alternate universes is simpler and makes more sense of all of the details, I think.

The part of the anime that people praise so much is After Story (season 2) episodes 9-22. The first season is good, but not incredible or anything. It does get better like said, though. If you stick with it you'll get rewarded in the end.

>It's the same reason you get parts of the Illusionary World in all of the routes
Hmm, technically, those parts only exist in Nagisa's route and a small portion of the common route. Some routes do however have you go through parts of Nagisa's route (Koumura and Fuko) so it'll appear there. Whether or not that's just bad novel design is up to the person reading it. In my opinion, those parts were only meant to exist in Nagisa's route, and not the other ones, especially considering the fact that Nagisa's route is meant to be done last. At that point I think it's just what order you read the routes.

>I just don't see evidence in the game that something like that is happening.
>Tomoyo After
Sadly I haven't read Tomoyo after, mostly because clannad took me about three months to read and I didn't have time to read the spin off, so what you just said doesn't make too much sense to me. All I know about it is that the ending has some ties to clannad. (I would ask you to clarify, but I'm afraid of spoilers)

But I think at this point that it's clear that the magic behind clannad is a bit too vague, and leaves a lot to the reader's interpretation. This is a key VN after all, there's no such thing as a clear answer to these stories.

>Sadly I haven't read Tomoyo after, mostly because clannad took me about three months to read and I didn't have time to read the spin off, so what you just said doesn't make too much sense to me. All I know about it is that the ending has some ties to clannad. (I would ask you to clarify, but I'm afraid of spoilers)

You should read Tomoyo After if you get a chance, it's great. But I can rephrase my question without reference to it, so I'll do that so I don't spoil anything.

What I was saying was that in any timeline other than Nagisa's good end, lets say when he gets with Kotomi or whoever, 1.) does that timeline continue past the end of the route? 2.) if it continues does Ushio snuff it out at some point or does it go until Tomoya would eventually die of old age or otherwise, 3.) if it continues to Tomoya's death, and he is then sent back into the past, does that timeline keep going? If it keeps going but Tomoya goes back to the past, then you've just ended up with alternate realities. I think the contrary, that Ushio ends the timeline in some way is silly since it would give her god-like powers over the world.

>But I think at this point that it's clear that the magic behind clannad is a bit too vague, and leaves a lot to the reader's interpretation. This is a key VN after all, there's no such thing as a clear answer to these stories.

I agree. The mysterious quality of the magic involved can be very interesting, but also frustrating when you think about it too much.

>What I was saying was that in any timeline other than Nagisa's good end.....I think the contrary, that Ushio ends the timeline in some way is silly since it would give her god-like powers over the world.
That's another tricky one because it's all so damn vague and depends on your interpretation of time itself and souls. So again it all comes down to interpretation and how you read the VN. It's clear that the timeline that happens in that route continues past the ending, it happens with Nagisa's route after all, and continues for years after (Same for Kappei's route and Tomoyo's route(maybe)). I like to believe that the Illusion world, while not bounded by time, it's still bounded to Tomoya to a certain extent, so whenever the illusionary girl dies, Tomoya gets sent back in time. Again that's just my interpretation of it. I fully admit that it can be any of the three.

>but also frustrating when you think about it too much.
Way too true. It's like trying to play 4D chess against Jun Maeda and his queen Naoki Hisaya.

Do you happen to have Discord, Steam, or any other way to communicate outside of Sup Forums? I enjoyed our debate and would like to talk about stuff like this again in the future.

>Do you happen to have Discord, Steam, or any other way to communicate outside of Sup Forums?

I don't, sorry. I have Steam but I'm almost never on. I don't even have it installed right now. But thanks for the conversation, I enjoyed it as well.

Ah, really? That's a shame, though I do recommend getting a discord account since it can also be used on browsers.